Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: The Classic Warrior, Reimagined

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We've been diving into WildStar's beta all week long, and today we're previewing the Warrior with thoughts on the classic MMO class as it appears in Carbine's sci-fantasy MMORPG. Read on for our full impressions.

I'll admit... of all WildStar's classes, the Warrior seems the least enticing because it's the one class we have in all other MMOs and RPGs. But just because the name is the same doesn't mean Carbine isn't seeking to have some fun with the sword-wielding tropes. After nine levels, the WildStar Warrior reminds me more of Diablo's beloved Barbarian than of say a typical tanking Warrior from other games. The high action and mechanics that reward you for going berserk on hordes of mobs mean the Warrior in this game is an absolute blast to play. 

Read all of Bill Murphy's WildStar: The Classic Warrior, Reimagined

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I was so looking forward to this. I know it is similar to WoW, but does it have to look identical.  Down to the yellow gears to activate the nodes.

I am a huge fan in their dev team, surely something more... inspiring, could be used?

-WL

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    bill, is it really so on rails? 
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Looks fun! We have seen it before but I don't care. I am a bit worried that it is too easy though. I love entering a dungeon and having to worry about aggroing too many mobs. You just run through them too easy.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

That is the first real gameplay video I've watched for Wildstar.

Though it only represents a small facet of the gameplay types and variety offered in the game, it was nearly indistinguishable from WoW.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

ZZZZzzzzz

Hum, what?  Oh they want to charge a box price on top of a monthly sub for this?  Hah,..ok.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Aion smashes it graphically even being 5 years old.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

OMG BILL!!!

hook me up in Wildstar!!! 'friend me!!!!- i needz a beta key!

>:

plz!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well first of all he looks fruity and runs fruity,like he is prancing or something,so hardly looks like a Warrior.

Then he directly runs for a yellow marker over a NPC head,that was enough to have me turn off the video and sadly i am always interested in watching a good game video and USUALLY WS has some good ones.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    anyone know what the deal is with NCSOFT servers, I try to log in but get NCSOFT login servers down,  when I goto NCsoft it says invalid password, and I cant log in there
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    lol @ the bugs.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Looking like wow is not the problem...it should look even more like wow...the combat represented in here sucks imo...copy the wow combat not this crap, make big non instanced zones.

The zone looks too mutch on rails..small sorrounded by closed mountains..give open space.

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22
    Stop with the nonstop informational updates and just open the beta to people! At this point, the only effect your updates are going to have is making people turn off from the game.

I've been following and looking forward to this for a very long time now... and now they're losing me.
  • nk362ynk362y Member UncommonPosts: 31
    lol i get a massive kick outta people on this forum 
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Good to see the leap attack on the warrior at early levels. Makes the combat so much better for it.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Pocahinha

Looking like wow is not the problem...it should look even more like wow...the combat represented in here sucks imo...copy the wow combat not this crap, make big non instanced zones.

The zone looks too mutch on rails..small sorrounded by closed mountains..give open space.

Although it wasn't included, the player goes through a jumping puzzle with crystals that make you jump/float further (featured in earlier videos) to get to that (semi-secret) area. If you don't want to do the jumping, you can skip the area featured in this clip entirely. That's the reasoning for why it appears closed in.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I love the aesthetics of this game... and the combat looks fun.

Gonna try this game for sure.

Haters gonna hate.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Nitth
    lol @ the bugs.

Yeah, those Yeti animations, right?!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Probably the class I'm most interested in, together with the Spellslinger.

I don't like the look of the other classes too much. And wearing heavy armor in a game that has classes with togglable stealth is always wise.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Oh boy!  Lets have yet another boring tab target combat mmo..... not.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Oh boy!  Lets have yet another boring tab target combat mmo..... not.

Only if one feature defined boring:

Example ArcheAge has tab targetting and is by far one of the deepest and most engrossing MMORPGs I've played period (been playing MMOs since UO in 98)

Also Darkfall - terrible combat execution

So one feature doesn't define the entire experience.

You make a good point.  But, AA and other tab target mmos are available for this user to play.  Does Wildstar really need to be yet another one?  One of the best features of this game is it's unique combat system.  I wouldn't want it changed to tab target.  The same way I would not want Tera switched to Tab target.

The combat doesnt look that smooth to me, I know this is subjective but it looks choppy.

The running animation feels stiff and again looks like there are frames missing.

None of this matters if the gameplay is solid, and that's hard to judge from a short video.

Whether it looks that way or not.  Let me assure you.  Being in beta, the combat is very smooth and works very well.

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

They sure did reimagine the Warrior.

As a big poop.

Its poop.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

The combat doesnt look that smooth to me, I know this is subjective but it looks choppy.

The running animation feels stiff and again looks like there are frames missing.

None of this matters if the gameplay is solid, and that's hard to judge from a short video.

Whether it looks that way or not.  Let me assure you.  Being in beta, the combat is very smooth and works very well.

I lol'd so hard snot came out.

Combat DOESNT work very well, but it doesnt do it very well smoothly.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I think the combat mechanics seem good enough. I am just worried about the difficulty. The warrior only got his shield knocked down a few times and most fights were completely one sided. Would like to see the fight against trash mobs be a little more of a challenge.