Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    Originally posted by DMKano

IMO folks who love WoW - stick with WoW.

Clueless.

Wow is down over 6 million subs, they didn't all just leave the genre.

tell me another sub based game that has 6 or almost 6 million subs?

WoW will kill itself. They lost the other 6 millions they had because of the two latest expansions, not because of the latest few mmos.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by rojo6934

WoW will kill itself. They lost the other 6 millions they had because of the two latest expansions, not because of the latest few mmos.

actually, titan will :) no one else.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Somebody pass the popcorn...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by rojo6934

actually, titan will :) no one else.

It's seems like there is an mmo race going on right now. Which will launch first...Titan or World of darkness. The winner will kill wow :P

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Seeing a WoW killer thread really takes me back. People never learn. 
  • cpupowercpupower Member Posts: 28
    Wildstar will not take subs away from WoW, because 1). It's not as good as WoW. 2).It's totally different than WoW in every way. 3). It plays like a console game. The best way I could describe this game is Ratchet and Clank the MMO. If NCSOFT ports this game to the consoles where it truly belongs they would make a killing.
  • LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I love following threads like these... Anywho, after watching game play videos and such. I think it will do well in the market. Will it merit a sub? I don't know, I think it will do fine, and be stable. It will be nothing like WoW though, and it won't tamper with WoW's subs. We all have all these new AAA MMOs coming out, and none of them will stagger WoW. Someone said before, people who play WoW, stay with WoW. I hope this game does well though. I probably won't touch it, but you know... I still have hope, and want this game to have success. Please stop naming every new AAA a WoW killer. It's just obnoxious 

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by syriinx

It wont do jack to WoW (or other games)

Only WoW can kill itself, just like other games have.

This imo has been proven over and over again.

Also WoW didn't make a serious impact on any of the previous games either.

Rift at release was "wow done better" - Rift today is vastly different and stands on its own, but it made no impact on WoW.

GW2, FF14ARR..… no impact.

Wildstar won't be any different.

Clueless.

He is partially right.  No game's release has EVER made a noticeable impact on WoW.   

WoW being down 6 million subs has very little to do with the competition and more to do with the direction and the age of WoW.  There isnt a single downward spike you can attribute to a game's release.

WoW did make a serious impact on EQ, that is unquestionable.  The game went from it peak subs to sharp downward turn pretty much overnight.  EQ2 is partly to blame too of course.

If you want to take subs away from WoW you need a game thats not like WoW.  WoW played absolutely nothing like EQ.  There were familiar concepts because of the genre, but the two games are about as different as games get.  WoW addressed some of the issues people had with EQ (needing large chunks of time to accomplish things, being unable to solo).

Also WoW's combat and presentation are superior to any of the games its inspired.  DMKano called Rift a better WoW, but he couldnt be more wrong.  The combat is inferior and the presentation is a huge leap backwards.  Any game wanting to take subs from WoW needs to at least equal it there, and no game has done so yet.

I agree with this; no themepark mmorpg will be the next WoW killer. Either WoW will dissipate from attrition due to lacking retention ratings, Blizzard will finally release Titan, or a AAA fully fledged Sandbox mmorpg will change the marktet for good ala WoW(Doubtful in this; although it would gather all the sandbox players to make the most sucessful sandbox mmorpg of all time).

I am hoping the last option happens myself; but with sandbox you usually get penalties causals don't like. So I am thinking a hybrid themepark/sandbox will become the next WoW. All the things themepark things; but also sandbox things like; voxel building, player houses anywherel intricate crafting, territory control with spawling player kingdoms; finally ultra realistic NPCS, ect ,ect.

MurderHerd

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by cpupower
    Wildstar will not take subs away from WoW, because 1). It's not as good as WoW. 2).It's totally different than WoW in every way. 3). It plays like a console game. The best way I could describe this game is Ratchet and Clank the MMO. If NCSOFT ports this game to the consoles where it truly belongs they would make a killing.

Bravo - you just made me laugh and nod in agreement at the same time - what a great point.

Side Note: If anything, the misleading advertisements as of late for Wildstar has made me even less interested in the game - "Beta Now Open!" Technically true, yet extremely misleading on purpose... between this and the ridiculous GW2 pledge BS it makes you wonder what the heck NCSoft is thinking.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Wow, the billionth "this mmo will be the wow killer or equalizer" thread for an upcoming mmo.  Oh yes,  I'm sure this will definitely be the one.  

Oh look, another original post .  Haven't already seen this same line 10 times in this thread.  Felt important jumping on the hate wagon huh?

Originally posted by deniter
    Originally posted by Malacth
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    How many people who leave wow are really looking to play wow only different.

Most I'd bet. They want something that isn't WoW but still has a familiar feel. That's what I want anyway.

Me too. Not that easy mode crap but the real wow i learned to love.

Maybe you should watch more of the gameplay videos and not just read their bragging about hard raids.  Not sure when the last time was  I correlated big arrows on the screen pointing me to my next quest objective to challenging and non-easy mode.

You obviously have not played the game.  The video you are speaking of is a starter area.  You know a STARTER area.  Of course it will be easy.  Not everyone is a MMO vet..  It's pretty obvious you are one of the hardcore sandbox fanboys.  Boy, must get old constantly fighting the tide of popularity.  You all sound the same.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

I thought WildStar was pretty disappointing. The combat is fastpaced and PvP matches were definitely fun, but the question was absolutely soulcrushing. After the first 4 levels you're dropped onto a planet, and it's literally questhub to questhub to kill 20 boars. The writing isn't nearly as funny or witty as the trailers they release, and the voice acting is limited to oneliners like 'Howdy partner'. Maybe I played the wrong class, the wrong race or just had a bad day, but as fun as the combat was and as interesting as the path quests were, the regular leveling was mindnumbingly boring to me.

I've played every major MMO released since WoW and have had my share of "Wow, this is going to be the next big thing" moments (in Age of Conan and Guild Wars mostly), but this game does not raise that feeling. Maybe end game is the most amazing thing you'll ever play, but if I lose interest before I even hit level 10, that doesn't scream wow-killer to me.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Hatefull

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

Honestly not a post I expected to see from you. Not that I agree or disagree, for my taste it is still way to early to make that call so I will sit and watch a while longer.

Shame this topic had to be brought up here. If this could be discussed in a less hostile/troll infested environment it could be pretty interesting.

Hehe yeah I'm not cheerleading or hating. There are some good replies I've sifted through though. I was simply thinking out loud. I was thinking that I have seen a ton of games try to be the next huge mmo either by making their own style or by copying WoW.

They all have seemed to have a niche following, nothing as huge as what Blizzard did. But Wildstar seems to be going directly for the jugular. When you look at what it is offering and the style in which it is doing it, its pretty smart and hasnt been done so far.

They are making an mmo that is a feature for feature upgrade to everything I liked about Vanilla WoW plus everything that I wouldve liked to see Vanilla WoW evolve into. Its like they took vanilla and bc, added housing, made the setting sci fi, and updated the visuals. All while keeping the same nostalgic feel of what made that game so popular to so many of us when it launched.

We will see. And of course I may be wrong. NOt really worried about being wrong or right about this. Just thought it was interesting.

I honestly don't believe you should have to explain your opinion.  You have ever right to post this thread.  Trolls and haters will flock to any thread that doesn't appeal to them.  I also love all the attacks on the game from "cartoon graphics" or I saw the starter area = game is shit.  If anything, it has been amusing reading some of the idiotic posts lol.

Originally posted by IsilithTehroth
    Originally posted by syriinx

It wont do jack to WoW (or other games)

Only WoW can kill itself, just like other games have.

This imo has been proven over and over again.

Also WoW didn't make a serious impact on any of the previous games either.

Rift at release was "wow done better" - Rift today is vastly different and stands on its own, but it made no impact on WoW.

GW2, FF14ARR..… no impact.

Wildstar won't be any different.

Clueless.

He is partially right.  No game's release has EVER made a noticeable impact on WoW.   

WoW being down 6 million subs has very little to do with the competition and more to do with the direction and the age of WoW.  There isnt a single downward spike you can attribute to a game's release.

WoW did make a serious impact on EQ, that is unquestionable.  The game went from it peak subs to sharp downward turn pretty much overnight.  EQ2 is partly to blame too of course.

If you want to take subs away from WoW you need a game thats not like WoW.  WoW played absolutely nothing like EQ.  There were familiar concepts because of the genre, but the two games are about as different as games get.  WoW addressed some of the issues people had with EQ (needing large chunks of time to accomplish things, being unable to solo).

Also WoW's combat and presentation are superior to any of the games its inspired.  DMKano called Rift a better WoW, but he couldnt be more wrong.  The combat is inferior and the presentation is a huge leap backwards.  Any game wanting to take subs from WoW needs to at least equal it there, and no game has done so yet.

I agree with this; no themepark mmorpg will be the next WoW killer. Either WoW will dissipate from attrition due to lacking retention ratings, Blizzard will finally release Titan, or a AAA fully fledged Sandbox mmorpg will change the marktet for good ala WoW(Doubtful in this; although it would gather all the sandbox players to make the most sucessful sandbox mmorpg of all time).

I am hoping the last option happens myself; but with sandbox you usually get penalties causals don't like. So I am thinking a hybrid themepark/sandbox will become the next WoW. All the things themepark things; but also sandbox things like; voxel building, player houses anywherel intricate crafting, territory control with spawling player kingdoms; finally ultra realistic NPCS, ect ,ect.

I see what you are saying, but here's something to think about.  Even though the vocal minority on this forum scream "sandbox" doesn't mean it's what the masses really want.  This is obvious with WoW having so many subs.  People love themepark mmos.  Especially the casual players.  Only a portion of mmo gamers love sandbox mmos or even know what they are.  If I am wrong, why is the market not flooded with sandbox mmos or at the very least have a good portion of it?  Please don't respond with MMOs that are not launched yet.  As far as EVE, well that is a completely different game all together.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Blizzard did not do anything to EQ,it never had good graphics and never had housing and EQ2 started you in big cities that took effort to make while Wow started you in some bland looking open space with a few npc's with yellow markers over their heads.Also EQ2 had some unique and cool npc's that wandered around saying funny stuff.Wow was simply a real cheap effort at a EQ/EQ2 clone.

As for WS,well i guess they are former Blizzard,so stylistic art is NOT the case,simply copying the lower end graphics to support a cheaper game to make and run.WS may be adding some stuff Wow still does not have which is a good thing but it still comes down to everything will look BAD,and NOT stylistic which is more like copying the BAD side of Wow.

WS will do something a bit different than most,not all but most and that is separate the game ,but imo it is not a good thing.What WOW missed and WS misses and so many others,is how to stick to making a role playing game and not some game with a bunch of systems designed to give you xp,there is a HUGE difference between the two.

There is absolutely no reason to tell a player to pick adventure mode or any other mode,make your world and game good enough that players can pick and choose how they play and that includes choosing between camping mobs or following the non rpg element of questing for xp.

The other thing WS will do is the red carpet treatment,sure there is some fancy designs to make players move,but you can achieve that without the red carpet hand holding,this just makes it so players do not have to learn mobs or figure out the tricks,it is VERY easy mode hand holding.Sadly even my beloved Square Enix team does some of it in FFXIV,maybe another reason i am not playing that game either,i hate hand holding.

Bottom line is,it should be no problem to be a threat to WOW sub numbers when quality comes to mind,but seems players don't play Wow for quality but the carrot on the stick looting dungeons.A QUALITY game would be one where by you enjoy every aspect of a game and couldn't care less about some instance looting treadmill or questing treadmill  that takes the mmo out of mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    There are very good reasons no game very similar to WoW has been successful in the post WoW era.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Wow, the billionth "this mmo will be the wow killer or equalizer" thread for an upcoming mmo.  Oh yes,  I'm sure this will definitely be the one.  

Oh look, another original post .  Haven't already seen this same line 10 times in this thread.  Felt important jumping on the hate wagon huh?

it obviously must be to you if you felt you had to create 'yet another' account to try to combat them. Desperate, much ?

Originally posted by Phry

it obviously must be to you if you felt you had to create 'yet another' account to try to combat them. Desperate, much ?

Actually, I've been on the site for a pretty long time.  Just never really had an account here.  So, I didn't make "yet another" account.  You are grasping for straws here me thinks.

Actually, I've been on the site for a pretty long time.  Just never really had an account here.  So, I didn't make "yet another" account.  You are grasping for straws here me thinks.  I'm guessing you are taking a break from spewing more vitriol about Wildstar.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Actually, I've been on the site for a pretty long time.  Just never really had an account here.  So, I didn't make "yet another" account.  You are grasping for straws here me thinks.  I'm guessing you are taking a break from spewing more vitriol about Wildstar.

You're really not helping anything with your posts, but do continue. I find it amusing. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The stylized graphics are sharper

The graphics might be, but the art style won't pull players away.  WoW is at least fantasy themed with western-style lore.  Wildstar seems to have that f2p asian feeling to it, with a sci-fi theme.  The two are vastly different in immersion.

• JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127

We don't need a "WoW Killer", Blizzard can torpedo it's own IP's just fine without help.

And I say this as someone who quit playing WoW after playing for seven years and enjoying it for the most part.

Though I can't wait to get my hands on Wild Star as I hope it is as awesome as it looks.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what 

Problem with all games is described in this "attitude" post. Nothing more to add.

I'm however barely waiting to play Wildstar .. but not because it might kill any game. Because i would love to have FUN, enjoy game. Problem with so many people is they bother a lot how might some game kill other game instead of how good might be. Without comparing.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Nadia

Actually WoW is the MMO Genre now. It's the most widely known MMO game, and widely played MMO game, and will continue to be for a very long time. It will become a relic when it has thousands of people playing it, not millions.

agree - WOW may as well be culture now

This.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It's missing one very key element that Wow has, a popular IP behind it.

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

I don't think so. WoW didn't get it's growth because all those people that never played an MMORPG before were fans of Warcraft. It grew to millions because everyone ELSE was playing. The IP was just a bonus for those familiar with fantasy. We have already seen how a popular IP doesn't spell a great following. It really is all about how the game plays.

I think because Wildstar has the originality that far too many MMOs lack is one of it strong points and sets it apart.

I'm curious, what exactly is so original about Wildstar, seems very much a game along the lines of vanilla WOW, what am I missing?

You brought up IP to the discussion and that is what I'm talking about. Are you trying to tell me that the lore of Wildstar is a clone of Warcraft or something?

OP is right. The only missing puzzle is how much content there is to hold them and convince them to stay permanently. WoW is such an old relic of MMORPGs of the past.

Actually WoW is the MMO Genre now. It's the most widely known MMO game, and widely played MMO game, and will continue to be for a very long time. It will become a relic when it has thousands of people playing it, not millions.

If that is your criteria for a relic, cool. It will happen eventually. WoW will be the PacMan of MMO games and it will only be played as a novelty in the future.

I agree it will, eventually. And by eventually I mean it won't get to the PacMan level for another 10-20 years easily. And it will only reach this stage because Blizzard's next big project takes over, leaving WoW in it's shadow.

I'd like to change my first statement, WoW is not the MMO genre, Blizzard is.