Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• xcerebrusxcerebrus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Ill be dumping WoW for this game for sure like the OP said it  just looks like a much better version of WoW in every aspect.  Cant wait.
  • xcerebrusxcerebrus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Xirik

EVERY YEAR THIS THREAD COMES UP WITH SOME FANCY MMO AND GUESS WHAT  IT DOESN'T KILL WOW.NOW PLEASE STOP MAKING THESE ******** THREADS. NOBODY CARES  I MAD?yes! Since 2004 There has been so many of these wow killer threads and this last one just made me snap. For that I hate you OP.WTF HAS WOW DONE TO YOU THAT YOU WANT IT TO DIE SO BAD?! ITS NOT NORMAL TO MAKE THESE THREADS!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This box is filled with every swear and ill world in the world that I wish I could say right now  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------p.s I feel like crying right now, the  universe is upside down for me now.

I wouldn't click on the thread then?
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by deniter
    Originally posted by Malacth
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    How many people who leave wow are really looking to play wow only different.

Most I'd bet. They want something that isn't WoW but still has a familiar feel. That's what I want anyway.

Me too. Not that easy mode crap but the real wow i learned to love.

Maybe you should watch more of the gameplay videos and not just read their bragging about hard raids.  Not sure when the last time was  I correlated big arrows on the screen pointing me to my next quest objective to challenging and non-easy mode.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by xcerebrus
    Ill be dumping WoW for this game for sure like the OP said it  just looks like a much better version of WoW in every aspect.  Cant wait.

It might look like it, but it sure isn t.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    It's missing one very key element that Wow has, a popular IP behind it.

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

I don't think so. WoW didn't get it's growth because all those people that never played an MMORPG before were fans of Warcraft. It grew to millions because everyone ELSE was playing. The IP was just a bonus for those familiar with fantasy. We have already seen how a popular IP doesn't spell a great following. It really is all about how the game plays.

I think because Wildstar has the originality that far too many MMOs lack is one of it strong points and sets it apart.

I'm curious, what exactly is so original about Wildstar, seems very much a game along the lines of vanilla WOW, what am I missing?

Seriously this ^^^^^  It's a themepark clone with it's own little twist just like every other.  They all have their 1 or 2 claims to fame over the same old skeleton -  Wildstar's being more housing and the pathing system.  The idea that this game is breaking the mold is laughable, hell even the fans happily call it wow 2.0

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

I don't think so. WoW didn't get it's growth because all those people that never played an MMORPG before were fans of Warcraft. It grew to millions because everyone ELSE was playing. The IP was just a bonus for those familiar with fantasy. We have already seen how a popular IP doesn't spell a great following. It really is all about how the game plays.

I think because Wildstar has the originality that far too many MMOs lack is one of it strong points and sets it apart.

I'm curious, what exactly is so original about Wildstar, seems very much a game along the lines of vanilla WOW, what am I missing?

You brought up IP to the discussion and that is what I'm talking about. Are you trying to tell me that the lore of Wildstar is a clone of Warcraft or something?

No, I wasn't suggesting it was cloning Warcraft's lore, in fact I'm not even aware that Wildstar has a lore.  Originality in lore isn't a bonus if no one know of it.

Which is really the point, WOW brought a long tradition of IP/lore with it, which many of the early adopters were well familiar with and it helped draw them to the game.

Wildstar's is largely unknown, I'll bet even by the more hardcore gaming player base out there.

Then what were you suggesting? That Wildstar has completely unoriginal gameplay then? Ok, that was very much offtopic so better let that go. Obviously superior gameplay wins.

Since you know that an IP is more than just the lore, you know that Wildstar's original IP goes beyond the lore. So whatever "limited" lore Wildstar has is really beside the point as to what is in an the IP.

Seriously, do the majority of the WoW players know any of the Warcraft lore pre-WoW? I doubt it. All they know is it has a "history" whatever that means to them. All of that is really insignificant compared to the power of people spreading the word about a game. The lore, history, whatever all that is a bonus in comparison.

I don't doubt that the whole history of Warcraft has helped WoW in some way but not like the golden ticket to success that you make it sound. If that is what you think then you must think only old IP games are the successful ones and that is not something I can accept.

We'll see if they hear about it. Just wait.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Star Citizen is your game then Kyleran. Whenever it comes out at any rate.

He said MMORPG.    Star Citizen may qualify in the definition of MMO these days, but certainly not MMORPG.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Margulis

Most I'd bet. They want something that isn't WoW but still has a familiar feel. That's what I want anyway.

Maybe you should watch more of the gameplay videos and not just read their bragging about hard raids.  Not sure when the last time was  I correlated big arrows on the screen pointing me to my next quest objective to challenging and non-easy mode.

I just thought the whole wow isn't easy mode comment was funny. WoW is how mmos became " easy mode"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Could we lay off the WoW killer speculation for every new game? Its getting old.

There are too many variables to make a reasonable guess as to how WoW will be impacted:

1) How well will Carbine advertise outside of the diehard MMO fansites?

2) Are the majority of people who play WoW even interested in a Science Fiction setting?

3) WoWs new expansion has a lot of people excited, and the updated character models and animations might rekindle a lot of attention for WoW.

4) When will WoW's expansion be released?

All of these things would contribute to how many subs Wildstar takes off WoW.  Don't get me wrong, it looks like a good game and I am going to try it, but you cant speak for the majority of people who play WoW, most of whom are blissfully ignorant of most other MMOs and sites such as this.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by xcerebrus Ill be dumping WoW for this game for sure like the OP said it  just looks like a much better version of WoW in every aspect.  Cant wait.

But it is... see how I can do that too?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I just thought the whole wow isn't easy mode comment was funny. WoW is how mmos became " easy mode"

Yes and no. WoW made levelling content and dungeons easy and user friendly, but the heroic raids have always been finely tuned for challenge.  I would still say that EQ2 had the most challenging raids of all games back in the RoK / TSO era, but WoW definitely doesn't slack in the raiding challenge or arena challenge department.

I guess it all depends on what you classify as easy. Most of what 'vets' classify as 'easy' actually just means 'user friendly and intuitive'.  I don't really want my challenge in a game to be wrestling with the UI, where the solution is usually a 3rd party UI, which pretty much negates any 'hard mode' stigma attached to it anyway.  There was nothing difficult about the older games, they just required more fiddling around or time sinks.  

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    These types of threads should be regarded as trolling/flame-bait and locked as such. The topic is foolish, redundant, never results in meaningful discussion of any kind, and is always, 100% of the time, unequivocally wrong. There hasn't been a single game that was heralded as the "next wow killer", or "game that will impact wow subs", that ever came close to actually earning that distinction. They all cruise on by with modest subscription numbers at best, or fizzle into the mmo graveyard at worst.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Only people I see trolling here are the ones screaming "wow killr thread"(derail) when if you read the OP he very clearly doesn't say such or even impy that WoW will end because of Wildstar.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Only people I see trolling here are the ones screaming "wow killr thread"(derail) when if you read the OP he very clearly doesn't say such or even impy that WoW will end because of Wildstar.

The OP says that the game will "hit WoW's subs hard" and "they may just beat them at their own game" and finally "I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it". It doesn't need to have the words "wow killer" in it to be a wow killer thread, we all know what it is.

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

No, No and No, WoW is WoW and it will always remain popular until Blizzard decides to make a sequal or something to replace it, I have played Lineage 2 for over 10 years, i have played Aion for about 3 years and trust me when i say, NCSoft will ruin this game, just like they did with L2 and Aion and before people flame me, yes alot of people are playing L2 and Aion still, but trust me, if they didnt ruin them way back few years ago, they would have x4 the player base they have right now.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

WOW got its growth from Blizzard, which made its name by making 3 solid franchises.  That alone, and the launch of EQ2 a monthish before hand and its non-friendly introduction versus WOWs extremely friendly introduction allowed it to grow massively.  It grew exponentially because it became mainstream popular.

So sure, yes every new MMO has a chance to become popular..but short of everyone's friend playing it, it will not achieve the success WOW has, nor do I think any other MMO released in the next few years will get close.

Now more inline, don't you think the average WOW player has seen there guildmates leave for a short period before coming back to WOW for the ones that are dying to jump ship, but jump right back as soon as the grass isn't any greener.  Its going to take a lot of convincing the constants in WOW to that finally the grass might be greener.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

What does a quest arrow ( that you can turn off in the options ) have to do with hard raids?

No.

Originally posted by strangepowers

Originally posted by xcerebrus Ill be dumping WoW for this game for sure like the OP said it  just looks like a much better version of WoW in every aspect.  Cant wait.

Neat, you sure can. I m going to go on what I ve seen, and it isn t a better version of anything, to me, neat how I can do that hey.

• Omegam0Omegam0 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Honestly I dont see many MMo's these days being a wow killer due to a few things

so start with what got wow to be so popular

1. Big Ip name

2. Had a good team with a good budget

3. it was really easy to learn the game

4. as more people started to flock to it, it became more fun due to finding and making friends easier

5. its graphics while cartoony, still appealed to adults of all types

6. There was a ton of mystery in the lore, always wondering what they would add next with all the lore they had, before any expansion people were a buzz about what the expansions would be like

now lets look at it now

1. while it has lost a decent amount of subs, it still has a huge player base, so its still easy to find groups and make friends

2. Now that they are "dumbing it down" its attracting more of the casual players who couldnt stay into the game before

3. There are more appealing things in the game for kids, so those parents who have been playing for awhile can now play with their kids

4. its had such a reaction with main stream media (heard a movie is in the works) that people are starting to accept it as a daily fact that people play it and are "less" judgmental to it as they once were

5. It has a ton of content for people to do, and they seem to always be adding more

6. Even with some negative press, its a rare thing that one stays afloat and thrives. it almost defies the whole "1 person tells 20 people negative reactions to the game, 1 person tels 2 people positive reactions to the game"

I dont see anything being a "wow killer" other then time, after awhile people will move on to something else, but its not going to be because the new game (if its an MMo even) is better then wow, but because people just tire of it.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yes and no. WoW made levelling content and dungeons easy and user friendly, but the heroic raids have always been finely tuned for challenge.  I would still say that EQ2 had the most challenging raids of all games back in the RoK / TSO era, but WoW definitely doesn't slack in the raiding challenge or arena challenge department.

I guess it all depends on what you classify as easy. Most of what 'vets' classify as 'easy' actually just means 'user friendly and intuitive'.  I don't really want my challenge in a game to be wrestling with the UI, where the solution is usually a 3rd party UI, which pretty much negates any 'hard mode' stigma attached to it anyway.  There was nothing difficult about the older games, they just required more fiddling around or time sinks.  

I wasn't really bashing wow. I played for 4 years, I can't complain. Just thought that comment was funny, considering the game that was used and it's history and lasting effect on the genre.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Neat, you sure can. I m going to go on what I ve seen, and it isn t a better version of anything, to me, neat how I can do that hey.

Really dude? You go out of your way to be redundant?

Based on logic, anything you have seen and what YOU happen think about is is highly subjective at the very least.

In all it is a good thing that just because you "say so" doesn't necessarily make it so. It's not your world, you just live in it.

The point is if you are going to make such sweeping and disparaging statements at least have some solid facts/examples to back it up other than "cause I say so." Because the first thing that does for you is discredit anything that follows.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Hatefull
    I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better. The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path. I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

Honestly not a post I expected to see from you. Not that I agree or disagree, for my taste it is still way to early to make that call so I will sit and watch a while longer.

Shame this topic had to be brought up here. If this could be discussed in a less hostile/troll infested environment it could be pretty interesting.

Hehe yeah I'm not cheerleading or hating. There are some good replies I've sifted through though. I was simply thinking out loud. I was thinking that I have seen a ton of games try to be the next huge mmo either by making their own style or by copying WoW.

They all have seemed to have a niche following, nothing as huge as what Blizzard did. But Wildstar seems to be going directly for the jugular. When you look at what it is offering and the style in which it is doing it, its pretty smart and hasnt been done so far.

They are making an mmo that is a feature for feature upgrade to everything I liked about Vanilla WoW plus everything that I wouldve liked to see Vanilla WoW evolve into. Its like they took vanilla and bc, added housing, made the setting sci fi, and updated the visuals. All while keeping the same nostalgic feel of what made that game so popular to so many of us when it launched.

We will see. And of course I may be wrong. NOt really worried about being wrong or right about this. Just thought it was interesting.

Really dude? You go out of your way to be redundant?

Based on logic, anything you have seen and what YOU happen think about is is highly subjective at the very least.

In all it is a good thing that just because you "say so" doesn't necessarily make it so. It's not your world, you just live in it.

The point is if you are going to make such sweeping and disparaging statements at least have some solid facts/examples to back it up other than "cause I say so." Because the first thing that does for you is discredit anything that follows.

All you have to read is the "to me"part. Not hard to understand.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

"This game will be the WoW killer!"  has never been a true statement yet.  Everyone who has ever claimed that has been wrong so far.  I think WoW kills braincells faster than a lead paint diet, and enjoyed my time with pvp in Wildstar at Gamestop Expo 2013, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to make this "killer" claim.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

ladies and gentlemen, we got a wow killer, please step aside and let him move along!

this is TOTALY not the same as the last 8 years. this is TOTALY different!

"They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ."

seriously? you are saying the make the mmo available and interesting for the masses? damn if only someone would have done so before...... uh wait, blizz did.

you CANNOT do what blizz did. what blizz does is ALWAYS about timing. that timing is gone for about 8 years now. so, what exactly are they doing? beside making combat even more "obvious"?

i dont think blizz needs to fear that little game. and i think they know it :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"