Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: The Spellslinger - Gotta Love the Space Cowboy

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Information about WildStar has come largely from Carbine Studios....until this week. We're continuing our coverage with a look today at the Spellslinger. Read on!

The best way I can describe the Spellslinger is a ranged rogue style class. You do not where heavy armor, you do not charge into battle. You more or less stand on the outsides and blast away with some devastating attacks. All of the combat in WildStar is area of effect based. The Spellslinger takes full advantage of these area attacks. They also have much more narrow lines of targeting to blast spells like Ignite against opponents. Using these targeting archs are critical to winning combats. The basic attack with the two pistols has a much wider arch to catch your foe in, but it is the longer ranged blasts that you need to make sure are angled correctly. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's WildStar: The Spellslinger - Gotta Love the Space Cowboy.

Eat Laser, Skullface!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    No disrespect intended against the MMORPG staff it just seem like this game  "WildStar" is getting push down our throat. Nothing new here lets move along.

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107
    To be fair to MMORPG : Wildstar is a pretty big release with a lot of info coming out about it. What else is a MMO site going to write about?

r.i.p. c!

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    It's paid advertisement. Like when the guy on the radio talks about or recommends Carbonite.

Joy...
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

I mean if they can talk about this stuff....then they need to at least do a complete job...like for example this particular class doesn't have just ranged attacks....it gets melee ones as well....that do not synergize with using range.

And range-wise....since everything can shoot at you in this game back....it gives no real advantage....so in a way this character class is very sub-par...as it has low health and low armor....with ranged attacks that just don't do much....and way to many things that can get in melee range or shoot at range that do a lot more damage.

Its not a rogue class....but more like a ranged class stuck with some sub-par abilities and really bad damage.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You'd think this game was launching next week or something
  • BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37
    You'd think people who visit gaming news sites would like to read new articles and news, instead of complain about too much info too soon.
  • AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Don't like it?  Don't click on it....

Uhh... what?

• ripailaripaila Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Ncsoft and their class names :) In Lineage 2 they have Spellsinger (mage  class) and here Spellslinger haha
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well it makes sense... it is a gunslinger that cast spells... Spellslinger... At least it is better then say Warriro.. or Stalker... Or for the love of deity X Mage...

Funny fact... Mage in Swedish means stomach.

This have been a good conversation

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by officialfive
    No disrespect intended against the MMORPG staff it just seem like this game  "WildStar" is getting push down our throat. Nothing new here lets move along.

NDA for the first 15 levels (iirc) has been dropped for the press, and you expect them to...not post anything? They pretty much do this for any big release. Post what they can, when they can.

Same will happen for ESO, and EQN (both versions), and Warlords of Draenor, and Destiny....you get my point.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Kaneth

NDA for the first 15 levels (iirc) has been dropped for the press, and you expect them to...not post anything? They pretty much do this for any big release. Post what they can, when they can.

Same will happen for ESO, and EQN (both versions), and Warlords of Draenor, and Destiny....you get my point.

But he doesn't like Wildstar so nothing should be posted about it. Duh.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

The "Eat Laser, Skullface!" pic...

Is that a Spellslinger or a Sylvari Engineer from GW2?

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

So what would youd like this site to talk about ? WoW , maybe we should discuss what type of tea to drink with what foods, its an MMO site, and WildStar is releasing tons of info and allowing the press to play the game.

Kind of like getting mad at a car magazine for writing an article on the best selling car.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    It's paid advertisement. Like when the guy on the radio talks about or recommends Carbonite.

Joy...

Sorry, but being that the game is still under NDA there really isnt alot of game play videos out there. Mostly stuff the devs show off and what not. I for one welcome any new information released for the game.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Beegs
    To be fair to MMORPG : Wildstar is a pretty big release with a lot of info coming out about it. What else is a MMO site going to write about?

Perfect World is launching an expansion, Lionhead has partnered with Microsoft Games in the hopes of making an mmo whom they have not even a title for yet, and more indie developers with high hopes continue to churn out the donation vacuums.

To be fair: It has been a slow week in mmo related news, but to answer your question; whatever they're paid to write about.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Are you new here?  Wildstar and The Elder Scrolls Online are then two MMOs closest to release, of course we are going to be getting lots of new information about them.

What else are they going to report on? Old games that everyone already knows everything about?  They report on those when new content comes out unsurprisingly. 

Not sure what people are expecting from a news section in a MMO fansite if it isn't news about upcoming MMOs?

• apophusapophus Member UncommonPosts: 2

You do not where heavy armor

If your going to be a writer please learn to use the proper  spelling of wear! sheesh you letting auto correct do your writing?

• WhytewulfWhytewulf Member UncommonPosts: 23

I actually enjoyed the article, maybe I don't come on the site as often as you, but it game me some insite into the classes.  I am still waiting for my next MMO, this might be one worth checking out.  I am ok if they write 100 articles on it. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Auzy
    Don't like it?  Don't click on it....

then what would I have to talk about...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Five of the eight Features are now Wildstar ones.

"You do not 'where' heavy armor, you do not charge into battle." That's meant to be 'wear', features do need to be checked for typos. 

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Anyone have a betakey for wildstar??? /sigh..
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

The more I see this "targeting" schtick, the more I think of games who have already tried this and failed. I'm not a fan of stagnation in the genre, but really, you're using a method of gameplay already used that people didn't really like. It's the equivalent of putting the EQ "lose a level on death" mechanic in a game now, slightly tweaking it, then making it sound revolutionary. I don't get it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The quality of the writing in this article is pretty sad. Not only are there some glaring spelling mistakes, the text itself often doesn't make sense.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    It is funny to see history repeat itself over and over...and over again. The same hype, the same 'can't wait!!!' and 'wow look at what they showed us in the carefully controlled press demos!' on the forums before a game is even close to release then, when it comes out, most the audience ends up horribly disappointed because they beat themselves up into a credulous frenzy and 'it wasn't as good as promised sob' or 'it's the same old quest hub crap' or 'it wasn't what I thought it would be' because they swallowed what the hypemeisters were shilling and didn't read between the lines. Fool me once...