Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a definite answer: EQN/EQNL

Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

Ok. Say I'm thinking of buying the Explorer's pack. That's for Landmark right, which is altogether a different game then EQN?

Do I understand that correctly? During the SOE live feeds are they showing Landmark or EQN? Because the lion race isn't suppose to be in EQNL because as it states on the website, EQNL is a human-only world currently with the possibility of incorporating other races eventually.

So, I'm kinda confused. (Yes I've read quite a few topics already at their site and these forums.)

Comments

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

The recent live streams were about Landmark. 

the revealing back in august was mostly on NEXT.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Enrif

I kinda figured so, but the fact that the EQN and EQ:NL videos are shared on both pages makes one kinda confused lol.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Psion33

I kinda figured so, but the fact that the EQN and EQ:NL videos are shared on both pages makes one kinda confused lol.

tbh the diffrence between the 2 aint that big, except EQN will need alot longer time in development - I think of it more like 2 diffrent set of server rulesets, where EQ: NL  is faster to develope, so we get those servers first.

but sure sold as 2 diffrent games

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Hedeon

tbh the diffrence between the 2 aint that big, except EQN will need alot longer time in development - I think of it more like 2 diffrent set of server rulesets, where EQ: NL  is faster to develope, so we get those servers first.

Well, the fact remains. They are only allowing at start in landmark the human race. So the founders packs everyone is buying...they will be limited to skewed versions and customization options of humans only.

I don't think people are realizing/understanding the fact that they are getting nothing at all like NEXT.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    To each there own but the human only "issue" is easily solved by a race change potion once the other races are in. I certainly hope that people putting down 20-100 dollars for a founders pack have seen the information that is out there. If so they know exactly what's going on between EQN and Landmark.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

I don't think people are realizing/understanding the fact that they are getting nothing at all like NEXT.

Well, never stopped anyone before. Certainly not going to stop anyone now. And if you'll try to explain things to them, well, you better not. :)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    landmark is an alpha test for next. 
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by muffins89
    landmark is an alpha test for next. 

In some ways that statement contains some truth, but it's not actually "true" in the sense that Next will have a completely different alpha which has nothing to do with Landmark.

I think it's more accurate to say that Landmark is the functional testing ground for user generated content, which then has a chance to make it into Next.   Even though you and I both know and understand that they're likely going to test out a lot of ideas in Landmark (gameplay wise) which might eventually make it into Next as well.

To the OP, you're right, it is a bit confusing, but mostly because they announced both games together and both contain at least one character set/race and probably both will share a lot of animations, textures, etc.  My understanding from reading all that I can, is that those packs only pertain to Landmark though, and will give no benefit to Next.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Ok. Say I'm thinking of buying the Explorer's pack. That's for Landmark right, which is altogether a different game then EQN?

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1qdzm1/founders_pack_discussion_thread/cdc7qep

Currently, none of the items are going to transfer into EverQuest Next once it launches. These items are of value specifically for a character or player in Landmark. EQN will have a very different focus.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I dont feel the need for a new thread for my question.

So, for a newbie like me (I did not played any EQ before), which one suits me better? As someone pointed out Next and Landmark differences are only at:

- gameplay pacing

- landmark are humans only for the time being

I prefer less time to be invested (relatively speaking), but at the same time wants full feature. Enlighten me on the matter.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by yaminsux

As someone pointed out Next and Landmark differences are only at:

- gameplay pacing

Landmark has any theme -- scifi, horror, western, etc

EQN is restricted to the Norrath fantasy theme

you won't be seeing Scifi outfits like Tech Commander gear in EQN

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Hedeon

Which is kind of confusing to me since the hype on Landmark just shot up to almost 9 and all the games that were at 8 are now sitting at 7. I would hate to think the website was artificially hyping games, surely not :/ It is not like this is the only voxel game coming out now or that voxel is new by any account. Just blatant advertisement annoys me. 

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I dont feel the need for a new thread for my question.

So, for a newbie like me (I did not played any EQ before), which one suits me better? As someone pointed out Next and Landmark differences are only at:

- gameplay pacing

I prefer less time to be invested (relatively speaking), but at the same time wants full feature. Enlighten me on the matter.

There is someone confused here, and it's not me.

Landmark is a building game in the same way as Minecraft. EQN is a mmorpg game with mobs, dungeons, npcs, quests, epic loot and leet raiders.

Landmark doesn't have actual mobs, quests or dungeons. It doesn't have lore. It doesn't have story. It doesn't send you on quests or to the dungeons to get a key. You don't fight actual mobs, you know (except for very simplified combats, which will likely not be in EQN at launch at all), you don't heal your camrades, you don't collect drops or sell them.

You do look for minerals and collect resources, that allow you to upgrade your pickaxe. Which allows you to collect better resources which allow you to make better pickaxe. And you build castles but without any other reason than to build them. That's pretty much the whole progression AND quest story in Landmark. That's it. That's all.

Everything else is possible, may be, theoretically, can be build by players when and if the systems for it will be introduced into Landmark with patches - because it will not be there at launch.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Grahor

- gameplay pacing

Landmark is a building game in the same way as Minecraft. EQN is a mmorpg game with mobs, dungeons, npcs, quests, epic loot and leet raiders.

Landmark doesn't have actual mobs, quests or dungeons. It doesn't have lore. It doesn't have story. It doesn't send you on quests or to the dungeons to get a key. You don't fight actual mobs, you know (except for very simplified combats, which will likely not be in EQN at launch at all), you don't heal your camrades, you don't collect drops or sell them.

You do look for minerals and collect resources, that allow you to upgrade your pickaxe. Which allows you to collect better resources which allow you to make better pickaxe. And you build castles but without any other reason than to build them. That's pretty much the whole progression AND quest story in Landmark. That's it. That's all.

Everything else is possible, may be, theoretically, can be build by players when and if the systems for it will be introduced into Landmark with patches - because it will not be there at launch.

Unlike Wurm Online that let's you do both in a single persistent world.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

No, they won't transfer as confirmed last night on Twitter: https://twitter.com/EQNLandmark/status/405476759350411264

.@ZasonEurus The Founder's pack items/access are exclusive to #Landmark. There are no plans for these items to transfer to #EQNext. [~Dex]

— EQN Landmark (@EQNLandmark) November 26, 2013

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Grahor Originally posted by yaminsux Sorry to hijack this thread, but I dont feel the need for a new thread for my question.   So, for a newbie like me (I did not played any EQ before), which one suits me better? As someone pointed out Next and Landmark differences are only at:   - gameplay pacing - landmark are humans only for the time being   I prefer less time to be invested (relatively speaking), but at the same time wants full feature. Enlighten me on the matter.
    There is someone confused here, and it's not me.   Landmark is a building game in the same way as Minecraft. EQN is a mmorpg game with mobs, dungeons, npcs, quests, epic loot and leet raiders.   Landmark doesn't have actual mobs, quests or dungeons. It doesn't have lore. It doesn't have story. It doesn't send you on quests or to the dungeons to get a key. You don't fight actual mobs, you know (except for very simplified combats, which will likely not be in EQN at launch at all), you don't heal your camrades, you don't collect drops or sell them.   You do look for minerals and collect resources, that allow you to upgrade your pickaxe. Which allows you to collect better resources which allow you to make better pickaxe. And you build castles but without any other reason than to build them. That's pretty much the whole progression AND quest story in Landmark. That's it. That's all.   Everything else is possible, may be, theoretically, can be build by players when and if the systems for it will be introduced into Landmark with patches - because it will not be there at launch.

By the sounds of things EQN will have the building portion of EQNL incorporated to some degree.

So effectively EQN is the best of both worlds.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    So Landmark is just basically Minecraft with better graphics and stuff? I could never get into this type of game.. what do you do after you build your castle or whatever? Just sit around and look at it?
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by collekt
    So Landmark is just basically Minecraft with better graphics and stuff? I could never get into this type of game.. what do you do after you build your castle or whatever? Just sit around and look at it?

Tear it down and make an even bigger one. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

It's like when you make stuff from Lego blocks or clay, you can leave them on the shelve for other to see and enjoy, or pack them up and sell them in the market. The best buildings players create will become permanent fixtures in the EverQuest Next world, so you can actually claim the credit like an artist.

Look at it this way, it's not really a game but a social creativity platform.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    SOE just released a video that corrects many of your misguided opinions. It's the top vid on this site you should check it out.

There will be monsters to kill and loot to collect, achievements to do and visible rewards for these achievements. I'm guessing blueprints to build cool new items and new appearance items. I know they said tools had stats on them and that when you craft one certain properties are random. These are just a few things mentioned In the video check it out to see the rest. Sure got me hyped and can't wait to get home and throw my credit card at the screen. (Was waiting to hear more info)

C

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

- gameplay pacing

Well I hope it does better then wurm online, there is almost no people in that game.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

You come up with a world of your own, its called role playing. 

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

It's funny how people just don't get the concept of a game like Landmark. If you're not a creative person who just wants to bash monsters all day, Landmark probably isn't for you even when they add the monsters in. It's a bit like minecraft where you gather material and craft and build from it

It's a simple concept. You can then save your builds as templates and sell them to other players either for ingame gold or for real life cash. Of course hearing the term real life cash make the typical modern-day MMO player turn their nose up because they don't like spending money on their entertainment, but I think that's great. Just like with platforms such as Second Life and IMVU, it will allow those who are creative to make something  for their work.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by yaminsux Sorry to hijack this thread, but I dont feel the need for a new thread for my question.   So, for a newbie like me (I did not played any EQ before), which one suits me better? As someone pointed out Next and Landmark differences are only at:   - gameplay pacing - landmark are humans only for the time being   I prefer less time to be invested (relatively speaking), but at the same time wants full feature. Enlighten me on the matter.

Really, I mean really really wrong.

This little post is an perfect representation of a typical MMORPG.com poster. Go off on a diatribe describing how a game you know nothing abut is going to be. You try and state your uninformed opinion as fact and quite simply make yourself look like an ass.

Well done.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.