Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FBI can turn on your webcam

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

No joke guys, no "conspiracy theory". Hello XBOX One owners...

http://nypost.com/2013/12/08/fbi-can-turn-on-your-web-cam/

"FBI can turn on your Web cam, and you’d never know it

The FBI has developed advanced surveillance techniques that give it

the power to covertly activate Web cams to spy on unsuspecting computer owners.

Tech savvy G-men can remotely turn on cameras that transmit real-time

images to investigators — without triggering the light that shows the camera is in use,

according to The Washington Post."

More in the link above.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Let 'em see your 'O' face.
  • Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Solution: point your webcam at a wall or put something over it.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    This isn't shocking information. If it is connected to the internet it can be hacked. This goes for any camera. Toss a dark cloth over them when not in use. Easy solution if this type of thing bothers you. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Don't have one. Don't need one.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     Yeah, this was a pretty obvious " They can do it: " . If a hacker can do it... of course the security sector can. I'm probably in the minority for my generation in that I absolutely could care less what they can do in regards to "peeping" , it doesn't effect me.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Well, if they can then they better be prepared.

All I can say is "they asked for it". image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    See, there are these things called paper, and tape. You take your paper, put it on the webcam, then some tape. There is your solution if you don't like being hacked/watched.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

This is no laughing matter. The NSA already is know to look into sexzal acivities of "presumed criminals" to "coerce cooperation", according to Snowden, and the NSA has not denied that. So we have a government which collects potential Blackmailing material on anyone who they think to make obey.

And trust me, they are so in full paranoia now, it can be anything you seem harmless that can make ANYONE a target at random. How will you react if one of them tells you to cooperate or else a vid showing you accidentally goes to the internet? Or something one of your family did goes to the internet?

Guys, we are deep down a dark and evil rabbit hole and this is no laughing matter at all.

Just keep in mind how everyone laughed about stuff we know today, which was said to be fearmongering and conspiracy stuff just 5 or 6 years ago. And ALL came out true.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Elikal

This is no laughing matter. The NSA already is know to look into sexzal acivities of "presumed criminals" to "coerce cooperation", according to Snowden, and the NSA has not denied that. So we have a government which collects potential Blackmailing material on anyone who they think to make obey.

And trust me, they are so in full paranoia now, it can be anything you seem harmless that can make ANYONE a target at random. How will you react if one of them tells you to cooperate or else a vid showing you accidentally goes to the internet? Or something one of your family did goes to the internet?

Guys, we are deep down a dark and evil rabbit hole and this is no laughing matter at all.

Just keep in mind how everyone laughed about stuff we know today, which was said to be fearmongering and conspiracy stuff just 5 or 6 years ago. And ALL came out true.

I don't think it's a laughing matter. I just think you're really late to the party. This goes for the blackmail as well. New toys, old techniques. The form may be different but this type of behavior is anything but different or new.

• neroistneroist Member Posts: 24
    It's not looking threw web cams that is scary. It's the fact they could plant any incriminating file in you PC. That you would have no idea of!
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I'm not laughing about it. This has been possible for several years. It does not require a government to do it.  About 1/4th of the clients that I repair computers for and have cameras have already disabled their camera by blocking it's view port. 

I'd be more concerned about the microphones in most of these computers. The only off/mute switch they have is software based.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I have nothing to hide, I welcome 1984 into my living room, I just feel bad for the poor bastard that has to watch me pleasure myself to the Food Network. (Don't judge me!!!)

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Solution-

When not in use, cover the camera with a picture of you giving the finger.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    I have nothing to hide, I welcome 1984 into my living room, I just feel bad for the poor bastard that has to watch me pleasure myself to the Food Network. (Don't judge me!!!)

This ...

Giada de laurentis is amazing...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Dauntis

"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most decend of men,
    I will find something in them which will hang them."
    - Cardinal Richileu

"Those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear."
    - Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda in the Third Reich

• mmo11mmo11 Member Posts: 17

This is what your paying Microsoft for a new operating system every 12 months....What, do you really think they care about a better experience for you ?....They they care about what the government is telling them, and your paying for it ! 

And all the security updates........Do you think thats really for your security ?

I should re install Windows 98 and no updates....That oduaa piss them off :)

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Grunty

I'm not laughing about it. This has been possible for several years. It does not require a government to do it.  About 1/4th of the clients that I repair computers for and have cameras have already disabled their camera by blocking it's view port. 

I'd be more concerned about the microphones in most of these computers. The only off/mute switch they have is software based.

Pretty much this, except I've always turned this stuff off or unplugged. when specifically not in use.  Not because I think anyone is out to get me, but I know there's malware out there, if landed on my system can operate this stuff remotely.  Been that way for sometime now. I've always gone with the idea, "If I can think of something ((within reason!)) chances are someones been doing for awhile already."  This sort of thing has been popping up in the news for years now, definitely nothing new, "Family found out that someone was watching and listening in on them for six months through their laptop (or whatever)."  I've just developed and / had fairly cautious habits (not paranoid)  when it comes to tech for sometime now.

Been a long time reader of security sites/ blogs. Can't say I fully get the technical aspects, but it's not hard to get a decent idea of what exactly is going on or or how it's done.  Usually broken down for the average person (like me) to consume.   Infosec Island comes to mind. Had some good reads on there from time to time. I guess this is mainly why the whole affair never really bothered me. The NSA has to operate within the laws and if anyone abuses the system I expect them to be dealt with.  Though certain aspects do mildly disturb me despite how I may sound. I also remind myself it's the type of world we live in, extremely complicated and sad.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by Redemp
    I absolutely could care less what they can do in regards to "peeping" , it doesn't effect me.

They've always been able to turn your land line telephone into a listening device as well.

Anyway, what concerns me more than the technology itself is the absolute reckless lawlessness and arrogance of our government. And the gigantic scope of its criminality. They are breaking the law left and right, they are shitting on the Constitution of the United States and every single citizens rights, and we still have a lot of people saying "it doesn't effect me". Well great, you're an apathetic narcissist who only cares about what he can get for himself. But what puzzles me is why you would be so quick to broadcast that fact? Are you actually proud of it?

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

NSA's been operating this same way since the 1950s...

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Meh they can watch me all they want. All they will see is a dude playing wow, eq2 or other various mmos, snacking on dew and other sugar based unhealthy assortments. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

You dont need to be even a hacker, some years ago with google search alone you did find hundreds of cameras. And you will probably find still thousands of network cams with other search terms, most of them are probably security cams.

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=inurl%3A%22viewerframe%3Fmode%3Dmotion%22