Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

OP that sucks for sure. I loathe deceptive pricing models which are subject-to-change. I.e., F2P. I refuse to play any game which utilizes it. If EQN does not have any subscription servers, I will be skipping that one just like I skipped Planetside 2 (I was a loyal Planetside 1 player for years).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by MindTrigger Originally posted by Vutar F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.
    People similar to you, complained about subscription costs until F2P was brought in to replace it.  Everyone got what they asked for, unfortunately.  What they really meant to say is that they expect game companies to make games for free.  Because, you know, that makes sense for a business plan.
    Nobody complained about subscription costs with SWTOR.... That was EA making false claims as to why their game was dying at an alarming rate. People stopped playing SWTOR because it was terrible once you got through your first story character. Operations were broken. The PvP gearing system was asinine, and Illum was a joke. 

Except EA is the one with access to the exit interviews of players who left the game, and more players now than they've had since a month or two after the game released. And you have what to support your assertion?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    You can pay for a subscription and everything is unlocked.
  • cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Can you just get around that by buying a sub?

Originally posted by cnutemp
    Can you just get around that by buying a sub?

Anyone who buys a sub now gets more stuff than I got when I had a sub just after the game's release.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I quit before F2P was introduced and I recently downloaded the game again to try out the Galactic Starfighter expansion (if you can call one game mode and two maps an expansion... lol).

This is the most nickel and dime F2P title I have ever encountered and I play several F2P games, two of which have great F2P models; World of Tanks and Planetside 2.

Free to Play, when done right, gives players incentives to subscribe.  You halve the amount of XP they gain as Free to Play and restrict most end game raids to subscribers / pass holders.  That's pretty much the only things you need to do.  The vast majority of players will sub up just for the "double xp".  The rest will sub up to be able to participate in end game content.

EA/Titanicware have gone a completely different route.  Their free to play model feels antagonistic.  As if they are pissed off  at us, the players, that their game wasn't the WoW killer they boldly proclaimed it would be before launch.  They are the proverbial school bully.  Every time you round a corner and go to do something the school bully is there to slap you a few times and then take your lunch money.

Oh yeah, you can have titles in this game!  Let me just select one here...

*POOF!  Titanicware jerkwad appears*  "Pay up first, you little shithead".  

"But... but, I just wanted to display a title that I earned a year ago beside my na.... "  

*SMACK*  

"SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH KID AND PAY UP OR I'LL PUT A TITLE NEXT TO YOUR NAME THAT YOU REALLY WON'T LIKE!!"

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I quit before F2P was introduced and I recently downloaded the game again to try out the Galactic Starfighter expansion (if you can call one game mode and two maps an expansion... lol).

This is the most nickel and dime F2P title I have ever encountered and I play several F2P games, two of which have great F2P models; World of Tanks and Planetside 2.

Free to Play, when done right, gives players incentives to subscribe.  You halve the amount of XP they gain as Free to Play and restrict most end game raids to subscribers / pass holders.  That's pretty much the only things you need to do.  The vast majority of players will sub up just for the "double xp".  The rest will sub up to be able to participate in end game content.

EA/Titanicware have gone a completely different route.  Their free to play model feels antagonistic.  As if they are pissed off  at us, the players, that their game wasn't the WoW killer they boldly proclaimed it would be before launch.  They are the proverbial school bully.  Every time you round a corner and go to do something the school bully is there to slap you a few times and then take your lunch money.

"But... but, I just wanted to display a title that I earned a year ago beside my na.... "  

*SMACK*  

"SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH KID AND PAY UP OR I'LL PUT A TITLE NEXT TO YOUR NAME THAT YOU REALLY WON'T LIKE!!"

Something seems fishy here so before we conclude that something is or not when did  you subscribe to get early access for Galactic Starfighter ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

I read this forums posts on this game a few months ago and decided to avoid this game. I am lacking any desire to pay over and over for something that should be included by default. There are several of these cash grabbing games out there, none of which will ever get any of my money.

Such a shame because if they were not so greedy I would happily pay to play if the game was good enough!

Originally posted by BadOrb

*SMACK*  

Something seems fishy here so before we conclude that something is or not when did  you subscribe to get early access for Galactic Starfighter ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Oh I'm sorry.

You thought I answer to you.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Erm, what did they lose actually? A customer that is not willing to pay? That isn't a loss, it is a relieve of bandwidth and services.

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol.

Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.

All players haha yeah tell that to the million playing every month.  Can't run more then 10 players haha how do people run all these 16man Ops?!?  EA is making a profit on Swtor cause it got rid of the likes of you so yes ea is the winner here.  

yup..they won two golden poohs now, and  are heading straight for the third

they won so hard, that they fired their CEO, and their stocks dropped

the World isnt ready for so much win, thats why, we fear them

Oh after a little research I know you don't like facts or current facts but right now ea stock is at $22.  If it closes above $20 at years end it will be the highest end of year price since 2008 maybe longer my information didn't go back further.  So what were you saying about a stock drop?  Yep just another ridiculous claim by you proven wrong. 

did swtor launch TODAY?

of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch

i wasnt specific, i know, but i was talking about  launch time

and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games

Haha hmm imagine that you thinking about launch time go figure...

nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.  

swtor is recovering? link for proof

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

Erm, what did they lose actually? A customer that is not willing to pay? That isn't a loss, it is a relieve of bandwidth and services.

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol.

Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.

All players haha yeah tell that to the million playing every month.  Can't run more then 10 players haha how do people run all these 16man Ops?!?  EA is making a profit on Swtor cause it got rid of the likes of you so yes ea is the winner here.  

Oh after a little research I know you don't like facts or current facts but right now ea stock is at $22.  If it closes above $20 at years end it will be the highest end of year price since 2008 maybe longer my information didn't go back further.  So what were you saying about a stock drop?  Yep just another ridiculous claim by you proven wrong. 

did swtor launch TODAY?

of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch

and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games

nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.  

Oh your funny.  Go to the Swtor page or your history and click on the thread about how the extended sw license.  In there you will find links to how Swtor has a million player a month and making a profit.  So yes Swtor has recovered and is currently a healthy game.  I guess it very possible that even though you commented that thread and every other Swtor thread you seem to miss every time someone talks about the current game cause you fixated on launch or had or used too.  

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

did swtor launch TODAY?

Oh your funny.  Go to the Swtor page or your history and click on the thread about how the extended sw license.  In there you will find links to how Swtor has a million player a month and making a profit.  So yes Swtor has recovered and is currently a healthy game.  I guess it very possible that even though you commented that thread and every other Swtor thread you seem to miss every time someone talks about the current game cause you fixated on launch or had or used too.  

Nothing to add here.  I just wanted to make this chain one link bigger. Oh to stay on topic.  Swtor is fun in doses. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

*SMACK*  

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Oh I'm sorry.

You thought I answer to you.

No you only answer to yourself , unless you aren't an adult then you answer to your parents or if you are an adult you answer to your boss etc.

Your first sentence doesn't add up to the rest of your post is all I mean't. So did you try Galactic Starfighter ? If so you wouldn't be F2P by now as you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter. So what you actually mean't was you have read about the F2P model and you then commented on it. You see the earliest that you can possibly become F2P ( well actually preferred ) would be the end of this month after the 2 months of subb. So basically I don't believe you , sorry but that's how I see it. It's backed up by the fact you said you left before F2P started.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

Originally posted by apocoluster

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol. Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.
    yup..they won two golden poohs now, and  are heading straight for the third they won so hard, that they fired their CEO, and their stocks dropped the World isnt ready for so much win, thats why, we fear them
    did swtor launch TODAY? of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch  i wasnt specific, i know, but i was talking about  launch time and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games  
    Haha hmm imagine that you thinking about launch time go figure... nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.    
    Nothing to add here.  I just wanted to make this chain one link bigger. Oh to stay on topic.  Swtor is fun in doses. 

Isn't that a violation of the site ToS or something?

I suppose it's fun in doses.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

This game is not F2P, its Freemium. There is a difference. F2P games do not charge you for UI, nor does it charge you to unlock classes or chat channels. F2P means the entire base game is free and there is no monthly fee option to be special, period. The extras cost money.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
     you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter.

That is not strictly true to play GS, you needed to sub any where from about Nov 4th, which would give you at least Dec 3rd and 4th to try it out, although not sure what would happen if your sub expires after Dec 3rd.  You can sub now and play GS.

The only reason to sub before Nov 1st is to get: Exclusive Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role Unlock Only available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013

Originally posted by JJ82
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

This game is not F2P, its Freemium. There is a difference. F2P games do not charge you for UI, nor does it charge you to unlock classes or chat channels. F2P means the entire base game is free and there is no monthly fee option to be special, period. The extras cost money.

Wrong f2p is a business model by which a company allows players to play their base game.  Swtor allows players to play multiple toon from 1-50 completely free.  Swtor is f2p if you choose for it to be. 

Here is a link of a f2p definition for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27039/free-to-play-f2p

Originally posted by superniceguy
     you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter.

That is not strictly true to play GS, you needed to sub any where from about Nov 4th, which would give you at least Dec 3rd and 4th to try it out, although not sure what would happen if your sub expires after Dec 3rd.  You can sub now and play GS.

The only reason to sub before Nov 1st is to get: Exclusive Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role Unlock Only available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013

Right well , because the poster didn't give us a proper reply then I just assumed he wasn't telling the truth. So if he missed that Nov 1st goodies then well he could of subscribed just after ? Then played GS for a couple of days then went preferred ? That sounds feasible I guess. Maybe he wasn't impressed with GS. Still seems odd but the poster doesn't answer to me :).

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Ender4

SWTOR isn't a F2P game. It is a failed sub fee game desperately trying to stay alive by adapting to a F2P model. Those are two very different things. It has one of the weaker models out there and isn't the example to really use when discussing this. There were plenty of horrible sub games, doesn't mean all sub games are horrible.

Really poor analogy. We're not talking about the quality of the game. We're discussing the implementation of the particular revenue model.

With P2P, it's consistent. A sub is a sub is a sub. You know what the fee is when you register, you know exactly what you get access to, you have a fair expectation that the experience will be consistent for the duration. There will be no need to consider whether or not it's "worth it" to purchase items conveniently sold on the cash shop specifically to overcome or bypass limitations/speed-bumps/obstacles designed into the game specifically to help sell those very items. The decision to "spend extra money on convenience items, or spend more time grinding through it" is never necessary because neither the option, nor the need to buy your way around those things isn't there in the first place.

Aside from the occasional expansion pack, that flat monthly fee is all you'll pay. Ever. Your experience will be no better or worse than anyone else's based on how much money you can spend, because how much money you have to spend means absolutely nothing inside the game (RMT and eBaying notwithstanding). The person fighting along side you in-game might be a millionaire, and you might be living on a shoe-string. Doesnt' matter. You each pay the same sub fee, you each get access to all the same content, you each decide what you do or don't want to do with it.

With F2P/Cash Shops, all bets are off. The game is designed around the core idea of selling as much as they can as much as they can. It puts the developer in the position of being the one deciding the demand, opening or closing that nozzle at will... and being the one offering the supply, at whatever cost they wish, on whatever terms they wish. One of my favorite examples is when they have these "limited time, while supplies last!" sales. That's taken straight out of traditional "brick and mortar" type retail, where product was finite and saying "while supplies last" was actually relevant. Using that kind of approach on something that is all 0's and 1s, involving product that can be created in whatever quantity they wish, as often as they wish, because none of it is actually real... is just plain fucking with human psychology to increase a bottom line.

EA's implementation with TOR is a wonderful example of a company blatantly placing limitations on a player's experience for the sole purpose of making a purchase pretty much necessary. It's a wonderful, and unusually straight-forward example of exactly how the model can be - and is - abused and manipulated by developers to milk people for as much as they can. Most developers are a bit more underhanded and obscure.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Wrong f2p is a business model by which a company allows players to play their base game.  Swtor allows players to play multiple toon from 1-50 completely free.  Swtor is f2p if you choose for it to be. 

2 chars is multiple now? say wahtever you want but if the game was as good when you guys want to others to belive he won't become a f2p game and would be a sub, but after losing 75% more or less of they player base after 2 month they did what they could to help the hole bioware did to make this game, and let get real here only reason this game is still around is because it have star wars on his name, and we know pretty well some people will love the damn game don't matter how buggy milked or annoying as long he can wear a red lightsaber and say  "luke i'm your father"

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

2 chars is multiple now? say wahtever you want but if the game was as good when you guys want to others to belive he won't become a f2p game and would be a sub, but after losing 75% more or less of they player base after 2 month they did what they could to help the hole bioware did to make this game, and let get real here only reason this game is still around is because it have star wars on his name, and we know pretty well some people will love the damn game don't matter how buggy milked or annoying as long he can wear a red lightsaber and say  "luke i'm your father"

Oh wow where to start with this mess of jumbled letters.  Ok here we go...

1) yes two is more then one so therefore you get to play multiple (2) players 1-50 for free

2) what mmo do you play? I bet everyone would not play it without the ip this is such a weak arguement

3) the only reason Swtor is still around is because it has over a million players a month and making a profit.

4) the haters continue to be fixative on the past they don't want to see where the game is today you are no different here are three main pints about the current healthy game those that play understand.  

A) million player a month 

B) making a profit 

C) releasing content every 4-6 weeks

so keep focusing on the past you know at launch, had or it did.  Those are pointless we are over two years in its time to let all that go Swtor has made a nice recovery sorry to break the news to you.  

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

1) yes two is more then one so therefore you get to play multiple (2) players 1-50 for free

2) what mmo do you play? I bet everyone would not play it without the ip this is such a weak arguement

3) the only reason Swtor is still around is because it has over a million players a month and making a profit.

4) the haters continue to be fixative on the past they don't want to see where the game is today you are no different here are three main pints about the current healthy game those that play understand.  

B) making a profit 

so keep focusing on the past you know at launch, had or it did.  Those are pointless we are over two years in its time to let all that go Swtor has made a nice recovery sorry to break the news to you.  

wooooo looks like you are a little too buthurt for my comment, so please link all this profit you say here, also for a so awesome game you can only thing is making a profit? and launching content each month? please played teh game for 2 months and the only  "content" was that starfighter area who is open for sub this month, prefereds are next month and free players are in february, so what? the same content will be considered new content each month like this?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

B) making a profit 

wooooo looks like you are a little too buthurt for my comment, so please link all this profit you say here, also for a so awesome game you can only thing is making a profit? and launching content each month? please played teh game for 2 months and the only  "content" was that starfighter area who is open for sub this month, prefereds are next month and free players are in february, so what? the same content will be considered new content each month like this?

Nope no hurt feeling here just don't understand why people post on something they clearly no nothing about.  Go to the Swtor page on here click on the ea extends sw license you will find all the links you need for the profit and the million players a month.  

Oh in two months all they added was star fighter ?  Again please do some research.  In October they released update 2.4. That added a new planet, new war zones and two new ops and more! So yeah keep hating it's going to be a long miserable next few years for you.  Have fun.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Ender4

SWTOR isn't a F2P game. It is a failed sub fee game desperately trying to stay alive by adapting to a F2P model. Those are two very different things. It has one of the weaker models out there and isn't the example to really use when discussing this. There were plenty of horrible sub games, doesn't mean all sub games are horrible.

Really poor analogy. We're not talking about the quality of the game. We're discussing the implementation of the particular revenue model.

With P2P, it's consistent. A sub is a sub is a sub. You know what the fee is when you register, you know exactly what you get access to, you have a fair expectation that the experience will be consistent for the duration. There will be no need to consider whether or not it's "worth it" to purchase items conveniently sold on the cash shop specifically to overcome or bypass limitations/speed-bumps/obstacles designed into the game specifically to help sell those very items. The decision to "spend extra money on convenience items, or spend more time grinding through it" is never necessary because neither the option, nor the need to buy your way around those things isn't there in the first place.

Aside from the occasional expansion pack, that flat monthly fee is all you'll pay. Ever. Your experience will be no better or worse than anyone else's based on how much money you can spend, because how much money you have to spend means absolutely nothing inside the game (RMT and eBaying notwithstanding). The person fighting along side you in-game might be a millionaire, and you might be living on a shoe-string. Doesnt' matter. You each pay the same sub fee, you each get access to all the same content, you each decide what you do or don't want to do with it.

That was true before sub games started putting cash shops in them. And what some offer may be pretty tame right now, it' sonly getting worse as more and more gamers accept cash shops as part of a sub game.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Right well , because the poster didn't give us a proper reply then I just assumed he wasn't telling the truth. So if he missed that Nov 1st goodies then well he could of subscribed just after ? Then played GS for a couple of days then went preferred ? That sounds feasible I guess. Maybe he wasn't impressed with GS. Still seems odd but the poster doesn't answer to me :).

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

Cheers,

BadOrb.

You.  I didn't give YOU a "proper" reply.  and I don't owe you one either.  You see, the other people in this thread don't make arbitrary timeline estimates based off of the word "recently".

Especially when the entire content of your post is "liar liar pants on fire".

Come up with something more than a strawman argument based on the word "recently" from my post and then I, oh wait you already included the entire community here by proxy, WE might begin to care what you think.