Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member
    Obviously the problem the OP has with this game is not the fact that they are charging for access to the game. It is the way they go about it.

It's the same reason people subscribe to HBO. Sure you could watch a movie for free on a local affiliated channel but you would have to sit through the crappy commercials that pop up at annoying points in the experience or the hack editing. Although F2P games are more like having interruptions every 10 mins of the movie, asking if you would like to skip the commercial for a small fee. The point is, the method is found by some, myself included, to be annoying.
  • RaquisRaquis hartenbosPosts: 536Member Common

nicle and dime mush better than subscription they are fooling you.

no game should have a sub.games are over prised.

neverwinter gave me hours of fun and I did not spend a cent.

• alakramalakram malagaPosts: 2,223Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I play some free to play, Aion, Rift, Neverwinter, a few others, Never have I had to pay to have access to the UI.

I draw the line there. I was going to pay for the sith, had no issue with that, but to pay for something concerning the UI just doesn't sit right with me at all. way I see it, there is also going to be a charge to make the chat font bigger. That one cost them my business, whoever thought it was a good idea to charge for that has no idea why ftp actually makes money. You kinda got to lure them in farther than level 8.

Buying the sith unlock preferred status wich unlocks 4 hotbars. You should research a little more before discarding a game.

-=AlaKraM=-
    Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
    My Lord of the Rings Gallery

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Red wing, MNPosts: 262Member

The great thing about life well for most and assuming those posting on here is we are free and have the ability to choose what we do.  And a company has the choice to put in place the models or services they see fit.  Now since we are free and are not forced to do or buy things we don't like we get options.  

So here are your options.  

A) sub get everything

B) spend $5 yes FIVE WHOLE BUCKS and get a lot for free

C) spend nothing get to play the entire game from 1-50 on multiple toons for free. 

D) act entitled and think an option should be pay nothing get everything

E) don't like their model so decide to maturely not play and find a new game.  

You  may think a company is greedy, but we can't say what they think and the majority of people think of people with the entitled to everything for free mentality on here.  

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Harrisonburg, VAPosts: 305Member Uncommon

Lol, guys we all know.  Even if you are a preferred player, the game constantly bashes you over the head to subscribe.  So telling him to pay the five bucks to do that is pretty much in vain.  The game still reminds you that you are a lowly F2P playyer and you need to sub....

I mean, the game is alright but eh....

• simpliussimplius nakskovPosts: 1,041Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Erm, what did they lose actually? A customer that is not willing to pay? That isn't a loss, it is a relieve of bandwidth and services.

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol.

Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.

All players haha yeah tell that to the million playing every month.  Can't run more then 10 players haha how do people run all these 16man Ops?!?  EA is making a profit on Swtor cause it got rid of the likes of you so yes ea is the winner here.  

yup..they won two golden poohs now, and  are heading straight for the third

they won so hard, that they fired their CEO, and their stocks dropped

the World isnt ready for so much win, thats why, we fear them

Oh after a little research I know you don't like facts or current facts but right now ea stock is at $22.  If it closes above $20 at years end it will be the highest end of year price since 2008 maybe longer my information didn't go back further.  So what were you saying about a stock drop?  Yep just another ridiculous claim by you proven wrong. 

did swtor launch TODAY?

of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch

i wasnt specific, i know, but i was talking about  launch time

and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games

Erm, what did they lose actually? A customer that is not willing to pay? That isn't a loss, it is a relieve of bandwidth and services.

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol.

Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.

All players haha yeah tell that to the million playing every month.  Can't run more then 10 players haha how do people run all these 16man Ops?!?  EA is making a profit on Swtor cause it got rid of the likes of you so yes ea is the winner here.  

Oh after a little research I know you don't like facts or current facts but right now ea stock is at $22.  If it closes above $20 at years end it will be the highest end of year price since 2008 maybe longer my information didn't go back further.  So what were you saying about a stock drop?  Yep just another ridiculous claim by you proven wrong. 

did swtor launch TODAY?

of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch

and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games

Haha hmm imagine that you thinking about launch time go figure...

nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.  

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

OP that sucks for sure. I loathe deceptive pricing models which are subject-to-change. I.e., F2P. I refuse to play any game which utilizes it. If EQN does not have any subscription servers, I will be skipping that one just like I skipped Planetside 2 (I was a loyal Planetside 1 player for years).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by MindTrigger Originally posted by Vutar F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.
    People similar to you, complained about subscription costs until F2P was brought in to replace it.  Everyone got what they asked for, unfortunately.  What they really meant to say is that they expect game companies to make games for free.  Because, you know, that makes sense for a business plan.
    Nobody complained about subscription costs with SWTOR.... That was EA making false claims as to why their game was dying at an alarming rate. People stopped playing SWTOR because it was terrible once you got through your first story character. Operations were broken. The PvP gearing system was asinine, and Illum was a joke. 

Except EA is the one with access to the exit interviews of players who left the game, and more players now than they've had since a month or two after the game released. And you have what to support your assertion?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU GothenburgPosts: 106Member
    You can pay for a subscription and everything is unlocked.
  • cnutempcnutemp Fairfax, VAPosts: 229Member Uncommon
    Can you just get around that by buying a sub?

Originally posted by cnutemp
    Can you just get around that by buying a sub?

Anyone who buys a sub now gets more stuff than I got when I had a sub just after the game's release.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXPosts: 503Member Uncommon

I quit before F2P was introduced and I recently downloaded the game again to try out the Galactic Starfighter expansion (if you can call one game mode and two maps an expansion... lol).

This is the most nickel and dime F2P title I have ever encountered and I play several F2P games, two of which have great F2P models; World of Tanks and Planetside 2.

Free to Play, when done right, gives players incentives to subscribe.  You halve the amount of XP they gain as Free to Play and restrict most end game raids to subscribers / pass holders.  That's pretty much the only things you need to do.  The vast majority of players will sub up just for the "double xp".  The rest will sub up to be able to participate in end game content.

EA/Titanicware have gone a completely different route.  Their free to play model feels antagonistic.  As if they are pissed off  at us, the players, that their game wasn't the WoW killer they boldly proclaimed it would be before launch.  They are the proverbial school bully.  Every time you round a corner and go to do something the school bully is there to slap you a few times and then take your lunch money.

Oh yeah, you can have titles in this game!  Let me just select one here...

*POOF!  Titanicware jerkwad appears*  "Pay up first, you little shithead".  

"But... but, I just wanted to display a title that I earned a year ago beside my na.... "  

*SMACK*  

"SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH KID AND PAY UP OR I'LL PUT A TITLE NEXT TO YOUR NAME THAT YOU REALLY WON'T LIKE!!"

• BadOrbBadOrb ManchesterPosts: 791Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I quit before F2P was introduced and I recently downloaded the game again to try out the Galactic Starfighter expansion (if you can call one game mode and two maps an expansion... lol).

This is the most nickel and dime F2P title I have ever encountered and I play several F2P games, two of which have great F2P models; World of Tanks and Planetside 2.

Free to Play, when done right, gives players incentives to subscribe.  You halve the amount of XP they gain as Free to Play and restrict most end game raids to subscribers / pass holders.  That's pretty much the only things you need to do.  The vast majority of players will sub up just for the "double xp".  The rest will sub up to be able to participate in end game content.

EA/Titanicware have gone a completely different route.  Their free to play model feels antagonistic.  As if they are pissed off  at us, the players, that their game wasn't the WoW killer they boldly proclaimed it would be before launch.  They are the proverbial school bully.  Every time you round a corner and go to do something the school bully is there to slap you a few times and then take your lunch money.

"But... but, I just wanted to display a title that I earned a year ago beside my na.... "  

*SMACK*  

"SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH KID AND PAY UP OR I'LL PUT A TITLE NEXT TO YOUR NAME THAT YOU REALLY WON'T LIKE!!"

Something seems fishy here so before we conclude that something is or not when did  you subscribe to get early access for Galactic Starfighter ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• zastenzasten nowherePosts: 283Member

I read this forums posts on this game a few months ago and decided to avoid this game. I am lacking any desire to pay over and over for something that should be included by default. There are several of these cash grabbing games out there, none of which will ever get any of my money.

Such a shame because if they were not so greedy I would happily pay to play if the game was good enough!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXPosts: 503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadOrb

*SMACK*  

Something seems fishy here so before we conclude that something is or not when did  you subscribe to get early access for Galactic Starfighter ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Oh I'm sorry.

You thought I answer to you.

• simpliussimplius nakskovPosts: 1,041Member Uncommon

did swtor launch TODAY?

nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.  

swtor is recovering? link for proof

did swtor launch TODAY?

Oh your funny.  Go to the Swtor page or your history and click on the thread about how the extended sw license.  In there you will find links to how Swtor has a million player a month and making a profit.  So yes Swtor has recovered and is currently a healthy game.  I guess it very possible that even though you commented that thread and every other Swtor thread you seem to miss every time someone talks about the current game cause you fixated on launch or had or used too.  

• apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon

did swtor launch TODAY?

Oh your funny.  Go to the Swtor page or your history and click on the thread about how the extended sw license.  In there you will find links to how Swtor has a million player a month and making a profit.  So yes Swtor has recovered and is currently a healthy game.  I guess it very possible that even though you commented that thread and every other Swtor thread you seem to miss every time someone talks about the current game cause you fixated on launch or had or used too.  

Nothing to add here.  I just wanted to make this chain one link bigger. Oh to stay on topic.  Swtor is fun in doses. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

*SMACK*  

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Oh I'm sorry.

You thought I answer to you.

No you only answer to yourself , unless you aren't an adult then you answer to your parents or if you are an adult you answer to your boss etc.

Your first sentence doesn't add up to the rest of your post is all I mean't. So did you try Galactic Starfighter ? If so you wouldn't be F2P by now as you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter. So what you actually mean't was you have read about the F2P model and you then commented on it. You see the earliest that you can possibly become F2P ( well actually preferred ) would be the end of this month after the 2 months of subb. So basically I don't believe you , sorry but that's how I see it. It's backed up by the fact you said you left before F2P started.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

Originally posted by apocoluster

that bandwith is much needed as the engine can't run with >10 players in the same place lol. Yeah, EA are clearly the winners here, saving bandwith with driving all players out of their game.
    yup..they won two golden poohs now, and  are heading straight for the third they won so hard, that they fired their CEO, and their stocks dropped the World isnt ready for so much win, thats why, we fear them
    did swtor launch TODAY? of course , it still has impact on stock prices, but nowhere near the level, it had at launch  i wasnt specific, i know, but i was talking about  launch time and the recovery? all swtors doing...nothing about a new CEO, and a deal with all future SW games  
    Haha hmm imagine that you thinking about launch time go figure... nope I didn't say it was all Swtor doing I left that open as to say if it's drop was Swtor fault then it's recovery must be too.    
    Nothing to add here.  I just wanted to make this chain one link bigger. Oh to stay on topic.  Swtor is fun in doses. 

Isn't that a violation of the site ToS or something?

I suppose it's fun in doses.

• JJ82JJ82 Chicago, ILPosts: 1,175Member Common
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

This game is not F2P, its Freemium. There is a difference. F2P games do not charge you for UI, nor does it charge you to unlock classes or chat channels. F2P means the entire base game is free and there is no monthly fee option to be special, period. The extras cost money.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• superniceguysuperniceguy AnchorheadPosts: 2,278Member Uncommon
     you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter.

That is not strictly true to play GS, you needed to sub any where from about Nov 4th, which would give you at least Dec 3rd and 4th to try it out, although not sure what would happen if your sub expires after Dec 3rd.  You can sub now and play GS.

The only reason to sub before Nov 1st is to get: Exclusive Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role Unlock Only available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013

Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

This game is not F2P, its Freemium. There is a difference. F2P games do not charge you for UI, nor does it charge you to unlock classes or chat channels. F2P means the entire base game is free and there is no monthly fee option to be special, period. The extras cost money.

Wrong f2p is a business model by which a company allows players to play their base game.  Swtor allows players to play multiple toon from 1-50 completely free.  Swtor is f2p if you choose for it to be. 

Here is a link of a f2p definition for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27039/free-to-play-f2p

Originally posted by superniceguy
     you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter.

That is not strictly true to play GS, you needed to sub any where from about Nov 4th, which would give you at least Dec 3rd and 4th to try it out, although not sure what would happen if your sub expires after Dec 3rd.  You can sub now and play GS.

The only reason to sub before Nov 1st is to get: Exclusive Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role Unlock Only available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013

Right well , because the poster didn't give us a proper reply then I just assumed he wasn't telling the truth. So if he missed that Nov 1st goodies then well he could of subscribed just after ? Then played GS for a couple of days then went preferred ? That sounds feasible I guess. Maybe he wasn't impressed with GS. Still seems odd but the poster doesn't answer to me :).

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

Cheers,

BadOrb.