Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about getting the Trail Blazer

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
  I never played Mine craft, which i hear this compared to. So, my question is, are they really telling the truth when they say if you can dream it you can build it. Can you change everything? Including the combat system, Npcs, ect... Or is this just like a place to make sand castles. Could I make a race track, with a bunch of hard turns and loops ect. Like Interstate 82 for battlefield 1942?  If stuff like that is possible I am getting the TrailBlazer.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Why stop at making a race track or changing combat systems?  Think big. Build a working copy of the Large Hadron Collider.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Why stop at making a race track or changing combat systems?  Think big. Build a working copy of the Large Hadron Collider.

Lol because i dont care about what happened at the big bang, or what high speed particles do. I want to have a skilled race track lol. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You can change the landscape. Don't expect to change anything else. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP if you're thinking about throwing down 20-100 bucks on a pack I'd first check out the videos SoE has put out and make your determination that way.

For Landmark launch you'll be able to explore gather and build. Combat may not be in but that and other MMO building aspects such as quest creation and mob scripting will come down as they are finalized like the building tools. Essentially as SoE develops the tools to develop EQN they will put the tools into EQN/LM. When is not known but makes Landmark patches more exciting :)
    Originally posted by Aelious
    OP if you're thinking about throwing down 20-100 bucks on a pack I'd first check out the videos SoE has put out and make your determination that way.

For Landmark launch you'll be able to explore gather and build. Combat may not be in but that and other MMO building aspects such as quest creation and mob scripting will come down as they are finalized like the building tools. Essentially as SoE develops the tools to develop EQN they will put the tools into EQN/LM. When is not known but makes Landmark patches more exciting :)

Thank you.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Please keep in mind that "when" is probably "years down the line".

A month or two "head start" with preorders doesn't actually mean much because at start there would be merely a barebone functionality in the game.

If you just want to help a small indie developer like Sony - sure, donate, no problems here.

Originally posted by Grahor

A month or two "head start" with preorders doesn't actually mean much because at start there would be merely a barebone functionality in the game.

If you just want to help a small indie developer like Sony - sure, donate, no problems here.

Pretty hefty dose of negative assumption there, based on what? In reference to what feature(s)? The video above at about 6:50 states that EQN was a blank slate, again, as of November 2011.  If you keep watching the video from there Rosie goes through the steps they went to, sometimes listing months in regards to progress.  In two years they have come pretty far IMO and they only ramped up the devs once they knew they could pull it off, some halfway point after Nov. '11.  By now they have already procedurally created the "world" of EQN (not Landmark) and have been working on it.  They have Landmark releasing in a few months that allow you to explore, gather and build pretty great things from the videos.

Is this any indication of when the other features will be in? No, guessing that would be like playing the lottery.  There is enough history however to assume it won't take years to get the other core features (combat, quest generating, scripting, etc.) based on the clip they have worked at so far.

Regarding "barebone" and "donations", that may be what Landmark would be to you but to others maybe not.  It's easy to see what you'll be able to do in LM out of the gate and the plans I have demand all the head start I can get, I can't wait to start building.  Donate? That implies I'm not getting anything out of the transaction, which couldn't be farther from the truth:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/founders-pack

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    As much as I want to fork over $100 for EQNL, I just can't do it. I am more interested in EQN, also I don't like what they give you for the money they are asking. For $100 I expect to receive a season pass on the first years DLC or unlockables if there are any. Sony needs to work on offering more for the value. 

Pretty hefty dose of negative assumption there, based on what? In reference to what feature(s)? The video above at about 6:50 states that EQN was a blank slate, again, as of November 2011.  If you keep watching the video from there Rosie goes through the steps they went to, sometimes listing months in regards to progress.  In two years they have come pretty far IMO and they only ramped up the devs once they knew they could pull it off, some halfway point after Nov. '11.  By now they have already procedurally created the "world" of EQN (not Landmark) and have been working on it.  They have Landmark releasing in a few months that allow you to explore, gather and build pretty great things from the videos.

Is this any indication of when the other features will be in? No, guessing that would be like playing the lottery.  There is enough history however to assume it won't take years to get the other core features (combat, quest generating, scripting, etc.) based on the clip they have worked at so far.

Regarding "barebone" and "donations", that may be what Landmark would be to you but to others maybe not.  It's easy to see what you'll be able to do in LM out of the gate and the plans I have demand all the head start I can get, I can't wait to start building.  Donate? That implies I'm not getting anything out of the transaction, which couldn't be farther from the truth:

Thank you very much for the movie link, and your words. I am pretty certain I am gonna get it. EQLM looks to me like the only MMO coming out thats any different. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    As much as I want to fork over $100 for EQNL, I just can't do it. I am more interested in EQN, also I don't like what they give you for the money they are asking. For $100 I expect to receive a season pass on the first years DLC or unlockables if there are any. Sony needs to work on offering more for the value. 

for $20 you can play just 30 days after everyone else.  or you could just wait and play for free.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Grunty

Cant do that, You will reach your claim limit :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Wakygreek

Kind of in the same boat, i just cant justify putting the money down on landmark for a pick axe and early access.

I can however see myself putting money down for Next with whatever promos they put out for that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

Thank you very much for the movie link, and your words. I am pretty certain I am gonna get it. EQLM looks to me like the only MMO coming out thats any different. 

Same impression I got as well. The only information I'm still missing before deciding to spend any money is: "is it also good, not just different?" Then again, I'm in no hurry. Can wait for the feedback from closed beta when the NDA is off, before picking up my purse.

Originally posted by Naqaj

Same impression I got as well. The only information I'm still missing before deciding to spend any money is: "is it also good, not just different?" Then again, I'm in no hurry. Can wait for the feedback from closed beta when the NDA is off, before picking up my purse.

There is a NDA? Well it seems to me that if I am going to pay 100 dollars I can talk all I want about it. I will have to look it up, if there is then I am not going to get it.  I see, well I am skipping this then. I was looking forward to a crafting game where eery one can make there own stuff to. O well. 

There is a NDA? Well it seems to me that if I am going to pay 100 dollars I can talk all I want about it. I will have to look it up, if there is then I am not going to get it.  I see, well I am skipping this then. I was looking forward to a crafting game where eery one can make there own stuff to. O well. 

I really hate corporations that make garbage like that. Seriously they act like the alpha of a game is some kind of secret information that is gonna do something if some one says something. Its not like if some one said something about their game, some one could steal it haha. I mean i could understand maybe if some one stole their code and sold it. But banning people, and telling people they cant talk about there experiences in a game, especially one they paid good money for. Thank you very much for telling me that. I never would of looked it up, and i was going to buy the trail blazer in the week. You saved me a bunch of money, and headache lol. Because I 100 percent would of talked about my experience good or bad in it. I believe in the freedom of information, not the non disclosure of it. What losers, thinking that mmo games should be secret information. Its not like any of the alpha and betas they are gonna change anything from the core of the game anyways. To me it sounds like they want to see if they can get some more money from people, before that person can make a educated choice based on feedback. 

It would be like the car company saying well, i will let you test drive this car, but you have to sign this NDA saying you wont let any one else know about it. GARBAGE NONSENSE, good job sony for being retarded. I should of released they would do some nonsense like that. 

NDAs are standard procedure for MMOs especially for alpha and even through closed beta in most cases, this is not a Sony thing. The reason for the NDA is that the game, by definition, is not done yet so those on the outside will get a wrong impression of a product not yet done. It's not some secret cover up.

There is a lot of info out there about the product you were going to spend 100.00 on OP. You would know what is being offered and if it is worth it to you. Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone to get there money's worth but there is some consumer reposnsibility there.
        • Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

I really hate corporations that make garbage like that. Seriously they act like the alpha of a game is some kind of secret information that is gonna do something if some one says something. Its not like if some one said something about their game, some one could steal it haha. I mean i could understand maybe if some one stole their code and sold it. But banning people, and telling people they cant talk about there experiences in a game, especially one they paid good money for. Thank you very much for telling me that. I never would of looked it up, and i was going to buy the trail blazer in the week. You saved me a bunch of money, and headache lol. Because I 100 percent would of talked about my experience good or bad in it. I believe in the freedom of information, not the non disclosure of it. What losers, thinking that mmo games should be secret information. Its not like any of the alpha and betas they are gonna change anything from the core of the game anyways. To me it sounds like they want to see if they can get some more money from people, before that person can make a educated choice based on feedback. 

It would be like the car company saying well, i will let you test drive this car, but you have to sign this NDA saying you wont let any one else know about it. GARBAGE NONSENSE, good job sony for being retarded. I should of released they would do some nonsense like that. 

Well if you feel that way about NDAs, then I will advise you to read everything you sign when getting a new job, because you most likely will have to sign an NDA before you can start working. I know a few companies that make you sign an NDA just to go on the in house interview.  Difference between that car test drive and an alpha/beta is that the game is not released to the general public, while that car is now in the public domain.

Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM

Well if you feel that way about NDAs, then I will advise you to read everything you sign when getting a new job, because you most likely will have to sign an NDA before you can start working. I know a few companies that make you sign an NDA just to go on the in house interview.  Difference between that car test drive and an alpha/beta is that the game is not released to the general public, while that car is now in the public domain.

Yeah I have signed a NDA when I worked for barrier glass, but that was different. They were trying to keep their way of selling windows safe from their competition. I was going to be working for them, and they were teaching me how to do it. I didnt tell my customers, I am sorry now that i showed you my sales pitch and you know my secrets, you have to sign this NDA. I would be ok with that if i was working for them, but i am not. I am giving them 100 bucks, and they are telling me I cant share my experiences with others, which is just wrong. 

As far they dont want people to get the wrong idea about the game, that is a load of big horse crap. The people get the wrong idea, because the people who joined the alpha for free and think the game is stupid, are going to go and share all kinds of information about the game. I would much rather have the statements from those people, and the people who paid 100 bucks and think the game is alright. 

This is the difference, I will use my barrier windows example. The people I was selling the stuff to didnt know the gimmick that barrier glass showed me to get them to want to buy the window. So me giving them the sales pitch, didnt give away any secrets. Same with the game, they arent giving me their secrets on how they built the game, the code. They are giving me their client. I could understand the NDA saying I cant share the code with people. But to say i cant say. Hey I went into alpha and built a swimming pool, then blew it up, and it was a blast, is the stupidest thing I ever heard in my life. Not to mention the NDA i signed for them, stated I couldent work for another window company for a year. I am sure the NDA here doesnt say I cant play another MMO for a year. So this NDA for mmos sounds like a load of garbage to me. The NDA also didnt say i couldent tell any one I was playing the game. According to Elder scrolls NDA you cant even tell some one you were in it. I didnt read sonys, but if its the standard well... 

I think taking people who signed up for free, and were wanting to work for sony for free, in the alpha sign up, should fall under a NDA. Now a paying customer................... I dont know why any one would buy this if thats the case. Signing a NDA, that says you cant share any information about the game, except on some forum they have. What if i want to tell my friend, that i plan on giving one of my closed beta keys to about the game. Or my dad, or my friends. Such load of garbage, giving some one 100 bucks, and then you cant share it with any one but complete strangers on a forum. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

no need to pay 100 initially

pay 20 dollars and upgrade to 100 later if so inclined

Originally posted by Nadia

no need to pay 100 initially

pay 20 dollars and upgrade to 100 later if so inclined

Well I liked the stuff I was getting, namely my name in the credits and alpha and beta access. 

The game will be free to play when it launches so you're not "saving" anyone from being tricked if the game is not good.

The windows analogy would fit if there was a new window, still in prototype phase, that people were willing to buy and try after being told this may not work right and they would later receive the better windows. The buyers would know there would be later versions of the window made that would be better and fit the intention of the product to a greater extent.

Now imagine someone buying that prototype set, saying "this doesn't work right" and railing to everyone they know about it before getting the final iteration of the windows. That's what companies are trying to avoid when they ask you to uphold an NDA. It's standard procedure for any MMO.

The money you pay is getting you additional features and perks but does not change what and alpha and beta NDA are.
        • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

How do you figure they have come pretty far?All they did was create a world,most likely with a world generator and license a Minecraft like program.Voxels is not something they created,they put almost no work into it,if any at all.They will have created the very simple animations for harvesting/gathering and the low end textures to paste onto thgose animations.

As for building that again will be YOU utilizing the Voxels software,again nothing that SOE is doing.

IMO SOE has done very little, weather that is considered a POOR effort depends on how long since they scrapped their original thoughts and design to restart  in this new direction.

IMO it looks very obvious,they want YOU to fund their game and pay for the Voxels licensing,they want to put in little effort to get that kickstart money from gamer's.Weather thaty is morally wrong depends on how you feel about so many other developers doing the same thing,this is merely a USED TO BE leader now FOLLOWING the current trends in gaming with kickstarters and founder pack ideas...aka "free money".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

How do you figure they have come pretty far?All they did was create a world,most likely with a world generator and license a Minecraft like program.Voxels is not something they created,they put almost no work into it,if any at all.They will have created the very simple animations for harvesting/gathering and the low end textures to paste onto thgose animations.

As for building that again will be YOU utilizing the Voxels software,again nothing that SOE is doing.

IMO SOE has done very little, weather that is considered a POOR effort depends on how long since they scrapped their original thoughts and design to restart  in this new direction.

IMO it looks very obvious,they want YOU to fund their game and pay for the Voxels licensing,they want to put in little effort to get that kickstart money from gamer's.Weather thaty is morally wrong depends on how you feel about so many other developers doing the same thing,this is merely a USED TO BE leader now FOLLOWING the current trends in gaming with kickstarters and founder pack ideas...aka "free money".

The info is out there if you wish to see it and would answer most of these questions and comments (I mean, the part in blue I actually listed with a link and time it was said).  I think you highly underestimate what it takes to make something like this work.

Regarding the packs it's the same as any other CE except they are allowing alpha access and not just beta.  They are offering more than most games regarding items and perks too.  Even still I think some are glad to invest in something that isn't a dull themepark quest game at this point.  Something you can actually express some creativity in and explore a bit.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
          No need for Trail Blazer really.  It's only a month before the $20 Beta.  The game is nowhere near ready for the end of Alpha stage rolling into Beta.
          There is more than a month early access for trailblazer, you should check out the founders pack walkthrough in the Landmark channel below. That said the open beta will probably not be more than a few months after beta, who knows.