Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 2014 'the' most exiting year for the MMO genre?

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    How many of those games are launching without a cash shop?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    The most exciting year for the MMO genre will be when Titan is released.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    The only MMos on that list launching in the near future are the themeparks.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    The only MMos on that list launching in the near future are the themeparks.

You're cute, the type of person who only reads 1-2 lines and thinks you formed an appropriate opinion on the whole post.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Yeah I can't say I'm really excited about any of those. The only thing I am excited about is the D3 expansion which is pretty funny as I was never really a big Diablo fan. I liked their tone better than D3 but I was able to finish D3. After a while Diablo and diablo 2 got tiring. Still, I might try again.

so let's see ...

Wildstar

Not interested but looks like a fun game for those who can get into the style.

Archeage

I like the general "gestalt" but in general, the world holds no interest so passing.

EverQuest Next

I like the features but not the art style. Might try it.

EverQuest Next Landmark

Not interested in this, Not really interested in voxels or mincraft type of building. I'd rather play with the elder scrolls toolset.

Elder Scrolls Online

I "should" be interested in this but jury is still out. This might be a wait and see game.

Destiny

Not interested. Not really interested in sci-fi games (for long) though this does look beautiful.

Blade and Soul

Unfortunately not what I thought it was going to be but I'll try it.

Shroud of the Avatar

not interested

Black Desert

I like the features but there are a few things that still remain to be seen. For instance is this going to be like Vindictus where you have a "character" and everyone picks from the handful of "characters"? The game play I've seen seems to suggest this.

The Division 

Not interested

Bless

Looks amazing but I need to know more

Otherland

Not interested

Warlords of Dreanor

Not really a WoW player though I'm trying my hand at it again, let's see how long it lasts this time.

soooo, 2014 not that big a deal for me. I hope others enjoy it though.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    IF and I do mean IF Archeage, EQ/L and Shroud of the Avatar do launch in 2014, yes it will be. If not, no. I already know that Black Desert wont be and Bless and Ein wont be enough to make it the best because most of the rest are just more of the same crap that has been made over the last 13 years. Destiny is just hype right now with no substance and Blade and Soul while it looks great graphically looks like just another poor port from Korea according to the last vid. If the can actually translate it right or change it so it makes sense in English, then...with Bliss, Ein and Archeage will be a great year even without the EQ games and Shroud.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• weightscaleweightscale Member Posts: 5

Well, that could be the most exciting year for a lot of players...maybe. Not for me though, I already held onto some favorites of mine...hopefully they don't shut down. I'm not ready yet of the feeling of having spent your money on something that's gone forever...

Oh wait, scratch that, I already know...although I haven't spent as much on those things.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its the mmorpg.com mirage effect: the further away an mmo is from release, the better it looks.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

All I see is increased saturation in a crowded market, making monetization even more critical than it already is.

I don't see that as exciting, other than watching the winners and losers fight it out for profits and survival.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Originally posted by Malacth

Otherland

Otherland is dead and no longer in development.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Nadia

i think 2003 was the best year

Eve Online

Horizons (now called Istaria)

Lineage II

Second Life

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

So on point. Wow that was a good year. I forgot that those all released so close together.

2014? Seems like it will be good, but to me it feels more like a transitional year. Like a bridge between the WoW era and whatever is next. Nothing being released seems like it will define the next evolution of MMORPGs, but help determine what that evolutionary step ends up being, depending on their respective levels of success and (to a lesser extent) critical reception.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Star CItizen blows everything on the list

I have such a dirty mind...

I'm looking forward to 2014.

Warlords of Draenor, D3 expansion, Destiny, and maybe ESO...

This, exactly, can t wait for those you listed.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    The list isn't nearly as interesting once you get rid of all the Korean Grinders.  I'm excited for ESO, and I'll probably get the WoW expansion, but that's it.  Thankfully, as long as ESO doesn't completely tank, I should be set for a while.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by PerfArt

So on point. Wow that was a good year. I forgot that those all released so close together.

2014? Seems like it will be good, but to me it feels more like a transitional year. Like a bridge between the WoW era and whatever is next. Nothing being released seems like it will define the next evolution of MMORPGs, but help determine what that evolutionary step ends up being, depending on their respective levels of success and (to a lesser extent) critical reception.

I think we are already IN the next era.  The industry has transitioned almost fully over to F2P games that aren't really designed for long-term attraction.  Just "good enough" combat and pretty graphics, without any real interest in forging long-term dedication.  It's all just disposable enjoyment, which is fine I guess.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is a few of the indie MMO's that are in the works develop a small but loyal fanbase.  Stuff like that "life is feudal" and the Pathfinder MMO.  As long as the developer isn't trying to chase a million in subs, there's no reason they couldn't make a profit with a close-knit community of several hundred thousand.

You make me like charity

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There are some that still have my interest but i am not sold on anything yet.

Bless,Archeage,Black Desert and perhaps Destiny deserves a small look but although they look "interesting"nothing is doing what i want from a game and sadly i doubt if there will ever be a game i desire because gaming moves in trends and waves like  new fashion.

I guess it is like saying i wish we could have the old solid steel cars back with the 289hipo or the 440 magnum or Mustang Cobra Jet motors,when everything is now cheap thin metal and 6 cylinders with tons and tons of computer chips and sensors.

I am never going to see another non hand holding game,it is almost like a given that the developer needs to give us a path to follow,lots of symbols on the map and in the game world to tell us everything,leave your brain at the door.Interaction and immersion,pfft no need we will tell you what npc to click and where to go after that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by PerfArt

I think we are already IN the next era.  The industry has transitioned almost fully over to F2P games that aren't really designed for long-term attraction.  Just "good enough" combat and pretty graphics, without any real interest in forging long-term dedication.  It's all just disposable enjoyment, which is fine I guess.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is a few of the indie MMO's that are in the works develop a small but loyal fanbase.  Stuff like that "life is feudal" and the Pathfinder MMO.  As long as the developer isn't trying to chase a million in subs, there's no reason they couldn't make a profit with a close-knit community of several hundred thousand.

Are we so sure it wasn't the bored players that drove games to become this disposable enjoyment first. Most of the great mmos didn't become great right away. It took them years to develop. People don't stay for years anymore. They get till the next mmo comes out...at best and then move on. Many of the older mmos out there like lotro might have been even better if they kept a stable population to fund it's development.

The huge drop in populations has to have a lasting effect on a games development.

• karbonistakarbonista Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Next year is *always* the best year for MMOs.  It's been that way since the first hype for the first MMO was announced.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Most of those games probably wont actually launch in 2014,  but there is a lot to look forward to.

This.  What makes you think all of those games will actually release in 2014?

Because the devs say so...lol...lolol....lololol...

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by karbonista
    Next year is *always* the best year for MMOs.  It's been that way since the first hype for the first MMO was announced.

I should have worded it better. I meant more along the lines of "Most widely exciting year for MMO's" as there are more anticipated MMO's coming out 2014 than any other year, ever?

That said 2003 was a good year (SWG, Eve, Lineage 2, Second Life), and so was 2012 (GW2, TSW, Tera, D3) 

Just shows that developers are noticing the MMO genre a little more, and hopefully next year, or some close year after, we'll start to have some decent MMO's again.

(I don't like the new stuff much - GW2, Swtor, Tera etc.)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but not for me. None of the listed games interest me. I do hope that players are pleased with the upcoming offerings, though.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Only one on that list I am interested in is The Division. I am also interested in The Repopulation which is not on that list. Oh and if they can pull Destiny off that will be decent as well.

I will not be playing Wildstar even though I was tempted but if I wanted to play WoW I will do just that I have over 8 years invested no point in doing that for a second runner up copycat imo.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Nothing on that list is particularly exciting other than Everquest Next

I was looking forward to Destiny but I don't have a console so I won't get to play it

Elder Scrolls Online looks completely awful and I haven't heard anything good from the betatesters

Warlords of Draenor might be fun for a month or two but I'm not particularly excited about it.

The rest of the MMO's on that list are crap

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    ya there some good titles there but i bet most of them will be very sad and we will be let down
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

destiny might be pc to  at one point they were talking about it and ya eso is a huge let down a revamped  gwars 2 

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    This article pretty much lays out what we've all been saying about the industry.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5-reasons-video-game-industry-about-to-crash.html