Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: Layoffs at CCP Altanta Affect Dev Team

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Well shoot! I had hopes for this title.... oh well...
  • Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    this game will never  be finished it is vaporware  they should give the rights to make this game to some other company that will work on the game.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, that sucks. Because people losing their jobs suck, and because World of Darkness sounds like it could be really cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Distopia

Seems my interpretation of past events was pretty spot on. They obviously were looking for ways to make more money back during Monoclegate. Instead they let their players dictate their business plans.

They were also looking to bring new untapped players into EVE with their direction with WIS, again they let their current players dictate their future business plans. I'm sure that's all fine and good for their current audience, however for them and everyone looking forward to WOD? Not so much.

They really did over extend themselves its seems and tried to make up the shortfall with Monoclegate. Dust flopped and this is the result. It baffles me why the hell they ever made Dust, no-name company tries to enter the most competitive genre in the whole of gaming and exclusively on one console, truly bonkers. And as a result of that failure the much more interesting project World of Darkness suffers. Sometimes I really am baffled by the decisions some development companies make.

Originally posted by black_isle
    I wish they lost the license tbh, but not gonna happen unfortunately.

They cannot lose the license they own the license as in the own White Wolf as far as I know.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by black_isle
    I wish they lost the license tbh, but not gonna happen unfortunately.

They don't own the license. CCP own's White Wolf publishing. They own the IP. 

I have serious doubts we will ever see this game.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Poor fellaz- getting fired during the holidays!

Harsh cruel world......why art thou dig dagger in world of darkness? NUUUU!

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

No holiday bonus = money saved

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What makes it very odd is that CCP is making a killing with Eve, a game that runs for pennies raking in millions.

point being that if they truly were committed and cared about WOD,they most certainly could afford to do it full steam ahead.

It really makes me wonder wth is CCP doing with all the money they make,are these guys filling up offshore accounts ready to sink the ship soon?When you have a lot of money and lay guys off from an unfnished product,there is something seriously wrong under the hood.

To me it is a no brainer,they couldn't care less about this game anymore but they will tell you they do because they want  to make something out of this investment.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Never good news in general, but 15 out of how many? And what positions?

This^  Not to concerned if its dead weight, Sorry to see peeps let go before Christmas but well it happens.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Crowd fund this thing. The followers of this IP are %$#@ing rabid.

You stay sassy!

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What makes it very odd is that CCP is making a killing with Eve, a game that runs for pennies raking in millions.

point being that if they truly were committed and cared about WOD,they most certainly could afford to do it full steam ahead.

It really makes me wonder wth is CCP doing with all the money they make,are these guys filling up offshore accounts ready to sink the ship soon?When you have a lot of money and lay guys off from an unfnished product,there is something seriously wrong under the hood.

To me it is a no brainer,they couldn't care less about this game anymore but they will tell you they do because they want  to make something out of this investment.

Eve costs more to run than most games. They spend tons each year trying to keep up with the lag/server builds to make the big battles and everyone playing on one world thing work.

Eve,Dust, and WOD..

Too many irons in the fire for one high cost game to support fully.

But hopefully, they can continue working on WOD .

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
     Not surprising at all, I've always been a huge supporter of CCP and EVE-Online for 8 years. But not any more. These layoffs are most likely linked to the poor decision of making Dust 514 PS only , integrating Dust with EVE.  Honestly I can see where this is going for the next 5 years. EVE will start losing subs because the game will become too much of a grind, as if it wasn't at all time consuming already.   I would of made Dust 514 a whole different game being like PlanetSide with a pinch of End Of Nations, instead of integrating it with EVE and have players of EVE worry about something new, in which they don't have enough to worry about already.  It's a self inflicting wound on the part of CCP. We might not see it now ,but within 5 years we'll most likely see a great prospect like World of Darkness be put on hold or even cancelled.   I've stopped being naive a long time ago and able to see and read beyond and between the lines.     I'll give a glimpse of my vision right now, Dust 514 is F2P , EVE is P2P, what will happen when there will be 40 times more people playing Dust then EVE?   It's only a matter of time before EVE goes F2P , hence the reason why I quit 2 years ago.  a F2P EVE online will get it's socks blown off by Novus Aeterno which of course is F2P,  but will never be P2W.     What will happen when EVE goes F2P?  People will start joining, after a while start crying because they will never be able to catch up to those playing for years and voila you got a cash shop where you can buy skill points.   Do like me and sale your EVE online characters while the prices on toons are still hot, because like hockey cards back in the 80's, they won't be worth jack by 2020.   CCP was a great company, but who ever came up with the idea of Dust 514, just poisoned the company that is slowly going to die. Like I said a few lines above, it won't show now, but we'll start seeing signs of it in 2 years and 3 years after that will be the fall.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

Eve costs more to run than most games. They spend tons each year trying to keep up with the lag/server builds to make the big battles and everyone playing on one world thing work.

Eve,Dust, and WOD..

How do you know the operating costs of any of the mmos ?

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    When i saw the presentation of nothing  that they had I knew this was vaporware.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think we have some CCPers here on the forum.  Hope they missed the axe.  Sorry that any had to get it, and talk about crappy timing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    They own White Wolf so sadly can't lose the license.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

First of, firing people just before christmas is sucker move of gigantic proportions.

Second they forgot to add that whole team consisted of 16 people. And they fired 15...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Eve,Dust, and WOD..

Have you seen the houses the devs at CCP Iceland live in? Have you seen the cars they drive?

That´s where Your Money goes.

The iceland Office has a very strong core of People that have been there since the startup of the Company and they take the biggest chunk of the Money the Company is making.

The CCP many know from years ago, no longer exist. Like so often happens, greed has gone into their heads long ago and now the entire Company is driven by greed mongering fools, that are being held hostage by a very strong hardcore Group of EVE players (who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars a month) from the likes of Goon and other terrible EVE Corps dictating the direction of CCP´s Development.

A lot of People (me included) wanted WIS to be fully developed and Integrated into the game.

It´s this very vocal Group of EVE players that litterly threatened CCP to stop it and change Development direction and continue do the same old same old that benefits the largest Corps in the game.

I used to be a fanatic EVE player years ago, but With all the controversies between EVE employees and these large corps over the years, the "real" corruption, PLEX controversities, Monoclegate, etc...... Mehh.

WoD will never see the light of day. What another poster already said. They basically fired the entire WoD team. Take it for what you will.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, that sucks - i hoped WoD could be something fresh in the MMOrpg-world!

There are not many values left in our "Cutthroat Capitalsm Me World Of Lies" but to "Air Out" People in december is even today bad business behavior and should be judged accordingly.

I allways knew that these CCP Folks are of a strange kind bcs i played EvE a few months and the Soul of the game represents the Soul of its Devs and EvE is a dark, cold and technocratic game that rewards all kinds of ingame crimes while totally missing any Wonders of Space, Mystery of the Universe and their Shipdesign is at best "weird".

"WiS" and according gameplay could have increased my motivation to play EvE despite the horrible "Soul" of the game but yeah, that and Dust and all their acting show what CCP is worth for...

All People live in the Hell they build themself - enjoy yours CCP.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

The mix of EVE and Tin Foil Hats never stops to entertain.

*Graps Popcorn*

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Well, that sucks - i hoped WoD could be something fresh in the MMOrpg-world!

To be honest, so does CCP. And that is the real issue here.

This is the second time they cut of the asset team from the game, which basicly means they STILL dont have a lock on how the core mechanics of the game should work.

I will rather wait until they think they got it right than get something half baked. CCP have too many times been forced into delivereing a half backed product due to thier PR department overselling something way before it was even done and thus comitting the company to delivering "something" rather than delay or even scrap bad ideas. (Incarna, Planetary Interaction, DUST and I fear Valkyrie)

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Eve,Dust, and WOD..

Have you seen the houses the devs at CCP Iceland live in? Have you seen the cars they drive?

That´s where Your Money goes.

The iceland Office has a very strong core of People that have been there since the startup of the Company and they take the biggest chunk of the Money the Company is making.

The CCP many know from years ago, no longer exist. Like so often happens, greed has gone into their heads long ago and now the entire Company is driven by greed mongering fools, that are being held hostage by a very strong hardcore Group of EVE players (who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars a month) from the likes of Goon and other terrible EVE Corps dictating the direction of CCP´s Development.

A lot of People (me included) wanted WIS to be fully developed and Integrated into the game.

It´s this very vocal Group of EVE players that litterly threatened CCP to stop it and change Development direction and continue do the same old same old that benefits the largest Corps in the game.

I used to be a fanatic EVE player years ago, but With all the controversies between EVE employees and these large corps over the years, the "real" corruption, PLEX controversities, Monoclegate, etc...... Mehh.

WoD will never see the light of day. What another poster already said. They basically fired the entire WoD team. Take it for what you will.

Agreed. One of the reasons I left the game was because of the fact that CCP as a whole lets the big corps dominate the direction of the game's development, especially in regards to WIS. When I think of what they could've accomplished with that by now, I can only shake my head in disappointment. Disappointment that the community reacted in such a bigoted fashion, and disappointment that CCP didn't have the balls to tell the vocal minority to shove off, but instead altered their focus & left their own vision behind just to cater to a few short-sighted whiners.

Hell, the Goons threatened to leave over it... although I can't see that as anything but a positive.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, I hope those who were discharged from the company can find work quickly. Pretty shitty of CCP to fire them right before Christmas; they couldn't have at least waited until January? They had to free up those funds RIGHT NOW? I don't even think EA has stooped that low yet, correct me if I'm wrong. Talk about cold-hearted.

Ah well, I'm sure they'll find new positions before too long, probably working on an actual game instead of a piece of vaporware.

Oh, and screw you CCP. Here's hoping you get visited by three ghosts before this holiday season is concluded.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Doing too much too soon; something is going to get dropped.

That said CCP have produced some awesome stuff in this genre so can't be too hard on them when things don't pan out.

Still WoD is Top 5 Most anticipated in this sterile genre. Hope they just release a smaller
    Game and let the players build/run it.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by AndrewGoat
    This game was seriously one of the few MMOs I was truly looking forward to, as we don't actually have very many if any dark, vampire/werewolf type games in the MMO genre. If they screw this up, it will be an epic failure. I can't understand how a company would continue to work on a sandbox of trolls(EVE Online) instead of getting this game up and running. Makes no sense.

Because their only successful venture is called EVE Online, it is unique in the gaming world, especially the MMO scene which likes to copy the well known sandbox milking cow.

EVE is their flagship and main money sink , their 2nd venture WOD isnt even Live yet -probably never will- and their 3rd -DUST- is a massive failure so far.

So yes, why shouldn't they ditch EVE Online as they have so many other good titles to look after?

Shouldn't that "flagship" be making enough money to keep their employees?  Something about that flagship or its business model is making it less profitable than they expected.  Even heartless companies hate firing people during the Holidays, if not for reasons of conscience, then for public relations and image.

just pointing out that mr Goat hints at stopping pouring money into their main income.

Always a smart move to abandon your main income to free up resources for a questionable project. :S

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Strategic adjustment.... Why do I picture someone getting kicked in the face while they cling to a raft that's starting to sink.

^this.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse