Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open beta?

Any rumors about open beta is coming up soon?

OM Shanti

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Game launches in the spring. Open Beta just before launch.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    If they want to make sure nobody buys the game they will open beta soon.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tygranir

If there is an open beta, so far open betas never helped a game, more pre orders get canceled then bringing potential new customers

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If there is an open beta, so far open betas never helped a game, more pre orders get canceled then bringing potential new customers

Zenimax has confirmed that there will be an open beta.... not sure if that was under NDA though...

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Where is the proof in this statement?

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

i lot of you will be disapointed  when you try this best  just fucking chill  intell release

• RampajiRampaji Member Posts: 50

I'm just looking forward to play Elders Scroll :) Just like many of you people here on this forum.

Besthesda keep up working and making this game a great and fun experience with friends and other good folk :)

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Rampaji

I'm just looking forward to play Elders Scroll :) Just like many of you people here on this forum.

Besthesda keep up working and making this game a great and fun experience with friends and other good folk :)

bethesda isn't developing this game, zenimax was contracted to make it and they are a totally separate company.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by evilized

bethesda isn't developing this game, zenimax was contracted to make it and they are a totally separate company.

Try they are owned by the same company. They are 100% bedfellows. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Tygranir Game launches in the spring. Open Beta just before launch.

open betas do help, they stress test servers and i am sure they will need to test the megaserver tech, which will require a lot of people.

but it doesn't necessarily have to be an open beta, they could just invite a shit ton of people and have massive last minute beta weekends.

it's essentially the same thing.

that said, i will only play it at launch unless it's like a week before, even then i might just toy with the character creation tool.

tired of betas ruining my post launch experience.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Try they are owned by the same company. The are 100% bedfellows. 

That's like saying the makers of Diablo are owned by the same company as the makers of WoW. They're the same.

Being owned by the same company means didly squat in terms of expecting company A's game to be anything like company B's game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Open beta and early access have become such a standard perk of pre-ordering that I would be shocked if a) there isn't an open beta and b) pre-purchase doesn't guarantee a spot.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Based on my closed beta experience, I don't think they care about that.  Unlike pretty much every other game beta (open or closed), the ESO team has actually used it for legit reasons like bugs and mechanics testing.  I have a feeling their open beta will be more of a stress test, rather than a marketing ploy.

Make no mistake, lots of people are going to be unhappy with the game, but that's because they're demanding things like "modded skyrim online" and stuff.  Nothing will make them happy.  And that's fine.

You make me like charity

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

That's like saying the makers of Diablo are owned by the same company as the makers of WoW. They're the same.

Being owned by the same company means didly squat in terms of expecting company A's game to be anything like company B's game.

Theyre the same the same guy started both of them. Its all legalieze. I said it somewhere before. If ESO tanks then it is going to be "zenimax fault' not Bethesda. That way they can still continue the ES IP on single player platform and people like you who actually think there is a separation wont be judgmental.

As for open beta. I suspect theyll go the 'new' route. If you preorder you get into open beta, if you dont then you wont. So it really isnt open it will be a restricted pr launch sort of deal.

This game would more than likely suffer from any of that. The beta invites have been extremely limited so maybe 2500-4000 people have seen the game? They had over a million sign up for it, not sure how many individual people that represented but surely a lot more than what have beta tested it. So there is still a lot of mystery. Even though 75% of the beta talk has been less than positive most will chalk that up to people being 'haters'.  But if they release it before people commit it wont be a mystery anymore. SO I really dont see how they can possibly release an truly open beta.

• GeadinGeadin Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Hopefully it wont have microsoft sam voice overs
  • HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by rodarin

Theyre the same the same guy started both of them. Its all legalieze. I said it somewhere before. If ESO tanks then it is going to be "zenimax fault' not Bethesda. That way they can still continue the ES IP on single player platform and people like you who actually think there is a separation wont be judgmental.

As for open beta. I suspect theyll go the 'new' route. If you preorder you get into open beta, if you dont then you wont. So it really isnt open it will be a restricted pr launch sort of deal.

This game would more than likely suffer from any of that. The beta invites have been extremely limited so maybe 2500-4000 people have seen the game? They had over a million sign up for it, not sure how many individual people that represented but surely a lot more than what have beta tested it. So there is still a lot of mystery. Even though 75% of the beta talk has been less than positive most will chalk that up to people being 'haters'.  But if they release it before people commit it wont be a mystery anymore. SO I really dont see how they can possibly release an truly open beta.

In the letter published today with the launch info, Matt Firor said there were 300,000 people at the last beta event in November.

So they are definitely in the ballpark of being able to host an open beta when the time is right.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

There will be definitely more beta testing based on the Matt Foror's letter. Will it be open beta? Time will tell.

"As some of you know, we’ve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. We’ve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated."

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

It actually depends.  If they all work in the same building you can bet they share resources and people and have had multiple people work on the Single player and MMORPG versions.   Otherwise its most likely a different team maybe you send over a guy or 2 to consult or work with the team but beyond that probably not.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Not Correct.

This from the Zemimax website:

Welcome to ZeniMax Online!

We create world-class online games at our headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland, including the recently announced The Elder Scrolls Online.

ZeniMax Online is part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes our publishing partner Bethesda, Bethesda Game Studios, id software, and Arkane Studios.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    Originally posted by Fearum

Where is the proof in this statement?

I think this is relevant:

Information from analytic firm EEDAR suggests that releasing a game without a demo can almost double sales.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-demos-can-hurt-sales-suggests-research/1100-6410863/

I can understand why MMOs would stop doing full on Open Betas, but since its already industry standard I think it will reflect poorly on the game and the company. To some it would seem as if they are going for a money grab because they doubt the quality of their own game.

I dont blame them though, we MMO gamers are a tough crowd to please and when the inevitable angry gamers try it out they will do all in their power to bash the game on as many sites as possible. So between those seemingly never ending supply of negative testers/reviewers and open Beta "demos" I can only imagine how much a hit all these MMOs have been taking from Open Betas.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

In the letter published today with the launch info, Matt Firor said there were 300,000 people at the last beta event in November.

So they are definitely in the ballpark of being able to host an open beta when the time is right.

No way in hell was there even close to that many people. If that  is an actual statement its an outright lie. Unless there are a dozen other servers I dont know about. Or 298 thousand of them couldnt log on.

EDIT I just read the statement. Looks like the semantics game to me. I bet they counted individual log ins and not unique people. Because no way there were that many people in that last beta. I doubt there were 5000 individuals that logged in. If there were 300K I dont care what race zone you were in it would have been a circus. I played a Breton and at no time was Daggerfall remotely busy let alone crowded.

Either way Open betas are bad for games regardless.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

No way in hell was there even close to that many people. If that  is an actual statement its an outright lie. Unless there are a dozen other servers I dont know about. Or 298 thousand of them could log on.

I thought one of the main/unique features of this game was it was to run on only one server.

edit: Plus it doesn't mean 300k on all at once.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• badwolf33badwolf33 Member Posts: 3
    No, it'll be like how WoW has consolodated servers. Ever noticed how you can be logged in at the same time as a friend and be in the same area, but not see them unless you group up? Kind of like, one universe, but multiple layers within it.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    If they want to make sure nobody buys the game they will open beta soon.

Nobody will have to buy the game... it will turn free-to-play by the time launch comes!

Heh