Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: ESO Launching April 4th, 2014 - PVP Detailed in New Video

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Did anyone else get goosebumps and teary eyed think of DAoC watching this?  Can't wait :D
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I bet the hold the NDA right up until release day.  
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

OK so we now have a hard release day.

That last Beta must have gone better than 90% of the people who were in it thought I guess.

The number of betas between now and April 4 will also be very telling.

I suspect there might not be any more. Maybe one. Seems like theyre drawing a line in the sand and letting the critics do what they do and let they, the developers do what they do. So far in the past decade its been critics undefeated and developers winless in terms of who was more correct abut the product and its ability to hold a playerbase willing to pay for it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Every time "the masses" where enthusiatic about an MMO it failed.

So now the masses are negative, does it mean ESO will be a great success? ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Elikal

Every time "the masses" where enthusiatic about an MMO it failed.

So now the masses are negative, does it mean ESO will be a great success? ;)

Could just mean its off most people's radar already. Too early to tell man. Big launch numbers have to be expected. Its the aftermath you need to look out for.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Is it me, or does the non-metal armor look like its made out of styrofoam? It doesn't look like leather or cloth.  And yeah, the animations look ... 2005ish.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Binny45

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too soon!!!!

Would love to see this one fly, but if history has taught us anything, you should beta test the CRAP out of your game for years before even attempting to release it to market (and even then there's no assurance of success).

This one will probably fail. :(

I don't get people saying it's way too soon. You realize this game has been in development for like 5 years? It started development at the same time as Skyrim and with that launch date it's still got 4 months of beta testing.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    April 2014, why you no here yet?
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by observer
    It's nowhere near ready, and i seriously doubt it will be ready in 5 months, especially knowing they've had years to make this game.  If they couldn't make it better after all this time, then they never will.

where do you get your info from?  curious, i have been in the beta, and i and everyone ive talked to like it.

Need i point out its been in dev almost what? 5 years?

no matter what the small percentage of haters say, this game will most likely be a success, mostly to the huge console following, and face it, the first real console mmo other than the EQ one in how long( and i'm discounting DC, due to being in a different class of mmorp)

once again haters hate, players play.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I, for one, am looking forward to playing.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Huge launch, followed by a mass exodus, F2P in less than a year. Loyal core following for years afterwards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98

I personally don't give a flying toss about PVP as Elder scrolls games were mostly solo but am still looking forward to giving the game a fair chance on release. Always wished i could play elder scrolls with mates though hence I will wait and see what its like.

I signed up as soon as they announced beta invites but still havn't got one yet.

Watched a few vids looks ok, the PVP does look just like Warhammer Online did when i tried a couple of sieges which was mostly raiding unoccupied towers and keeps. However not interested in PVP anyway.

Guess i will buy it and give it a try next year on PC.

• SquishemSquishem Member UncommonPosts: 10

I don't know about ESO PVP at this time. It seems Linear. The Video didn't say or show anything new. The 3 Factions will be nice except the combat is very bulky & not fluent or its the frame rate.
    There's nothing new I see. These seem like even numbers but we all know the biggest Zerg usually wins or owns everything, so that's not being addressed.

The release date was the important part. The Video feels cheap to me.

just my opinion.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I have to say I'm quite disappointed with the lack of detail and overall lazy map design in the pvp areas. Just look at some of those shots, only trees, rocks, and grass that renders 30 meters around the player. It just feels empty and lifeless compared to skyrim. The roads feel like they are painted onto the terrain with a brush, there is no tessellation, no surrounding details or anything.

Especially the background at 0:52 sticks out like a sore thumb. There is nothing there. I have seen better stuff come out of neverwinter foundry.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Huge launch, followed by a mass exodus, F2P in less than a year. Loyal core following for years afterwards.

too funny, probably true.

The true final laugh is that those end-game PVP fights are only after someone maxes their toon.  With 3 factions to play, why would anyone waste time to get good at PVP.  Create a new character on another faction, and see that story instead!

For those big fights, people would need to continue working on just 1 character, and resist the true nature of ESO - PVE story!

I foresee empty battlegrounds for quite some time .. which is going to irritate the PVP-centric crowd, causing them to break-up / disband, and ultimately leaving a cluster F for PVP. lol

Any bets on how soon this game goes F2P?  Use SWTOR as a reference of 11 months .. Over, Under? lol.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

ZOS- "We will release #ESO on #4/4/14 because its the  #trending #3-same-numbers-in-the-date thing thats #kewl and we at #Zemimax want to be #kewlandtrending"

Not realizing that to the Chinese (who have alot of US players) the #4 is a bad luck number.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    GW2? :)

Oh gosh, see, you didn't read.  GW2 is a collage of the same classes and races killing each other in instanced battlegrounds of pure yawndom.

GW2 DOES NOT have pve zones that are unique to the faction from 1-50.  TESO does.  So where all races in GW2 share the same grind, you have multiple races per faction experiencing their own world.  So all that lore you read about in GW2 went out the door the minute your Asura ranger had to pvp another Asura ranger.  There will be something you haven't heard of in TESO : realm pride.  This is where you enjoy being a part of a unique realm and honor it through defense and the application of territorial acquisition.  You see, this is an mmoRPG, not an mmoVG (massively multi player online video game)...

So, in short, GW2?  No. :)  Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Karteli

The true final laugh is that those end-game PVP fights are only after someone maxes their toon.  With 3 factions to play, why would anyone waste time to get good at PVP.  Create a new character on another faction, and see that story instead!

For those big fights, people would need to continue working on just 1 character, and resist the true nature of ESO - PVE story!

I foresee empty battlegrounds for quite some time .. which is going to irritate the PVP-centric crowd, causing them to break-up / disband, and ultimately leaving a cluster F for PVP. lol

Any bets on how soon this game goes F2P?  Use SWTOR as a reference of 11 months .. Over, Under? lol.

You never played Dark Age of Camelot, did you?  Though, considering that a majority of the gaming population have never experienced tri-realm pvp (RvR)...not some cosmetically created third faction or yet another WoWish 2 faction clone with 5 races and classes...

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Today Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda announced that Elder Scrolls Online will be launching worldwide simultaneously on Mac and PC on April 4th, 2014 (4.4.14). The Xbox One and Playstation 4 will follow in June 2014. In addition, the team put out a detailed new video look at the Alliance War - ESO's Massive PVP system. Read on!

Full pricing and pre-order details are still to come, but while we wait the next five months for the launch of Elder Scrolls Online, it seems that we're finally getting some solid details on the game's much-anticipated PVP system that will allow players to take on the role of emperor of Tamriel. Watch the video below and let us know your thoughts on both the April launch date and the AvA warfare.

It's going to really confuse a lot of folks to see that the same races aren't killing each other.  Sure is refreshing!  I actually had a sense of fantasy immersion.  Now if they could only make the classes unique between realms...instead of what will likely be flavor of the month mirrored images of the same sorc/templar/etc builds across all three factions.

Can't have everything, but I'll take what I see here.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Comaf

Oh gosh, see, you didn't read.  GW2 is a collage of the same classes and races killing each other in instanced battlegrounds of pure yawndom.

GW2 DOES NOT have pve zones that are unique to the faction from 1-50.  TESO does.  So where all races in GW2 share the same grind, you have multiple races per faction experiencing their own world.  So all that lore you read about in GW2 went out the door the minute your Asura ranger had to pvp another Asura ranger.  There will be something you haven't heard of in TESO : realm pride.  This is where you enjoy being a part of a unique realm and honor it through defense and the application of territorial acquisition.  You see, this is an mmoRPG, not an mmoVG (massively multi player online video game)...

GW2 has unique starting zones, which is the equivalent of a new game for each race.

Realm pride?  You HAVE to explain this one .. is it +5 reputation for mobs killed on the "winning server"?  Or.... Does Zenimax send me a sparkly gold sticker in the mail?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TekroTekro Member UncommonPosts: 19

Wow... I  love reading the posts on this type of information... for those of us that are TRUE RPGers become MMORPGers... we are happy to simply play our games and environments with our friends like we always DREAMED we would or could!!  For the fans of Ultima through to FF to Elder Scrolls... we pray this is a new environment will be a place for us to join each other and simply have a GREAT time!!!

Tekronos

Ranger of the First Glade

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

If TESO is a good and engaging game for a large percent of the people who play it, then it will do well.  If anyone thinks that as long as TESO has realm pride or because there are 3 faction stories that somehow will save a bad game, they are wrong.

Although the ES id might keep it afloat (see swtor).

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98
    The graphics and styling look like Oblivion to me, and not that that's a bad thing, it's just I was hoping for them to be a bit more stylized and interesting/pretty. I never really liked how Oblivion looked, but it was a great game. Here's hoping the gameplay and such of TESO is good, too, because man personally I just do not think it looks good graphics wise.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

That was along the lines of how I am thinking too.  When it goes f2p let's see if Zenimax will use the same line as EA about SWTOR and claim the game was actually designed for f2p all along anyways.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Comaf

GW2 has unique starting zones, which is the equivalent of a new game for each race.

Realm pride?  You HAVE to explain this one .. is it +5 reputation for mobs killed on the "winning server"?  Or.... Does Zenimax send me a sparkly gold sticker in the mail?

I didn't care for GW2 anyways, so it's funny that fans need to compare poop to diarrhea to get a point across.  I'm not sure what the point even was, but I hope it's not frozen.

The Realm pride thing is more about the PVP side of the game, and doesnt really affect the PVE portion of it, as the players on the PVE 'instances' will often be in seperate 'PVP' campaigns, so not much if any, continuity between PVE and PVP, and because each PVP campaign has a fixed set of players, each player that abstains from entering the PVP is in effect weakening that side, should be interesting to see how that pans out, or if they'll change how the campaign part of the game operates, for instance, if a player continually abstains from entering cyrodil, will their 'place' be given to somebody else? image