Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo Progression

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I just started a ranger character.  How far can you progress through solo play?  Is a group needed to get the best gear?

Thanks!

Comments

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I believe you can solo whole game, but you will miss a good gear from group dungs and another thing is, that you will miss the huge part of game. I am not big group player, but I like how then dungs looks like. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Neverwinter is a recent game and with this, the product of this present era... so (being it good or bad) you can solo the whole game without any group activity. Even get the best gear, or a close second best.

I believe that would be a dull and boring route, but definitely viable. It's a waste to missing out DD's. Dungeon delving is fun. Queue up for it and you'll see (I think Cloak Tower is the first, it's a lvl15 one but you can join right at lvl12ish)

Edit: skirmishes start at lvl8, in the Blacklake district. Those are fun as well, but DD's are much better.

• ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80
    The game is very soloable but, for the best gear, you will need to run group dungeons or you can spend astral diamonds on the auction house to gear your character. You can even go back and solo the earlier dungeons (Cloak Tower and Cragmire Crypts) once you hit the level cap, though they don't offer the best gear.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    How good is the gear you can get from the Module 1 and Module 2 campaigns?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

OK, thanks for the info.

So there's a dungeon finder?  Are people as assholic to each other in PUG's in this game as they are in WoW?

Not exactly a dungeon finder, just a queue tab on your quest panel. (edit: on your "home page" panel)

When you reach lvl8 there will be an introduction quest for it (just like for every tab and feature in game, it's pretty annoying after a while :) ), just press K and you see all the available group activities, you can queue up for them with one click. When there's enough players with an appropriate configuration (classes, levels), you'll be noticed, and if you accept, you'll be ported to the instance.

Or, you can queue up as a group, and then ported right away.

Pug qualities are random, you can bump into idiots sometimes, but as a dude here used to say, just don't let a bad pug gets you down. :)

Does the solo play get more difficult as you level?  I just did the wererat lair and it was pretty simple.

Originally posted by Moodsor
    How good is the gear you can get from the Module 1 and Module 2 campaigns?

I'm not a gearhead, but I haven't really found the Module 1 and  Module 2 gear that useful. I have a full Tier 1 set that comes with a set bonus. I'm working towards a Tier 2 set, also with a set bonus. The module 1 and 2 gears sets that I've seen don't have set bonuses. Again, I'm not a gearhead so other people may be able to provide you with better information or some research on the Neverwinter forums might help answer your question.

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Does the solo play get more difficult as you level?  I just did the wererat lair and it was pretty simple.

The game does get more challenging as you go. PVE is mostly doable though there are a couple of the solo dungeon/instances that can be tough. Some say the game is easy, but skill levels will vary. Later group dungeons can be very challenging.

If you party with others while doing PVE, things get markedly easier.

The game does get more challenging as you go. PVE is mostly doable though there are a couple of the solo dungeon/instances that can be tough. Some say the game is easy, but skill levels will vary. Later group dungeons can be very challenging.

If you party with others while doing PVE, things get markedly easier.

OK.  Hope it doesn't get too challenging!  My skill level is...questionable.

Is there a class that is more suited to soloing?  And/or one that doesn't have to dodge as much?

Is there a class that is more suited to soloing?  And/or one that doesn't have to dodge as much?

You should be okay. :)

Guardian Fighters use block instead of dodge if you want to try that. I haven't played the Great Weapon Fighter or Trickster Rogue, but I've heard they are both pretty good classes. I've leveled both a Devoted Cleric and a Control Wizard to 60 with only minor setbacks here or there. I'm leveling a Hunter Ranger now. If it's dodge that's messing you up though, I would go with the Guardian Fighter.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

LOL  Well, I'm sure your skill will improve as you get used to the class.  Besides, you can easily out-level the early and mid level areas, especially if you do a lot of grouping, which will make things quite a bit easier.   

Originally posted by Chadiwicker

You should be okay. :)

Guardian Fighters use block instead of dodge if you want to try that. I haven't played the Great Weapon Fighter or Trickster Rogue, but I've heard they are both pretty good classes. I've leveled both a Devoted Cleric and a Control Wizard to 60 with only minor setbacks here or there. I'm leveling a Hunter Ranger now. If it's dodge that's messing you up though, I would go with the Guardian Fighter.

doesn't have to dodge as much  :)

+1 to Chadiwicker, if you don't like to hopping around, GF is your pick. When a red circle appears and everyone is flashing out in different directions, the GF just yawns and raises his/her shield, problem solved :)  the drawback is that GF is the slowest one if you just need to running around on foot.

Since the game is solo-friendly, every class is suited for solo, especially with a good companion. GF is maybe the slowest (but with the new Paragon it can kill faster), but he's tough. DC is faster, and don't need that much potion. CW is great with a healer companion, fast kill and crowd control, easy to find a group. TR and GWF, both are awesome on the kill-speed department, but hard to find a group since everyone has at least one of them... the game is stuffed with rogues and gw fighters.

Finally hunter, I don't have a hunter yet, since the whole playerbase jumped onto them, so I went back to my TR (left her because of the lack of grouping). Awesome now, I get in a group within a minute, thanks to the truckload of hunters in the queue :)

My first was a DC since I like to play healers, then a CW and a GF. If I should start now, with knowing the game and stuff, I'd start with a rogue or a GWF. Those are the fastest if you plan to solo, easy and forgiving during the leveling. Probably rather the GWF from the two, since you don't like to dodge :) TR is dodging, GWF is running away and around like a caffeinated bunny.