Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 2014 'the' most exiting year for the MMO genre?

MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

2014 brings us MMO's for everyone, sandboxes, themeparks and sandparks. It's pretty much the most jam packed year in MMO history?

Wildstar

Archeage

EverQuest Next

EverQuest Next Landmark

Elder Scrolls Online

Destiny

Blade and Soul

Shroud of the Avatar

Black Desert

The Division 

Bless

Otherland

Black Desert Online

Warlords of Dreanor 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Most of those games probably wont actually launch in 2014,  but there is a lot to look forward to.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

We're finally getting back on a better path, but there is still a long way to go. I think the first four in your list are the only ones that are going to be 'movers and shakers' in the genre (I fit WoD as another excellent title to match the wow theme, not as a standalone game). The rest I would consider scrapping or taking back to the drawing board as they will appear to be niche titles that will end up competing with one another for a sub optimal market.

Realistically we are going to see if 2014 is going to be a good year by April with additional information/betas coming from the EQN games, along with wildstar's and ESO's release.

In the end I think 2014 will be better than the years before it, but mostly because it is impossible to repeat the missteps that we've seen in the last few years.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Most of those games probably wont actually launch in 2014,  but there is a lot to look forward to.

Agree, will be surprised if more than 5 of those actually launch next year, but things are looking up for sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I don't see EverQuest Next making a 2014 release especially with Landmark being delayed until 2014.
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    "

'the' most exiting year for the MMO genre?"

Heh,...maybe if you mean the year the most people exit or stop playing MMO's?  Maybe,...

ESO and EQNext are the only two I will try out,...and even them I don't have high hopes.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Among games you listed only Destiny and Division look promising, but Division isnt coming 2014 and Destiny - consoles only. About EQ: Next Im not sure yet, have to try. Wildstar and TESO - both mediocre at best.

Star CItizen blows everything on the list, definetly most exciting MMO to look forward to. Coming 2015 but well have alot of info and hopefully alpha coming next year.

2012 was definetly a better year for MMO genre

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Star CItizen blows everything on the list

I have such a dirty mind...

I'm looking forward to 2014.

Warlords of Draenor, D3 expansion, Destiny, and maybe ESO...

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Among games you listed only Destiny and Division look promising, but Division isnt coming 2014 and Destiny - consoles only. About EQ: Next Im not sure yet, have to try. Wildstar and TESO - both mediocre at best.

Star CItizen blows everything on the list, definetly most exciting MMO to look forward to. Coming 2015 but well have alot of info and hopefully alpha coming next year.

2012 was definetly a better year for MMO genre

As a backer and avid follower of Star Citizen, I wouldn't count on it being a replacement for MMO gaming.  At least not long term.  Everything we are learning about the game makes it sound like sort of a themepark space sim without the "massively" part.  I'm thinking about it like I would games like Titanfall or Destiny more than my MMO go-to game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

I was looking forward to Star Citizen till I found out it was going to be heavily instanced.

Need a space game that combines Eve with SWG:JTL - The offspring of those two would be wicked.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

The Repopulation isn't a 2014 release?

At least there are a few that have some sandbox elements.  Nice to have a few at least, up from 1 or 2 in 7 years.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Sorry, but I am not 'most excited' about any of them.  I want to see some of them, and I have some hope for them, but recent history tells me that the hope I have isn't going to turn out too well.  I hope I am wrong, but I am not going to hop on the hype train for anything anymore, until I see more proof or try it.

I also wouldn't call a few of those on the list 'mmos', even their makers are saying they aren't, from what I have read on here from people hyped up for them.  They do look like really good fps/lobby games though.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

No.

Granted I voted for No and could have left it at that, but I wanted to make sure to contribute to this discussion.

No.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Most of the titles that don't look just awful are slated for 2015. That would probably be the year I look forward to.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

The ...type game you are hyped about here... is the only one that will be epic, everything else is the same old and sucks.

^

Here, a form for everyone.

I don't see much difference between 2014 and previous years, nothing ground breaking and a lot of promises of innovation, just like any other year.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i think 2003 was the best year

Eve Online

Horizons (now called Istaria)

Lineage II

Second Life

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Most of those mmo's on that list wont be here next year so it's a bit skewered.

I looking more forward to playing games like The Witcher 3 and Darksouls 2 in 2014. I will play Wildstar, ESO and beta EQNL though.

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Out of all those games that you listed, 2 maybe 3 games have a shot at being good. 

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Honestly, and I know you guys don't want to hear this. I think 2014 is the best year for consoles. There are so many things going on with consoles this year that I think they will hold the PC gaming crowd hostage. I think the PC platform needs to come out with a new flagship game soon or we are going to see a decline in PC gaming this year.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Apparently I'm not everyone cause none of those mmos appeal to me

Steam: Neph

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by azonic69

Out of all those games that you listed, 2 maybe 3 games have a shot at being good. 

About that ... and even fewer that will actually interest me.

2015 and beyond also have very interesting prospects:

Pathfinder

Camelot Unchained

Elite: Dangerous

Just saying a game is a sandbox isn't enough to interest me. Sorry to say but a Chinese or Korean sandbox likely interests me less than a themepark. I'm not sure how but they always turn into exploiting nightmares dominated by power gamers and farmers with little to no interest with supporting the individual.

I also feel the mmo landscape is going through a great new change but only 1 in 10 games will actually likely hold my interest and even less will I actually end up playing. It MUST be game developed for the west and not adapted to it and it must be a game that clearly shows its roots in classic rpg games. I will never, ever play a game that comes from entirely different genres such a single player shooter being converted into an mmo. I can adapt to new game play styles but it had better be an rpg game at the core and not yet another pretender trying to grab a piece of the mmorpg pie.

The long list previously posted is obviously an eye candy list because no single player could ever be interested in all those game play styles. It takes much more than initial developer propaganda to gain my interest. I have to like the game world, story, characters and why the game is developed in the first place to start liking a game. I find far too many players simply "see" and then "hope" the game will be good. I need to care about world and lore as well. Half the games in that list I can instantly throw into the "Not a chance in hell" category. Few still would I even consider trying.

You stay sassy!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tamanous

2015 and beyond also have very interesting prospects:

Pathfinder

won't see Pathfinder until 2016 at earliest

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pj2m?How-Long-Will-Early-Enrollment-Last-Before

CEO, Goblinworks, Ryan Avatar
    Our current plan is that we'll begin Early Enrollment in Q3 of 2014, and Open Enrollment in Q1 of 2016.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by st3v3b0
    I don't see EverQuest Next making a 2014 release especially with Landmark being delayed until 2014.

The focus for SOE seems to be EQ:NL at the moment.  It will probably get into Alpha and Beta testing before the end of 2014, but the actual released product is still an iffy circumstance for 2014.  Since I'm not about to pay for testing SoE's game, I'm expecting a late 2014 date to get a hands on for this game, with the possibility for slippage into 2015.

EQ:N definitely seems to be a project in the works.  I am guessing that it will build off a lot of the EQ:NL framework, so it doesn't really seem realistic to expect a released product before late 2015.  Although I'm now convinced it will be mid-to-late 2016 for the game to go live (not including alpha/beta testing, which, again, I am not going to pay for).

Most of the other titles in the OP's list appear to offer nothing groundbreaking to the genre, and unless I get curious, there's a strong chance I won't devote much time (and precious little money) to any of the 2014 releases.  There's not even a guarantee that either EQ:N or EQ:NL will offer anything innovative or groundbreaking, whenever they declare themselves ready to begin.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Nadia

i think 2003 was the best year

Eve Online

Horizons (now called Istaria)

Lineage II

Second Life

Shadowbane

Star Wars Galaxies

Agreed! 

Although I thought some of those were 2004.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Sorry but I saw pretty much the same post for 2013.  And 2012.  And(you get the idea).
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

What is the likelihood we'll see these two threads next year:

Was 2014 the Worst MMO Year in History?

Did any MMOs launch in 2014?

Anyway, there are some cool games on that list. The best year? I'm skeptical.

You missed

Is 2015 'the' most exiting year for the MMO genre?