Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky: Looks like Star Citizen and Elite just got a new contender

2»

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Made by four people.  Given that, Star Citizen with its millions of dollars in handouts pales in comparison to what just four people are able to accomplish.

Game has an incredible scale and is extremely ambitious with features and mutliplayer.

I'd love to see what they could accomplish if they had the size of dev team or budget Star Citizen has, but even without it it was the big surprise hit of VGX.

No begging and handouts required.  Just staggering creativity and hard work.

It's more in competition with Elite Dangerous than Star Citizen. Star Citizen doesn't use procedural content, it's all handcrafted and actually two games.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Ruien

Not even close to Star citizen or even elite for that matter. The flight looked really really bad with graphics from 2000 era. The weapon fire was so bad I cringed and it tracked from the edge of the rock but only blew a ship size hole right in the middle?

Naw not even in the same ball park as SC or elite.

Uh Huh...ok

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Doesnt come even close to SC

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Ruien

Not even close to Star citizen or even elite for that matter. The flight looked really really bad with graphics from 2000 era. The weapon fire was so bad I cringed and it tracked from the edge of the rock but only blew a ship size hole right in the middle?

Naw not even in the same ball park as SC or elite.

Uh Huh...ok

Nope he is right. Not in the same ball park. But that is a good thing. This one seems to be in a ball park all of its own. This glimpse has gained my attention. Lets see where they actually go with this...

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Without any link to the game development site it's no more than a CGI movie.  Pity -  I'd like to play a game like that.

CGI movie? It's 100% gameplay, it's obvious if you take a look at the video.

Note the very important "without a link" part of my post.  With no site of its own to go to, no dev blog and no publicity from the actual developer it's effectively just a movie.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Well the trailer looked pretty neat. I'll be interested to see how they end up. In terms of Star Citizen comparisons, It's tough to compare products that haven't even been released yet. I hope that Star Citizen will be great too.... however until you have fully developed and released products. It's all nothing more then promises now.
  • f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

While we're getting excited about trailers let's get excited about this game, been in development since 03-04?

Another sci-fi game that promised/promises a lot and uses a inhouse developed engine.  Other people, including myself will see a lot of similarities here, almost an exact copy of what has been promised here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_(MMOG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a69dMLb_k#t=1

https://inovaestudios.com/

Meh, I'll keep my eye on it but I wont get too excited.  As of late the word  indie, has become synonymous with "Mobile" and "Console".  Those things are what keeps me apprehensive about sharing in the enthusiasm. 

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169

Looks interesting, but somehow I'm doubting that 4 people are going to be able to produce a product close to level of fidelity and immersion of something like Star Citizen, which is taking significant time even with a staff of over 200 people and growing.

People see this trailer and get hyped without realizing that these guys have no money and no staff.  I'm rooting for them and I hope they can find the funding and the talent to make their project a reality. But it isn't so yet and it will not come to fruition anytime soon without those two components. Definitely not going to get hyped for something like this until things get ramped up big time and we see a clear direction for the game.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It's interesting. I am certainly watching it. The trailer leaves a lot of details I want vague. If they prove good I might get hyped.  That's a lot of sci fi goodness on the horizon.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    The announcement trailer certainly peaked my interest but I for one will wait to see what the game mechanics are like outside of moving around the universe and what the games actual goals are before trying to even compare it to Star Citizen and Elite let alone call ti competition.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I saw this and the Rust game today and was happy to see them both.  Seems like I'm in an endless waiting pattern for fun games that never arrive, though.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Aaaaaaand... they lost me.  It's basically a single player game with some sense of shared information (significant events) between you and other players.

I feel the same way about this as I do Planet Explorers.  I don't want to play these games alone, I want to share it with other people; the good, bad and ugly.   I know a lot of people are content playing alone, but I am not one of them.  It's one of the main reason I can't get into the single player focused MMORPG's these days.

Bummer.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Without any link to the game development site it's no more than a CGI movie.  Pity -  I'd like to play a game like that.

Note the very important "without a link" part of my post.  With no site of its own to go to, no dev blog and no publicity from the actual developer it's effectively just a movie.

Today I learned that only developers with a blog, publicity, and a website can create games.  Anyone else who tries can only make movies.

Meanwhile, in reality, none of those things actually affect this product's development.  Four people making a game on this scale probably doesn't leave much time for twitter jockeying and handout inducing blogs a la star citizen.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by f1seb

While we're getting excited about trailers let's get excited about this game, been in development since 03-04?

Another sci-fi game that promised/promises a lot and uses a inhouse developed engine.  Other people, including myself will see a lot of similarities here, almost an exact copy of what has been promised here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_(MMOG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a69dMLb_k#t=1

https://inovaestudios.com/

Meh, I'll keep my eye on it but I wont get too excited.  As of late the word  indie, has become synonymous with "Mobile" and "Console".  Those things are what keeps me apprehensive about sharing in the enthusiasm. 

Miner wars is also meant to have an mmo version 'coming soon' aswell.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Looks O.K., but as others have said no info even on if it's an mmo or indeed a pc release so how can you say star citizen or elite have new competition?

Today I learned that only developers with a blog, publicity, and a website can create games.  Anyone else who tries can only make movies.

Meanwhile, in reality, none of those things actually affect this product's development.  Four people making a game on this scale probably doesn't leave much time for twitter jockeying and handout inducing blogs a la star citizen.

4 people with no money making a game of this scale doesn't leave much of anything for making a game of this scale.

It isn't worth defending until it demonstrates that it has (at the bare minimum) the money and staff necessary to make the vision a reality. It's a great vision though.

Originally posted by salaciouscrumbs

4 people with no money making a game of this scale doesn't leave much of anything for making a game of this scale.

It isn't worth defending until it demonstrates that it has (at the bare minimum) the money and staff necessary to make the vision a reality. It's a great vision though.

Do you understand what procedural generation does for games like this?  

• C_GlassC_Glass Member CommonPosts: 29

Looks nice, but the fanboyism in this thread is strong, seriously folks, if you like Star Citizen that much YOU WANT competition, as nothing drives innovation quite like competition. 

Competition is good, fanboyism is not, the industry could use many more ambitious space sims to push the genre forward.  

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm very sorry to break this news (not being sarcastic, seriously), but I've been following procedural generation technology for years. Years. Tons of independent games and engines have claimed that they will be the next big thing with this technology. Shit-loads. And guess what happens? Sadly nothing. Absolutely nothing happens with the technology. Why? Because these "developers" (who actually are not developers of anything in their lives) are living in a pipe dream that they believe they can make a game with their best friend from high-school, no money and no experience in the 21st century that isn't a 2D side-scroller. It just isn't reality.

The only independent game that has used this technology successfully is minecraft. And look how long it's taken to develop that game (it's still going) and how freaking simple it is. People on this forum are so desirous of new, wonderful games (as am I) that they constantly delude themselves into thinking things like this are possible out of thin air. Nevermind back end. Nevermind networking. Nevermind coding that which can't be procedurally generated. Nevermind interfaces. Nevermind phyiscs. Nevermind bugs.

For comparison, Star Citizen probably has a team of 4 people just to jerk off Chris Roberts in his office while he hires new employees for his game. Literally, just sit there and jerk him off. Money and staff is the next big step for No Man's Sky. Until they show something in that regard I won't dare to get hyped.

Doesn't mean I don't like the vision, I'm just learned in not drooling at the mouth at every pretty thing that flits through my field of view.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm very sorry to break this news (not being sarcastic, seriously), but I've been following procedural generation technology for years. Years. Tons of independent games and engines have claimed that they will be the next big thing with this technology. Shit-loads. And guess what happens? Sadly nothing. Absolutely nothing happens with the technology. Why? Because these "developers" (who actually are not developers of anything in their lives) are living in a pipe dream that they believe they can make a game with their best friend from high-school, no money and no experience in the 21st century that isn't a 2D side-scroller. It just isn't reality.

The only independent game that has used this technology successfully is minecraft. And look how long it's taken to develop that game (it's still going) and how freaking simple it is. People on this forum are so desirous of new, wonderful games (as am I) that they constantly delude themselves into thinking things like this are possible out of thin air. Nevermind back end. Nevermind networking. Nevermind coding that which can't be procedurally generated. Nevermind interfaces. Nevermind phyiscs. Nevermind bugs.

For comparison, Star Citizen probably has a team of 4 people just to jerk off Chris Roberts in his office while he hires new employees for his game. Literally, just sit there and jerk him off. Money and staff is the next big step for No Man's Sky. Until they show something in that regard I won't dare to get hyped.

Doesn't mean I don't like the vision, I'm just learned in not drooling at the mouth at every pretty thing that flits through my field of view.

Don't be sorry.  I ran out and told the world, when you broke the news to me...

My point was that procedural generation means they don't need a staff of artists spending 2+ years hand painting everything.  While I do share some of your skepticism, I think it's a little premature to assume a small company, of even a few people, couldn't do this project.  As you say you know, procedural generation should help eliminate a lot of the art challenges most games have.

I think small teams can get a lot done.  I've been following The Repopulation team for a year or two now, and their monthly dev log is impressive.  We'll have to see how the game turns out, but they seem to be getting a lot done for a small group with very, very limited funding.