Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Getting Started for a newb?

Just kind of wondering how worthwhile getting started in wow would be.  Will I be shunned for not being uber enough?   Will I be a pariah because my gear comes from quests and random loot drops?

Comments

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    wait until new expansion and instant hit to 90. 
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    No you will be fine.  There is all walks of life as the game is vast, do some research on the server forums and find the type of group/guild you most closely can relate and join them. You lose nothing by trying the game.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I started a new account the other day because of the sale, even though ive played alot of wow so i wont be made fun of for not knowing how to play, i still think you should give it a go.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• KyogetsuKyogetsu Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Its definitely worth checking out. The game is HUGE, and there are still many people online. Check out the free trial and give it  whirl.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    It's definitely worth it. However, I will recommend you know your stuff before you play. Basic MMO knowledge is necessary unless you want to be constantly flamed. At this point, most low level characters are people that already have a max level character and if you dont know how to play your class you will piss a lot of people off.
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i bought battle chest on blackfriday and i dont really bother to use the CDkey.

infact, i'm enjoying starter edition more. just sitting, walking , chating and looking at people showing off at each other or dueling outside cities.

OP should try the starter edition and see if you like the game or not.

also in my OP, WOW is old enough and not worth $15 a month anymore. it should lower the monthly sub like $5 a month and sell cosmetic items or maybe F2P. Blizz is trying to milk the last drop from WOW lol.

or maybe they want to keep WOW until new project( titan) finish.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Yes worth it, it's really the sole remaining mmorpg. After it goes, the genre will vanish. Hopefully it wont go for another 10 years
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I used to play a lot back in the day... And I would only get it now because some friends and I were kind of setting up a nice little group and trying to decide. WoW weighed in heavy for obvious reasons. (I've upgraded my computer a lot as well from last time so that's exciting) But the only thing stopping me is knowing exactly how much everything is going to cost including the newest expansion or all of them?? Total amount of money to get started would help a lot! Thank everyone.

Edit: Forgot to answer the OP =()     I have always felt that once you get into that flow of things and find the perfect group to play with, any game can be fresh especially when playing with irl or longtime online friends!! Good luck!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    wait until new expansion and instant hit to 90. 

THIS, and join the other bitter raid addicts in their quest to burn out asap with doing dailies and raids.

OR you could make a character when YOU like it and actually have fun, you know; without others boosting you or telling you what to do.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

the way blizzard handles WOW is basically this: they dont update the game, they just sell the yearly update as an expansion

so dont touch the game until the next expansion is released, or else you will be stuck in a limbo where you will have no updates or content patches for a year and youll get bored of the game

• Originally posted by Dasterdly
    Just kind of wondering how worthwhile getting started in wow would be.  Will I be shunned for not being uber enough?   Will I be a pariah because my gear comes from quests and random loot drops?

Imagine all those internet idiots that you see insulting people saying "lol newb go die lol rofl" you know the ones I mean.

Now imagine each one of those scum bags has a 3d avatar to play around with and multiply that number by the amount of subscriptions that wow has then you will have an idea of your future experience in wow.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

WoW IS still the best MMO out there, nothing even comes close to WoW.  People are talking ESO and Wildstar and yet did the same talk with Age of Conan, TERA, Rift, The Secret World, GW2, SWTOR,  and countless others.  And yet WoW is still to dominate MMO, yeah it has less subs but that's only because the market is much wider now.  Unlike most MMOs, WoW adapts to the times and is continuously evolving.

As for being a newb, just find a high populated server and you'll find a lot of friendly guilds.  There are leveling guilds and all sorts of casual social ones.  Really only few are uber, most are mediocere players at best.  If you are willing to improve, research your class then you are ahead of the game.  Find a guild that will show you the ropes and once your comfortable move on to a guild that fits your taste.

• DasterdlyDasterdly Member Posts: 30

Thanks for the input and advice.  I think I will spin it up and check it out.  

Now... for the hard part - faction, race, and class >=)

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

WoW is the MMO equivalent of training wheels, it's where most MMO players either get their start or at least solidify their interest in the genre.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Dasterdly

Thanks for the input and advice.  I think I will spin it up and check it out.  

Now... for the hard part - faction, race, and class >=)

Actually the harder part is server ;).  I would suggest taking a look at realmpop.com as a dead server can really make or break an mmo for you(or a horribly unbalanced one faction wise).  I would suggest Bleeding Hollow if you're looking to PVP at all.  And, if you want to give RP a try I hear great things about Emerald Dream.  As for a PVE server I got nothing.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by NetSage

Originally posted by Dasterdly Thanks for the input and advice.  I think I will spin it up and check it out.   Now... for the hard part - faction, race, and class >=)
    Actually the harder part is server ;).  I would suggest taking a look at realmpop.com as a dead server can really make or break an mmo for you(or a horribly unbalanced one faction wise).  I would suggest Bleeding Hollow if you're looking to PVP at all.  And, if you want to give RP a try I hear great things about Emerald Dream.  As for a PVE server I got nothing.

I've been playing on Bloodhoof for years. Around Christmas I'll be firing my account back up and logging back in. There's nothing special about the server, except there always seem to be people there, and I'll be there. :-)

The correct race is any Horde race, of course.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DasterdlyDasterdly Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by NetSage

Originally posted by Dasterdly Thanks for the input and advice.  I think I will spin it up and check it out.   Now... for the hard part - faction, race, and class >=)

I've been playing on Bloodhoof for years. Around Christmas I'll be firing my account back up and logging back in. There's nothing special about the server, except there always seem to be people there, and I'll be there. :-)

The correct race is any Horde race, of course.

Horde - Gotchya!  ;)  

Well so far, I hate Worgen.  Any Worgen.  the movements and the sniffing bother me.

• neohero0001neohero0001 Member Posts: 25

Nope,

Isn´t worth for a newb started, just coz Blizz told that don´t care for newplayers and all update focus on vets. The insta 90 says everything about their plans. A newb has to choose begin and play alone in a low -mid zone very dead or jump to lv 90 and try be good naked ( w/o great stuffs ) and be kicked from raid partys coz he don´t have idea how to play his class.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

First, find mature guild. You really don't want to play with random people in Wow. Prepare to get cursed, sweared and kicked from dungeons... A lot. Avoid asking questions at daytime in your faction chat channels, 99% you won't get answers, but got called noob or <insert name>, cause every Wow player was born with knowledge about game. 

About gear, do not worry, you'll get gear faster than you think, but I suggest you to not choose quick path, go little bit progressive. 

• arazio70arazio70 Member UncommonPosts: 10

i must be going backwards in mmos cause im actually enjoying wow . out of all mmos out there ive never played

being this a first time run through its enjoyable so far

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by neohero0001

Nope,

Isn´t worth for a newb started, just coz Blizz told that don´t care for newplayers and all update focus on vets. The insta 90 says everything about their plans. A newb has to choose begin and play alone in a low -mid zone very dead or jump to lv 90 and try be good naked ( w/o great stuffs ) and be kicked from raid partys coz he don´t have idea how to play his class.

So not true. Blizzard has plenty of things that help new players. They have guides and such u can easily read on there forums, They have cross realm zones so when u are in low level zones u aren't alone. the instant 90 is just one character per account, not every character. And that is aimed at returning players who haven't played in a bit who want to catch up with freinds. 

The truth is wow is fun has alot of players who are helpful but like any game with 7 million players there are a bunch of jerks. pick a pve server unless u want to get ganked regularly while leveling. With recruit a freind , the double xp helps level fast and u can level in dungeons from level 15 up with lfg and learn your class that way. The instant 90 doesn't happen till wod either and that isn't out yet so if u start now any concerns about no one in low level zones wouldn't be a problem i happen to level alts alot and the zones i play in always have a bunch of other players. 

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

OP - WoW is definitely worth it, newbie or not.

I'm an 8 year player and sitting here having a hard time not re-subbing and leveling to 90... Might just do a starter edition for shits and giggles to calm my WoW urge.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by arazio70

i must be going backwards in mmos cause im actually enjoying wow . out of all mmos out there ive never played

being this a first time run through its enjoyable so far

WoW's still a great way to go, if you are choosing from what is available today.  Most themepark MMO's on the market now may look a bit nicer, but don't have nearly the content, polish, customer service, or active development.

People keep talking about WoW "dying", but even if they got ALL-THE-WAY-DOWN to only a couple full severs worth of players, they would still be more active than most of the AAA games on the market...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by neohero0001

Nope,

This is patently false. Through Cross Realm Zones and the Connected Realms it's rare to NOT see other people out while leveling in the various zones. I just leveled up a new toon and was running into people all over the place.

Secondly, the instant 90 is once per account with the launch of WoD. The instant level 90 will go through a quest series that acts as a tutorial, possibly much like the Death Knight starting area where you gradually receive your skills/Talents over a short period of time. You'll also receive a set of gear appropriate for the class/spec of your choosing. Since WoD has an end cap of level 100 the person will have plenty of time to learn how to play their class.

Additionally, the other advice from many people in this thread is golden, OP. Do some research, find a nice a guild and get into an active server. Not all realms are connected, so there are some dead ones.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I too am a WOW newb. I purchased it and the MOP expansion at 75% off recently and only because of the sale. I rolled Panda because I'm lost on the lore of other races and I find Pandas like me are new in WOW. So far it's OK but I'm only lvl 10.