Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does TESO have such a split reaction?

Comments

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by crasset15
    Originally posted by Kicksave321

They are essentially watering it down and taking as many shortcuts as possible in the gameplay department, because all their resources are being used on making the themepark rides attractive. If you ignore the themepark rides, the world is just an empty shell with nothing to do in it.

I can already predict the lack of content complaints 2 months after release, because there isn't much in this game besides the themepark rides. If there was something, they would have promoed it. So expect to have a choice between forum whining, running the same dungeons over and over, and pvping in cyrodiil, because that's all they are launching with, plus the themepark content to level 50.

And you know this from getting to level 17 in the last BETA?  Or are you just giving us your uneducated opinion on a game you know nothing about and copy/pasting other taking points with no specifics just generic talking points that have ZERO facts or proof to back them up.

My opinion is very educated actually, I've been following every bit of news about this game. Also, it's called common sense. You don't need facts and proof to predict the overall direction and focus of this game and its developers. If you do, I feel sorry for you.

Exactly it's your opinion I find to bias based on the number of times you mentioned "themepark" in a negative way.  This is not the "sandbox" you wanted so now you think you are educated on a game you have no intention on liking.  So coming to forum and posting generic taking points is common sense to you, and since your educated I would think you would have endless amount of information to back up your generic talking points.  Instead you get all defensive and try to be derogatory towards me.  Yeah nice try,  we'll guess you should just move on to a new game that fits your needs better good luck.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

They are essentially watering it down and taking as many shortcuts as possible in the gameplay department, because all their resources are being used on making the themepark rides attractive. If you ignore the themepark rides, the world is just an empty shell with nothing to do in it.

I can already predict the lack of content complaints 2 months after release, because there isn't much in this game besides the themepark rides. If there was something, they would have promoed it. So expect to have a choice between forum whining, running the same dungeons over and over, and pvping in cyrodiil, because that's all they are launching with, plus the themepark content to level 50.

And you know this from getting to level 17 in the last BETA?  Or are you just giving us your uneducated opinion on a game you know nothing about and copy/pasting other taking points with no specifics just generic talking points that have ZERO facts or proof to back them up.

My opinion is very educated actually, I've been following every bit of news about this game. Also, it's called common sense. You don't need facts and proof to predict the overall direction and focus of this game and its developers. If you do, I feel sorry for you.

Exactly it's your opinion I find to bias based on the number of times you mentioned "themepark" in a negative way.  This is not the "sandbox" you wanted so now you think you are educated on a game you have no intention on liking.  So coming to forum and posting generic taking points is common sense to you, and since your educated I would think you would have endless amount of information to back up your generic talking points.  Instead you get all defensive and try to be derogatory towards me.  Yeah nice try,  we'll guess you should just move on to a new game that fits your needs better good luck.

Actually I have nothing against themepark content. It becomes a problem when developers completely ignore all other aspects of the game and put all their focus on this one thing. You seem to be far more defensive than I am, and your claims of me 'knowing nothing about the game' are even more extreme than any assumptions I made. But as you said, this is just an opinion, and maybe you can accept the fact that someone has a different opinion than you, or that someone sees your beloved game in a negative light.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I've only now started looking into the game, and have noticed something interesting on different forums and even Youtube videos. It seems that there is quite a divide between those who like how the game looks and those who don't. I'm wondering if anyone has a reason why?

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans? Does the game have some feature people don't like that I'm not aware of? So far, it looks quite interesting. I can understand the issue some people have with graphics, since TES tends to have realistic graphics for the time it's released - but for an MMO, it's generally understood graphics need to be scaled back due to the gargantuan size of the world and amount of people playing.

Anyone have any idea?

Simple its direction. This used to be to for a long time the #1 MMO in development here on mmorpg.com. As they laid out the plans for the game the more people stopped following it or caring. For the most part they dont seem to know what type of MMO they want to make. One min its a DAoC model that has a TES feel and the next its something else. Its a MMO, next its not really a MMO and it is a MMO again but with a lot of focus on solo play. So much flip flopping that its hard to be a fan of the game. Then the real kicker, box price + sub + micro-transaction with no word on how the plan to make that a fair model. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans?

yes

And those on the mmo side are concerned that it will be just another WoW clone.

I am both a TES fan and MMORPG fan.

Looking forward to TESO.

Then you wouldn't be part of "the division".

There is definitely unrest about this title. Between elder scrolls fans and mmo fans and as the other poster pointed out, those who are mmo players who don't want "same old same old" or are looking for something that takes what they thought was good about earlier games and brings it into today's gaming expectations.

I would say I'm an Elder Scrolls fan who is in love with the idea of mmo's but for me, sadly, they really weren't what I thought they would be though I do see a lot of great qualities in them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Actually I have nothing against themepark content. It becomes a problem when developers completely ignore all other aspects of the game and put all their focus on this one thing. You seem to be far more defensive than I am, and your claims of me 'knowing nothing about the game' are even more extreme than any assumptions I made. But as you said, this is just an opinion, and maybe you can accept the fact that someone has a different opinion than you, or that someone sees your beloved game in a negative light.

Yep it's just my opinion as you have your own.  I don't look at it as my beloved game either I just asked for some more information on your generic theme park talking points.  Then you got all defensive .  According to other post on this site in particular most complain there isn't enough info out about the game, but yet you make it sound like there is an tons of information to make your genetic statements stick to this game without actually give any specifics.  From what I've seen and you could say 1st hand experience I like where the game is and or going.  Hey hate or post negative stuff all you want.  Just don't get all defensive when asked for a little more detail on your generic talking points.  You never know it could have been something I was not aware of. 

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

As with every game that is under an NDA ,  I can't wait until it drops. This game won't be the holy grail, but the sheer amount of misinformation in this thread only serves to highlight why NDA's are completely antiquated. The game feels like ES, albeit a mmorpg version, the only real point  that can be contested currently is that the game is another hub jumping themepark. There is enough released information, interviews, and video's out there to show that while there are "quests" there is plenty of free roam to be had. Without this exploration you won't find the goodies, the additional camps and quests, nothing guides you to them otherwise. Best advise ... get a beta key and go exploring.

Originally posted by Redemp

As with every game that is under an NDA ,  I can't wait until it drops. This game won't be the holy grail, but the sheer amount of misinformation in this thread only serves to highlight why NDA's are completely antiquated. The game feels like ES, albeit a mmorpg version, the only real point  that can be contested currently is that the game is another hub jumping themepark. There is enough released information, interviews, and video's out there to show that while there are "quests" there is plenty of free roam to be had. Without this exploration you won't find the goodies, the additional camps and quests, nothing guides you to them otherwise. Best advise ... get a beta key and go exploring.

Well, that's the problem with NDA because I bet dollars to donuts that there are people who would like to argue some of the points you made but can't.

Essentially, what youv'e done is draw a line in the sand, made definitive comments but no one can make a rebut without breaking the NDA.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Well, that's the problem with NDA because I bet dollars to donuts that there are people who would like to argue some of the points you made but can't.

Essentially, what youv'e done is draw a line in the sand, made definitive comments but no one can make a rebut without breaking the NDA.

I dont know man i played the beta and without breaking the NDA i kinda agree with him. Its def a themepark with hubs but is exploring also and pretty fun stuff to get into. I think people who want skyrim want a modded skyrim that players created over the last couple of years not the skyrim that released before the toolkit because I see not much difference in both of these games other than the open world is huge in skyrim. Game play is about the same but with a multiplayer balance. People saying this is SWTOR all over again are just jaded and angry and if you been on these forums for years you know its the exact same people whining about every single game that releases over and over and over again year after year.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I wonder how long time it will take for five million nice people who are used to having fun and enjoying their games to turn in to hatefull MMO-players ;)
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    It's because people who have no idea what can or can not be technically done just want "skyrim online" without actually understanding what that means.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by cronius77

I dont know man i played the beta and without breaking the NDA i kinda agree with him. Its def a themepark with hubs but is exploring also and pretty fun stuff to get into. I think people who want skyrim want a modded skyrim that players created over the last couple of years not the skyrim that released before the toolkit because I see not much difference in both of these games other than the open world is huge in skyrim. Game play is about the same but with a multiplayer balance. People saying this is SWTOR all over again are just jaded and angry and if you been on these forums for years you know its the exact same people whining about every single game that releases over and over and over again year after year.

I played the beta as well (now we are all going to hell image) but I  can't argue, clarify or expand upon points. I'm not saying that I would agree or disagree but I don't feel his statment paints an accurate picture, good or bad.

• CeallachCeallach Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I've only now started looking into the game, and have noticed something interesting on different forums and even Youtube videos. It seems that there is quite a divide between those who like how the game looks and those who don't. I'm wondering if anyone has a reason why?

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans? Does the game have some feature people don't like that I'm not aware of? So far, it looks quite interesting. I can understand the issue some people have with graphics, since TES tends to have realistic graphics for the time it's released - but for an MMO, it's generally understood graphics need to be scaled back due to the gargantuan size of the world and amount of people playing.

Anyone have any idea?

I feel that it is TES players and MMO players; The game is nothing like older TES games mechanically, and its kind of a turn off. The only thing similar are some of the races; If it was truely skill-based, it might be more intriguing, but you are limited to one of four classes with like 3 skills to it; Not to mention it looks like another WoW clone anyways.

But the world is smaller, apparently skyrim and cyrrodil and morrowind all shrunk in 1000 years, dem earthquakes i guess. Or grew? The lore for ESO is a mess i cant tell if its 1000 years ago or 1000 years in the future. But obviously not a single producer from previous TES games had any input. Zenimax must have blackmailed them into giving them the rights. 

but i've only tried beta, so what do i know?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by cronius77

I played the beta as well (now we are all going to hell image) but I  can't argue, clarify or expand upon points. I'm not saying that I would agree or disagree but I don't feel his statment paints an accurate picture, good or bad.

My statement was only to illuminate the tossed about theory that the games a generic quest hub themepark, which it's not. Can you play the game that way? Based on the released information, I'd wager you can. Is that the only way to play the game, again based on the released information absolutely not. From what I've seen the game holds many different aspects of other games, in regards to progression, the only tidbit I still want an answer on ( from the developers) is if they are going to fully flesh out grind camps. Currently there are grind camps, small and sporadic , at least interviews and videos suggest there are. There is currently enough released information for the game to be discussed, besides high level content that is.

Edit * - What we really need is someone with the time to compile all released information for the game, that would do worlds to clear up confusion and what's off-limits to discuss.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This game will be a joke to true Elderscrolls lore. And like someone else said, It will never compare with Morrowind or Skyrim with all my mods for those games and i won't be asked to pay monthly for another generic fantasy mmo.
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

I am a TES fan and an MMO fan.

The reason TESO doesn't excite me is simple. Their design decisions have sucked and throughout the public development cycle they have shown how poor their design actually is.

To start with, why faction lock races? I know the argument about DAOC having great PvP because of the faction locks by why the need to race lock? It can't be to make sure everyone can tell who their enemy is. After all not all the Elves are in the same faction and with the ability to craft non faction armour you can look like someone from another faction. Even if they turn off non faction armour in PvP it still doesn't really explain the need to faction lock races.

If they really wanted to have a TES MMO then why not have faction choice part of the game. And once you choose your faction you are locked into your faction lands just as it is in their current design. To me it is just too obvious that they decided to make DAOC 2 with a TES skin and hope for the best. IMO they failed to design anything and just made bad, lazy choices.

And their bad choices were made on MAJOR features of the game that they made increasingly difficult to change. Once on the road they have continued to make bad design choice after bad design choice.

What the seems to be now is a generic, average MMO with nothing new or exciting, combined with badly design TES tie ins. It has taken the worst part of each side of the coin and run with it.

That said, it might still be an ok game, but it isn't going to be an amazing MMO or an amazing online TES game.

Bottom line...copy and pasting a design formula without adding anything new is just lazy design and that is why the game is imo nothing worth getting out of bed for.

Originally posted by Hariken
    This game will be a joke to true Elderscrolls lore. And like someone else said, It will never compare with Morrowind or Skyrim with all my mods for those games and i won't be asked to pay monthly for another generic fantasy mmo.

Want to hear another joke. I person doesn't like Video game X this person doesn't think it will be very good.  This person post about a game he doesn't like or plan to play.  Haha funny joke isn't it.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by asmkm22
    It's because people who have no idea what can or can not be technically done just want "skyrim online" without actually understanding what that means.
    Yeah, the armchair quarterbacking in this thread is splendid.

The division isnt between MMO players and Elder Scrolls fans. Its more basic than that.

The division is between themepark players and sandbox players, with most of the contention from sandbox players.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    A friend of mine is one of the biggest Elder Scrolls fans I know of, and he is on the fence about ESO. He was in the weekend beta, and doesn't think ESO feels like Elder Scrolls. 
    Originally posted by Brynn
    A friend of mine is one of the biggest Elder Scrolls fans I know of, and he is on the fence about ESO. He was in the weekend beta, and doesn't think ESO feels like Elder Scrolls. 

Since it was your friend how about some specifics, I was in with about ten of my friends and we all thought it was good and did feel like eso.  

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Brynn

That's funny because a friend of mine's 2nd cousin's sister-in-law  is in beta all the time and she says it feels just like an ES game...go figure, eh!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Xiaoki

The division isnt between MMO players and Elder Scrolls fans. Its more basic than that.

The division is between themepark players and sandbox players, with most of the contention from sandbox players.

So, there were never ever thread after thread after thread; on this site or other sites, with people arguing about how ESO was adopting a more DAoC approach and not incorporating the elder Scrolls aspects of exploration. People fighting over whether ESO shold be more mmo or should be "skyrim online" (or Morrowind online image )?

If it was just sandbox vs themepark the authenticity of an elder scrolls experience would not have been at the heart of those discussions.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

So, there were never ever thread after thread after thread; on this site or other sites, with people arguing about how ESO was adopting a more DAoC approach and not incorporating the elder Scrolls aspects of exploration. People fighting over whether ESO shold be more mmo or should be "skyrim online" (or Morrowind online image )?

If it was just sandbox vs themepark the authenticity of an elder scrolls experience would not have been at the heart of those discussions.

The TES comparison is simply the easiest aspect to attack the game on, hence why it's the go to argument around here. Everyone knows it's not going to be an exact interpretation of an ES game. They know features are going to be left out in favor of typical MMO mechanics, played it or not. A TES feel is a highly subjective argument one that will continue long past this games launch. Neither side will change their tune.

Personally I'm far more worried about what the game ends up being in it's own right, rather than compare it with games that are their own beast.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

For me it's that the game is functionally nothing of what I really desire out of a 'multiplayer' elder scrolls title.

People refer to the combat and play feeling like Skyrim, and I have a bit of contention with that as well.

Superficially yes it does mirror the previous Elder Scrolls titles. First/third person combat with mouse controlling basic attacks and a blocking mechanic. That's about as far as it goes though really. The problem becomes how the combat flows, feels, and is tuned.

For example, Chivalry, War of the Roses, and Mount & Blade are all games that technically live alongside one another in mechanics, yet their ultimate details differentiate them somewhat dramatically when you get to 'how' you're hitting another person.

From the draw of a bow to the swing of a sword, these things have plenty of details that can change the way it feels. This affects also how functional and comfortable many things are.

Like if you part out the knocking of a bow, it creates a lag time before you can even draw to fire. Sometimes this adds to immersion, sometimes it cripples a weapon that may very well have other penalties already, such as commonly having reduced damage.

The way they handle the races and factions, the continued use of an isolated character narrative within a world supposedly populated by many, the reduction of all the effort Bethesda puts into making the worlds more 'alive' for the sake of traditional mmorpg progression, mechanics, and play. And indeed, the ability to introduce my own customization and modifications to the world, be it within a finite or great scope.

It's many little things that simply don't sit well with me, that ultimately don't let me define this game as part of the elder scrolls series so much as it's simply wearing it's skin.

Also though, why I don't tend to post about this stuff. Or much of anything else. Because the moment toy reach past the mechanical details to how an individual person feels about something, the conversation becomes a back and forth about feelings and not the actual title in question.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

You're entitled to your opinion, but your statements are incorrect.

No bitchers.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Given the game isn't even out, I guess there are three possible reason:

(1) Skyrim set the bar very high. It was/is a VERY popular and successfull game, I'd even say one of the most influental games of many years. Just see how many people make fanstuff, videos, music, painting and whatnot about it. So most people feel compared to the very high standard of Skyrim a "normal" MMO can just be a setback.

(2) After years and years playing the same old MMO types, so far Elder Scrolls plays too safe, or so it seems. There is little really new or changed, but the n-th manifestation  of the EQ/WoW formula.

(3) After so many flops or half-flops MMO gamers are understandably skeptical now.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert