Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do NOT bother. Pay to win.

XhyronXhyron Member UncommonPosts: 40

I have played this game for over 340 hours and can attest with utmost certainty to one critical aspect of the game:

It is COMPLETELY pay to win.  The more you pay, the more skill your plane crews will have, thus increasing your reload, accuracy, g-tolerance, etc.  If you do not plan on buying the starter pack and spending at minimum another 50 dollars(I spent upwards of 100 and am now bored with the game) on top of it, this game is NOT for you.  This is not by ANY means a free to play game, unless you enjoy being fodder until you spend a significant chunk of money.

Not only that, the games match making system SUCKS.  You will get Korean war era jets put in against your late WW2 propeller driven fighters.  Some nations planes, such as the good ol' U S of A, are SO bad, you will regret ever playing with them if you get past level 7(85% of the players in the level 8 to 12 bracket are German planes with 20mm gun pods, which rip you out of the sky in about a half a second).

This game is also run by a Russian developer that has a GM staff of 18 year old kids from around the globe running its critical operations.  Do not expect any issue you have with the game to be solved in any matter, as they are worse than useless.

Once again, heed my advice and do not make the same mistake I did.  SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Comments

• anghangh Member UncommonPosts: 10

It is not p2w at all. I have lev 47 and some of my crew is almost maxed out without paying a single penny (I got a premium account though just because I don't mind supporting this game). Reload takes some time to mas out buy out is not so critical skill, and totally doesn't matter in HB battles. Accuracy is cheap, g-force resistance is useless. Any pilot enhancements aren't better than your skills and even fully trained crew wont help you much.

I have no problem with matchmaking, I'm enjoying myself killing t9 plane with t3 fighter. US planes are considered OP due to great speed and firepower - perfect boom and zoom fighters. Airacobras are available early and offer a 37 mm gun which kills almost everything with one shot. I have Germans at lev 10 and for me their planes are unplayable - that means it is your playing style and preferences which makes a plane good or bad. I still love the fun to get to tier 3 planes and just enjoying slow, low firepower fighters. And if you really can't stand a jet (which happens really rarely in t15) new patch (which already is live on P4 and will come to PC shortly) will sort this thing out.

And it it normal you have issues, this is a beta. Released to public a year ago, and already plays and looks very nice. The issues are addressed, the company is growing and starts to create a PR team and proper support, it will take some time - World of Tanks is already 6 years on market, I was playing it from alpha and just recently, for about 2 years now their support is any good.

Just enjoy the game, not the numbers or pilots' levels. It won't help you much if you can't fly. And all the pilot skills you getting by playing the game, cash will make it just faster, like in any f2p game out there, and no, it is not dealbreaking.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    doesn't the game provide matchmaking?   so those that pay will play against one another,  and the freeloaders would play against one another.  also,  how much does it cost to win the game?
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Got to say, this is not my experience of the game at all.  Have had no problem compeating with anybody. Wouldn't say I am the greatest pilot or anything but I'm not bad. Would have to say that compared to World Of Tanks match making system this one is very good. Occasionally I find myself in some harshly tierd battles to be fair but would say that's the exception rather than the rule. As for maxing out statistics if you have logged that many hours to get to the top tiers you odviously enjoy the game. Get a premium account and give something back to the devs rather than expecting everything for nothing like a petulant little baby.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

IF you

think WT is pay to win

then

WoWP is doubly so.  You should avoid playing that game too. 

Happy holidays WT fanbois from the WoWP fanbois. *waves*

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    [mod edit]

Any way..

Q: Will you have more fun if you pay for premium or planes?

A: Depends, if you are good at arcade fliers or flight sims and happen to like the planes you can buy for money. Yes you will have more fun quicker. But if your skills are low to average you will just end up swiss-cheese due to the ranking system and how it works.

Q: Will buying fast track make me a ace and a wonder.

A: No... It will not. Sure it will help a bit against even skilled players but what your play style is and what plane you are flying is way way more important. Having people who you can trust is even more important.. In fact.. Nerf friends they are OP.

Q: So what is actually P2W with this game

A: I guess some people argue that the gunner skills on bombers and other multi-seat planes is a bit OP if you max it out right away as it makes them more accurate and thus actually might hit a plane every now and then on their own. Beyond that you mostly pay for quicker advancement, something that is not always good as you can advance beyond your own skill level.

Q: But are you not a WT fanboy trying to make your game look better then my loved bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping-along-dreaming-of-actually-being-a-real-arcade-flier-one-day.

A: Ofc, but the matter of the fact is that i am playing WT and i am having fun without putting in one single SEK. So it comes down to what you see as P2W.

This have been a good conversation

• XhyronXhyron Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by angh

It is not p2w at all. I have lev 47 and some of my crew is almost maxed out without paying a single penny (I got a premium account though just because I don't mind supporting this game).

Nothing on your account will ever be 'maxed' out as Ace certifications for planes cost real money.  End of story.  I could absolutely care less how many higher level noobs ya took out in your A6M2-N pontoon Zero or Boomerang MKI or MKII.  Any plane with 2 or more 20mm cannons can shoot down ANY tier of plane.  Ask the mid rank tards who get slapped around by a Ki-43 with 500 rounds of 12mm ammo.

Once again, Korean war era jets SHOULD NOT BE IN A GAME WITH WORLD WAR TWO FIGHTERS.  Funny how you conveniently ignored that.

Originally posted by muffins89
    doesn't the game provide matchmaking?   so those that pay will play against one another,  and the freeloaders would play against one another.  also,  how much does it cost to win the game?

No.  The games matchmaking system is a complete joke, similar to the staff that runs it.  The WT forum is for praising of the game or be silenced.  In Soviet Russia, plane flies you.

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

This game is awesome. If OP played over 300 hours and just now came to some realization about this game being p2w, it seems a bit odd.

EDIT: OP, why don't you provide some specific evidence to support your accusation so that intelligent readers can decide for themselves based on fact rather than ALL CAPS.  That would lend support to your argument.

GIANT WALL OF TEXT

Yeah, 300 hours of thoroughly playing the game will tens of hours in all types of offered planes and all nations with the exception of Russia. I leveled to 12+ with a max out of 17 on Japan.  The game could be 'awesome' if they didn't ignore the multitude of problems with it, balance issues and the inability of the staff to run the game properly.

I do not feel like writing a novel this evening, so ask me specifically about a gameplay mechanic, plane, nation, etc. if you want evidence of something and I will provide it.

[mod edit]
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Xhyron

I have played this game for over 340 hours and can attest with utmost certainty to one critical aspect of the game:

It is COMPLETELY pay to win.  The more you pay, the more skill your plane crews will have, thus increasing your reload, accuracy, g-tolerance, etc.  If you do not plan on buying the starter pack and spending at minimum another 50 dollars(I spent upwards of 100 and am now bored with the game) on top of it, this game is NOT for you.  This is not by ANY means a free to play game, unless you enjoy being fodder until you spend a significant chunk of money.

Not only that, the games match making system SUCKS.  You will get Korean war era jets put in against your late WW2 propeller driven fighters.  Some nations planes, such as the good ol' U S of A, are SO bad, you will regret ever playing with them if you get past level 7(85% of the players in the level 8 to 12 bracket are German planes with 20mm gun pods, which rip you out of the sky in about a half a second).

This game is also run by a Russian developer that has a GM staff of 18 year old kids from around the globe running its critical operations.  Do not expect any issue you have with the game to be solved in any matter, as they are worse than useless.

Once again, heed my advice and do not make the same mistake I did.  SAVE YOUR MONEY!

My understanding is paying just increases the speed at which you level...don't pay and it just takes longer.  That's not pay 2 win at all...that's just a smart business plan.  P2W would mean if you buy something, you get something others can't get that didn't pay...now that would be bad.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by SirBalin
    Originally posted by Xhyron I have played this game for over 340 hours and can attest with utmost certainty to one critical aspect of the game: It is COMPLETELY pay to win.  The more you pay, the more skill your plane crews will have, thus increasing your reload, accuracy, g-tolerance, etc.  If you do not plan on buying the starter pack and spending at minimum another 50 dollars(I spent upwards of 100 and am now bored with the game) on top of it, this game is NOT for you.  This is not by ANY means a free to play game, unless you enjoy being fodder until you spend a significant chunk of money. Not only that, the games match making system SUCKS.  You will get Korean war era jets put in against your late WW2 propeller driven fighters.  Some nations planes, such as the good ol' U S of A, are SO bad, you will regret ever playing with them if you get past level 7(85% of the players in the level 8 to 12 bracket are German planes with 20mm gun pods, which rip you out of the sky in about a half a second). This game is also run by a Russian developer that has a GM staff of 18 year old kids from around the globe running its critical operations.  Do not expect any issue you have with the game to be solved in any matter, as they are worse than useless. Once again, heed my advice and do not make the same mistake I did.  SAVE YOUR MONEY!
    My understanding is paying just increases the speed at which you level...don't pay and it just takes longer.  That's not pay 2 win at all...that's just a smart business plan.  P2W would mean if you buy something, you get something others can't get that didn't pay...now that would be bad.

You can only get the premium planes by purchasing them with real money. The premium planes are so far ahead of the regular planes you just can't compete with them. The game is pay to win, the support is not there, and balance is a long lost hope.

I am not in love with WoWP or WoT, but they are both far better games than this heap.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• anghangh Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Premium planes are not ahead in any way except you earning a bit more using them. In fact they have usually same stats as any other planes in same tier, and are historically accurate (as far as any other planes in game, and usually are a captured or traded version of standard plane in different nation). And yes, they are fully researched, but that doesn't change a thing. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The game is absolutely NOT P2W !

I finish at number 1 on match results sometimes. Most times I'm around the middle and fairly often I come out last. It just depends on who ends up in the mix, and what they are flying in the match you are playing.

I play for fun, not to be top of the leaderboard. If you always have to be in the top 5, then these kinds of games are not for you, unless you play them in a team in some very structured way. The random nature of the matches will drive you mad if you want to play with a "plan" to beat the opposition, especially in arcade mode.

You can can unlock 5 aircraft slots per country without paying real money. The "premium" planes have the same stats as normal planes, they just get a bonus for earning XP and game currency (which is used for buying planes, repairs and ammo). There is no "gold ammo" that you can buy with real money.

Spending RL cash will make your progression faster, sure. But if you're not actually enjoying playing the game while progressing through the ranks, because "it's only fun in top-tier planes", then you're heading for disaster.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Just curious OP....If you are paying, why aren't you winning?

And I agree with you, skill would have nothing to do with winning a game like this.  

I think the Battle of Britain was pay to win too!   No way those Brits should have beat the Germans!!  They were outnumbered!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by SirBalin

Originally posted by Xhyron I have played this game for over 340 hours and can attest with utmost certainty to one critical aspect of the game: It is COMPLETELY pay to win.  The more you pay, the more skill your plane crews will have, thus increasing your reload, accuracy, g-tolerance, etc.  If you do not plan on buying the starter pack and spending at minimum another 50 dollars(I spent upwards of 100 and am now bored with the game) on top of it, this game is NOT for you.  This is not by ANY means a free to play game, unless you enjoy being fodder until you spend a significant chunk of money. Not only that, the games match making system SUCKS.  You will get Korean war era jets put in against your late WW2 propeller driven fighters.  Some nations planes, such as the good ol' U S of A, are SO bad, you will regret ever playing with them if you get past level 7(85% of the players in the level 8 to 12 bracket are German planes with 20mm gun pods, which rip you out of the sky in about a half a second). This game is also run by a Russian developer that has a GM staff of 18 year old kids from around the globe running its critical operations.  Do not expect any issue you have with the game to be solved in any matter, as they are worse than useless. Once again, heed my advice and do not make the same mistake I did.  SAVE YOUR MONEY!

You can only get the premium planes by purchasing them with real money. The premium planes are so far ahead of the regular planes you just can't compete with them. The game is pay to win, the support is not there, and balance is a long lost hope.

I am not in love with WoWP or WoT, but they are both far better games than this heap.

Premium planes are better? In what universe ?

• GeneralWulfGeneralWulf Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Just curious OP....If you are paying, why aren't you winning?

And I agree with you, skill would have nothing to do with winning a game like this.  

I think the Battle of Britain was pay to win too!   No way those Brits should have beat the Germans!!  They were outnumbered!

Churchill rolled a lot of six's,

Góring accused him of haxx  ;D

(on-topic) Sadly, the game's gone VERY far downhill with patch 1.37

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Xhyron

Its not completely pay2win...just mostly.  Most games are that way these days.

GM staff of 18 year olds that stroke their ego...I know that's true.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

forum mods are getting worse as time goes by. Players are less willing to accept the russian bias (very evident in tanks), defects, lack of response on the broken unbalanced Battle Rating system and so on. Gaijin has ignored player complaints and requests to correct the more glaring issues.

This has spilled over into the forums. Now gaijin mods routinely edit posts critical of the game, posts pointing out the issues that have gone unresolved for thje last 6+ months, issues with the BR system, issues with USSR bias in tanks. And people are now getting forum bans with no warning and no explanation.

WT is following in the footsteps of WoT - horrible customer service and no respect/regard for users and players - even those who have paid $ for premium items or premium accounts.

Originally posted by cptndunsel

forum mods are getting worse as time goes by. Players are less willing to accept the russian bias (very evident in tanks), defects, lack of response on the broken unbalanced Battle Rating system and so on. Gaijin has ignored player complaints and requests to correct the more glaring issues.

This has spilled over into the forums. Now gaijin mods routinely edit posts critical of the game, posts pointing out the issues that have gone unresolved for thje last 6+ months, issues with the BR system, issues with USSR bias in tanks. And people are now getting forum bans with no warning and no explanation.

WT is following in the footsteps of WoT - horrible customer service and no respect/regard for users and players - even those who have paid $ for premium items or premium accounts.

Not much bias... I rape people with japanese planes and as for tanks... play sim and learn that AP shells at tier 3 are sometimes leagues better than the APCR (regular AP is inferior to HEAT though), because the shells are heavier and carry more explosive charge thus wreck anything they can pen faster than APCR.

Case and point: I routinely get 3-4 kills on Ash River, Kuban and one other map who's name escapes me now using regular AP on my Hetzer... and yes that includes murdering Derp-2s, T-50s, T-34s are deliciously easy to kill (shoot just below the gun and watch him curse as you either wreck his gun or knock out his gunner, take out his driver and possibly touch off his ammo, that's from the front, from the side forward towards the gun and slightly below the turret, ammo rack everytime <3).

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

It's funny that most people who say it's not pay to win here have paid :S

OP seems to have good points and I havent seen anyone counter them yet. What aboiut the ace licenses?

If what op says is true, this is definitely pay to win, of the worst kind.

Originally posted by vgamer

It's funny that most people who say it's not pay to win here have paid :S

OP seems to have good points and I havent seen anyone counter them yet. What aboiut the ace licenses?

If what op says is true, this is definitely pay to win, of the worst kind.

Past level 400 in crew skills the difference an extra level makes tappers off drastically... FYI by what I've seen Ace stuff is about 400-450 for mid range tanks 500-600 for higher ones so a +30 in skills, even if it can never be compensated, at that level is pretty much a matter of split seconds in difference in say something like gunnery (which takes seconds at long range with decent player skill) or driving... there is a difference of course but not enough of one to stop someone with a 400ish crew and better player skill than you from making you wear your own ass as a hat.

Oh and just FYI I have both the starter tank pack and the russian advanced (beta) pack, got 5000 golden eagles unspent in my account and feel absolutely no compulsion to spend them for either premium or premium tanks (the t-34-57 prem, the pzr 3 stubby, the tds, etc, look good but are pretty much dead equals to their tier counterparts, sans component grind, and to be honest I am looking more for a midrange german td or tank with a mv or hv gun so it looks like it is gonna be a while until those eagles get touched).

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

Its very much becoming a pay-to-win game.

The grind to unlock tanks is a drag, and Gaijin makes you unlock 6 from current tier to open the next tier for research. That means wasting a lot of time grinding out research for tanks you may never intend to play. But hey - buy premium acct and premium tanks and make it go faster...

The grind to advance crew skills is SLOWER than watching paint dry. This is a killer. But hey - buy a bunch of gold and advance that crew fast...

The grind to research and upgrade modules on the tanks can be slow. But hey - that premium acct and tanks will speed it up.

There are hundreds of bugs that badly impact the game. Example - Tiger tank can't rotate its gun without the barrel getting stuck on the flippin headlamps on the fenders. So you must manually elevate the gun to get over the obstacle (which did not exist in real life). Been that way for months. Totally ignored. But hey - latest patch a few days ago added some cosmetic fixes, some new tank packs (to buy with real money) and some new premium tanks (to buy with real money).

Game is broken in a lot of ways, defects and player complaints are ignored but thank God I can buy some new premium tanks now!