Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good.

Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting.

So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.

Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS.

so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    From what I understand the purchasing of hot bars is an old issue :(

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Adoni

It was never an issue.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Adoni

lol, i could have sworn this read Tissue not issue, had to reread, :)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Paying $5 makes preferred account and gives 4 bars. Which was standard at game launch. Unlocking the sith with cartel coins should give you this status.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    This game is so P2UI.
  • MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I play some free to play, Aion, Rift, Neverwinter, a few others, Never have I had to pay to have access to the UI.

I draw the line there. I was going to pay for the sith, had no issue with that, but to pay for something concerning the UI just doesn't sit right with me at all. way I see it, there is also going to be a charge to make the chat font bigger. That one cost them my business, whoever thought it was a good idea to charge for that has no idea why ftp actually makes money. You kinda got to lure them in farther than level 8.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I just subed and get eveything. I have fun and dont mind paying the fee. Thet need to make money some how to keep going. I ifgure ftp is for those who can not afford any other way to play. if it is free done bitch... why should a company give you goods or services free.
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Don't be cheap. Pay some money to fund the game. Why are p2p gamers so cheap?  Spend $15 and unlock some stuff and then you don't have to pay it again. Or spend $15 a month and do a sub. Threads where people whine about money are really getting annoying.

But you forget some people are entitled to everything for free.  And when they don't get what they think they are entitled to they make threads like this.  

Personally if I ever got to point in my life were I posted on a website whining a video game is not free enough is the day I stop playing video games.  

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Not sure why the OP couldn't bother to recover the old acct info. Unless the old acct was banned for some reason.That would have solved the hotbar  issue ..allowing for 4 to start. ..and possibly the Sith problem too if it was already unlocked legacy wide before. Don't get me wrong..there is plenty about the F2P model for this game that I find so annoying that I continue to pay monthly. No regrets either. I was paying before it went F2P anyway.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    How can anyone really think they can play a game for free and not be behind players that at least pay something.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

never mind

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Be careful in criticizing a paid advertiser, that is the fastest way to a ban around here.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

Inb4 obligatory "b-but Guild Wars 2 doesn't have sub fees!" 

GW2 is boring no end game and zerg fest ring around the rosy 'pvp' 

Sorry I just had to put this out there before one of you did.

... and of course the bits those people always skip over..

1. It has a box fee

And don't you love how the standard definition for F2P, which is basically "a MMO that requires no initial purchase to download and play", is somehow shifted - like a goal-post with freshly oiled wheels - to mean only "requires an initial purchase, but no subscription fee", when it comes to GW2?

Gotta love how people just conveniently change definitions to suit the situation like that. Somehow, "free" doesn't actually mean "free" when it comes to GW2.

2. It has a cash shop.

ANet have liked to pat themselves on the back for not having a flat monthly sub on multiple occasions. Meanwhile, they've adopted an alternate revenue model that is known and proven to generate potentially far more revenue, by nickel and diming customers on individual items, while removing any limit on what one can spend.

I don't know what's more amazing... the cajones ANet have to put out such blatant PR spin, or the number of people who readily buy into it... simply because they like the game.

As for EA and their demonstrated greed in SWTOR.. well, yeah... lol... It's EA being EA. Sad thing is, people continue to support them.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    While I do think that their hybrid model is too expensive and somewhat predatory (probably one of the worst western hybrids anyhow), you can unlock a lot of the more inconvenient things simply by buying $5 worth of Cartel Coins, you know, to unlock more things. Then you will have plenty of hot bars and other quality of life improvements. Spend a little money to unlock the things you want (like Sith race) and you automatically get much more... not a terrible deal.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• TinkerBellCommandoTinkerBellCommando Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I play some free to play, Aion, Rift, Neverwinter, a few others, Never have I had to pay to have access to the UI.

I draw the line there. I was going to pay for the sith, had no issue with that, but to pay for something concerning the UI just doesn't sit right with me at all. way I see it, there is also going to be a charge to make the chat font bigger. That one cost them my business, whoever thought it was a good idea to charge for that has no idea why ftp actually makes money. You kinda got to lure them in farther than level 8.

In Rift, you have to pay $5 if you want to use the AH, you have to pay if you want the 3 new classes, give me a break. SWTOR is no different than any other MMO

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good.

Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting.

So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.

Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS.

so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.

Sorry dude, but this is is really an "in other news water is wet" story.  It's pretty much common knowledge that SWTOR has the worst f2p model on the market (I think after seeing it, the guys at SOE decided to lighten up on the EQ2 restrictions as they saw how poorly people responded to it and saw that their restrictions weren't too dissimilar).  Many have made fun of it; even the guys at Bluehole made fun of it when they made the teaser trailer for TERA going f2p (remember the part where they said they "won't take away your hotbarts"?  That was a deliberate jab at what happened in SWTOR).

Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

Right, because we totally can judge what all future f2p games will be like based on the one with the widely recognized worst model, the one that does almost everything wrong, and not models that do almost everything right *coughAionLineage2andTeracough*

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Haha! This OP made my day!

Normally I prefer sub. 15 bucks/month is fine for me. But sure, I can play a FTP game aswell and pay a small fee for some newly released features or dungeons or so! No problem! But pay extra for another hotbar to put my abilities on..... hahaha!! I almost fell of the chair...

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I like the game BUT charging for ui elements is just silly.  It makes them look like the greedy, money grubbing company that we all know they are =D.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Robokapp

EA's approach:

This game is free to play. The buttons are locked but you're free to play. Don't like it? buy it.

My approach:

Don't like it? Uninstall it.

I win. They lose.

So let's say he got to the end of his free to 20 WoW trial and made a thread complaining he had to spend $40 to make a panda and then spend $15 every month to access his hotbars. Would your answer still be so ridiculous or would it be, "Don't be a cheapskate and pay for your gaming?"

My answer in either case is don't be a cheapskate if you want to play.

Actually I think they'd say the same thing, because hating on Blizzard seems to be in vogue these days, especially on this site. The way some people talk you'd think everyone in the company had been convicted of pedophilia or some other kind of horrific crime.

That aside, I agree somewhat with the OP. Charging people to access a complete UI is pretty damn shady. But it's their game and their rules, play by them or leave. Plenty of other people are willing to make use of the bandwidth your absence will free up, I'm sure.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GhostRider00

In Rift, you have to pay $5 if you want to use the AH. SWTOR is no different than any other MMO

correction, you can buy from the AH and bid in the AH for free.

to post in the AH you must buy a REX for 1000p. Which is a few weeks of farming for a level 60.

you now can fully use the AH and have kept all your money in your pocket.

A few weeks of farming?  My time is a bit more valuable than that. But I assume if you sub you get this as part of the package so that would be the way I would go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Yeah screw EA for trying to make money. Fight the man!

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I bought the game and subscribed for a few months,  all i got was some extra hotbars and cartel coins.

approximates cost.  120$

You downloaded the game for free and paid 5.00 for some hot bars. and 10$ for some coins.  

Im not sure what the better deal is........

The res thing is pretty lame to me though.  

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

EA's approach: This game is free to play. The buttons are locked but you're free to play. Don't like it? buy it. My approach: Don't like it? Uninstall it. I win. They lose.

Erm, what did they lose actually? A customer that is not willing to pay? That isn't a loss, it is a relieve of bandwidth and services.

So the question is, what did you win?

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Yeah screw EA for trying to make money. Fight the man!

Yeah screw Sony, Microsoft, blizzard, Nike, McD, ford, Pepsi, coke, pro sports teams, movie theaters, people that own parking ramps , someone trying to sell a house, the kid selling popcorn so he can go on a trip with his/her group, the airlines, screw all these I am entitled to all their products for free!!  How dare they try and make money!!