Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

OMG The Combat

124»

Comments

• Soulsaint1215Soulsaint1215 Marshall, MNPosts: 16Member
    I look forward to playing the MMO's  that the complainers have coming out in the coming years.   I know they will be awesome.  
  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Soulsaint1215
    I look forward to playing the MMO's  that the complainers have coming out in the coming years.   I know they will be awesome.  

The game is called MMORPG.com and it happens on the general discussion forum with recreational trips being made on specific upcoming MMO's once they launch (seasonal events include trashing the game and reminiscing the good ol' days). Looking forward to seeing you there!

"Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

• ChipOreoChipOreo Atlanta, GAPosts: 21Member

I think it's safe to say there's no pleasing people that don't like the combat system. I can only suggest that you just find another game to play. Sorry it didn't/won't work out for you. =(

I don't notice the GCD much (http://youtu.be/GaSnKzHhJZw?t=5m15s) on my SCH so I'm quite happy with the game and I can't say it's boring either. I guess we all play differently and for the record having cleared BC 1-4 doesn't mean anything. . .I pug that junk everyweek (1-5. . always fail 5 ofcourse but meh) on Ramuh (JP Server). I guess having cleared that lulzy dungeon means you're an insta pro? lol. . .please.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

I'm gonna have to work towards SCH when I want a break from my usual routine.

• IrishbeardIrishbeard Peekskill, NYPosts: 21Member Uncommon
    The combat scheme is geared towards FF fans.  Anyone not familiar with the combat system in other FF games, aren't going to like it, or it's going to take a long time getting used to.  When I first played ARR - it was actually pleasant to play and enjoy, mostly because I love the FF franchise since day one and it brings some nostalgia to the table.
  • Ramones274Ramones274 Spanaway, WAPosts: 366Member
    I prefer to actually be able to see my combat instead of trying to decipher what is going on through a billion combat and spell effects going off simultaneously. 

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

GCD is intertwined with encounter design.

On Titan Hardmode, I barely have enough time to use the skills I have.  The GCD was designed with the constant moving anticipated from boss attacks.

I prefer this combat system to Wow, where you're just spamming buttons as soon as they're off cooldown.  I also prefer this over GW2 because in 2, there was no strategy other than everyone avoiding their own red circles.  Some really cool combinations and class design but it wasn't strong enough for me to stay.  

Thre are plenty of people who prefer this combat system over twitchbased (wow) or action based (GW2/Tera).  The market is saturated with games that have a FAST COMBAT system.  you're more than welcome to play those games to your heart's content.

I like FFXIV as is.

It's no different than WoW. It's just slower. Unless you're trying to say you don't have to move out of the fire in WoW. 

Because Wow's combat has a very fast GCD... there's literally no consequence to using one ability over another, because a second later, you can use the other ability.   you're spamming abilities without any thought or preparation.

In FFXIV, If I make the mistake in my decision on what ability to use, or what skill chain, that has consequences on my actions.  If I use my Maim Combo because I think my threat is ahead, only to realize I was wrong, then the group will pay the consequences... someone will get one shotted.

Think of the 2.5 GCD in conjunction with your 3 hit weapon skills.  you use the wrong one, you have 5-7.5 seconds before you can go back and correct the mistake.

Because the GCD is slower, AND because skills chain, making the incorrect choice has consequences where such consequences do not exist in WoW.  don't get me wrong, WoW did a lot of things right.  The boss designs are fun.  The combat is smooth.  There is no latency and it's reaction based.  however, I no longer enjoy spastically spamming abilities on my keyboard.

I enjoy the combat in FFXIV especially end game, where I am weaving in an ability between the global cooldown.  The slow combat is not slow when you are weaving in other abilities AND you're dodging shit.

I am NOT bored when I do Ifrit, Garuda or Titan.  The last thing I'm thinking is... damn this is boring.  I'm thinking, if I make one mistake i'm dead.

Agree 100%...on top of that the dungeons are about 10 times more challenging than any other MMO out there

• NurvusNurvus Costa de CaparicaPosts: 18Member

The problem is not the global cooldown.

It would be fine to have a 2.5 global cooldown if your character did something meaningful during that time.

Instead, you have a ~1.0s animation and a ~1.5s wait time.

---

@Randayn

10 times more challenging than any MMO out there?

You're not playing the same FFXIV:ARR I did.

The dungeons are long, compared to the crappy 5-15 minutes of today's WoW. I loved Blackrock Depths in Vanilla, for example.

But difficult? Bhahaha!

The only difficulty I had was trying to find interesting ways to defeat the encounters.

They are so "clear cut" that I only had fun the first time I beat each boss.

I did that boss where you have to draw living flames to the boss (and kill the adds that try to kill the flames) so that they explode and take away its health, on the first try, without knowing what to do, in a group where no one knew each other.

We tested various things until we discovered what we had to do, and from there, it was cake. But the process of discovering the tactic on our own was fun.

However, the 2nd time I did any of the dungeons, was so easy I almost cried.

• NephelaiNephelai SydneyPosts: 184Member Uncommon

Because Wow's combat has a very fast GCD... there's literally no consequence to using one ability over another, because a second later, you can use the other ability.   you're spamming abilities without any thought or preparation.

That is absolute rubbish.

A button masher is suboptimal in every way except unless you are confining yourself to killing spiders in the forest.

124»