Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: In-Game Shopping Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of Warcraft players wanting to buy the latest mount or pet for their collections (among other things), can now do so via an in-game store. Blizzard has laid out the details on the World of Warcraft blog.

You can now browse and purchase a bevy of mounts and pets* from directly within World of Warcraft through our newly added Shop interface. Just click the Shop icon on the menu bar once you’ve logged in to a character, and you’ll be able to pick out a new friend to add to your collection and start your adventures together right away. By combining the best of cutting-edge goblin and gnomish technology, we’ve also made it possible for you to receive your new pal right in your inventory (or via mail if your inventory is full).

Read more on the World of Warcraft site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Several pets and mounts are 50% off as well now :D
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'd say if they get to less than a million subs maybe. But not any time soon.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    The foundation is there now. I wonder how long before they fully implement the freemium model.

Regardless if it was in game or not they already had the Blizzard store where you could buy all this so...redundant post is redundant.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    So... 90% of playerbase will end up stopping exploring content and working to get their mounts and pets I guess? Seems like blizzard is taking away any incentive to traverse content after quests are done.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    The foundation is there now. I wonder how long before they fully implement the freemium model.

When they stop making money hand over fist from having millions of subscribers...

You make me like charity

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC
    So... 90% of playerbase will end up stopping exploring content and working to get their mounts and pets I guess? Seems like blizzard is taking away any incentive to traverse content after quests are done.

Why are you saying that? The pets and mounts ingame aren't available in the shop. And those in the shop have been available for ages, just not thru ingame means.

Tbh the shop ones aren't very interesting to me, it's way more fun to earn one ingame.....

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

You're just now realizing this?  They pretty much painted themselves into that corner back when they introduced flying mounts.

You make me like charity

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

*Wyvern and Gryphon plushies, Guardian Cubpet and Moonkin Hatchling pet are not available for purchase within the Blizzard Shop.

Guardian Cubpet is the only pet I am aware of that can treated as cash to gold on the regular blizzstore

it can be sold ingame on the AH

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/02/world-of-warcraft-guardian-cub-ready-to-take-a-bite-out-of-gold-farmers-available-now/

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Regardless if it was in game or not they already had the Blizzard store where you could buy all this so...redundant post is redundant.

An item shop that can be accessed in-game is paramount to a successful freemium model. As you stated, they already have a perfectly working and successful shop available on their website, so why offer an in-game solution if they aren't at least considering switching payment models? That's all I'm wondering, no need to call my thoughts and opinions useless simply because you don't like them.

I'd hardly claim that an item shop MUST be accessible in-game to be a successful freemium model.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by asmkm22

When they stop making money hand over fist from having millions of subscribers...

Absolutely, why on earth would they want to leave money on the table ?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Absolutely, why on earth would they want to leave money on the table ?

I think they would have to lose about 50% more, because you gotta take into account the Asian subs, and how they count towards their profit.  So probably if they get down to around 2.5-3 Million it may make sense for them, but same reason they haven't put out another big mmo to compete and take money from WoW

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

An item shop that can be accessed in-game is paramount to a successful freemium model. As you stated, they already have a perfectly working and successful shop available on their website, so why offer an in-game solution if they aren't at least considering switching payment models? That's all I'm wondering, no need to call my thoughts and opinions useless simply because you don't like them.

Well the Asian markets are getting XP potions and such in the store...so I guess they are doing it so that both systems are still the same just the available content in the store is different.  Makes it easier to maintain instead of an Asian UI and a Western UI.  The webstore was not that easy to navigate between the out of game stuff and ingame stuff.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Cool. It's a good start. They should make it like Rift's store where you can buy stuff with multiple currencies and offer all sorts of stuff.

I might drop $15 on a month to see how it's changed. I haven't played for a few years. I would be much more inclined to spend money if they dropped the sub like Rift.

Personally I would wait until the new expansion drops before checking it out again. (That is if you didn't mind also buying the new expansion)

They're adding alot of features that are steps in the right direction for this new expansion. Even going so far as making it so that flying will be unavailable in the expansion area for at least 2-3 months and not just a simple "get to max lvl and buy flying again".

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wow they are selling what used to be a large part of their content an appeal for some.

It felt good earning a mount or finding a pet. I don't think it will feel as good now.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Wow they are selling what used to be a large part of there content an appeal for some.

It felt good earning a mount or finding a pet. I don't think it will feel as good now.

Considering theres hundreads and hundreads more to get.

Wow they are selling what used to be a large part of their content an appeal for some.

2010 wants to know where you were when they started selling the first pet and mount?

Why are people continuing saying stuff like "wow, there's no point to exploring to find pets and mounts anymore"

They are still adding plenty of pets/mounts in game to find....you're acting like they are ONLY offering new pets/mounts in the store now. In fact the majority of pets/mounts are still found in the game. Whether it be from a new faction, or pvp season, or new dungeon/raid. Or hell even some new holiday pet they came out with.

Seriously stop with the kneejerk comment "welp, there goes playing the game as an option for finding mounts/pets"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Horusra

2010 wants to know where you were when they started selling the first pet and mount?

the first ones were "special edition" cosmetic mounts and pets. The first pet actually came in the CE. They're now moving to a full blown cosmetic cash shop in a sub game...and people will eat it up because the avg gamer wont do without to make a stand over something as trivial as a few dollars in entertainment.

These things are only a big deal on forums.

Originally posted by DamonVile

the first ones were "special edition" cosmetic mounts and pets. The first pet actually came in the CE. They're now moving to a full blown cosmetic cash shop in a sub game...and people will eat it up because the avg gamer wont do without to make a stand over something as trivial as a few dollars in entertainment.

These things are only a big deal on forums.

2010 was the celestial steed and the lich pet in the store.  The beginning of this shop.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Hell, they've been doing it since 2006 with their TCG.

What still feels good is getting a mount or pet from a very extremely difficult boss. I can care less if someone spent real money on one.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Since pets and mounts are not pay to win I wonder if the people complaining here actually know why they are complaining.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Since pets and mounts are not pay to win I wonder if the people complaining here actually know why they are complaining.

Probably because many F2P games give content for free and charge you for vanity stuff like pets and mounts.  In WoW you have to pay for new content via a subscription and then they are going to charge you again for vanity pets.  It doesn't matter whether or not the argument is actually valid, what matters to Blizzard's bottom line is that players feel like they are getting screwed and that Blizzard is making a cash grab.  Impressions are everything and people don't like to feel cheated.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Probably because many F2P games give content for free and charge you for vanity stuff like pets and mounts.  In WoW you have to pay for new content via a subscription and then they are going to charge you again for vanity pets.  It doesn't matter whether or not the argument is actually valid, what matters to Blizzard's bottom line is that players feel like they are getting screwed and that Blizzard is making a cash grab.  Impressions are everything and people don't like to feel cheated.

These mounts and pets have been in their cash shop for a long ass time, way back in wrath if not before.  And these pets are specialty so yeah... you are gonna have to fork some dough.  There are still plenty of pets/mounts to farm for and these are just the few unique ones.  Hardly what I call being cheated.

An argument can be made that pets and mounts are no way related to what people are paying for via sub as a counter argument can be made that content, class balance, and balancing are what people are paying for and all these mounts and pets are just fluff items and no way an obligation by Blizzard to fulfill.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    When I see an argument about how someone prefers subscription games because they get access to all content, WoW always comes to mind.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Not needed, waste of time putting it in-game. 

I didn't like the store to be being with, but it was kept OUT of the game, so if you really wanted something you had go get it and adverts were kept to the web site or launcher. It's obvious what their intensions are, they're hoping people who can't control themselves money wise will splurge what they can in the store, the temptation will be much higher. It's like sticking a cake shop in a fat mans house and saying "you don't have to buy it if you don't". Why do you think F2p games do it? because players will be much more tempted to buy crap if it's sitting in their face all the time.

At the moment, yeah there is nothing on the store to be worried about, but that they've decided to move it in-game just makes me think there going to start adding more stuff. Why? because there is nothing in the store that warents having it in-game, everything on there is a one time payment, so logging off and hopping on the store isn't to much of a problem. but with items you buy every so often or have time limits, having the store in-game is needed. 

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    When I see an argument about how someone prefers subscription games because they get access to all content, WoW always comes to mind.

Well the argument is still there, blizzard are just twats, think the 9 years has gone to their head. they're taking their playerbase for a ride and seeing how far they can go before people catch on. While the rest of us watch from the sidelines as they head towards the cliffs edge. 

Edit: dam, messed up the quote thing massively xD