Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: No Class Race Restriction is a Good Thing

1235»

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Only 40% wanted restrictions, it was hardly a landslide. If you actually read the discussion thread the tone was more to let us play what we want than anything.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

Just another SOE game that they will build the way they want too regardless of what the players say or feel. I will try it, however, I will not hold my breath for it to be worth playing for an extended period of time.

MMO's of today are more about single player play than they are for group play and cater to the casual player. SOE (or pretty much any game company today) could care less if you actually login and play. They simply don't want you to cancel your subscription. So they will make the game as easy as they can (just look at World of Warcraft) to cater to the masses and in the end we get a fancy version of FarmVille.

Things like Risk vs Reward, Death Penalties, Corpse Runs etc. are a thing of the past. Now it's Instant Travel, anyone can do anything, death means nothing. AKA Easy Mode for Kids.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Was there really ever any doubt that the "round table" was nothing but PR hype?

Could not agree more.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

What players say they want, when implemented, often has consequences that  does not make game play  fun.

When I started playing EQ, I chose Troll warrior.  It worked well at low levels. The troll regeneration, however, did not scale up as you leveled.  The way that troll regeneration was implemented was not something that was self-evident early in the game.

The ogre warrior immunity to stun worked at all levels. Ogre was a better choice for warrior.

In EQ it was  fun to group with different races.  It added character and variety. The race restriction where some cities are hostile to certain races made it to tedious for groups, as they had to sell to merchants that were friendly to their race and the merchants for different races were a long way apart.  At higher levels, in the newer zones, the  merchants and cities were neutral.  This made grouping with different races  easier.

I like to chose the appearance of my character, including race. I also like to chose the class.

• CeallachCeallach Member Posts: 7

"EverQuest Next is not aiming to be a niche title. It is not trying to be a modernized version of either of its forebears, EverQuest or EverQuest 2."

Worries me.

And race/class is not restricted in DND i dont know what version you are playing, but I have DMed for nearly 15 years.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by ChaaK
    Makes perfect sense, though how come they didn't realise that BEFORE asking the community?

Because then they couldn't claim to be "listening to the community".  I think this game is going to be a good case study for how much players actually want what they think they want.  EQN seems to essentially be getting built by implementing the most commonly-requested features in the genre.  It's like a top 40 radio station...

I'm interested to see how it pans out.

You make me like charity

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    I could see how a character class and race combination might give you a particular head start when it comes to particular abilities/skills.  So that a dwarf fighter might have a little better starting point with hammers and axes for example, since it's a preferred weapon choice for that race.  Other races wouldn't necessarily get that head start in those particular weapons, but nothing would prevent them from learning axes and hammers over time.