Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Entropy Early Access Begins on Steam

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Entropy has arrived a bit early on Steam and early-access to the space-themed MMO has started. Entropy is being developed by Artplant, the same team behind Battlestar Galactica Online.

Exclusively available through Steam’s Early Access program from today, Entropy’s persistent, open-universe experience brings fast, real-time, player-controlled space combat to the space MMO genre for the first time, along with player-driven dynamic trading and sandbox gameplay.

Set in a future where humanity is desperately working to maintain a crumbling interstellar civilisation, Entropy unlocks more than 100 detailed star systems for early access players to explore. In addition to fighting in space-based dogfights, players also have to work together and manage trade, mining, travel and more, controlling both the direction and fate of the entire galaxy. The decision to provide players with Early Access to Entropy during this phase of development will allow crucial feedback to be gathered, enabling gameplay to be enriched as it progresses towards full launch.

A selection of Founders packs are now available to purchase, providing players with immediate access to Entropy, as well as a raft of extra benefits. These include starter ships, in-game currency, multiple character slots and exclusive player avatar items. Players who purchase either of the top two packages also receive the extra benefit of not having their experience and wealth reset when the game comes out of Early Access.

“We’re really excited to finally unveil Entropy to MMO fans; it’s an ambitious title for us and we can’t wait to see how players react to engaging in player-controlled, intergalactic dogfights for the very first time in a space-based MMO,” said Jack Wulf, Chief Executive Officer of Artplant. “Launching through Steam’s Early Access programme will help ensure Entropy connects with its emergent community and utilise crucial feedback from players, enhancing the incredible gameplay experience we’re building.”

Find out more on the Entropy Steam page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Emmm pass

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    So... Eve with less combat that involves planning?

Smile

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Razeekster

With no humanoid player avatars.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Anyone dares to try ?

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Razeekster

If you fight for a reason like territory control then planning would still be involved.

My question is, has anyone played yet? I'm interested but would like some input on how it plays before dropping $20 for early access.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    After reading some reviews on steam I'll probably pay the 20 bucks for something to toy with while I wait for other MMO's and possible play for a long time. But since I'm part of the majority it'll have to wait until payday :)
  • demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88

Went to Buy the game but it seems like steam is down anyone else having trouble with steam?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Is it all PvP or is there PvE?

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    So EVE without shit combat, interesting.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Founder packs = "if you are dumb enough to throw money at me, I will take it"

Just too many naive people on the net.

There is nothing "First time" about this game, it has all been done before.  Who knows, it might actually be a decent game someday.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Hmmm 20$? Hmmm what's the other catch? Sounds a little too cool to be true. Need more info!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Color me intrigued, actually.  Gonna have to check it out.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I dont know if im daring enough to buy it, but it does look promising.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Wow whats with all the space games lately? I like but you guys are like 10 years late.

Anyway checking this out, it looks like work in progress. Also steam is borked for me too.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Yeah as above, don't have the disposable income to warrant purchasing off the bat like that, need to read some player reviews first. Looks like fun to me though.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I'll bite, DLing now.
    Just watched the youtube vid. It seems very much like Black Prophecy (Gamigo MMO , that was closed last year) Could it be that its recycling of this game ?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Just watched the youtube vid. It seems very much like Black Prophecy (Gamigo MMO , that was closed last year) Could it be that its recycling of this game ?

Seems very different in gameplay and approach. It's seems a lot more like an EnB/EVE mix. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The game is in early access, ie alpha state.

In one hour of play I had to force restart 6 times. Not complaining, just saying it for what it is. 

The flying mechanics are quite nice, graceful and make combat fun, as well as satisfying.

The graphics are top notch from what I have seen so far.

The soundtrack is good, the sound effects are passable, but you can tell there will be much more added soon. Including music for the start screen, as well as many more sound effects.

The game has you moving between 4 states: Galaxy map, sector map, sector space, and station instance. 

Now this is what I feel is the most glaring gameplay problem, you're constantly switching between the 4 gameplay states in the most non-graceful manner...loading screens  (-_-). They ruin immersion and have you feeling like you are constantly staring at a loading screen. And on top of that, when you dock at a station you hit another loading screen, or when you jump thru gates to head to different sectors you are introduced to yet another loading screen.

These cumbersome loading screens are bad game design 101. The same principals that lay down the framework for great web design also apply here. In web design you want your end user to get to the webpage he/she needs to get to in the least amount of clicks as possible. This is due to the short attention span of the average user, especially in this day and age of immediancy. With game design you want your loading intervals to be as transparent as possible. 

Let's run through a typical Entropy play session:

You start the game, select your character, [loading screen], undock from space station, [loading screen], bring up sector space map, [loading screen], steer your ship to your destination jumpgate in the sector map and select enter, [loading screen], maneuver the new sector map to your waypoint and select enter, [loading screen], arrive at your destination.

I encountered 5 loading screens just getting to my first mission waypoint in another sector, if I was headed to another space station that would've been 6 loading screens. Uncool.

What do these gameplay states feel like?

Think of the galaxy map as Eve's galaxy map but with way fewer locations (understood it is alpha). The sector map is similar to Star Trek Online's sector map where a simplified ship represents your current avatar and you can see other PC/NPCs in their ships flying between stations, pirate spawn locations, and gates. Sector space is where all the magic happens, I am unsure how many players are allowed in a space instance of a certain sector. And finally the space station is your typical personal space station instance similar to Eve Online, except things are easier to find at first glance.

Well that's all for now, getting back ingame. IGN is Spirit if anyone else is playing and needs help with anything.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    The sector space part reminds me of mass effect.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

It looks much like potbs design. Anyway if they can not remove loading screens, the game will not fare too good.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

hehe evonline- lite!

its pretty kewl looking ,actually i would play it if it didnt have so many screen jumps, kinda of a downer.

if you like eve -this looks like a casual version. i could be wrong.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Bought this early access (Alpha) few days ago, The game as others stated has many similarities to Eve online but it excels where Eve online really sucked and thats the combat aspect, you actually fly your own ship and aim your own weapons unlike eve where it was a very boring system this game reminds me of play wind commander, combat is very similar.  

Graphics and sound are well done, character creation is decent atm from my view it appears more will be added into those options before release.  Ship modification and station functionality work much like eve online.

It has a steep learning curve atm due to the tutorial not being complete (I assume) was frustrating but expected due to development stage.

The sector space map is basic you fly around in a overview of the area searching for mining zones or mission zones.

Overall at this point I feel the game has a ton of potential and they have been addressing the issues extremely fast since the early access started, will continue playing.

Originally posted by Salenger
    Bought this early access (Alpha) few days ago, The game as others stated has many similarities to Eve online but it excels where Eve online really sucked and thats the combat aspect, you actually fly your own ship and aim your own weapons unlike eve where it was a very boring system this game reminds me of play wind commander, combat is very similar.  

Graphics and sound are well done, character creation is decent atm from my view it appears more will be added into those options before release.  Ship modification and station functionality work much like eve online.

It has a steep learning curve atm due to the tutorial not being complete (I assume) was frustrating but expected due to development stage.

The sector space map is basic you fly around in a overview of the area searching for mining zones or mission zones.

Overall at this point I feel the game has a ton of potential and they have been addressing the issues extremely fast since the early access started, will continue playing.

Is Wind Commander anything like Wing Commander? Because I've heard Wing Commander is a really great game.

Bazinga! :-)

For those that are playing, are the controls keyboard/mouse, or is there joystick support native in the game?