Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play ESO without "The Elder Scrolls"?

CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

If ESO was being developed exactly like it is, BUT everything concerning The Elder Scrolls IP was removed (names, locations, etc) and was replaced with basic High Fantasy related lore, would you still be interested in playing it?

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I'm not enamored by the IP, could care less actually, I'm only following because its been reported to mimic DAOC style RVR, only item of real interest to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm not enamored by the IP, could care less actually, I'm only following because its been reported to mimic DAOC style RVR, only item of real interest to me.

A bunch of co-workers and I were having this discussion. One of them was like you and wasnt interested in TES, but liked the fact it was going to have DAOC PvP.

2 others werent interested in the PvP at all and were interested because it was TES

Another didnt care if it was TES, but is going to play it anyway because its an MMO

I was the odd man out. I love TES, but am not interested in the game

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    TES setting surely is a main draw, but I would give it a shot.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

there needs to be a hook for me to play a mmorpg, and this ol fish is darn near played out.

having said that, my fallback game when i tire of a mmo  is the elder scrolls, oblivion/skyrim,  so there is the hook once again that ill bit onto, least for a while. if TESO can offer anywhere the replayability of the elder scroll series, and have the fun of three way pvp, which was fantastic in daoc, im all for it.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Definitely. The bevy of good design decisions combined with the talented developmental direction that has proven itself to me already is enough to get me hyped. That it's TES is just a huge bonus. 
  • ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Kind of a pointless thread since most of the mechanics in-game stem from TES and therefore without the influence it wouldn't be what it is.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Originally posted by ego13
    Kind of a pointless thread since most of the mechanics in-game stem from TES and therefore without the influence it wouldn't be what it is.

The OP specifically asked about the hypothetical exclusion of setting-based stuff from the IP. Names, locations, etc. The mechanics for ESO are not drawn from these lore-based elements. So this thread is far from pointless to anyone who read the OP.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

TES, the SPRG's that is, don't have the most . . . erm . . . fascinating lore. It's the freedom, exploration, and customization that are enjoyable.

Actually, I bet if they did skin it with "random fantasy MMO theme #7" people would be much more positive about TESO than they currently are because they're so busy comparing it to some single player games.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I hate questions like this, because I honestly think they're pointless. ESO likely wouldn't be developed like this without the link to elder scrolls, it is what it is exactly because it comes from that series.

But the answer is yes, if a game was doing the exact same as ESO was doing (and therefore it would be an elder scrolls ripoff), I would still give it a chance. I even give ripoffs a chance, but like all games I try to inform myself so that I know what I'm gonna get myself into.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VezlinVezlin Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I'd actually be even more interested. I'd wanted a multiplayer TES game for a long time, but for the purposes of co-op with my friends. Getting divided because one friend will only play this faction, while another friend refuses to play it, was kinda unfun when, throughout the TES games I've played, you could always pick any race. Settings were faction divide has always been there, or are built with factions in mind, are just fine with me, so if there were no 'TES' attached to it, I'd probably be a little more hyped, though I am already planning to at least give it a try.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Honestly I'm interested in any new mmorpg coming out. Even those that are spinoffs like EQ Next. TESO will be fun to me though because I'm connected with it because of the previous single player games.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by PerfArt

The OP specifically asked about the hypothetical exclusion of setting-based stuff from the IP. Names, locations, etc. The mechanics for ESO are not drawn from these lore-based elements. So this thread is far from pointless to anyone who read the OP.

Obviously you haven't played.  I assure you, you couldn't EXCLUDE those things and have anything left over.  The gameplay from TES is actually fairly exclusive when compared to ANY other MMO.  Thanks for playing, though.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

If ESO was being developed exactly like it is, BUT everything concerning The Elder Scrolls IP was removed (names, locations, etc) and was replaced with basic High Fantasy related lore, would you still be interested in playing it?

I'd need a little clarification before answering.  If we're just changing all the proper nouns as you suggest in your parentheses, then the game, lore, story, world, history still remains exactly the same; it would all just have a different name.  If this is the case, then yes, I'd absolutely still be interested in the game.  

If, on the other hand, we're "replacing" the lore with "basic" high fantasy lore, then we're altering the content of the story, world and history.  Moreover, applying the adjective "basic" to story and lore is generally synonymous with "bad" or "shallow."  In this case, you're essentially asking if we replace the rich, deep, good lore of the TES world with shallow, bad lore, would we still like it?  To this question, I'd probably answer no.  

Obviously you haven't played.  I assure you, you couldn't EXCLUDE those things and have anything left over.  The gameplay from TES is actually fairly exclusive when compared to ANY other MMO.  Thanks for playing, though.

You are correct in assuming I have not played the beta. I was merely referring to what the OP posted, which didn't specify the requirement for having played an unfinished build of the game.

As such, I didn't know that the entirety of the MMO's game mechanics were so directly taken from past ES games. Due to the info released thus far, it appeared that many game mechanics diverged from said games in order to facilitate MMO play. As I have not played, I was apparently wrong in that assumption. Thanks for the correction.

So I guess my answer to the OP is that if this were an alternate universe and ES never existed, yet the game we are speaking of did under a different name and utilized mechanics that were somehow identical to those revealed thus far, I would be interested in it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i would yes, i like the art style and the Daoc style pvp, i like that cyrodiil has pve and pvp so it (hopefully) feels more like open pvp and not just a pvp area.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Darkfall seems an awful lot like it...but with the freedom that this game is going to lack.

I don't care about the TES IP, but appreciate the games.  Once I found MMO's I can never play another single player game for any amount of time.  I'm on the fence about the game, but only because of the overuse of themepark features.  Also on the fence about paying the now upped $60 box price (MMO's used to be $50 box) and a sub.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm with you.  I never really enjoyed skyrim or oblivion.  They just felt like really boring single player mmos *shrug.  

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Without the Elder Scrolls IP it's just a lame DAOC knock off. Been there, done that. Now if they can just figure out how to represent the Elder Scrolls core gameplay in some fashion within their MMO framework I might be happy.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Without the Elder Scrolls IP it's just a lame DAOC knock off.
    If only. If this had anything to do with DAoC it might be a solid game. But DAoC didn't have need of instancing or phasing or mega servers or playing in the other realms. DAoC was one of the best MMORPGs ever created, if this was a clone of that, it would do more than well. But it has more in common with WoW than DAoC.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Without the Elder Scrolls IP it's just a lame DAOC knock off.
    If only. If this had anything to do with DAoC it might be a solid game. But DAoC didn't have need of instancing or phasing or mega servers or playing in the other realms. DAoC was one of the best MMORPGs ever created, if this was a clone of that, it would do more than well. But it has more in common with WoW than DAoC.

Thanks to the way agreements work we can't have a substantive forum discussion on that for another year...  :)

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Yup, its actually a pretty good game. Im actually not big on the ESO IP. I love the games but I hardly even knew what an Elder Scroll was until Skyrim /shrug.

Was on the fence with the game until I actually played it.

...... hopefully im allowed to say that.
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

Would you play WoW without the WoW?

would you play lotro without the lotr?

would you play Swtor without the sw?

would you play Age of Conan without Conan?

would you play ever quest next without the eq? 

would you play ffxiv without the ff? 

Would you play STO without the st? 

Would you play ddo without the dd?

would you play never winter without the Neverwinter? 

Let me know if you want more examples.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I would give it a spin based on what I've seen thus far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    While it will be fun to check out the world from a nostalgic point of view (and see it in a new era) I am mostly intrigued about the PvP and the way the skill system works.  I'm not setting my hype meter too high these days (although I cant contain my EQ fanboyism for EQN), but will definitely check it out.  Its probably worth playing for a month at the very least.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    From what we've seen so far the game really doesn't look that great, it's nothing new and seems to lack the huge world we've seen in single player ES games. If it didn't have an Elder Scrolls tag I doubt it would even be on the radar. When you look at it next to something like Everquest next, which is using much more up to date tech, ESO is just underwhelming.