Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Tell Us More, Zenimax

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that we're getting more of the puzzle pieces that assist in bringing the Elder Scrolls Online picture into full view, we are hungry for more. In our latest ESO column, we plead with Zenimax to tell us more on a few different topics. Read on and then tell us what you'd like to know more about.

You know, it’s heading into the end of 2013, with just a few short months to go before Elder Scrolls Online likely launches to the masses across the PC and consoles. And when I think about it, there’s a whole lot left to uncover in terms of this game’s features.  So today, I’m going to list out five things I think Zenimax Online Studios should detail for fans and prospective players of Elder Scrolls Online.  Here’s my shortlist of things ESO should be talking more about as we head into 2014.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: Tell Us More, Zenimax!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SilveruneSilverune Member UncommonPosts: 128

They are certainly keeping tight lipped about a lot of things, especially since it is suppposed to be an early 2014 release. Does the lack of information and ingame gameplay videos mean they are not confident in their product?

I remember GW2, Warhammer, Lore of the Rings Online releasing a wealth of videos about content with abudance information for the masses before release. All The elder scrolls seem to have is a regular question and answers update on their website and not much to back up what is being said.

NDA lift perhaps? or are would they be afraid of such a move?

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I think they dont want to take that hype-road that f.e. GW2, WAR, SWTOR etc... took. This game will sell itself anyway.

All those mentioned games flooded the press with vids and infos about how "awesome"tm everything in the game is. And related to GW2 especially, I'd even say they pretty much lied about so much things. I like it that we only get so see glimses at ESO. It works for me at least. Can't stand to wait any longer and I'm hyped without an actual hype.

Hodor!

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

They know it will be a cookie cutter mmo with ESO slapped on it. That's why they've kept tight about it. 

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Silverune

They are certainly keeping tight lipped about a lot of things, especially since it is suppposed to be an early 2014 release. Does the lack of information and ingame gameplay videos mean they are not confident in their product?

I remember GW2, Warhammer, Lore of the Rings Online releasing a wealth of videos about content with abudance information for the masses before release. All The elder scrolls seem to have is a regular question and answers update on their website and not much to back up what is being said.

NDA lift perhaps? or are would they be afraid of such a move?

Well early 2014 could technically be as late as the end of spring.  I think we will see this more and more with video games these days.  You have so many people that are just out to hate on a game that even when they do release info these haters still make up lies.  For example on here it was a know facts show in videos but the haters started a rumor that spread like wild fire on this site "mages can't wear plate" when in fact they can that's just one of many examples.

Another reason I think this will be the norm is technology Lotro and Warhamner probably were done way before eso will be done. With today's technology it's easier to make changed and improvements to a particular game.  It's very possible with the limited beta they are taking the info from the surveys and improving on things before they release a video or information.  Plus a game with the ESO name tag doesn't need much hype,  lotro didn't either but mmos were more of a niche market 7 years ago.  So they are still working on improvements and implementing things that's my opinion, I'm sure others will have the opinion of a more doom and gloom look at it.  

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

"We’ve seen a public dungeon in ESO already: The Crow’s Wood. We also know that there will be roles like tanks, healers, and DPS in ESO. Public dungeons are smaller, team-oriented dungeons that anyone can join with or without a group and work along quest lines."

Someone had a brain fart here. Some developer should be fired.

Public dungeons are supposed to be the opposite of this. They're supposed to be massive sprawling mazes capable of having content for multiple groups of people so you can go in alone, or wander in and find a group in progress.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I really miss huge dungeons that you could get lost in.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Public dungeons are supposed to be the opposite of this. They're supposed to be massive sprawling mazes capable of having content for multiple groups of people so you can go in alone, or wander in and find a group in progress.

Unfortunately the last game that comes in my mind which tried this, was DAOC with its Labyrinth of the Minotaur. Everything else created since then were those fu.... narrow railroad dungeons!

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984

Unfortunately the last game that comes in my mind which tried this, was DAOC with its Labyrinth of the Minotaur. Everything else created since then were those fu.... narrow railroad dungeons!

Not Vanguard, actually. Vanguard probably has the best dungeons in any MMO ever.

Even Darkfall has one really amazing dungeon.

"We’ve seen a public dungeon in ESO already: The Crow’s Wood. We also know that there will be roles like tanks, healers, and DPS in ESO. Public dungeons are smaller, team-oriented dungeons that anyone can join with or without a group and work along quest lines."

So just cause you think a public dungeon is different then their version someone should be fired?  Sounds public to me "team-oriented dungeons that anyone can join with or without a group and work along quest lines."  key words would be ANYONE, WITH OR WITHOUT A GROUP.  The only difference I see in the two versions one would be larger then the other.  But in the end both still public.  Yeah I think someone did have a brain fart here it's ok though.  
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Everyone seems to have their own ideas about what this game is supposed to be, and with every bit of info released or hinted at, any divergence from these expectations is met with wildly conflicting rants and prognistications from the genre's opinion crusaders. Playing it close is a good idea in this environment, as the hype built in to the IP could translate into a healthier early adoption rate. At this point, I don't think there's anything they can do to please everyone, but a bit of mystique carries with it a kind of hype that operates somewhat outside the realm of feature comparison.

Considering the apparent importance of AvA to TESO's long-term success, there could very well be features involving it that Zenimax considers very consequential in regard to public perception, and the timing of releasing this kind of information is not without importance. Said timing in relation to release can be a big factor in mindshare during such a pivotal phase. In essence, sometimes you save the hype bomb-droppage for the main army instead of blowing your load on the front lines, a tactic perhaps more relevant to TESO's release than any in the near future given the aforementioned expectations.

Originally posted by Kicksave321

So just cause you think a public dungeon is different then their version someone should be fired? 
    Use logic for just a second. What makes more sense? A public dungeon being a tiny cramped thing where a small amount of people fill it up, focused on linear quests so that everyone will cramp up in the same place?
    Or a big dungeon with no set single quest and encourages people to spread out and explore it?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Its Elder Scrolls, remember how much they showed about skyrim. The only feature I ever saw about skyrim b4 launch was the trailer.

Also they focus to release on ps4. And playstation games never get spoilered b4 launching.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

So just cause you think a public dungeon is different then their version someone should be fired? 
    Use logic for just a second. What makes more sense? A public dungeon being a tiny cramped thing where a small amount of people fill it up, focused on linear quests so that everyone will cramp up in the same place?
    Or a big dungeon with no set single quest and encourages people to spread out and explore it?

Makes sense to whom? And "smaller" is a relative term, not a quantifiable descriptor. One game's smaller is another's expansive. 

There are too many variables that could make the reality of public dungeons far different than what can be inferred from a few lines of dev speak. Remember that the server tech being used could also change the public dynamic in various ways, the specifics if which are not fully realized by most.

Just sayin... no reason to worry. Yet. :P

Sorry double post damn iPhone. 

Oh I wasn't debating which was better that comes down to personal preference.  But to say someone should be fired and it's not a public dungeon is a little aggressive .

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Spot on.
    The reason why I am skeptical about ESO is the fact that they do nothing to dispell the doubts about the game being a SWTOR with a TES badge on it.
    Too much secrecy is a bit suspicious at this stage

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

They know it will be a cookie cutter mmo with ESO slapped on it. That's why they've kept tight about it. 

I'm thinking this possibly, but hopefully not.  It's going to take a lot to convince me it's worth a monthly payment after I already paid for the box.  Specially if it's filled with tank and spank dungeons.  As long as Bethesda makes another TES game or Fallout then I probably won't care anyways.

Simply put:  Some games should be MMOs and some shouldn't.  TES, in my opinion has no need to be an MMO.  People bought those games for a reason.  Now they want to give us reasons not to buy them.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Groot
    I really miss huge dungeons that you could get lost in.

I hear ya

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's so painful being bound by the NDA! Just...want to talk! lol

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Where is everyone getting this early 2014 from? They said SPRING 2014. That technically runs through Jun of 2014. That is more than a couple of months. My only concern is that due to the little we have seen that even June may be pushed back a little further (again).

There Is Always Hope!

• DiTHDiTH Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I dont expect this anytime be4 summer 2014 at least.Considering the state of beta and the ammount of PR around.
    Originally posted by DiTH
    I dont expect this anytime be4 summer 2014 at least.Considering the state of beta and the ammount of PR around.

I just don't understand this "state of beta" have you people never been in a beta before?  Do you people understand beta is not a free trial?  The last beta had a goal had a point did those who keep saying "state of beta" just run around and try to find things that may or may not have been done or working properly on purpose?  I have been in my fair share of betas and this one was on Par with the rest for a game that could be 6months out from when the beta was available.  

Betas are not a free trial.

Betas are not a depiction of the finished game.  In six months with today's technology a lot can be done to a video game.

Most betas have goals like reach level 17 and head to a certain area.  Not all featured are always added during betas that have specific goals this includes all graphics, areas, npcs and loot tables.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

I think people who are expecting just another quest driven MMO won't be let down.

Sorry to everyone else :

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by gwei1984

That's not right, Vanguard has some vast open dungeons, some taking days to complete and have multiple group content spreading over many levels.

In fact the game has no instanced dungeons, say what you want about Vanguard but when it comes to group dungeons it's right up there with EQ and all the old school mmo's.

Over 100+ open dungeons and some taking days or even a week to complete.

Vanguard has some of the biggest and interesting dungeons to date imo.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    What was the point in this article? Seems like just an excuse to write something.