Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is there to do at endgame?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
Hey everybody, i see there is a sale through tonight for the game.  I use to be a more hardcore player but want to start back playing MMOs after a 2 year break.   But gonna come back with a more casual playstyle.  But i still like to progress and was curious what people do at endgame.  I think GW2 is suppose to be different at endgame but havent done much research.  Is it dailies, pvp, dungeons, raids or what?  Also do you progress your gear at endgame too?  Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• prayerlessprayerless Member UncommonPosts: 21
    get bored with zerging in WvWvW and quit
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I don't play anymore. Haven't played for a few months, but I would highly recommend. It's probably the best video game there is for the price you pay, and if it is on sale that is even better.

I play and love a lot of video games so that is not a biased opinion.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

PvE side, you can do dungeons until you get max equips aka Exotic level goods. They added ascended weapons, though it's terribly grindy and costly in gold to get those. You can also do dailies to work towards ascended jewelry or do fractals to get them. Aside from that it's WvW or PvP along with the content they release every 2 weeks.

There was no gear treadmill until they recently added ascended weapons, but the weapons are only slightly more powerful than the old best, the exotic grade equipment. I don't know if they are going to continue with a gear treadmill because people complained and it's honestly a real chore to grind the materials on top of doing the painful crafting grind/goldsink. There was ascended armor in the works too.

Honestly the thing that bugged me most about ascended equipment was that if you use a gun and a sword, that's two crafting jobs you need to get to 500. On top of that, they aren't tradeable to my knowledge.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by flguy147
    Hey everybody, i see there is a sale through tonight for the game.  I use to be a more hardcore player but want to start back playing MMOs after a 2 year break.   But gonna come back with a more casual playstyle.  But i still like to progress and was curious what people do at endgame.  I think GW2 is suppose to be different at endgame but havent done much research.  Is it dailies, pvp, dungeons, raids or what?  Also do you progress your gear at endgame too?  Thanks for any tips.

There's no endgame in GW2. There's no dailies, no PvP gear to farm in sPvP (you have access to everything in sPvP), you can run dungeons to start getting gear for WvW and other dungeons if you want to play it, there's no raids too. The game has a really small gear progression once you hit max level and that's about it. Also once you hit max level, you either explore more of the world if you like that stuff, farm dungeons for gear with needed stats and easy gold, sPvP,  WvW and do the stuff related to the living story. No need to rush for max level in this game, just play at your own pace and do what you like the most. You get rewarded with xp for nearly everything you do.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

There are daily and monthly activities you can do, which give you a reward chest. You need to do 4 or 5 activities from a pool of about 10. Things like do 4 group events or kill 20 elites or craft so and so. Often you complete some or even all of them by just playing normally.

Another thing, your character will get scaled down if you do low level world boss or event, but you still get high level rewards (loot) for them. Most of them are pretty easy unless you only got a few people doing it but Teq the Sunless (world boss dragon)  apparently is hard since they changed him (I haven't done him since the change). Hard as in groups failing the event.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by SirFubar

There's no endgame in GW2. There's no dailies, no PvP gear to farm in sPvP (you have access to everything in sPvP), you can run dungeons to start getting gear for WvW and other dungeons if you want to play it, there's no raids too. The game has a really small gear progression once you hit max level and that's about it. Also once you hit max level, you either explore more of the world if you like that stuff, farm dungeons for gear with needed stats and easy gold, sPvP,  WvW and do the stuff related to the living story. No need to rush for max level in this game, just play at your own pace and do what you like the most. You get rewarded with xp for nearly everything you do.

Yes there are dailies. For quite a long time now lol. When the hell did you play last? There is a "Monthly" as well. GW2 is a highly structured currency grind where your progress - in gaining purely cosmetic items - is controlled by daily rewards in Laurels. Even high level crafting of Ascended craft items are on Daily timers now too. Arenanet is acutely aware that people are bored with their game and the bread crumb approach of Dailies was added to keep people logging in. They throttle your cosmetic item progress just enough to create tension so you breakdown and buy Gems in the Cash Shop.

GW2 endgame? grind baby grind. GW2 has more currencies than any MMO I've ever played. Oh the fanboys will be quick to point out..."but its not mandatory grind!!!" Well it is if you want something to do other than standing around in LA doing costume brawls lol

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Not to be rude, but if you're concerned about endgame, GW2 is most likely not the game for you.

There's a lot to do  at 'endgame', but the game isn't designed around that mentallity at all. People who mostly play MMOs to hit level cap get burnt out on this game fairly fast.

The game is more about exploration, customization, and skill. Less about who has the best loot (stat wise), setting up scheduled raids, etc. This is not to say these things don't happen, just that the game does not focus on them. At all.

It is still a good game, with lots to do, but it's mostly enjoyed by those who either like to take their time and do things at their own pace. Or those who are immersed in WvW / PvP.

There are dailies and such, but that's not a good reason to pick up a game, tbh.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Lets see.

You can PvP in arenas.

You can PvP in WvW.

You can farm to get materials and skins.

You can run instances to get materials and skins.

You can go after achievements, for titles and for the points to get achievement chests (every 500 points) that have loot, account wide bonuses and special skins once in a while.

You can max your magic find via luck.

You can do guild missions.

Alts.

So basically everything you do in other games.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Actually there's nothing at endgame imo. After zerging down a few bosses in Orr and then doing some zerging in WvW it got very boring very fast for me personally. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Lets see.

You can PvP in arenas.

You can PvP in WvW.

You can go after achievements, for titles and for the points to get achievement chests (every 500 points) that have loot, account wide bonuses and special skins once in a while.

Alts.

+ they can ditch the carrot-horse thing and actually have fun in the game, no looming shroud of "I HAVE TO GRIND GEAR TO MATTER" addiction anymore.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Wiha
    Actually there's nothing at endgame imo. After zerging down a few bosses in Orr and then doing some zerging in WvW it got very boring very fast for me personally. 

That's a person who obviously didn't play since a long time, if the only level 80 content he remembers is Orr.

My computer is better than yours.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by prayerless

Something like this guy said ;) IF you want mmorpg that actually has progression, something you can grind for, etc. Guild Wars 2 is not it. I played GW2 for 5 months, crafted 2 legendaries and sold my account. Go play game that has a future, guild wars 2 is about creating alts and alts and alts. Dont expect any expansion soon or EVET ... all you can look forward in gw2 are new shallow items from shop with limited ugly skins and outfits.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

PvP:

-Skin collection

-Rank up (access to more skins and emotes)

-Tourney Qualifications if you are really good

WvW

-Rank up

-Abilities (they're actually quite useful)

-WvW season 1 is currently going on

PvE

-Biweekly updates

-Dungeons

-Dailies/Monthlies

-Fractals

-Ascended Weapon Crafting (Rank 500 in weaponsmith, artificier, and/or huntsman)

-Guild Missions

-Just having fun

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The exact same things you've been doing.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bcbully

Hmm,...what game does that remind me of?  image

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by rodingo

Hmm,...what game does that remind me of?  image

Guild Wars 1?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by prayerless

Something like this guy said ;) IF you want mmorpg that actually has progression, something you can grind for, etc. Guild Wars 2 is not it. I played GW2 for 5 months, crafted 2 legendaries and sold my account. Go play game that has a future, guild wars 2 is about creating alts and alts and alts. Dont expect any expansion soon or EVET ... all you can look forward in gw2 are new shallow items from shop with limited ugly skins and outfits.

So you can only be entertained when devs hold a carrot in front of you and you start powergrinding 23/7 for new gear, then you do exactly the same again start again for tier 2, then you start again for tier 3, then you start again for tier 4, then you start again for tier 5.............tier 100.......tier 5000..............tier 12345645444............tier 6875748457584747565477564656.....................................

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Pretty much this. Replace power grind for cosmetic grind and achievement grind..... There is no real sense of progression in the normal sense. If that isn't important to you than this is a game for you.  

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Pretty much this. Replace power grind for cosmetic grind and achievement grind..... There is no real sense of progression in the normal sense. If that isn't important to you than this is a game for you.  

There is no real sense of progression in sPvP, only cosmetic. There is sense in progression for WvW, unless you're full ascended and legendary on all your toons.

This is good if you just want to play for a few hours a day. If you need a replacement for a real job/life then you're better off playing WoW of RIFT or something. Since the OP wants more casual and is done with hardcore, he could do a lot worse than GW2, in fact doing better will probably be next to impossible for quite a while.

imageimage
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

GW2 has all the same things to do as any other game at end game except organized raids. You still can grind for gear, do PvP etc. They have a living world event or two going at all times so there is 'new content' constantly. Having stuff to do is not an issue.

Most of the content is dumbed down and offers next to no challenge, there is no risk and the rewards aren't particularly high and the game goes out of the way to make sure players don't actually work together. If you have played the game from lvl 1 to 20 you've seen what you will be doing the entire game. If you like it then you can keep doing it, if you don't like it you quit.

At some point you'll have seen all the content, that is the point where you might feel there is nothing to do because at that point the living world events are the only new things you'll see.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

Heat is form of energy.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Lets see.

You can PvP in arenas.

You can PvP in WvW.

Alts.

That's the problem with it IMHO. I'll use my Dad's old saying: "We can put a man on the moon, but we can't do anything to change something like this (MMO grinds)?

With all of the genius' in the gaming industry, it looks like someone would have had a brainstorm on how to defeat the end game gear/rep. grind.

• Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    What I would like to know is what game has more than Guild Wars 2 at endgame? Because everybody is talking like they know of one..
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    GW2 is a MMO that you complete when you reach max level.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    The only endgame in GW2 really is endless farming for gear purely for cosmetic purposes so you can play barbie dressup with your toons with the transmute system, there is no real gear progression when it comes to stats. Full exotic gear is ridiculously easy to get, ascended is a very minor upgrade to exotic that doesnt take to long either really and Legendaries are more cosmetic than anything and take a ridiculous amount of time to grind. Fashion Grinding is pretty much the only thing there is.