Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Wishing for More Answers

2»

Comments

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Yet another mmo utterly destroyed by the payment structure put in place. I am done with any game that attempts to play me instead of me playing it and that is entirely the direction ALL non-sub games are going. It is the #1 destructive element to mmo development.

Just think about it for a moment. How can game play possibly be preserved when every addition to the game goes through the "how do we make money off this?" filter? It can't! Game play is game play. It MUST be 100% independent from the currency model to be a game. As soon as a developer considers how individual systems and items in game can make money the concept of the product being a game is destroyed.

It would be like a professional sport team fielding a player because he has more sponsors on his jersey over another player. At that point the game is destroyed and that is exactly what we are seeing in mmos today. Even the very thought of doing this alters how the game is played thereby destroying the concept of the game.

I concur very much. Just some additional differentiation might be helpful.

A payment model like TSW is about the fairest you can get in non competitive games. Buy to play and when you like it pay a reasonable amount of money for DLC packages which bring new content and systems. The amount if you buy all packages is equal to or even lower than a subscription. No restrictions on single game systems, shop contains only fashion and some convenience boost items. The later would not be ok in a competitive game, but in TSW they don't cause any problems.

I would not include payment models like this into your verdict.

On the other hand existing microtransaction models like for example in SWTOR or the announced one for AA do exactly what you say. They attempt to play the customer and milk it. The nagging in SWTOR is really the antithesis of how such a system should be done. At least AA has also competitive aspects which in the end will be only doable on a high level if you become a subscriber and then spit out some more money to buy all the advantages you need to conquer and hold territory. RL rich players ("Whales") will be courted regardless of their gaming qualities which is then the gaming equivalent to your professional sports metaphor.

• All i can say, XLGames and Trion better be hurry else people will get hooked to big upcoming MMOs that already on the way..
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

So it's like going to a fair and paying money for tickets to use for rides... dual currency!

Put the tickets on the market (at a loss for yourself )or trade for items to those who want to go on certain rides more.

*nod* my loose translation of a similar look on this currency thing!  *nod nod* I'm such a jeanius

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Is this game even coming out? I feel like it's been on MMORPG.com's "upcoming" list for years now.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Uronksur
    Is this game even coming out? I feel like it's been on MMORPG.com's "upcoming" list for years now.

Because it has been - literally.  What a debacle trying to get this game to the west.  Makes me really worried about ever seeing Black Desert get here and that looks way better than this game.

• ZocatZocat Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Victor Barreiro Jr.
    XL Games did not reach that level of inanity

Yeah, but your "column" did. Most insane rambling of incoherent structure I've read here.

And I read comments.

Sorry, you might have a valid point or whatever. But I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    So glad I did not invest my emotion in this at any phase.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Umm does not Trion now have a similar dual currency as well for Rift?

This article i feel left me more dumbed down for answers than the original post i read here.This article actually did nothing at all,other than to say a few questions were asked and took 2 weeks for a response that tells us nothing.

I think my point is that this article was a waste of time,should not have been done because in all truth ,there really is no article.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    Originally posted by lestus
    OP. I award you no points

We don't do anything as naff as awarding posters points on this site. As it stands there is genuine concern as to how effectively this would stop gold sellers. But I am sure AA will clear this up with an official response at a later stage. We may not like what they intend to do of course, but at least we will have a clear idea of what it is they intend to do.