Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does TESO have such a split reaction?

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I've only now started looking into the game, and have noticed something interesting on different forums and even Youtube videos. It seems that there is quite a divide between those who like how the game looks and those who don't. I'm wondering if anyone has a reason why?

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans? Does the game have some feature people don't like that I'm not aware of? So far, it looks quite interesting. I can understand the issue some people have with graphics, since TES tends to have realistic graphics for the time it's released - but for an MMO, it's generally understood graphics need to be scaled back due to the gargantuan size of the world and amount of people playing.

Anyone have any idea?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans?

yes

And those on the mmo side are concerned that it will be just another WoW clone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Well excluding the people who are disappointed you wont be able to install the naked patch....:)

yeah I think you've pretty much got it. So many people hoped they were just going to get a multiplayer skyrim and are instead getting a more generic mmo.

My money is on this being the next SWTOR around here. It might be a good game though :)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Even though I'm both an MMO gamer and a TES fan, I'm coming more from a TES point of view. For years, I've wanted to explore Tamriel with friends - maybe not even in a MMO format. I've wanted build houses, raid dungeons, experience the lore - actually roleplay that setting. I don't really think this game accomplishes that. If this were any other IP, I think it would be awesome. It has some nice features to it, but I'm afraid of a game that should be without boundaries being pigeonholed to fit MMOs. While I was initially hostile to this game, I've warmed up to it after beta. It was nice seeing some areas I've dreamed about for years. I'm still on the fence, though. Time will tell. 
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I've only now started looking into the game, and have noticed something interesting on different forums and even Youtube videos. It seems that there is quite a divide between those who like how the game looks and those who don't. I'm wondering if anyone has a reason why?

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans? Does the game have some feature people don't like that I'm not aware of? So far, it looks quite interesting. I can understand the issue some people have with graphics, since TES tends to have realistic graphics for the time it's released - but for an MMO, it's generally understood graphics need to be scaled back due to the gargantuan size of the world and amount of people playing.

Anyone have any idea?

I kinda fit into both catagories MMO player & Tes fan, 

i have more of a beef with the game costing $60 to buy and a $15 monthly fee on top of that when it could do with one or the other. 

well thats the feeling i got from the game during the weekend beta test i did weeks ago. 

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    I am a pretty big TES fan, started with Daggerfall, and a MMO player. To me - it was disappointing to see what they have come up with when their were other avenues that could of been taken. I said the same about SWTOR.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Well excluding the people who are disappointed you wont be able to install the naked patch....:)

yeah I think you've pretty much got it. So many people hoped they were just going to get a multiplayer skyrim and are instead getting a more generic mmo.

My money is on this being the next SWTOR around here. It might be a good game though :)

I'd agree. I've always felt SWTOR would have been better suited as a game similar to Mass Effect 3 - add some multiplayer events or activities, but keep the story. No reason to make it an MMO. I feel ESO would be better served as just a mutiplayer version of Skyrim. They're trying to resurrect the DAOC style playing - which is fine, but not for this IP. It's really disappointing to see the lack of factions in this game. Who knows, maybe more will be revealed.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Sovrath

yes

And those on the mmo side are concerned that it will be just another WoW clone.

this nails it on the head, but.... you know... the MMO crowd  as exemplified by those on these forums will be a SMALL, and yes, a VERY SMALL minority, its the huge number of console players that will flock to this game.

and frankly,  you guys should wake up, nearly every iteration of  a mmorpg  has been done already, so there no way to avoid any game being compared to  wow, eq, uo or anything in between.

therefore,  relax, see what happens, make your choice weather to play or not, and enjoy the ride, both in game and the forums

:)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

Anyone have any idea?

The game devs did a complete 180 gameplay flip and all their fans are pissed off.

I haven't been following the game all that closely but I do know TES has had a history of open world games and from what i have seem from forum complaints is that they made their MMO a linear quest grinder with zoned faction pvp.

It was like when the dragonball z mmo was announced and they first thing they said was saiyans were not a playable race and all their fans were in an uproar.

You can't build up a IP and then change the one aspect that made it popular in the first place.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

maybe because my skyrim with 200 mods look 4 times prettier ? I hope it have Morrowind game play felling a world of quest and lot of spins how may times i was doing main quests and was finishing in some ruins dungeons

if ESO will be this  then shut up and take my money !!

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Simply, because its the next generic clone in a long line of failures.

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

For me, it's not even about the graphics as it's an MMO so obviously ( DERP DERPS!) it can't have the quality graphics of Skyrim on a PC, mod or no mod. That being said, it's the overall play of the game, which in all honesty isn't at all Elder Scrolls.

Sure, they've got the races and the locations and are obviously feeding off of that on the fans but as an MMO it's nothing new. In fact I feel it falls pretty short in terms of an MMO especially when you throw in the fact it's suppose to be an Elder Scrolls mmo. The only thing that seemed Elder Scrolls for me was the lock picking and the fact they tried so hard to copy Skyrim in terms of its map and UI. Everything else, lack luster at best (quests, linear progression..)

Even if they just called this anything but TESO, I would say the same, game's lack luster on so many levels. Even their so called character customization, isn't as snappy or unique as it would seem. I still felt everyone looked pretty similar (if you were of the same race) especially gear wise as well. Heck, Vanilla WoW had more armor/wep skins from level 1-15 than TESO does, and that's saying A LOT.

I've beta tested and am not impressed at all and have no plans to purchase.

You reap what you sow.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

That is pretty much it. If they had created the MMO and NOT called it TES:O, it may have had a much greater reception.

Calling it TES:O brings in the The Elder Scrolls fans, but also brings in comparisons. The MMO pales in comparison to what the single player games do, as is expected with different types of games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    After seeing how great FFXIV looks, and how smooth the game runs, ESO graphics kinda dissapoint.
    Originally posted by cnutemp

Anyone have any idea?

The game devs did a complete 180 gameplay flip and all their fans are pissed off.

I haven't been following the game all that closely but I do know TES has had a history of open world games and from what i have seem from forum complaints is that they made their MMO a linear quest grinder with zoned faction pvp.

It was like when the dragonball z mmo was announced and they first thing they said was saiyans were not a playable race and all their fans were in an uproar.

You can't build up a IP and then change the one aspect that made it popular in the first place.

if you know anything about game design, and frankly, you don't, you would know that a limitless , non linear game is open to exploitation, and disaster.

having said that, teso does indeed try to make things non linear, after the starting areas. iots elder scrolls allright, but as close as they can get , without ruining it for everyone, and having a fail of a game

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i love skyrim and i still hop on to play it sometime whenever i feel like traveling the world.

however, with ESO, i feel like playing dragon quest style. there not much feeling of a big world. no feeling of living inside it. instead it became generic like many other game like Neverwinter online.

i still check out the game but i lost interested in it. i prefer they make skyrim with an online feature like GTA5. you just need to travel with 4-5 friend, that's enought. we dont need a WOW clone or neverwinter clone.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by Dkuang

For me, it's not even about the graphics as it's an MMO so obviously ( DERP DERPS!) it can't have the quality graphics of Skyrim on a PC, mod or no mod. That being said, it's the overall play of the game, which in all honesty isn't at all Elder Scrolls.

This is a common misconception thrown around to justify subpar MMO graphics. It could easily look like Real Vision/HD Skyrim if Bethesda took the time to optimize the range of graphic settings. But they don't even bother doing it with their single player games, leaving the modders to waste countless hours on what the developers should provide in the first place. 

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     So many uninformed people keep calling this a clone, what gives? A clone of what exactly, be specific if your going to throw around the detractors buzz word. I find the game fairly unique, it has some similarities with other title's but Teso is it's own game.
  • cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by killahh

Anyone have any idea?

if you know anything about game design, and frankly, you don't, you would know that a limitless , non linear game is open to exploitation, and disaster.

having said that, teso does indeed try to make things non linear, after the starting areas. iots elder scrolls allright, but as close as they can get , without ruining it for everyone, and having a fail of a game

I know nothing of game design? ouch! [mod edit] Relax bud I wont say anything bad about your favorite video game (i forgot people can get really protective on this site)  Can you give specifics on how the TESO devs are making things non-linear? I haven't been following the game much.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

The first time you finish the end of a quest killing a big mob, then walk by later and it has respawned, you realize you're in an MMO and not TES.

That aside it will definitely scratch that "Skyrim with friends" itch and will do well for just that. The majority of console gamers are used to spending $60 for 10-30 hours of content(TES games aside) without batting an eye. You will still get probably close to 200+ hours of TES gameplay with all 3 factions. The thing that surprised me the most was the graphics. Most of the streams/videos/screenshots online don't do it justice. It looks great. You can even give your character a fatty in char creation.

Most of the people complaining are F2P whiners and people still looking for a game to spend years in. This isn't either of those.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Eighteen16
    Originally posted by Dkuang

This is a common misconception thrown around to justify subpar MMO graphics. It could easily look like Real Vision/HD Skyrim if Bethesda took the time to optimize the range of graphic settings. But they don't even bother doing it with their single player games, leaving the modders to waste countless hours on what the developers should provide in the first place. 

I think you're correct in the assertion that MMO are capable of looking as great as last generation's games.   Though there are valid reasons for not doing such, such as wanting to include as many customers as possible.  Though even that pales in comparison to the need of many more developers to frequently update a game with incredible graphics.  The better the game looks, the longer quality patches will take if there isn't a huge team working behind it.  With a huge team comes a need for more subscribers and if that isn't met, the team is thinned out and the game is much more likely to be put into maintenance mode.

Some people are even hoping for a nice 2-d high budget modern MMO to come out one of these days.  The content updates would likely be awesome and frequent if it is given a lot of money to work with.  Hand drawn MMOs might be a nice niche to cash in on for some adventurous enough to seek them out (especially if they have great marketing and such).  It might even get to the point where they have to limit the content because there's too much and people are overwhelmed and don't know what to do.  Without buying out of the behind for graphics artists and the like, more could be spent on gameplay and systems and a real living world other than just picking and choosing a small area.

:3

Though I digress...

The MMO side and the Single Player side are colliding as was said.  There's also an expectation of both.  The single player fanbase is much larger  than the MMO fanbase that just happens to also like ESO (even if looking at console vs. pc sales and saying that 100% of the pc sales are MMO gamers) and they aren't used to paying monthly.   They're more used to DLCs and micro transactions.

I suspect that it's going subscription based to help pay for development costs and servers and then intend to go B2P or F2P shortly thereafter to appease the console / single player crowd and get a boost in players since it will likely be on the marketplace for the next gen consoles.  Though that's just the business side of me speaking.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

The division is MMO people want a MMO and the TES fans want a SKYRIM clone with MMO ablitys put on top.  They have done a good job at capturing some of the TES feeling but some parts of the TES games just wont transfer into a MMO so they have changed or removed some things to make the game work and people are not happy about that.

Originally posted by killahh
      Anyone have any idea?

I know nothing of game design? ouch! and the fangirl comes out swinging!  Relax bud I wont say anything bad about your favorite video game (i forgot people can get really protective on this site)  Can you give specifics on how the TESO devs are making things non-linear? I haven't been following the game much.

It's all good, NDA is what it is, there are many threads that discuss the game, you might like the read.
    As for fan boy, im a fan of a good game, and I cant see Beth screwing this up, especially when they can stay on the single player side of things and rake in the cash.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    because the idea of an elder scrolls mmo sounds awesome.  but a lot of what the developers have described doesn't sound awesome.
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that combat doesn't feel satisfying. Apparently, there aren't animations indicating when a weapon strikes an enemy, or deflects a blow, etc. Your character swings through things because there's no collision hit boxes and feels "floaty".

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

Not at all, the many people I know personally who actually tried it are huge fans of both and it disappointed them (and me) on both sides.  Those who like it good for you.  Those who have not tried it, I really recommend not jumping to any conclusions until you do.  The beta forums were a blood bath with complaints/fights, and the in game chat during the last major beta was very hostile and mixed.  I could go into a long list of general complaints but in all reality its just not a good game, and there is likely nothing that can be done about that at this point.  I am truly a huge Elder scrolls fan, have spent hundreds of hours in every game in their series (Morrowind is still my favorite game ever), I also have been playing MMO's since the late 90's.  I really wanted it to be good, it just isn't.