Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NSA Infiltrates WoW Looking for Terrorists?

DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Title says it all. Here is the news bite from RT on Youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljz68QZTXQo

"A new Edward Snowden release sheds light on a spy agency obsessed with online video games and the possibility of terrorists using them to plan attacks. Also, a new report surfaced revealing the FBI has the capabilities to hack into computer cams and collect live images. RT's Sam Sacks examines both tactics and questions whether or not the NSA is using their resources effectively."

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Comments

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Interesting.... Good thing I do not keep a camera attached to my computer :P

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Terrorists are real.

Just the other day I heard terrorists using Morse Code with car horns in traffic. Now, I have my very own gubment agent in my back seat to keep me safe.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

they heard WoW has a "sword of a thousdand thruths".

so obvioulsy they had to check which thruths are on that sword and which not... could have been an illegal thruth after all :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAdsq-RMg4c

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
     oy......
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Watch as multiple guilds with names like "J1h4d" or "lolqaida" get founded to troll the NSA agents . . .
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    This is why I have my phone, tablet, laptop, and gaming rig wrapped in tin-foil. I is gov'ment proofed...
  • ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I hate to put politics in this but, Libertarian Party people. Get Government outta your games. Vote Libertarian up and down the board.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185

I find it strange that so much money, time and resources gets poured into this issue given that they kill more of their own with guns each year for example.

Its like governments search for a wagon to hitch onto to keep them employed and the people distracted.

• DuffMcDDuffMcD Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Hopefully RMT bots in MMOs will become suspect for funding terrorist plots and get shut down faster... just need to put the idea out there and let the rest unravel... 
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    They heard that wow had killed the mmo genre and are searching for other terrorist acts.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Sephros
    They heard that wow had killed the mmo genre and are searching for other terrorist acts.

lol epic.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    I wonder what their reaction to Goldshire was.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    They heard that a goblin engineer built a  rocket launcher.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler
    This is why I have my phone, tablet, laptop, and gaming rig wrapped in tin-foil. I is gov'ment proofed...

For the love of the baby jeebus, don't forget the hat, man!  DON'T FORGET THE HAT!!!!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    All the good guys are playing other games. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I just saw this on my local news. They said there a couple of other games too, plus all the people on the Xbox network.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

On a somewhat related note...

MMOs, especially ones with a cash shop, are being used to launder money.  I've heard some crazy stories from producers and devs about organized crime in some Asian and European countries where the criminals get involved in not only using the game to launder money, but also getting addicted to the game and demanding changes from the developers lol. Even criminals can be gamers at heart :P

But anyways, I only bring this up because I could see these same criminals funneling money to terrorist. It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I already stated this a few times in game and got laughed at, months ago.

Well, neener neener. :)

Not to say these gamers don't deserve it. All kinds of PII is given out over game chat. If I was a dataminer, I would make bank recording all the gamer's info.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    More like some NAA guys got caught playing WoW on company time.....and this was their excuse

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    More like some NAA guys got caught playing WoW on company time.....and this was their excuse

No, cause then if leaked, it would be a big deal under operations and OPSEC. That would be "definitive" by nature, not "reportive" like the article is.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Nephelai

I find it strange that so much money, time and resources gets poured into this issue given that they kill more of their own with guns each year for example.

Its like governments search for a wagon to hitch onto to keep them employed and the people distracted.

This... And the media is their mouthpiece to make everyone afraid and think their taxpayer dollars are going to good use. 

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Your money well spent. Sad.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Do they need a court order to search a corpse?
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Sounds like someone mistook Taliban beards for neckbeards.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by ninjapy
    I hate to put politics in this but, Libertarian Party people. Get Government outta your games. Vote Libertarian up and down the board.

Don't be shy...much of this has to do with politics.

I'm torn on this.  One one hand, as much as people like to down play the existance of radical crazies, there are a significant number of people (of a particular faith system) that are of the mindset of "convert or die", and that killing a bunch of "innocent" people are a justifiable means to an ends.

There are examples, outside of the NY, London & Madrid events, that prove that.

I've always thought that online games & IP voice chat programs (Teamspeak, Ventrillo) were loopholes for nefarious communications...so it's interesting that they've been keen to this since 2008.

On the other hand, I think this dragnet approach of data gathering of anything & everthing, from just about everyone, lends itself to too many unintended consequences, given the power these snooping agencies have.

If the NSA found inelligence that a particular cell of terrorists were using WOW guild chat for communicating, then I'm okay with agents getting guilded and spying on their conversations.

BUT, going out there and getting access to all chat logs, etc, (in the way they are storing emails & SMS texts) is a different story entirely.

Regardless if you consider yourself a Democrat or Republican....there are forces within each party that are for authoritarianism, or a state controlled society....they just differ on what behaviors they want to socially engineer (using the power of the government)

It's becoming less and less about D vs R, and more about authoritative stateism vs personal liberty.