Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New "Division" vid: The future of graphics

ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/34843/108841/The_Division/Snowdrop-Engine-Trailer.html

It is not sure what sort of Online Game "The Division" will be, but it will certainly set a new standard, hell a plethora of new standards! Just watch it! It simply looks awesome.

Take that, Everquest Last... err Next! =P

I guess this ends the debate about "ohh by stylized lasts longer." Sorry peeps. This is photorealism now, which will never get old. We are close to the top of the line with this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    Ive always disliked the cartoon/unrealistic WoW look and  always favored a more realistic approach.  This looks amazinig.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Yeah Ubisoft is top dog right now in the graphics dept. Snowdrop engine is crazy good. They are slowly testing the mmo waters with each new game, adding more and more players online in their worlds. I predict this gen, Ubisoft announces a full on mmorpg. Then half the current mmo devs will just give up lol.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member

It looks amazing. Such a shame it is console only so far.

• adderVXIadderVXI st cloud, MNPosts: 639Member Uncommon

Ya well cartoony gfx hold up better over time!  /sarcasm off

If EQN did this approach i would never be more stoked for a mmo.  Shallow, perhaps, but i have eyes for a reason...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• adderVXIadderVXI st cloud, MNPosts: 639Member Uncommon
    Hell they sold one console on this video.....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TygranirTygranir Colordo Springs, COPosts: 741Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

NVM, I fail at reading

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Last I checked, the Division will also be on PC.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ForeverdreamForeverdream burkesville, KYPosts: 94Member
    I think snowdrop is a gimmick, They praise the lightning, as if it's some "new" thing. Sorry but Cryengine 3 has the same dynamic lightning. THE ONLY thing i like about this engine is it's weather. The rest has been done before and is really nothing "new" nor "next-gen" It might be next gen for consoles, but not for pc's.
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Last I checked, the Division will also be on PC.

it will? wow, will look stunning on a PC

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

That quality of graphics exist on PC since 5+ years already. Nothing new here.

It's nice, yes, but definitely not impressive, and definitely not any kind of future.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

It's nice, yes, but definitely not impressive, and definitely not any kind of future.

Sorry but... no it doesn't. Just no. Not all these things together, not all these details.

Are we just unable to we awed anymore? Must everything per definition be "meh"? Sorry if for once I just enjoy my childish awe.

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon

5+ years is stretching it a bit lol.. but yes this is nothing new from a PC gamer's perspective.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Canton, GAPosts: 55Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

It's on PC.

• ego13ego13 Reno, NVPosts: 267Member

Sorry but... no it doesn't. Just no. Not all these things together, not all these details.

Are we just unable to we awed anymore? Must everything per definition be "meh"? Sorry if for once I just enjoy my childish awe.

Agreed, there is NOTHING even close to this complete package out there even in the last year.  There are some things that do this in a mediocre way that taxes your system so much that you have to spend 1200 just on video cards to view it but showing EVERYTHING that they have, together, and playable on a console (which everyone constantly tries to say is less powerful than their PC) is truly amazing.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• HaitesHaites Los Angeles, CAPosts: 69Member

Now let's see whose computer can handle 50 players on the screen and heavy action.  Graphics is and has always been the least important factor in making an MMO good.

Looks good though!

You give your opinion, I give mine. I never told you how to behave, but since you post on a public forum, you have to accept that other people have different experiences than you and may therefore have different opinions.

It looks nice, yes. My eyes are still safe in their sockets, though, and my jaw still fixed to my head. I've seen games just as impressive these last years, notably with the CryoEngine.

And also maybe I'm more impressed by good and interesting gameplay than by graphics in my older age too. The graphics need to be ok, of course, and the animations good, but without good gameplay, all this is only an empty shell.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

Kind of agree too.

Especially how they render from snow to ice to tire tracks in the ice. The red backlights of the cop car reflecting in the puddle of water and the smoke.

The bridge with the incredible detail at the end.

It looked ridiculously good.

This is easily the best looking game I have ever seen.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,900Member Uncommon

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/34843/108841/The_Division/Snowdrop-Engine-Trailer.html

It is not sure what sort of Online Game "The Division" will be, but it will certainly set a new standard, hell a plethora of new standards! Just watch it! It simply looks awesome.

Take that, Everquest Last... err Next! =P

I guess this ends the debate about "ohh by stylized lasts longer." Sorry peeps. This is photorealism now, which will never get old. We are close to the top of the line with this.

The biggest hurdle for your theory is fidelity. It's this that becomes the most glaring fault as tech progresses. With every step it becomes harder to imagine another being necessary, until that step is taken. That's when last gen's steps start to look dated. It has a lot to do with the way in which we see, 20 years ago our TV's looked rather clear to us, until the next generation came to be reality. It's always been the same with gaming as well.

This is where the "cartoons hold up better" line of thinking comes from. They retain their fidelity in many cases years after their tech is irrelevant. The divisions graphics look great, that will be the case until something sharper comes to be.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,532Member Uncommon

Good looking for a console but nothing really new for PC players. Will be impressed if they can get that level of detail to flow good with the different levels of internet connections out there.

As for "photorealistic" and end of the line.... Not even close... Actually a lot of reflective surfaces looks worse then some PC games that are out already. And yes they will age... Badly... Why, well because "cartoony" does not strive for realism and the mind have a lot easier to deflect when it looks old. Realistic.. Well you got the most high def source to compare with every time you open your eyes... And that makes a big difference.

Still it is a very pretty game and i really hope it can deliver because it will be a bloody good experience... Just don´t try and make it something it is not.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon

I dont what people are talking about by saying theres been games like this on PC already.  Yes theres been plenty of games with great graphics and textures and all that, but nothing that has physics on this level where everything small and big like the car doors to its tires get effected by gameplay and player interaction with them.

I mainly play on PC but havent seen a game this stunning.  Not even crysis 3 or witcher 2.  Textures and anti-aliasing isnt everything.  This engine brings game physics to a whole new level.

By the way, the new "Tomb Raider" looks at least as good if not better. Granted, the scale and style are different, but the animations of the characters is just completely amazing, as well as the weather effects.

----------------

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

That does look fantastic and would probably run good with a small number of players around.  Photo realism is great, but the "cartoon" stylized graphics perform better in an MMO setting with potentially 100s of players on screen.

• KilrainKilrain Prineville, ORPosts: 684Member Uncommon
    While the graphics on a game like Division are amazing, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Game companies have a production time, and both games have focused on two completely different styles of game play. While it is entirely possible to create a game that plays like EQ Next, but looks like Division, the development time would be exponential and the company would not likely see a positive return. At least not in any realistically acceptable time frame.

professional web programming and design.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Haites

Now let's see whose computer can handle 50 players on the screen and heavy action.  Graphics is and has always been the least important factor in making an MMO good.

Looks good though!

50 players on screen at a time is not really that many tbh, even for a FPS, games like Planetside 2 manage several hundred at a time in the same area, but one thing i really do disagree on, graphics is not the least important factor of a game, particularly an MMO, quite often it is the one feature that the game will live or die by, how good a game looks visually will always be a huge factor, imo at least, and i doubt im the only one, the days when you need a high end rig to display full hd graphics are long gone. So bring on more games with 'the division' level of graphics, yes it's not exactly new, but it is most definitely very welcome, and will be a huge selling point. The fact that it looks to be a good game too will also help image

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

I would really like to see some PC games that look better than this. Im not doubting they are out there, Id just love to see them. And please spare me the $1000+ flight sim software. Id like to see an actual game like an action adventure game or rpg that looks better than The Division. I know of that community driven racing sim which looks close in car models to this game, but the backgrounds are still sub par.