Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New "Division" vid: The future of graphics

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/34843/108841/The_Division/Snowdrop-Engine-Trailer.html

It is not sure what sort of Online Game "The Division" will be, but it will certainly set a new standard, hell a plethora of new standards! Just watch it! It simply looks awesome.

Take that, Everquest Last... err Next! =P

I guess this ends the debate about "ohh by stylized lasts longer." Sorry peeps. This is photorealism now, which will never get old. We are close to the top of the line with this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive always disliked the cartoon/unrealistic WoW look and  always favored a more realistic approach.  This looks amazinig.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Yeah Ubisoft is top dog right now in the graphics dept. Snowdrop engine is crazy good. They are slowly testing the mmo waters with each new game, adding more and more players online in their worlds. I predict this gen, Ubisoft announces a full on mmorpg. Then half the current mmo devs will just give up lol.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It looks amazing. Such a shame it is console only so far.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Ya well cartoony gfx hold up better over time!  /sarcasm off

If EQN did this approach i would never be more stoked for a mmo.  Shallow, perhaps, but i have eyes for a reason...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Hell they sold one console on this video.....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

NVM, I fail at reading

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Last I checked, the Division will also be on PC.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I think snowdrop is a gimmick, They praise the lightning, as if it's some "new" thing. Sorry but Cryengine 3 has the same dynamic lightning. THE ONLY thing i like about this engine is it's weather. The rest has been done before and is really nothing "new" nor "next-gen" It might be next gen for consoles, but not for pc's.
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Last I checked, the Division will also be on PC.

it will? wow, will look stunning on a PC

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

That quality of graphics exist on PC since 5+ years already. Nothing new here.

It's nice, yes, but definitely not impressive, and definitely not any kind of future.

Sorry but... no it doesn't. Just no. Not all these things together, not all these details.

Are we just unable to we awed anymore? Must everything per definition be "meh"? Sorry if for once I just enjoy my childish awe.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's nice, yes, but definitely not impressive, and definitely not any kind of future.

5+ years is stretching it a bit lol.. but yes this is nothing new from a PC gamer's perspective.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

It's on PC.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

Sorry but... no it doesn't. Just no. Not all these things together, not all these details.

Are we just unable to we awed anymore? Must everything per definition be "meh"? Sorry if for once I just enjoy my childish awe.

Agreed, there is NOTHING even close to this complete package out there even in the last year.  There are some things that do this in a mediocre way that taxes your system so much that you have to spend 1200 just on video cards to view it but showing EVERYTHING that they have, together, and playable on a console (which everyone constantly tries to say is less powerful than their PC) is truly amazing.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69

Now let's see whose computer can handle 50 players on the screen and heavy action.  Graphics is and has always been the least important factor in making an MMO good.

Looks good though!

Kind of agree too.

Especially how they render from snow to ice to tire tracks in the ice. The red backlights of the cop car reflecting in the puddle of water and the smoke.

The bridge with the incredible detail at the end.

It looked ridiculously good.

This is easily the best looking game I have ever seen.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/34843/108841/The_Division/Snowdrop-Engine-Trailer.html

It is not sure what sort of Online Game "The Division" will be, but it will certainly set a new standard, hell a plethora of new standards! Just watch it! It simply looks awesome.

I guess this ends the debate about "ohh by stylized lasts longer." Sorry peeps. This is photorealism now, which will never get old. We are close to the top of the line with this.

The biggest hurdle for your theory is fidelity. It's this that becomes the most glaring fault as tech progresses. With every step it becomes harder to imagine another being necessary, until that step is taken. That's when last gen's steps start to look dated. It has a lot to do with the way in which we see, 20 years ago our TV's looked rather clear to us, until the next generation came to be reality. It's always been the same with gaming as well.

This is where the "cartoons hold up better" line of thinking comes from. They retain their fidelity in many cases years after their tech is irrelevant. The divisions graphics look great, that will be the case until something sharper comes to be.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Good looking for a console but nothing really new for PC players. Will be impressed if they can get that level of detail to flow good with the different levels of internet connections out there.

As for "photorealistic" and end of the line.... Not even close... Actually a lot of reflective surfaces looks worse then some PC games that are out already. And yes they will age... Badly... Why, well because "cartoony" does not strive for realism and the mind have a lot easier to deflect when it looks old. Realistic.. Well you got the most high def source to compare with every time you open your eyes... And that makes a big difference.

Still it is a very pretty game and i really hope it can deliver because it will be a bloody good experience... Just don´t try and make it something it is not.

This have been a good conversation

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I dont what people are talking about by saying theres been games like this on PC already.  Yes theres been plenty of games with great graphics and textures and all that, but nothing that has physics on this level where everything small and big like the car doors to its tires get effected by gameplay and player interaction with them.

I mainly play on PC but havent seen a game this stunning.  Not even crysis 3 or witcher 2.  Textures and anti-aliasing isnt everything.  This engine brings game physics to a whole new level.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

That does look fantastic and would probably run good with a small number of players around.  Photo realism is great, but the "cartoon" stylized graphics perform better in an MMO setting with potentially 100s of players on screen.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    While the graphics on a game like Division are amazing, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Game companies have a production time, and both games have focused on two completely different styles of game play. While it is entirely possible to create a game that plays like EQ Next, but looks like Division, the development time would be exponential and the company would not likely see a positive return. At least not in any realistically acceptable time frame.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Haites

Now let's see whose computer can handle 50 players on the screen and heavy action.  Graphics is and has always been the least important factor in making an MMO good.

Looks good though!

50 players on screen at a time is not really that many tbh, even for a FPS, games like Planetside 2 manage several hundred at a time in the same area, but one thing i really do disagree on, graphics is not the least important factor of a game, particularly an MMO, quite often it is the one feature that the game will live or die by, how good a game looks visually will always be a huge factor, imo at least, and i doubt im the only one, the days when you need a high end rig to display full hd graphics are long gone. So bring on more games with 'the division' level of graphics, yes it's not exactly new, but it is most definitely very welcome, and will be a huge selling point. The fact that it looks to be a good game too will also help image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I would really like to see some PC games that look better than this. Im not doubting they are out there, Id just love to see them. And please spare me the $1000+ flight sim software. Id like to see an actual game like an action adventure game or rpg that looks better than The Division. I know of that community driven racing sim which looks close in car models to this game, but the backgrounds are still sub par.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by tawess

Good looking for a console but nothing really new for PC players. Will be impressed if they can get that level of detail to flow good with the different levels of internet connections out there.

As for "photorealistic" and end of the line.... Not even close... Actually a lot of reflective surfaces looks worse then some PC games that are out already. And yes they will age... Badly... Why, well because "cartoony" does not strive for realism and the mind have a lot easier to deflect when it looks old. Realistic.. Well you got the most high def source to compare with every time you open your eyes... And that makes a big difference.

Still it is a very pretty game and i really hope it can deliver because it will be a bloody good experience... Just don´t try and make it something it is not.

Show some screenshots of games with those reflective surfaces with a side by side comparisons with division.  This game looks way better than any game I have played on PC which is a long list of games including Crysis 3 and Witcher 2.  This game has a lot more to it than just reflective surfaces.  What about the detail of physics in the world.

Originally posted by tawess

Good looking for a console but nothing really new for PC players.

psssh

just say it, it looks amazing lol

Originally posted by Distopia

The biggest hurdle for your theory is fidelity. It's this that becomes the most glaring fault as tech progresses. With every step it becomes harder to imagine another being necessary, until that step is taken. That's when last gen's steps start to look dated. It has a lot to do with the way in which we see, 20 years ago our TV's looked rather clear to us, until the next generation came to be reality. It's always been the same with gaming as well.

This is where the "cartoons hold up better" line of thinking comes from. They retain their fidelity in many cases years after their tech is irrelevant. The divisions graphics look great, that will be the case until something sharper comes to be.

Ok, I admit, my ideal game is the Holodeck. A 100% realistic virtual reality which is as real as reality itself. I always saw not-realistic graphics only because they weren't able to make it, in the past. Sure there may be a niche in Super Mario and other kid games, but for me as adult gamer, the Holodeck is what I want. 100% realism. I always saw everything before only a a step on a permanent development towards photorealism and virtual reality. *shrug*

Once we have that, we can still talk about content, game concept asf.

Take HD TV: it is almost realistic as real, so it won't age the same way 1980ies TV aged, simply because there ISN'T much more, the way has almost reach the top, and from there, there simply IS NO hypothetical improvement left. So we completed this development. It's like the wheel: once it is perfected, it stays as it is. That is the idea of perfection: is a peak form which all movement would be deterioration.