Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO - Combat/End-Game Overview

As the title states, I do a simple overview on Elder Scrolls online combat/end-game. This information was gathered from around the net, so feel free to search for the information yourself if you can't stand the sound of my voice...

You can watch my video on YouTube here, if you prefer not to read: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywzxy3tLBP0&feature=youtu.be

The combat system is quite intuitive, and blocking will play a main role in this game. All players can wear any type of armor, whether they are a caster in heavy armor, or a tank in light armor (which doesn't make sense) but can still be done! :)

I'm not sure how I feel about every class being able to wear every armor - I mean, there has to a point where this just can't work... because you still need certain roles when running dungeons and so on and so forth - opinions?

The ability to block will be an important combat asset, and it will remain separate from the skills placed in slots. It allows players to deflect incoming attacks and interrupt spells. A well-timed block can be strategically utilized to dampen damage or even stagger opponents. Additionally you get an ultimate ability and the ability to charge up more powerful versions of attacks. The ultimate ability is charged by performing in battles and earning finesse. Use the ultimate carefully, as it takes time to recharge.

Working together with others will be encouraged because it opens doors to cross-class combos.

Due to being an online game, there will be latency involved. Therefore the combat system will not be the same real time combat the Elder Scrolls games are known for. The Stamina Bar will be the main focus in battles. Use the Stamina Bar to Sprint, Block, Interrupt, and break Incapacitating Effects. All these effects will vary by class.

Standard 5 man dungeons will be in the game, with heroic and normal versions of each. There will be multiple kinds of public dungeons for players to take advantage of.

Real PvP starts once you turn level 50. Maxed out skills, gear, allows you to really take advantage of players and skills.

Adventure Zones - Similar to traditional raids, you enter the zone and become part of an interesting story with set end goals. When you finish your factions zones you can go to other factions zones and complete those! Each faction has 150 hours of adventure zones to take advantage of.

Master Dungeons - Elder Scrolls Online has a very interesting dungeon system. When you play the game at level 

1 – 49 you visit different dungeons and complete different quests there. But as soon as you reach 50th level 

you can return to the dungeon that was already visited by you at a lower level. You will find new areas 

available for exploration there and new quests to take. It is basically the same dungeon but different.

This game is packed with end game content, so getting bored doesn't seem like an option in ESO.

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

There are 16 group dungeons while leveling with 5 or 6 that continue on at level 50 with a new master level dungeon extension.  

You can begin to PvP at level 10 with PvE there as well to level and gain skills. You don't have to wait till level 50.

Adventure zones are for 2 to 12 with the last interview. Some areas will be for small groups and others for large. It has nothing to do with the 150 hours and the other factions. Adventure zones will be in there own zones. Not the faction areas. The 150 hours is an estimate for completing one factions questing. Once you finish your story arc, you can then jump into another faction for questing at level 50 with all 50+ mobs. Then again when you finish the story a second time for level 50++ mobs in the 3rd faction questing area.

I do agree though, the end game will have more options than many of the new MMO's that have launched. The PvP will be the main draw, but Master dungeons, Adventure zones, the solo/duo 50+ and 50++ will be big. All giving you a way to continue to progress your character through Veteran points from each option for gear and skill points to continue to earn new skills and shape the way you want to play. Allowing for builds on the fly for fighting in different situations. Like being able to get undead fighting skills if you run across a bunch of undead in PvP. Should be fun.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• RampajiRampaji Member Posts: 50

What you write about here - makes me even more ready to play this game! :) Thanks for posting

OM Shanti :)

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

The 'problem' is it looks like the same content just scaled. All games have turned to that as a way to make it seem like there is more content than there really is.

While it is a good idea on the surface it still isnt an answer. Especially in this day and age when it is mostly about loot. Not to everyone but most. So if these places dont have a couple unique pieces then people will likely do them once or twice and then forget about them. But on the flip side if the pieces they drop are tough to get then theyre 'a grind'. Fine balance.

IMO games need to turn to rewards system based on effort and 'dedication' where you earn a score for each encounter based on what you do how you do it, and in comparison maybe to other people. It might seem like a grind but at least you have an idea of where you stand in getting whatever it is youre looking to get.  Then as you finish a tier it can be scaled then, and rewards can improve, mobs can actually change and maybe landscape, due to phasing could/would also change.

It would have to be a system that also allowed players to go backwards as well so they wouldnt phase themselves out of old content. But also disallow the more advanced players to dominate and pull through others trying to catch them up. So rewards/gear would have to scale back to previous tier as well.

Probably a pipe dream and probably never happen. But simply making 5 dungeons or encounters tha play the exact same way and just have mobs ranging from levels 30 to 60 isnt going to keep peoples interest any length of time.

Games need to re-introduce a goal oriented system that isnt based on gear. Give players a sense of accomplishment and give them something to do that isnt a grind or at least doesnt seem like it.

So 'building' things is the simplest way. You run around an empty city doing things, and as you do things quest givers appear or merchants appear or crafting nodes appear. Phasing is nothing new but getting multiple layers is something I havent seen a lot of games fully utilize. It also has to be semi random r decision based so people just cant do it once and write a guide and eliminate the effort put into developers in 'creating' content. It also introduces a replayability factor because unless you record it or write it down if youre given a choice you arent going to follow the exact same path every time, nor would you really want to.

Anyway I got on a slight rant there. But the point is still the same, scaled content isnt in depth content or even close to enough content to keep people interested for any extended period.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

450 adventure zones.... which is essentially the ESo story based version of a raidzone...

Thats a huge amount of endgame

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Will there be Australian/Asian servers or will aussies effectively be locked out of endgame content with 300 ping?

I love the idea of blocking being important but cringe at the thought of the aggro from trying to do so in a group when I have high ping.

If its US/EU servers only, please consider hosting some servers on the WEST coast of the US, that way we can get about 180 ping.

Thank you.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• caleb-calvertcaleb-calvert Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by marcust

Will there be Australian/Asian servers or will aussies effectively be locked out of endgame content with 300 ping?

I love the idea of blocking being important but cringe at the thought of the aggro from trying to do so in a group when I have high ping.

If its US/EU servers only, please consider hosting some servers on the WEST coast of the US, that way we can get about 180 ping.

Thank you.

Ugggh, this does sound nasty... Since blocking will be important, there will definitely be west servers though, I believe. Although - they are talking about having one big server, actually, so where it is located could make you SOL.

As far as the faction adventure zones - if you move from one faction to the next, do you not get another 150 hours of adventure zones?? Or did I get the wrong information and put it in my video?

Originally posted by caleb-calvert

Thank you.

Ugggh, this does sound nasty... Since blocking will be important, there will definitely be west servers though, I believe. Although - they are talking about having one big server, actually, so where it is located could make you SOL.

As far as the faction adventure zones - if you move from one faction to the next, do you not get another 150 hours of adventure zones?? Or did I get the wrong information and put it in my video?

With one big mega server for a world wide game, we can safely asume that the blocking part and the real time combat calculations is done on your client..

So get your hackingtools out.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by caleb-calvert

Thank you.

The Adventure zones are zones for group play. Not the same as the 1 to 50 questing areas from what I have seen.

So the 150 hours is for one factions questing area from 1 to 50.  At level cap, after finishing your story, you can go to another factions area in an instance just for level 50's and play through a second factions quests for another 150 hours.  The mobs will be 50+ and only other level 50's from your faction will be there. Then do it a 3rd time after completing the story for the 2nd faction for another 150 hours at 50++.

The 50+ and 50++ content is for those who want to see all the faction quests on a single character. You will gain Veteran points for end game gear and continue to earn skill points to progress your character. It can be done solo or in a group. But they did say that you may not be able to complete the 3rd faction without help. The Adventure zones are for group play and are going to be more along the lines of raids.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

the biggest question remaining however..

Will there be gearprogression or character skillprogression in the endgame content?

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

the biggest question remaining however..

Will there be gearprogression or character skillprogression in the endgame content?

We know from the dev interviews that we will only have about 30% of our skills by level 50. So endgame will be all about the continuation of skill collection and working on builds, finding new skills and progression. The same type of gear stat wise is said to come from PvP, Master dungeons, Adventure zones, Crafting and the 50+/50++ content. You will earn Veteran points while doing any or all of the end game options to allow you to buy end game gear.

We know that two more guilds will be introduced after launch. The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild. Those will bring in new skills. We don't know when you can become a Vampire or Werewolf and earn skills for those. I would imagine content updates and expansions will bring in more skills. So gear and skill progression should be a big part of end game content IMO.

R.A.Salvatore