Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite "Moment in Time" in an mmo...

Comments

• SchnizleSchnizle Member Posts: 14

I have had a lot of great moments in MMORPGs, over the years.  If I had to pick one moment, it would be the Meridian 59 beta (1996), since it introduced me to 3D MMORPGS and it was fun.

A close second would be Vanilla WoW, since it was such a challenge. 

I miss the old school games, like Ultima Online and Shadowbane, that let you steal from and kill other players ;)   There are too many rules in MMORPGS, nowadays.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I watched the tera video to see and jesus christ this guy is annoying, and not regular annoying, more like... watching this makes me want to put a bullet through my skull. Soo. Yeah...
    He has his moments but I'd rather not torture myself like this.
  • AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Best memory was definately from Everquest....My guild and I were grabbing the pieces to my staff of the wheel for ice comet and I was on the last piece at erud's crossing.  I brought my ranger friend because we had heard tales of the shark we had him on tracking but the water was pitch black.  I had an idea where the rod was from a friends description and we were well on the way.  The ranger was giving constant updates on the proximity of the shark and we managed to find the rod.  As I go to grab it, the ranger says "I think he's close" I didn't even have time to reply GOT IT! when the shark killed the ranger, then the cleric and finally i got us ported out.  After a corpse run and a good laugh I got the staff and ice comet.  Good times.

Love stories like that!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Seeing my very first jedi in star wars galaxies.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

our player town in SWGpreNGE had finally gotten their first Rebel outpost. we had it for several weeks when the Imperials decided to take it down one day...well that day didnt quite go as planned. their hour assault turned into a 48 hour brawl. we defended that base till we were, irl exhausted, they had more players they could call on that had slept in the previous 2 days.

it was a great time on both sides and one i wont soon forget.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Alasti

Did anyone ever play "See who could walk from one end of Kelethin to the other" (in the trees obviously) with a level 1 toon while they were drunk?  Remember when the screen actually got Hell-of fuzzy and you would get "tunnel-vision'?  My guild did this several times....Fun times!!

Oh man, I had many a time back in the day where I would go out on a Friday night and have one too many and them come home and jump into Ultima Online. I would log in on Saturday some time and find whatever character I had played, dead and laying in a field somewhere ... or in a dungeon or some odd place completely stripped of armor and weapons wondering wtf happened.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Iczer
    Originally posted by Alasti

Did anyone ever play "See who could walk from one end of Kelethin to the other" (in the trees obviously) with a level 1 toon while they were drunk?  Remember when the screen actually got Hell-of fuzzy and you would get "tunnel-vision'?  My guild did this several times....Fun times!!

Oh man, I had many a time back in the day where I would go out on a Friday night and have one too many and them come home and jump into Ultima Online. I would log in on Saturday some time and find whatever character I had played, dead and laying in a field somewhere ... or in a dungeon or some odd place completely stripped of armor and weapons wondering wtf happened.

Damn Iczer that gave me such a good laughimage

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I signed up for lotro 7 day trial.

I created an Elf starting in evandim (I think that was the name, this was in 2007).

I finished the first few quests around town and then was sent out to the wild. the graphics blew me away. Beautiful sunset while running through a forest by a lake and mountains. I was hooked on the scenery.

Bought a lifetime pass and played a little over 2 years. Well worth the money in my opinion.

• Favorite time is probably the first time I casted bonfire and killed an entire zoo in LOK on Kesmai -1, Kolbolds screaming, Skeleton bones hitting the floor, I have been addicted to AOE spells ever since...
  • JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142

One from a recent game, Age of Wushu which I only played for a few months:

Roleplaying a drunk beggar, I would use any and every excuse I could come up with to get people to part with a few coins. Most didn't, a few did! It was amazing just witnessing the way some players were so willing to lend a helping hand, and others completely and totally selfish. Well, my character would scream and yell and call people all kinds of rude names, but was very friendly to those who helped her out. Never resorted to violence.

One day I was out begging and noticed a group of red named characters just outside of town pwning newbies for fun and laughing. The red names meant these guys were criminals, having killed so many innocent players they would be automatically sent to prison the moment anyone heroic enough took them down. Well, who was I to judge, criminal, upstanding merchant, heroes . . . they all had money. So I approached them and started begging. Well that really pissed them off. They gave me a warning, which I ignored, and then the next thing I knew I was being tossed about like a rag doll. It was funny to watch, I just continued to roleplay, begging them mid-air to wait until I'd had a few more drinks at least! After it appeared my death was imminent, I began to fight back, and next thing I know I'm completely destroying these guys. I'm like, wait . . . wtf? This is a mmo, right? Not a Jackie Chan movie . . . but it sure felt like a movie. One by one I sent these guys to prison, they were so confused. The final dude who had first attacked me started to run for his life, prison meant he couldn't play the game until his sentence was paid in full. I yelled, "I just wanted a few coins!" but he wouldn't listen, so I finished him off. I later went to the prison to visit them, they all agreed they'd give me a few coins as soon as they got out.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Drunken Fu is one of my favourite kinds of fu, but begging? Have some self respect. :)
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Ultima Online: (note: I discovered and played only a bit Pre-AoS and then full-on in AoS) 

In no order...

1. The time my bard peaced an enemy guild's white wyrm during a Lord Oaks champion spawn.

2. The time my guild raided champion spawn on the Island and left the enemy guild dead and boat-less.  Did this many times, but the first time was the best!

3. The time I tamed my first mare with out dying 6x.  

4. The time I (finally) GM'd poisoning.

WoW:

1. Getting my level 40 mount on my Undead.  Seemed like it took forever and I had to wait weeks after hitting level 40 before I could afford it.

2. Working on the Benediction/Anathema quest line.

3. Impromptu WPvP when questing in Hillbrad/Arathi area.

4. Remembering exactly where I was in Scholomance when I dinged 60. 

5. Reading "LF2M Scarlet Strat" in Org chat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

This thread gets a zillion +1s.  Love it!

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Here is another one, DAOC again.

I was about level twenty two when you needed to be about level 40 for it to be worthwhile to try out realm versus realm. But I went along to the keep anyway, was there anything I could do? "Well you could scout ahead and see if the Norse are coming", I was told. "But if they see you, then you are dead" and we did not rezz a 2 min run away to any location in game in those days.

Ok I thought at least I can do something. As I went down to this valley and lake that led to the keep it occurred to me that I could stand inside a tree! They had not fixed that and no one would be able to see me. I found a good tree, part of my shoulder and shield stuck out, but I angled that away from where they would come. I was an Armsman, if an Assassin (Norse version) had been sneaking around I would have been done for. But I got away with it.

I had been told they might send a couple of guys down our way just to make it seem they were going to attack the keep we were holding. Ten minutes of waiting and a couple of Dwarves come down the trail, I report in via zone text (my faction only). They reach the lake then hang about a minute then turn back. So far so good, the big Hibernian in the suit of plate is invisible to one and all!

Five minutes later the Norse came. And did the come. A horde of them, sweeping up the valley, far too many for the trail they nearly touched the zone walls. I got my report in. "They are coming, loads of them!" How many, I was asked. "Too bloody many to count!" They thanked be and prepared for the onslaught.

When you have an arm and shield sticking out of a tree and one Dwarf after another and then one Troll after another passes you, you are going to get noticed. I lasted about five seconds as a several attacks from guys who were 40+ smacked into my Armsman. I was later told we had repulsed them that evening.

That was the abbreviated end to my first realm versus realm evening, but I was hooked for good.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    My first experiences of WOW vanilla- or maybe a month later when I joined my first (and best) guild.  
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Seeing my very first jedi in star wars galaxies.

Killing my first Jedi as a Bounty Hunter in SWG image

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

So many great times in EQ and to some extent Planetside 1. Prominent memories are the first time I zoned to West Commons from Freeport, and seeing a forest not far off, and a young puma jogging gracefully nearby. Next, were being awed by sand giants and hill giants. And of course much later in the game learning of Vox and Nagafen. I was a true noob and didn't learn of ports or dragons until long after my first login.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    It's extremely difficult to pick a single one, so I'll grab one that came up recently in conversation.In UO, one of my characters was a murderous environmentalist. I roleplayed the character rather strictly, right down to personal restrictions on armor and weapons, but since I was often killing players, I was always trying to gauge (and adjust accordingly) to what degree the character may be having a positive or negative impact on the community.Well, one day this guy was traveling the shops in the forest and I recognized who it was, which created one of those problems one comes across when roleplaying a murderer. From a roleplayed point of view, he defied my character's warning and now surely deserved a swift death. From a not-being-an-ass point of view, this guy isn't much of a fighter and not only would it be no challenge to kill him but it probably isn't going to be much fun for him either, especially since this would be the second time this week.My character had little interest in speaking with people, but a bit of banter seemed the best course of action here, so I ambushed him and brought him to near death then stopped to relay a 'final ultimatum'. While it *seemed* to have gone well, it's really hard to tell sometimes if someone is roleplaying along with you or if they genuinely are pleading for their life, as some truly view attacking their character as attacking them. Several days later, when reading the server community's 'newspaper' I got my answer. In it there was an article by that very fellow, writing about his encounter in the forest.http://themess.com/manhunter/gallery/Chiemra990407.html Thinking about it, my entire time on the Pacific server was an incredible experience, as many of my favorite moments in MMOs come from not just UO, but that specific server.

Incredible story, Lok. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Wicoa
    Central keep take in daoc everyone of them.Planetside 1 Last line of defense for 2 hours in basement. Unit held and pushed them out.

Kudos. Planetside1 had some epic battles for sure. Bridge battles that could last for hours, or fortress sieges that lasted for days. Long live PS1.

Originally posted by trancefate
    As I'm sure many others feel, I will never forget the first time I made a trip across Norrath.

Indeed, the variety of players; the variety and ferociousness of creatures was amazing; as was time spent on the Boats.

Originally posted by Bamboozled
    killed by bats while killing a bat IRL

OMG great story ROFL!!

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    ...Similarly for me with EQ. All those people were real people! And from many varying countries, too. My jaw hit the floor when one of my guildmates said he was from Denmark! I was flabbergasted :) (His English was better than most of our (American) own :) )

Amazing for me too. Friends from so many countries. One of which I still keep in touch with! Someone also who stands out when I was new to the game is talking to a player who claimed to be the CEO of Sony in Japan. I believed him but didn't make a big deal out of it, other than saying wow that's cool, lol.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

The moment for me that will forever stand out is from Dungeons & Dragons Online. Running Vault of Night pt. 3: Jungles of Khyber. There is a section where you face off against some beholders, with the possibility of a couple of rare mobs. Was playing cleric for an elite run with five guildies. A near wipe left me, at the bottom of the right side ramp, trying to stave off agro from a rare beholder and raise my fallen party. With their soulstones too far away, I was forced to try and sneak into range. Stealth is not my clerics strong suit. So, rare sees me and starts chasing me. I duck behind a pillar and raise one of my teammates. As the beholder comes around the pillar, I move to keep the pillar between the beholder and myself. This goes on for about five minutes, me playing "ring around the rosie" with a monster while raising and buffing my team....to die as soon as they attack him to get him off of me...gotta love rolling a 1

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The first time I did LFR for Deathwing raid .. finally raiding without any need for a guild, or even to stick around a group i don't like.

That is what a game should be (for me, of course) ...

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

More EQ: Being charmed by an Evil Eye and led around for 5 minutes deep into Beholder's Maze; being terrified by Borxx in Runnaye. I could list 100 more but will stop here.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Never played Planetside...I wish I had...lots of people talk about that game
  • shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

All my favorite MMO memories are from pre-CU SWG:

-- my favorite "newbie" memory: getting stuck on Endor as a newbie entertainer/crafter, until someone came along that was kind enough to give me some credits, because I wanted to live near the Ewoks so I went there as soon as I could afford the trip to the planet but didn't know the mechanics of the game yet (player cities weren't allowed on Endor, there was no way for a newbie entertainer to make money on Endor)

-- mission groups that formed in Anchorhead, usually for squills, before solo groups became popular

-- the process of taming pets (hoping for a baby to pop from a lair, hoping the tame command would be successful, collecting certain types of pets..*sigh* at recalling the "monkey" collection I had on one toon) plus the fun of having and using pets

-- player cities that were not instanced and that served a purpose

-- being able to go totally non-combat roles if one chose and the dependency players had on each other with the community that developed as a result (plus player economy)

-- making connections between the game and the movies  (when Luke said he'd shot a certain type of animal, I now knew what he was talking about because I'd hunted them too)

-- doing stuff as a guild without any level restrictions because there were no levels

-- seeing a fambaa (or other large animals) for the first time when it was dark and thinking "what the heck did I just get myself into?"

-- being able to create my own story (none of this "you are THE hero in this story, just ignore the fact that a bunch of other people are doing the same thing or have the same 'special one-of-a-kind so be careful with it' item" stuff)

-- the interesting conversations among entertainers who weren't afk

-- having a reason to have three accounts (alts) because of the variety of professions (a combat toon, a crafting toon, and an entertaining toon), unlike most MMOs these days where creating alts doesn't matter because crafted items are worthless and, no matter what combat class or race one chooses eventually (sometimes rather quickly) the quest lines are going to merge and you will just end up doing the same storyline again

-- the CHOICES that were available: there was no set order in which the content had to be consumed (except for the order in which quests were done in the themeparks) or demands on what content had to be consumed, although there was content that was more difficult; plus there were choices regarding character development (not just you chose to be a hunter so what skills do you want as a hunter but you can get this branch as a hunter and this branch of medic and another branch of something else as long as you have the prerequisite skill boxes until you consume all of your skill points...and if you don't like the set-up, simply give up whichever skills you no longer want and gain enough xp to get new skills)

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    EVE Online, in the Battle for 6VDT-H.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

My favorite moment in my MMO history was getting into SWG beta. It was my first MMO; a genre I wasn't even sure I knew about. It was "Star Wars", so I was excited just for that.

But "The Moment" for me was when I got out of the solo tutorial area and stepped outside of the Theed spaceport to be amongst other players for the first time. I was blown away with the concept of being in a Star Wars world with others. People were running around, talking, emoting. Not far away, a Peko Peko had made its way into the port. It took everyone to bring it down.

I was hooked. I consumed as much as I could. Within a few weeks I was able to turn on my "Helper" tag and assist others. Attending a stress test a few days into beta (the goal SOE put out was to go find a terminal that was loaded with credits; if I remember right.) We all started at the same location (outside Eisley, was it?). Within a minute, my client barfed for a few minutes. When it recovered, it was me and one other dude nearby. Everyone else was gone; collecting lots of credits I suspect. I typed in "Everyone's lost but us". The other guy laughed it up and understood my movie reference.

We remained in touch for most of the beta, but when the game launched, we lost touch. Turns out we happened to choose the same live server. The Force was with us. I had used the same toon name, and he happened upon me. We joined forces; my wife included along with his father. I made us a guild, met others, built a city and crafted memories that last to this day.

You can list the bugs, you can talk about the declining population, the combat upgrade mistake, the NGE disaster, and the nail in the coffin. None of it matters or changes what I was able to experience because the virtual world that was Star Wars Galaxies.

No other game has been able to come even close to that same level of freedom, entertainment, and immersion. I continue to seek, but I am starting to lose hope.

Star Wars Galaxies. My Moment in MMO Time.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

SWG was my first MMO and by default has my greatest moments. Too many to mention and I would rather a more recent and active moment anyway.

FF14 ARR, when the main scenario quest for level 15 is all but complete and you step on to the Airship for the very first time. Your character will turn toward the camera and "smile at you". It's one of those pride moments that really cement an affinity you can have with a game character.

Originally posted by iJustWant

So many moments stand out, it would be hard to pick a favorite. I'll share my first: EverQuest, late 1999 or early 2000.

On a late Friday afternoon, a colleague had been looking at the old Allakhazam, reading some info about a song for his bard. I remember being so intrigued, I left early, picked up a copy of EQ, a new video card, and raced home. I think I got home a little before 5pm, updated my hardware & drivers, and maybe had the game updated by 630 or 7pm; these were the days of 56k modems, after all.

With all my lights out, a warm hot pocket in hand, the glow from my PC screen felt more like a movie screen than a video game. I rolled a Gnome Enchanter, and started in Ak'anon.

I couldn't tell you how many hours I wandered, awestruck at the depth of this new playground. I'd memorized my spells, had my trusty, rusty dagger in its sheath and yellow pajamas draped about my shoulders. I knew I was supposed to go talk to my guild master about some important task, but ... I just wandered! Though this was my home city, and every NPC was amiable and kind, I still explored with a minor sense of fear!

What happened if I swam in the lake near the king's castle? The water looked creepy, and green, and ... creepy; I jumped in, and discovered quickly that my Swimming skill (1) needed some work. I leapt out of the water in fear of my virtual life, but made a mental note to practice swimming, so I could later explore the lake more thoroughly.

What was in that cave up ahead? What was a skeleton doing guarding that door?! Uh-oh, don't want to start trouble, I'd better grow up some before I go check *THAT* out.

I'd wandered through some hallways, and I found the friendly captain of the city guards. He'd wanted to talk to me about something as well, and the dialogue indicated that the city was in trouble. I'd meant to talk to him, to say that I would "Quickly resolve the matter", but alas - was the default autoattack key, and I was as n00b as n00bs can be.

"You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!!" Cried the city guards, and I was slain in under a second. Magically, I reappeared, but not inside the town; I was outside the main gate, in the Steamfont Mountains.

I was also naked! I remember experiencing mixed sensations of embarrassment and dread; what had I done? Was I now exiled? I changed the hotkeys so that I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

The guards still seemed kind to me, and allowed me back inside, but I wasn't quite sure where to go. I started to see [you are hungry], and [you are thirsty] on the screen... oh no! I'm now naked, penniless, *AND* hungry. I'd better go find my stuff! After some time of learning the passageways about the city, I found my gear, neatly folded up into a yellow square. How polite of the city guard to not attack me on sight. They'd given me a second chance, and I wasn't about to waste it.

I agreed to help the city; I swore allegiance to my guild. I hurried outside, back to the dangerous expanse of Steamfont, to rid my beloved city of the rat plague. I found an old backpack, which really helped to collect stacks and stacks of rat whiskers & fur. A friendly Elf Druid nearby bought these baubles, and after returning to the city to declare my resounding success against the rats, I had enough silver to buy more powerful spells.

I met other Gnome players in the guild hall: one Wizard, one Magician. We decided to face the next danger together: a camp of evil, Gnome-eating Kobolds, just beyond the rat-filled valley, far beyond the protection of the city guards.

We didn't expect to survive, but we went anyway.

Carefully, oh so carefully, we crept through the valley, down this way and that, past the rats, up the little slope. There ahead were the enemies' tents; wandering about were three or four snarling Kobolds. Little gnome bones littered the landscape. I was breathing heavy, literally on the edge of my seat.

Then it happened.

BANGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

I just about jumped out of my socks. It was about 6am the next morning, I'd been playing all night, and the newspaper had just struck my front door.

Honestly, this story makes me happy!!..... NOTHING like your first MMO session..... I would do anything to feel that way again in a game :)