Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsletter, Issue 6: Game of the Week

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

This week, we took a brief look at the popular MMORPG, City of Heroes. What are your opinions of the game? As a non-fantasy MMORPG, does it meet your MMORPG standards? Let us know, here!.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• WhiteknightWhiteknight Member Posts: 82

This is one of my favorite MMOs that I have ever played.

First of all the character creation is well done and versatile in most cases. It could use some more options at times, but how it is set up now is still a very great and fun character creation tool. The only time you at times will find costumes that look alike is either once in a while or when somone is just trying to copy a famous super hero.

The combat system in this game is also very fun and entertaining. And even though recently it went through some nerfs have been put through the system, the combat still provides hefty action and worthwhile combat in most cases. This actually could depend on the kind sof classes you put together though, which is normal for anygame. And the amount of powers to choose from within each class can be diverse, which allows for alot more customization and for there to be a kind of character for most people to enjoy.

The mission system is, however, is at times very repetitive. But even so some missions are very fun and have great backgrounds. At the least, theres usually always a mission for you to use when you level, but its always better to group when doing it then soloing when you reach higher lvls. Which is also a downfall of the mission and expereince system, in that it encourages far more group play then solo play dependent upon your class. But all in all I still find it to be in an allright condition considering how bad it could be.

The graphics may seem outdated to some, but I still find that they are pretty well for the games age. The effects of the powers are very interesting to watch and also as diverse as they are. The setting at times will seem to be consistent in some sections of the city, but sometimes you will find some very interesting and creative zones.

This is about how I could rate what I think City of heroes, I still find it to be a very great and entertaining game and I hope other people do understand that this is just an opinion.

It's a good day to beleive

• BlockheadBrnBlockheadBrn Member Posts: 40
    It's simply the best MMOG out there.
  • VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

some cool features such as the most in depth character creation system.

but i must say a lot of the players are shall we say........... totally insane.

like that communist superhero guild that was on AOTS, i think city of heroes is awesome especially now that CoV is out, and you can have PvP.

but superheroes of that nature arent my thing, you simply cant be as violent as the original joker(remember what he did to batgirl..not saying that that should be in there), you cant be as violent as the punisher(this should be in there), and i remember when batman beat people to within an inch of their life and they showed it.

that is the type of comics i more or less adhere too with a few exceptions. CoH is too kiddy and sugarcoated for me.

but i will admit it is one of the best.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• voodookhanvoodookhan Member Posts: 267

CoH/CoV is still on my top 5 list of best MMORPGs, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a non-fantasy genre game with excellent graphics and good gameplay. But...

Originally posted by Whiteknight

The mission system is, however, is at times very repetitive.

This is where CoH/CoV is still lacking. You have your regular missions (which lead into story arcs), trials, and task forces...but it all gets really repetitive. After you've played through the content with some alts (or with friends) the game really starts to lose it's luster. They really reviatlized some of the end-game with the PvP zones (and base raiding) but they've never really followed through much with the epic arch-types (lots of "talk" about new epics and they still only have the Kheldians). They added the "Newspaper" in CoV which is great, but again even that gets repetitious after a while.

Finally, the the mission maps are just downright repetitive to the point of annoyance sometimes. If I get one more mission in a warehouse or an office building I'm going to scream. I shouldn't know all of the warehouse map configurations by heart. It really distracts from the gameplay in the long run. The thing that CoH/CoV needs most is dynamic content, dynamic mission map creation, more interactive environments, more "cause and effect" situations in the story arcs, weather, etc.

This is a great game, but they really need to work on the mission system over the next year.

--------------
    Played: Age of Conan, DDO, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, DaOC, MxO, EQ2, and so on...
    Wish List: Jumpgate Evolution, Star Wars: TOR, Star Trek

• WhiteknightWhiteknight Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by voodookhan
    CoH/CoV is still on my top 5 list of best MMORPGs, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a non-fantasy genre game with excellent graphics and good gameplay. But...Originally posted by Whiteknight

The mission system is, however, is at times very repetitive.

This is where CoH/CoV is still lacking. You have your regular missions (which lead into story arcs), trials, and task forces...but it all gets really repetitive. After you've played through the content with some alts (or with friends) the game really starts to lose it's luster. They really reviatlized some of the end-game with the PvP zones (and base raiding) but they've never really followed through much with the epic arch-types (lots of "talk" about new epics and they still only have the Kheldians). They added the "Newspaper" in CoV which is great, but again even that gets repetitious after a while.

Finally, the the mission maps are just downright repetitive to the point of annoyance sometimes. If I get one more mission in a warehouse or an office building I'm going to scream. I shouldn't know all of the warehouse map configurations by heart. It really distracts from the gameplay in the long run. The thing that CoH/CoV needs most is dynamic content, dynamic mission map creation, more interactive environments, more "cause and effect" situations in the story arcs, weather, etc.

This is a great game, but they really need to work on the mission system over the next year.

As I said earlier, it is lacking in mission variety, but recently they have begun to add some diversity in the maps and types with CoV and some of the updates. About the elite archeotypes, the one I have heard of is supposedly either near completion or a good percentage done, and the only clue I have heard of it is that it has wings, which is an odd sort of clue but does sound interesting. But right, they need to continue working on the mission types and maps.

It's a good day to beleive

• BlockheadBrnBlockheadBrn Member Posts: 40

It will be an epic archetype called "Avilan".  "No rumor – it’s a fact. The Avilan Epic Archetype has been designed on paper and some animation work has been done. We’re trying to fit it into the schedule at some point." -- Statesman on Avilans

City Of Heroes/Archetypes/Epic Archetypes - From Wikibooks, the open-content textbooks collection

The Epic Archetypes currently only include two types. These two are both unlocked when a given account has one character, on any server, at level 50. It should be noted, in direct conflict with most players assumptions, that the Epic ATs are NOT ubermode. They are not meant to be super-powerful. Much conflict comes of this assumption. Just like in scores of other games, in CoH, when you reach the end, you are rewarded with a Hard Mode. The Epics are HARD to play. The offer a lot of flexibility, but at a price. You have FAR more powers to slot, with just as many slots as before. This in itself is difficult. Additionally, in most base stats, Kheldians (the term that both Peacebringers and Warshades go by) are weak in almost every area. Only in human form, in a large group, can Kheldians become 'uber'.

Peacebringers

Warshades

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

Have tos CoH/V is the best MMORPG I have seen to date. Even saying that there are things it can improve on. As some people have said Missions being repetitive. There are still some minor errors. For example there are still [Null] in the games. [Nulls] are the name of people talking that they have not given names to. Still the game itself is by far the best game out there in the MMORPG's IMO. I have been playing online games since Ultima Online came out.

• harrisonwharrisonw Member Posts: 8

After playing CoH for almost a year, I stopped last January (2005). Why? Absolutely no depth. Play one mission in doors, you've played all of them. Sure, the character creation is great. But the repetitive missions got boring after a while. And with absolutely NOTHING to do but fight bad guys... over and over and over and over and over and over... it's not a very robust game at all. Most of the people I began with have long since left. I've noticed that the server loads are always light, even on Friday and Saturday nights so there's virtually no server lag, it also means, no one's playing.

I tried my hand at CoV, but after Beta testing and then playing for a month, I found that there was virtually nothing new. Same old missions and you're STILL fighting bad guys.

Also, something that really rubbed me wrong was the complete and utter lack of ambient sound. For me that's a lot. Without that the immersion factor isn't as good. Which is funny, because I didn't even notice the lack of sound until I started playing WoW.

These are just my opinions, and by definition are neither right nor wrong.

• voodookhanvoodookhan Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Sylvanus
    It will be an epic archetype called "Avilan". "No rumor – it’s a fact. The Avilan Epic Archetype has been designed on paper and some animation work has been done. We’re trying to fit it into the schedule at some point." -- Statesman on Avilans

Already knew about the ones "talked" about. Actually the devs have officially talked about 3 of them, the "winged" ones (Avilan) which they seem to be doing next. Another based on a sea/water-type concept, and another called "Blood of the Black Stream". But that's my point, they have done A LOT of "talk" and haven't come out with anything. Hopefully, in the new year, they will release the Avilan one and come out with more content.

An yes, epics are not "uber" characters, but hell all you need to do is play them to know that. However, for vets, they are a significant part of the "end-game" since you don't unlock the Kheldians until you have at least 1 level 50.

--------------
    Played: Age of Conan, DDO, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, DaOC, MxO, EQ2, and so on...
    Wish List: Jumpgate Evolution, Star Wars: TOR, Star Trek

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

I haven't played the game in quite awhile, but when I did play it; I was disgusted by the lack of depth.

You had a game that was really only praised for it's character creation, and possibly combat, which the spiffy on the latter was that it was fast paced, the iffy, it was still nothing special at all.

Now for character creation, people seemed to have forgot, you had a game that didn't have any items whatsoever. You didn't have varying colors of armor, different styled, etc. etc.

So what do they do? They just put it all in character creation. They really fooled people good with that ruse.

Frankly...As the poster above me pointed out, it was a skinny, shallow, game. No depth. You got the whole novel superhero bit, after that wears off...image

I've seen more depth in those cookier cutter asian MMORPG's.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• Rewind3DRewind3D Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by harrisonw

After playing CoH for almost a year, I stopped last January (2005). Why? Absolutely no depth. Play one mission in doors, you've played all of them. Sure, the character creation is great. But the repetitive missions got boring after a while. And with absolutely NOTHING to do but fight bad guys... over and over and over and over and over and over... it's not a very robust game at all. Most of the people I began with have long since left. I've noticed that the server loads are always light, even on Friday and Saturday nights so there's virtually no server lag, it also means, no one's playing.
    I tried my hand at CoV, but after Beta testing and then playing for a month, I found that there was virtually nothing new. Same old missions and you're STILL fighting bad guys.
    Also, something that really rubbed me wrong was the complete and utter lack of ambient sound. For me that's a lot. Without that the immersion factor isn't as good. Which is funny, because I didn't even notice the lack of sound until I started playing WoW.
    These are just my opinions, and by definition are neither right nor wrong.

Totally agree.  The character creation is probably the best amoungst all mmorpgs, however the repetitive door missions is lame.  If it wasn't so instanced... it might be a better pick for me.  Kinda weird that you walk through a door on a building and a load screen comes up lol.  I think it would be cool to knock the badguys out the door!  image  Great game for a few months, then it gets too repetitive.  And I wish I had my own place... not a base to share with my teammates.
  • ProdiguyProdiguy Member Posts: 4

I just have to post something that a dev named Positron said to the last poster...

Apparently, they are going to have bases for singular Heroes and Villains now. It will not be bought with "Prestige" like the current bases are, but it will still cost a little something.

Now, for my review... City of Heroes' missions do get repetative. The battle is flashy and fast, like most hero battles should be.

Costumes are diverse to begin with, then you reach level 20, you get all types of different capes and brooches for your costume that you can change at Icon, the costume changing store. Then, you get level 30, with different auras for your hero. My old one had a heroic blue glow. Now, white lightening surrounds him. Another character has flames in his eyes.

PvP... God, I hate it. I can not stand Stalkers. But this is not about City of Villains, it is about Heroes. It goes too fast, unless you have a Tanker fighting with someone like a Brute.