Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Trove: Digging and Destroying in Trove Alpha

2»

Comments

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Asamof
    can we make our characters not look dumb?

    Each class will have a unique model, so a space cowboy will not look like the knight (only class in alpha so far)

    Also Avarem (Andrew Krausnick - Trove Lead dev) mentioned that players could submit and customize models in some capacity in the future - not sure how this will work yet.

  • GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF DFPosts: 59Member
    why people complain that much on what they call "copy" games history and music or by far all humna does have copy from other even not originality, lot example like lor mario like games on n64 era, or al madonna like singers on pop, who cares let it be if it fails  or success dont mess with it if ur not gonna play it simple

    DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

  • emotaemota PLYMOUTHPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

    First of all - let me preface this that I am in trove alpha, its one of the games I am actively playing and following.Currently the game is alpha build 0.0.3 - so extremely early alpha.The vision for the game is imo, Terraria meets Minecraft meets Realm of the Mad God.If you don't like any of the above gamea chances are its not for you.As far as why? Because the two Trion devs who wrote the engine from scratch had a new idea about an exploration, adventure and creation/destruction game that could be co-created with the community via reddit forums and direct feedback.Trove is about talking directly to devs as you play (avarem and other devs log in frequently to alpha servers) - they respond daily on Reddit. Its about players having input and discussion about what features they like as the game is nowhere near feature complete(remember alpha 0.0.3)This is not about only buiding in game (Landmark), this is about contributing to building the actual game at ground level as in features - combat, dungeons, crafting, classes these are the systems that players are giving direct feedback on as they are put in piece by piece.

     

    Game looks awesome, going to be a big hit, I can't wait!
  • wabben77wabben77 Stillwater, OKPosts: 47Member

    I didn't like minecraft because it was mostly about building cool stuff (which is fine), but I didn't play much because the combat was pretty bad. No abilities to use, no progression, the "dungeons" you find have identical creatures in them and nothing special.

    Terraria basically fixed all the things about minecraft I didn't like. Awesome combat, awesome crafting, awesome exploration and discovery. The only problem is, 2d sidescroller :( :(. I still played the heck out of it and had a blast, but always hoped there would be a 3d game with the same concepts. This looks like it could be it and I can't wait.

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wabben77

    I didn't like minecraft because it was mostly about building cool stuff (which is fine), but I didn't play much because the combat was pretty bad. No abilities to use, no progression, the "dungeons" you find have identical creatures in them and nothing special.

    Terraria basically fixed all the things about minecraft I didn't like. Awesome combat, awesome crafting, awesome exploration and discovery. The only problem is, 2d sidescroller :( :(. I still played the heck out of it and had a blast, but always hoped there would be a 3d game with the same concepts. This looks like it could be it and I can't wait.

    Trove was conceptualized by 2 Trion Rift devs who are huge fans of Terraria and Minecraft, I remember reading an interview where they said  while they were coding Troves engine in their spare time (when not working on Rift) they played Terraria heavily.

    I can see the influences in Trove already as Terraria is such a gem of game, that sadly many won't experience due to 2D graphics.

  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    It is just minecraft with a twist.  Seriously, Trion needs to dump this game and do something that is not a copycat of another game.  Trove is a complete waste of good developer time!
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    It is just minecraft with a twist.  Seriously, Trion needs to dump this game and do something that is not a copycat of another game.  Trove is a complete waste of good developer time!

    There are 11 devs working on it now, and they are kicking ass IMO, 2 builds per week and constant communication with the fans.

    Needless to say I am loving this new approach to game development, I am glad the big company is supporting something that was a side project from a couple of their employees.

    Its like an indie game done by a small scrappy veteran dev team in a large studio - there's nothing like it that I know of.

    You can see that they are putting in their heart and soul into this, like many other small indie dev teams, except that in this case they have massive experience and access to all the big company hosting and tech.

    Also as a huge fan of Vanguard SoH - Avarem did Ancient Port Warehouse Raid among other things, so I've been a fan of his work and ideas even prior to him working at Trion.

    So I disagree that this is a waste of good dev time, this is supporting something your devs wanted to do anyway in their own time. 

    I wish more other studios greenlit internal side projects from their own employees, there are  ton of great ideas just sitting there, unutilized because those employees are paid to only work on an existing game.

     

     

  • JoreelJoreel Oceanside, CAPosts: 79Member Uncommon

    As one of the alpha players, I can tell you that the game is looking great even in it's infancy. Before you put the game down, try playing it and then maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. Tron devs are doing a wonderful job on this game and it is only gonna get better with time...

  • BuddyDudeBuddyDude Seattle, WAPosts: 47Member
    Originally posted by BearKnight

    Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

     

    You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

     

    So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

     

    This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

     

     

    Another paid for article, no doubt. Got to pay the bills somehow. This game, like defiance and trion is rubbish. Rift was a fluke and is not even THAT good as a fluke.  I suspect trion dishes out a lot of funds for these articles.  If I was mmorpg.com I would keep on posting them, paying the rent in these tough times is not easy.  And most mmos out suck, just flat out suck. 

     

    Cheers. 

  • RolleZRolleZ FalkenbergPosts: 37Member Uncommon
    200$ to get an instant alpha key. LOL!
  • RaxeonRaxeon cedar falls, IAPosts: 2,090Member Uncommon
    wonder when next alpha wave will happen
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member
    Originally posted by wabben77

    I didn't like minecraft because it was mostly about building cool stuff (which is fine), but I didn't play much because the combat was pretty bad. No abilities to use, no progression, the "dungeons" you find have identical creatures in them and nothing special.

    Terraria basically fixed all the things about minecraft I didn't like. Awesome combat, awesome crafting, awesome exploration and discovery. The only problem is, 2d sidescroller :( :(. I still played the heck out of it and had a blast, but always hoped there would be a 3d game with the same concepts. This looks like it could be it and I can't wait.

    Why are you not playing Wurm Online, the daddy of all vortex and terraforming games.

    People bang on about minecrasft but it was Wurm Online that paved the way.

     

     

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by drwebs

    Originally posted by BearKnight Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.   You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO.    So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?   This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.  
      Another paid for article, no doubt. Got to pay the bills somehow. This game, like defiance and trion is rubbish. Rift was a fluke and is not even THAT good as a fluke.  I suspect trion dishes out a lot of funds for these articles.  If I was mmorpg.com I would keep on posting them, paying the rent in these tough times is not easy.  And most mmos out suck, just flat out suck.    Cheers. 
     

    Did you read Defiance review by Bill?

    Your accusations fall apart.

  • jbombardjbombard SapporoPosts: 531Member Uncommon
    I actually prefer the look of this compared to Landmark.  Trove looks like an art style, Landmark just looked old and unoriginal.  Trove seems to be more about the adventure, Landmark seems to be more about grinding a lot or buying mats from SoE.  I really don't think they are very similar games.  However if Landmark wants to appeal to the graphics lovers, they need to do a whole lot more graphically, and if they want to appeal to the builders they need to make sure that it isn't grindy and the build tools are great.  Trove doesn't seem focused on graphics at all, and building seems more like a side activity.  That means they need to really nail the gameplay and adventure aspects.
  • Hordequester8Hordequester8 Fort Wayne, INPosts: 54Member
    Originally posted by BearKnight

    Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

     

    You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

     

    So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

     

    This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

     
    Um..I think the point is that it is still technically a MMO. Being that your cornerstone will move with you from world to world. It's equivalent to standard MMOs 'zoning' to other maps. Those aren't MMOs by your definition either since there can only be a hundred or so people in any map at any given time. I guess it depends on your perspective.
  • MsFitMsFit Home, ALPosts: 24Member Uncommon
    Won't play another Trion game. They lost me as a customer.
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by KamiKazeTG
    Originally posted by BearKnight

    Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

     

    You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

     

    So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

     

    This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

     
     
     
    Um..I think the point is that it is still technically a MMO. Being that your cornerstone will move with you from world to world. It's equivalent to standard MMOs 'zoning' to other maps. Those aren't MMOs by your definition either since there can only be a hundred or so people in any map at any given time. I guess it depends on your perspective.
     

    It is an MMO - people are confusing the terminology - Trove Worlds are *not* servers, they are equivlanent to zones/maps in other games. Most MMOs have a cap on max # of players per zone before another instance is created for example.

     

     

  • DenambrenDenambren Montreal, QCPosts: 320Member Uncommon

    Well, you've got to give Sony credit for at least trying to evolve the graphics and world editor of Minecraft before pushing out their clone.

    You look at this video, and you don't need more than 30 seconds to see it is an inferior Minecraft clone. Very strange direction for Trion to go.

  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Erie, PAPosts: 735Member Uncommon

    What is all this bitching about how Trove is just a another ripoff of all these other dozens of RPG Voxel Games?

    What are these games?

    I've tried to help my obsessed nephews install vague mods for Minecraft and when I'm helping them all I can think is "what is this crap, he doesn't even know what these mods do and half of them are bugged.  I should teach this kid how to play a MMO'.  But I know it's cool for 8 year olds to jump around and bust shit so that's fine.  And the graphics don't appeal to me.  Then I watch him spin around in circles for 5 minutes fumbling with a third rate interface.

    Vox - Don't see a lot of depth so I've never bothered. 

    Cube World - Maybe I'll try it when it's finished.  Graphics seem to be the best out there without messing with mods.  Mods drive me nuts.  When I start I can't stop.  I've probably spent more time modding Oblivion and Morrowind than actually playing.

  • alakramalakram malagaPosts: 2,225Member Uncommon
    Developers should understand this, what people liked of minecraft was the sandboxz not the cubes.

    -=AlaKraM=-
    Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
    My Lord of the Rings Gallery

  • DancingQueenDancingQueen LA, CAPosts: 201Member

    Actually Trove looks slightly better than Cube World but since it's $200 for the Trove beta and only $15 to buy the Cube World beta then I choose Cube World.

     

    Sorry, that should be €15 for the Cube World beta.

     
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon

    Actually Trove is currently in alpha - very early alpha.

    Alpha is also free - I got in for zero cost, many have. You don't have to spend a dime to get in, once you are in, you are in forever (alpha, beta etc...).

    Donating money increases your chances of getting an invite, $200 is immediate access - but you don't have to spend cash, you can just sign up and wait.

    Also on reddit they are giving away free alpha access codes all the time, so there's a chance for anyone to grab one of those.

    I also play CubeWorld - its in beta, it is feature complete,  but you *must* pay to play. 

    The 2 games are nothing alike in actual gameplay imo, they don't even look alike to me as Trove has a much better rendering engine and vfx processing.

  • DancingQueenDancingQueen LA, CAPosts: 201Member
    Ok that sounds good :)
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.