Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More great stuff incoming to Darkfall.

Comments

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I played DFO for 2 years. I would rather read a book than play the joke it has become.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

what has always boggled me is the lack of a free trial.

yes yes, i know the cry of gimp the economy, so what? if this company ever wants to break out it should have a trial server, everything is free, one week max time till player is automatically deleted.

least then you can get a glimpse of what its like. sheeshe

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by killahh

what has always boggled me is the lack of a free trial.

yes yes, i know the cry of gimp the economy, so what? if this company ever wants to break out it should have a trial server, everything is free, one week max time till player is automatically deleted.

least then you can get a glimpse of what its like. sheeshe

The "gimp the economy" is just an excuse, DFUW needs a free trial.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    Interesting, the title word "more"  would suggest that there was already great stuff in Darkfall.

Well if one views in particular cases one may find great things but as a whole yeah... game ain't that great at the moment.

As a whole, it's the best full loot  persistent world  with no instances, action combat, and city conquest available on the market today.

If this is correct, please point to the better game.

If you can't, please get out of my niche.

=)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))  EVE Online :), if you had said fantasy full loot you may have had a whisper of a chance but yes: EVE- Online eats Darkfall for breakfeast in all respects from world size, to developer ethics ( at least they make fun of themselves and do not go anal retentive as much as other ones ) to player economy and general bathshit craziness.

I'm not gonna claim that dfuw is a better game than EVE but EVE doesn't have action combat and I'm not sure it has city conquest? I actually don't know, but I always thought that EVE didn't really have player cities in a traditional sense. I could be wrong though.

0.0 space and they're set to expand upon player content in the next few years up to allowing players to create their own actual pocket empires not just claim space ( once you talk about player built stargates every bet is off about what else may come and before you ask: gates to new unexplored regions of space, possibly within other galaxies).

Interesting, the title word "more"  would suggest that there was already great stuff in Darkfall.

Well if one views in particular cases one may find great things but as a whole yeah... game ain't that great at the moment.

As a whole, it's the best full loot  persistent world  with no instances, action combat, and city conquest available on the market today.

=)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))  EVE Online :), if you had said fantasy full loot you may have had a whisper of a chance but yes: EVE- Online eats Darkfall for breakfeast in all respects from world size, to developer ethics ( at least they make fun of themselves and do not go anal retentive as much as other ones ) to player economy and general bathshit craziness.

I said Action Combat.

EVE is pretty boring, imo.

Only because no idea what you are discussing (from every point of view EVE is action combat orientated just that that part is allot more visible in small gang pvp situations, when you get up to blob level things become more static due to logistics).

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?384073-December-Update-Highlights

Some amazing stuff in this update. Most notably to me, are the changes to the UI.

I'm also excited for the new dungeon. The most recent dungeon added was one of the coolest I've seen in any MMO ever, with it's moving walls and darkness that divides your party.

New chat system:
    We have already presented and shown screenshots of it. It's undergoing final testing and is expected to be added next week, barring any persistent issues.

Hot bars and skill options:
    Hot bars that show skill placement as well as cool downs will be added this month. These will be visible in action mode making it easier for players to see which skill is assigned to which slot as well as track the cool downs. Additionally 3 new options per slot will be made available. One allows players to decide if they want the default skill for each weapon to be cast when the selected skill is on cool down or not. The second presents the option of reverting to the default skill for each weapon when the selected skill has been executed. The third option flags skills on the slot to be cast by pressing the relevant hot key only without having to press the associated mouse button afterwards. New icons for all schools skills have also been created and will be introduced with the hot bars.

Cannons:
    The projectile cannons located on top of towers in clan cities as well as a deployable cannon are being finalized and will be added to the game in the next couple of weeks. Cannons require black powder to be operated and in the case of the deployable ones, players will need to craft them. More cannon options and more siege machines will follow.

Prowess Monoliths:
    Another feature in the final stages of development is the prowess monolith. These monoliths become active at set intervals and players that enter the structure will gain prowess for the duration of their visit. The more players on the structure, the more the prowess is divided up, so securing the location for you and your friends is important.

New Epic Dungeon:
    Sinspire Cathedral is a new epic dungeon that has its' entrance located in the Banegorge area of Agon. Sinspire is an epic dungeon in size, difficulty as well as denizens. Players will navigate through a huge environment inspired from Gothic style cathedrals, with the ultimate goal of reaching the dungeon Boss. A new dynamic door system requires players to perform certain kills to proceed or even escape. On the way to the dungeon boss players will encounter the Erodach, the dungeon's mini boss. The Erodach is a high rank caster monster that uses special attacks and custom AI to challenge the players.

At the dungeon's finale, players will need to defeat Sir Davos the Damned to claim their reward and escape the Cathedral. Sir Davos is a monster of the highest difficulty that uses many new and devastating custom skills. Players will need to pay attention to their surroundings and employ new strategies as well as impeccable coordination to succeed.

Also:

Chaos School: The third Primalist school is also in its' final stages of development, but may not make it in by the end of the month due to the time it will take to complete the effects for the feature.

Finally, as you know, we have also been working closely with players on the MVP forum to improve the economy as well as desirability of villages and clan holdings and we should start seeing results on these in the game very soon. A new wave of invites to the MVP forum is going out today.

Expect the first patch to happen early next week.

Thank you for reading. 

All of this stuff is things they promised long ago. I mean cmon, the dungeons during beta they said were all finished just needed a few tweaks and now there still aren't half of them. "new things coming to darkfall" Ive heard the coming soon quote before, and tasos say they are in final stages of being developed to string people along. They lost me as a customer months back with this crappy new game some call a sandbox. I call it a large arena. Its not a MMO any longer in my eyes.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm not gonna claim that dfuw is a better game than EVE but EVE doesn't have action combat and I'm not sure it has city conquest? I actually don't know, but I always thought that EVE didn't really have player cities in a traditional sense. I could be wrong though.

0.0 space and they're set to expand upon player content in the next few years up to allowing players to create their own actual pocket empires not just claim space ( once you talk about player built stargates every bet is off about what else may come and before you ask: gates to new unexplored regions of space, possibly within other galaxies).

Hmmm ok so again unless I'm mistaken the territory control/player-build structures conquest side of it isn't really a big thing, correct? If it exists at all? If that's the case, that's the thing that Darkfall has that EVE doesn't. That was Lust's point, that Darkfall is the best game of its kind. 

Also re: action combat, I've always taken action combat to mean free aiming at least in some regard.

Originally posted by boris20

All of this stuff is things they promised long ago. I mean cmon, the dungeons during beta they said were all finished just needed a few tweaks and now there still aren't half of them. "new things coming to darkfall" Ive heard the coming soon quote before, and tasos say they are in final stages of being developed to string people along. They lost me as a customer months back with this crappy new game some call a sandbox. I call it a large arena. Its not a MMO any longer in my eyes.

Yes, according to Tasos 29 dungeons were "completed" over a year ago. How many are in game now...4-5?

It's rather difficult to get excited about anything Tasos says, given his long track record.

So no screen shots of the new UI???

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by ilives
    Originally posted by boris20

Yes, according to Tasos 29 dungeons were "completed" over a year ago. How many are in game now...4-5?

It's rather difficult to get excited about anything Tasos says, given his long track record.

So no screen shots of the new UI???

I'm pretty sure all those things was done for DFO 2.0. They had to redo everything when they thought it was smart to shrink the world. Shrinking the world meaning that you must retouch most things and for that, alfar and elf lands are still not completed with no major cities for them.

So my guess is: They were working hard on DF 2.0 and one day, they were like '' hey, let's scrap all that. No one is gonna buy a game with old school graphics and in case we're not succesful, a smaller world would fit better. It's our project, not the project of clause and the other razorax dude. Let's implement even more theme park feature and surely, steam players are gonna want to buy it''. AV forgot that steam and theme park players are not as loyal as us, fans of sandbox games.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

I don't understand what the themepark aspects are. It seems like a totally ridiculous thing to say that DFUW is anything like a themepark simply because it's not as hardcore as DFO was. 

To me it looks like they felt DFO was flawed and saw a good opportunity to start over from scratch with what they've learned and at the same time update the graphics, so they made a new game. For whatever reason it took a lot longer than they thought, hence the lack of content, lack of NPC cities in elf lands and alfar lands, lack of diversity in racial models. But they're adding things. I mean honestly what exactly is the problem here? That they're not doing it quickly enough? Then take a break and come back when it's finished. If the game fails before then, it's going to at least partially be from the haters who are actively trying to sink it because AV hurt their feelings.

I don't understand what the themepark aspects are. It seems like a totally ridiculous thing to say that DFUW is anything like a themepark simply because it's not as hardcore as DFO was. 

Set classes with restricted skills, kill X number of this quests and linear quests, "levels" (via prowess and/or attributes), class specific armor/weapons...

Originally posted by BLOBtheTROLL
    I just refuse to do same thing over again that I did in df1 and that's waiting for df2010 , content and promises based on lies and they are lies when we see df-uw as product and what was promised.

Some people will never learn, 4 months of nothing and finally another "coming soon" .

Hmmm ok so again unless I'm mistaken the territory control/player-build structures conquest side of it isn't really a big thing, correct? If it exists at all? If that's the case, that's the thing that Darkfall has that EVE doesn't. That was Lust's point, that Darkfall is the best game of its kind. 

Also re: action combat, I've always taken action combat to mean free aiming at least in some regard.

With fleets worth more than your house as combined value (using plex values to guestimate) engaging each other over territory control and player owned structures every other day I will let you decide if it is or isn't a big thing :) (may wanna look up the 1st and 2nd great wars in EVE).

Also free aiming in EVE: Stealth Bomber bombing runs <3 (5-6 of those guys working together can wreck an entire fleet's composition and cause damage 50-60 times the bombs and the stealth bomber's worth).

Originally posted by ilives

Set classes with restricted skills, kill X number of this quests and linear quests, "levels" (via prowess and/or attributes), class specific armor/weapons...

I've never heard anybody say that classes have anything to do with themeparks. Same with the quests. You can come and go as you like with the feats, do some here and there, stop and pick them up again later, etc. And there are no levels. You're just using the wrong word. None of these things have anything to do with themeparks, even if they're not very sandbox-y.

With fleets worth more than your house as combined value (using plex values to guestimate) engaging each other over territory control and player owned structures every other day I will let you decide if it is or isn't a big thing :) (may wanna look up the 1st and 2nd great wars in EVE).

Also free aiming in EVE: Stealth Bomber bombing runs <3 (5-6 of those guys working together can wreck an entire fleet's composition and cause damage 50-60 times the bombs and the stealth bomber's worth).

Lol ok man if they have player structures then fine. I asked if they did and you gave me some vague answer about 0.0 and being set up to expand upon that kind of content in the next few years, allowing people to create their own pocket empires and not just claim space. That sounded like you could only claim space right now and not create any of your own structures.

Do you have any videos of the free aiming in EVE? I just kind of doubt that it's going to be very twitch/skill based, which is kind of the point of Darkfall.

But even so, I'm not claiming that DFUW is a better game than EVE. But if EVE is the only game that does what DFUW does but better, then that's fine. It still seems weird to me to shit on a game that is either the best or second best at what they're doing.

Lol ok man if they have player structures then fine. I asked if they did and you gave me some vague answer about 0.0 and being set up to expand upon that kind of content in the next few years, allowing people to create their own pocket empires and not just claim space. That sounded like you could only claim space right now and not create any of your own structures.

Do you have any videos of the free aiming in EVE? I just kind of doubt that it's going to be very twitch/skill based, which is kind of the point of Darkfall.

But even so, I'm not claiming that DFUW is a better game than EVE. But if EVE is the only game that does what DFUW does but better, then that's fine. It still seems weird to me to shit on a game that is either the best or second best at what they're doing.

They aren't second best, twitch based combat is done better by Terra by what I know, PVP is leagues better in EVE (even if the free aim is missing the thrill is much greater in small gang pvp in that game than in DFUW), construction of assets and world shapring... Wurm Online hands down and I wouldn't be as hard on the game if it weren't being developed by people like AV, considering it is... yeah I reckon you will stay with DFUW until Gloria Victis hits open beta , might even be sooner with Albion Online though.

They aren't second best, twitch based combat is done better by Terra by what I know, PVP is leagues better in EVE (even if the free aim is missing the thrill is much greater in small gang pvp in that game than in DFUW), construction of assets and world shapring... Wurm Online hands down and I wouldn't be as hard on the game if it weren't being developed by people like AV, considering it is... yeah I reckon you will stay with DFUW until Gloria Victis hits open beta , might even be sooner with Albion Online though.

TERA doesn't have full loot or any kind of conquest system. Also the twitch based combat isn't really difficult or twitch based. Wurm online has terrible combat. You can't offer up examples of games with individual pieces that are better. The whole point is that it's all in one. Full loot, twitch based combat, ow pvp, territory control, player made cities. If there's a better game that has all these things, I'd be interested to hear what it is.

Gloria Victis and Albion Online may be suitable alternatives, but they're not out yet.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    how can they even ask money for a game that looks unfinished.

TERA doesn't have full loot or any kind of conquest system. Also the twitch based combat isn't really difficult or twitch based. Wurm online has terrible combat. You can't offer up examples of games with individual pieces that are better. The whole point is that it's all in one. Full loot, twitch based combat, ow pvp, territory control, player made cities. If there's a better game that has all these things, I'd be interested to hear what it is.

Gloria Victis and Albion Online may be suitable alternatives, but they're not out yet.

They are valid alternatives to a shoddy, poorly maintained and (funnily enough) paid to play game and as for Gloria Victis well... for about 10$ you can get in :) .

They are valid alternatives to a shoddy, poorly maintained and (funnily enough) paid to play game and as for Gloria Victis well... for about 10$ you can get in :) .

I know, I paid $10 and got in. If you think Gloria Victis in its current state is a valid alternative to ANYTHING, then your credibility just hit 0.

But at any rate, what I'm hearing is you don't have an alternative to what DFUW has to offer. I'm not going to claim there are ZERO other games like it, but the point is even in DFUW's state, it's still way better than almost every other MMO out there. 

I know, I paid $10 and got in. If you think Gloria Victis in its current state is a valid alternative to ANYTHING, then your credibility just hit 0.

But at any rate, what I'm hearing is you don't have an alternative to what DFUW has to offer. I'm not going to claim there are ZERO other games like it, but the point is even in DFUW's state, it's still way better than almost every other MMO out there. 

One: As an alpha GV it is still better than DFUW with AV developing it will ever be.

Two: You forgot an "IMHO" in your second statement because it is your choice to see that piece of poorly run trash as good not everyone's.

• MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126

One: As an alpha GV it is still better than DFUW with AV developing it will ever be.

Two: You forgot an "IMHO" in your second statement because it is your choice to see that piece of poorly run trash as good not everyone's.

A little bit pot and kettle, non?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion :)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Not a mediocre update.  In my opinion, this is one of the best combat updates in the history of this game based on the hotbar functionality to allow players to fire off skills without pre-loading spells and using two key clicks.

FINALLY

1: Did you play it? It's not even really like a game yet. It's incredibly buggy and the combat is like basically non-existent. Again... credibility = 0.

2. Then have fun playing Wurm online as your ow pvp, full loot, twitch-based territory conquest game.

1: Did you play it? It's not even really like a game yet. It's incredibly buggy and the combat is like basically non-existent. Again... credibility = 0.

2. Then have fun playing Wurm online as your ow pvp, full loot, twitch-based territory conquest game.

1. The devs are better (know them, less than the Albion ones granted but still know em), they work for their bread and respect their customers so again you lose out because no matter how much you try you're in the end comparing a good game under a shitty company with a early alpha game under a good one.

2. No, I will be guiding battlefleets in EVE from the bridge of my covert ops frigate :), enjoy the zerg fests while paying greeks who couldn't find their own asses with a map in their hand (strictly referring to the leadership not the guys actually working).

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

[mod edit][

I see your logic there but not sure I'd agree with it. Just because something is the only one of its type does not automatically make it good, the best compared to nothing well that's your opinion.

If you really expect Aventurine to deliver on any of there promises in a timely fashion I believe you are deluded or have just recently joined and have no knowledge of its past history. Remember last year in October when the game was feature complete and ready according to Taso, but then release was put off till November? Then remember when November came and again the game was delayed till Dec?(Aventurine actually waited till the day it was supposed to be released in November to admit it was gonna be delayed when a week earlier they stated it was still ready for launch on time hows that for a crappy company that doesn't give a damn about its player base?) What happened then? Oh yeah Dec came and the game was released as a pay to play beta. Here we are a year later and still most of the things that were supposed to be in game and ready as per Taso are still not in the game. At some point people get tired of eating up all the bullshit lies that come out  of Taso's mouth. YMMV