Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No more CD´s

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I just hate games where i am more looking at the interface to see of my skills are available instead of watching the combat on screen

I am so happy with games that have a full resource based system like ESO, no more watching every single CD on your hotbars... Just  having an eye now and then on your resources will be enough.  There is not many games withouth CD´s, but i love for instance my Warden in LOTRO that i can play mostly withouth having an eye on the CD´s and interface.

A good choice, fitting for this game.. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I just hate games where i am more looking at the interface to see of my skills are available instead of watching the combat on screen

I am so happy with games that have a full resource based system like ESO, no more watching every single CD on your hotbars... Just  having an eye now and then on your resources will be enough.  There is not many games withouth CD´s, but i love for instance my Warden in LOTRO that i can play mostly withouth having an eye on the CD´s and interface.

A good choice, fitting for this game.. 

Pft I haven't bought a game on CD for ages! image

Buut I agree, I dislike cooldowns as well.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

What will be the SKILL then ?

you're saying that every one should 1 OP skill and to spam it ?

Best balance of Skill CD Utility I found in GW2  

I play Dagger dagger elem You know why? it require Fast hands like your playing on piano

Fire 5 skill +1 button to switch to fire

Water  5 skill  +1 button to switch to water

Earth 5 skill +1 button to switch to earth

Lighting 5 skill + 1 button to switch to Lighting 

+5 utilities 

30 buttons to click  and I don't look at key board  because when you fight is big zerks you must  watch out where you are going  and guess what as a Elementalist with lowest base hp and defence I'm almost allways alive neear commander how this happens . IKD maybe skill? good memory of skills and their CD

You understand that this huge number of skill and high lvl of personal skill is very important for a gameing feeling you will fell like a part of the world

BAD skill CD is in WOW to be honest after Gw2 I don't want to go back to that system. Gw2 is a little better which also gives you more time to enjoy the screen or only at screen because some time if don't dodge  red circle your wiped.

SO I'm against no CD for skills but I would be glad to see something similar to gw2

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

I play Dagger dagger elem You know why? it require Fast hands like your playing on piano

+5 utilities 

30 buttons to click  and I don't look at key board  because when you fight is big zerks you must  watch out where you are going  and guess what as a Elementalist with lowest base hp and defence I'm almost allways alive neear commander how this happens . IKD maybe skill? good memory of skills and their CD

You understand that this huge number of skill and high lvl of personal skill is very important for a gameing feeling you will fell like a part of the world

BAD skill CD is in WOW to be honest after Gw2 I don't want to go back to that system. Gw2 is a little better which also gives you more time to enjoy the screen or only at screen because some time if don't dodge  red circle your wiped.

SO I'm against no CD for skills but I would be glad to see something similar to gw2

Its resources.....  You can only use a skill that many times untill you run out of juice... And major strong skills cost a lot of juice... You have 2 resources and you can not use the skills that require them all the time..  Its about timing your skills, switching from defense to offense..

you obviously have no real clue how the combat sytem will work

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

I agree. CDs feel artificial and needlessly restrictive. If the abilities are poorly-balanced then slapping a CD on them is a crude way of mitigating the problems that imbalance creates.

The resource management involved in an energy-based system is more intuitive and less arbitrarily restrictive. It allows for the dynamic of prioritizing some abilities in situations that warrant them, thus rewarding strategic gameplay. CDs are lazy, on paper. 

What will be important for Zenimax to get right is the amount of energy used vs. relative effectiveness of the governed ability AND the availability of Stamina/Magicka regeneration options. Imbalance here could have detrimental effect on the interplay of differing playstyles in a cooperative setting, and CATASTROPHIC effect on competitive gameplay balance.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I agree. Similar to the way I am handling my Minstrel in LOTRO :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i kind of like cooldowns.  I find combat with cd's to be less spammy and have a nicer flow to it.  it also helps make spells to feel more powerful and or situational.   
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    WOW like is boring but to have few skills will be a very very boring combat HOPE ESO will find the GOLDEN MIDDLE balance
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

WOW like is boring but to have few skills will be a very very boring combat HOPE ESO will find the GOLDEN MIDDLE balance

think of those skills in addition to the left and right click attack and blocking, at least that's the way it sounds to me.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Am I the only one who likes CDs?
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Definitely am not a fan of cooldowns for the reason the OP mentioned. Graphics have come so far in the last decade. It's a pity to have to spend most of the time looking at the toolbar to see when icons light up. Half the time I'm playing whack-a-mole in games, the rest is just rolling through a rotation that's (hopefully) setup to account for the cooldowns and procs. Neither take any skill. I like having abilities that I can use whenever I want. And as I get more familiar with the situations I'm placed in, I'll learn which of those abilities should be used and when.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    t copied gw2 combat system sigh sad and disapointed
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Tatercake

it's nothing like gw2 combat system. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

A resource, is a Defacto cooldown?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Or we can do what a lot of older and better MMOs did... you have a mana or endurance pool and the better move you use, the more it costs you.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by baphamet

think of those skills in addition to the left and right click attack and blocking, at least that's the way it sounds to me.

I think people are missing that. The main attacks will be with a simple weapon left click and a block right click with dodging as well. So a lot of the damage will come from your weapon of choice. Those who try to spam skills will run out of either magicka or stamina and have nothing left but a basic attack.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• RampajiRampaji Member Posts: 50

I dont mind CD or less CD as long the game actually feels like you achieve something when you beat the content! and not it's like a walk in the park!

EQ style i really liked, it was tough!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Rampaji

I dont mind CD or less CD as long the game actually feels like you achieve something when you beat the content! and not it's like a walk in the park!

EQ style i really liked, it was tough!

I agree... tough and rewarding,  and pennalties when you fail..

Makes me wondering why someone would like a wlk in the ballpark all the time?  

And it can be done with a good ballanced game... make higher level mobs really rewarding to hunt... and make lower level mobs less rewarding....    make a system that adds bonusses for stying alive while killing challenging mobs .. bonusses to stats, and when you die you loose all the bonusses,  (imagine how it feels when you loose that 50% stat bonus?)  on top of that,, they need to add more unpredictable and dynamic things, like trains and higher level patrolls, that make sure that you can never relax when out in higher level zones..

People would then have a choice, go for higher level content and a challenge but really much better rewards, or go for lower level mobs withouth a challenge but lacking rewards and taking much much longer to level.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

+5 utilities 

Its resources.....  You can only use a skill that many times untill you run out of juice... And major strong skills cost a lot of juice... You have 2 resources and you can not use the skills that require them all the time..  Its about timing your skills, switching from defense to offense..

you obviously have no real clue how the combat sytem will work

you also don't know since the damn game is not out yet, and yes I can see people abousing this kind of system anyway, so its nothing new, same old again

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nitth

A resource, is a Defacto cooldown?

Only if you blow your wad. You have to be a bit more strategic about what you use and when. You also have some active abilities that help you regen faster...such as the Sorcerer's Dark Exchange:

• [Active] Dark Exchange – Channel dark magic, restoring your own Health and Magicka at the cost of Stamina.

... or the Templar's Restoring Aura:

• [Active] Restoring Aura – When slotted; you have increased Stamina and Health regeneration. When activated, allies regenerate Health and Stamina at a faster rate.

...or the Nightblade's Siphoning Strike:

• [Active] Siphoning Strikes - Sacrifice a portion of your own weapon damage  to restore a portion of your Magicka and Stamina with every hit.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Elikal

Pft I haven't bought a game on CD for ages! image

Buut I agree, I dislike cooldowns as well.

Ha, that is what I was expecting when I saw the title. " who cares if they're not going to offer a box version "  ( they probably will)

I don't like spam combat so I can't say I agree with the no cooldowns being better. There are of course other ways to accomplish this but if it's just hit whatever attack you want whenever you want..I'm pretty meh about it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I agree, I hate watching hotbars for cooldowns to unlock. I would prefer situational skills and resources.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The similarities end at limited hot bars and weapon swapping.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by evilastro
    I agree, I hate watching hotbars for cooldowns to unlock. I would prefer situational skills and resources.

Do people really have to watch hotbars for cooldowns, though? I can't recall playing an MMO where I didn't have a good feel for any cooldowns that mattered after a few days of playing.

Honestly, between CD-bound and resource-bound systems, in my experience the latter requires more UI attention than the former.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I always tended to develop a basic understanding of cooldown timing for my characters. Even in LoL, CDR aside, I can remember and anticipate other champions abilities by remembering their cooldown times. This is the direction the genre is headed though. ESO and Destiny will bring more non-traditional RPG players in to the fold which will eventually translate into more action-oriented RPG's. Cooldowns are typically there to moderate the use for more powerful abilities which I tend to enjoy. The more you remove cooldowns the less powerful individual abilities are allowed to be. I personally enjoy variety.

really?

then you must not know what CD is because all Guildwars skills have a CD..

The only part of GW2 combat they copied is the targetting,     but skills, weapons, trinity, evading, blocking, all work very different in this game.