Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger - Pre-Alpha Screenshots

13»

Comments

• JamesPJamesP Portland, MEMember Posts: 479 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I would have to say something seems rather off with the water.  It seems to be popped out from the landscape or floating.  I can't put my finger on it bit where the rest of the landscape seems to go off into the distance the water seems to go straight up.  I am super tired and not explaining it well.   Maybe it is just the screen shot.  Specifically speaking of the last one.

No your right. There is a known Issue with Unity's default Water. It has some Z-fighting issues and shader issues where the water is drawn over the terrain's Billboard Foliage. It's not the final water System we plan on using so we were not to concerned with fixing it. We have a license for Suimono which is a really nice water system. I'll link a video to it so you can see what we have in store...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

http://www.greedmonger.net/forum/index.php

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Member Posts: 3,055 Uncommon
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by gigat
    I was wondering if you guys were still working on the game.  Thanks for posting the screenshots!  I'm glad you didn't give up!   I just have one request: don't accept anymore money until players are allowed to play the game!  I think the suspicion, paranoia and negativity started because of the crowd-funding.  Don't even offer pre-orders or founders packs until players and gaming press are allowed to play the game.   I wish you guys the best!

I believe a lot of the paranoia started when other developers who've worked with the Unity Engine for quite a while started to ask questions that Mr. Appleton wasn't able to properly answer. When people started to get concerned with him dodging crucial questions it started to blow up. Then it got personal and he started stomping his feet and claiming he'd start suing people and even came down to potentially physically threatening people.

I must have forgotten some of the details.  I remember they completed the crowd-funding campaigns, and then supporters were upset when there was some confusion about which engine was going to be used, and what the money was being spent on.  I was watching from the sidelines, so I may have missed some of the stuff that took place on their forums.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I definitely remember the litigation threats.  There was so much drama taking place that it was hard to keep track of it all.

Yeah, there's also quite a lot that I'm not fully aware of. Apparently some of it happened on their kickstarter site as well. There's so much negativity behind this project.

It all started on Massively I believe at least that was the first site Jason pointed out to me. We then assume that the person from Massively started following us around atleast it was the same message word for word that would be posted every where where we posted. On unity's forum we were nicely trying to talk to the person and assure them we were for real. It wasn't until it spread to the Wurm forums that things really started getting heated and we didn't handle the escalation the way we should have. Then the stuff on here is all history... 

You know, it would probably be best if everyone came out a just publicly apologized for all of drama that took place. Essentially restarting with a clean slate. Once again it'd also be nice to show a lot of progress that you've all made on the game because it looks like you all really haven't made much progress on Greed Monger; anyways best of luck and hopefully you all will turn this all around.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    I was wondering if you guys were still working on the game.  Thanks for posting the screenshots!  I'm glad you didn't give up!   I just have one request: don't accept anymore money until players are allowed to play the game!  I think the suspicion, paranoia and negativity started because of the crowd-funding.  Don't even offer pre-orders or founders packs until players and gaming press are allowed to play the game.   I wish you guys the best!

I believe a lot of the paranoia started when other developers who've worked with the Unity Engine for quite a while started to ask questions that Mr. Appleton wasn't able to properly answer. When people started to get concerned with him dodging crucial questions it started to blow up. Then it got personal and he started stomping his feet and claiming he'd start suing people and even came down to potentially physically threatening people.

I must have forgotten some of the details.  I remember they completed the crowd-funding campaigns, and then supporters were upset when there was some confusion about which engine was going to be used, and what the money was being spent on.  I was watching from the sidelines, so I may have missed some of the stuff that took place on their forums.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I definitely remember the litigation threats.  There was so much drama taking place that it was hard to keep track of it all.

Yeah, there's also quite a lot that I'm not fully aware of. Apparently some of it happened on their kickstarter site as well. There's so much negativity behind this project.

It all started on Massively I believe at least that was the first site Jason pointed out to me. We then assume that the person from Massively started following us around atleast it was the same message word for word that would be posted every where where we posted. On unity's forum we were nicely trying to talk to the person and assure them we were for real. It wasn't until it spread to the Wurm forums that things really started getting heated and we didn't handle the escalation the way we should have. Then the stuff on here is all history... 

You know, it would probably be best if everyone came out a just publicly apologized for all of drama that took place. Essentially restarting with a clean slate. Once again it'd also be nice to show a lot of progress that you've all made on the game because it looks like you all really haven't made much progress on Greed Monger; anyways best of luck and hopefully you all will turn this all around.

I am going to try and get Jason to make a statement during the interview. I agree with you that we should come out and publically apologize for our part. It doesn't matter who started it or who is to blame. Our handling of the situation was wrong and we need to take responsibility for it. 

As far as having more to show most of our core game play elements are finished and ready for testing. We built the game in such a way that each core element is it's own stand alone component. Everything was built completely isolated from the other systems. I had us do this so that we can start a Library of Game Systems that can easily be used as a base for future games. The more modular the components are that we create the faster we can get future games launched.

At the moment we are working on integrating all of our core systems into our Client and Server so then we can start testing as soon as possible. We already have our QA guys in there running around. The other night we had 4 or 5 of us in the world just running around and checking for bugs. I fixed several of them that night as we were running around and released several patches.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

The Interview we had planned for tomorrow is being moved back to sometime in December. Alpha will still be launching sometime before the end of this month however. 

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member Posts: 2,481 Uncommon

As soon as I read "fast travel mechanic", I lost all interest.  Not to mention being skeptical based on the name of the game alone.  Simply 'Greed' would be a far superior name, and still fit the idea.  I feel like a teenager came up with it.

Anyways, any developer that brings up fast travel as a primary mechanic in their game, I tend to stay away from.  Since fast travel isn't usually associated with horses or vehicles of any kind anymore, and often tagged to instantly teleporting around a painstakingly crafted environment, thus rendering the designers' jobs pointless.

I'm comfortable with personal binds.  Group portals crafted by magic users of the appropriate level, mounts and the most awesome travel mechanic of all, your feet!  I quit Warhammer Online and Rift the day that I experienced their dungeon finders.  Not because they found you a group, but because they instantly teleported you together, inside the dungeon or right outside the quest area.

I understand the convenience, I really do.  But personally, I have to be immersed into the game that I'm playing.  The instant travel that I mentioned makes me feel like I'm playing counter-strike, not an immersive MMO.

Originally posted by DAS1337
    As soon as I read "fast travel mechanic", I lost all interest.  Not to mention being skeptical based on the name of the game alone.  Simply 'Greed' would be a far superior name, and still fit the idea.  I feel like a teenager came up with it.   Anyways, any developer that brings up fast travel as a primary mechanic in their game, I tend to stay away from.  Since fast travel isn't usually associated with horses or vehicles of any kind anymore, and often tagged to instantly teleporting around a painstakingly crafted environment, thus rendering the designers' jobs pointless.   I'm comfortable with personal binds.  Group portals crafted by magic users of the appropriate level, mounts and the most awesome travel mechanic of all, your feet!  I quit Warhammer Online and Rift the day that I experienced their dungeon finders.  Not because they found you a group, but because they instantly teleported you together, inside the dungeon or right outside the quest area.   I understand the convenience, I really do.  But personally, I have to be immersed into the game that I'm playing.  The instant travel that I mentioned makes me feel like I'm playing counter-strike, not an immersive MMO.

Our Fast travel is based on a Map making skill. You need to have a high enough Skill level at making maps AND you have to have already discovered the area and made a map of the area before you can fast travel to the place. You also need to have the required amount of food in your inventory in order to be able to travel the distance.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

• coretex666coretex666 PragueMember Posts: 2,576 Rare

The graphics did not really blow my mind, but it is perfectly fine. I assume it wont be the main selling point of the game.

I consider it to be on a sufficient level to allow for an amazing MMORPG.

For me, these games are all about the design and game mechanisms.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Woodstock, ONMember Posts: 2,393 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I would have to say something seems rather off with the water.  It seems to be popped out from the landscape or floating.  I can't put my finger on it bit where the rest of the landscape seems to go off into the distance the water seems to go straight up.  I am super tired and not explaining it well.   Maybe it is just the screen shot.  Specifically speaking of the last one.

No your right. There is a known Issue with Unity's default Water. It has some Z-fighting issues and shader issues where the water is drawn over the terrain's Billboard Foliage. It's not the final water System we plan on using so we were not to concerned with fixing it. We have a license for Suimono which is a really nice water system. I'll link a video to it so you can see what we have in store...

Ah very nice.  I have played around with Unity a bit before but have not done much with water.  That asset looks great.  +1 for Unity (and your team).

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GaendricGaendric Member Posts: 569 Uncommon

- housing vid looks good, I like what you are aiming for. 

- characters are hard to judge, we don't really see much of them besides their backs. Could be bought test models, not sure they really fit in.

- artwork: Can't judge, you haven't shown us any yet. A random Unity landscape doesn't tell us much about your game, it just shows us Unity's landscape engine. Populate the landscape with your art assets, maybe implement a point of interest in detail to show off what style you are going for.

Thanks for your interest! However the landscapes shown aren't just generic Unity Landscapes. And the art assets used in them are in fact our own art assets that will be used in GM. These landscapes are actual places currently live on our Server. The Avatar System we selected for use is the UMA Avatar System currently in Beta. Again they aren't just place holder assets but are the actual Avatars being used in the game. The skins will most likely be upgraded to Photo Realistic skins though.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Pittsburgh, PAMember Posts: 1,392 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Encephalitis
    Lol'd at the name. Looks alright tho, mind dropping any hints at what the game might be based around? Or is it to early for speculation.

As a player you will have your choice of being a team player and helping to craft and shape the world or be a Greed Monger keeping your abilities/Skills, land, ect. to your self. It's a bad thing to be a Greed Monger in Greed Monger but it's your choice to make...

When the Game first launches there will be nothing but Terrain, trees, water, rocks, animals, ect. It's the players job to build up the cities and craft all of the items in the game.

PvP will be limited to a specific Climate (Volcanic Lands) and then extended upon after launch to include special Islands out in the Ocean.

Crafting will be a major focus of the game since every item in the world will be player crafted. You will be able to build your own house and then craft items to place in your house. You can Farm on your land to obtain food which then is used in our Fast Travel mechanic.

Pets/Mounts will be included though we have released very little details on them so far. Mounts include anything from Animals that you can ride to boats and larger naval battle ships which will be added post launch.

Quests are an optional source of content for those who enjoy doing quests. We will give more details on Quests later on.

Guilds/Factions are planned but not much work have gone into them just yet so there isn't many details right now. 

Oh, that sounds a lot more fun that I thought it would be based on the name.  (Was imagining a crime lord sim, the confused by the naturalistic landscape, lol)  Yay crafting! ^_^  Nice to hear that there will be quests too - so many crafting-focused games have no NPCs and hardly any quests...

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • GaendricGaendric Member Posts: 569 Uncommon

The feature list sounds great.

I really like the "players will build & craft everything" approach.

My bad for missing that point earlier, explains why the landscape shots look  like 100% nature. Fits well into the theme.

Only thing I'd add is natural points of interest, so that  the images have a more personal (as in less generic) feel. Images that later on instantly get associated with your game. 

Looking forward to hearing more.

Here's a sneak peak at some stuff that will be coming to Greed Monger sometime soon!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCMember Posts: 4,818
    Here's a sneak peak at some stuff that will be coming to Greed Monger sometime soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFS8efnKzA

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCMember Posts: 6,435 Uncommon
    didnt this game get removed from this site for some legal issues?

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Hampshire, AZMember Posts: 576 Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    didnt this game get removed from this site for some legal issues?

Yes it did, as I recall MMORPG.com was being threatened with a lawsuit by the game's developer because people were pointing out the game's many flaws and issues on the forums. So MMORPG.com just outright removed the game and it's forums.

This thread shouldn't exist. The game's developer saw to that.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Uncommon
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
13»