Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen hits 28 Mil Tuesday, 29 Mil Friday, and 30 Mil Saturday, 31 Mil today!

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    I really hope they deliver on this game. It looks like the kind of space/sci-fi game for which I've been waiting. The ship designs are sweet . I especially like the armed freighter...like Serenity in function with some bite. Would love to be able to actually take contracts for bounties,smuggling and transport in a "real" fashion (meaning like Firefly,the Millennium Falcon, Cowboy Bebop style with actual travel to other planets..ship interior during travel..etc). Hopefully I will be able to in this game.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Every time I read something about this game I think..."Doesn't Eve already exist?"

but an EvE universe with joysticks and cockpits and story does not exist.

This huge gap will finally be filled by SC

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Every time I read something about this game I think..."Doesn't Eve already exist?"

Meh. The two games have so little in common except both being SciFi that I dont see why people compare them.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Koukos2004
    whats crazy is so much money people donated for a game maybe 2 years away....if they dont just grab the cash and dissapear in the sunset...

Just prove's how stupid some mmo players are. And whats really sad is they don't think something like that won't or can't happen. But more game companies are watching this like a hawk. Put up some vaporware and promise the mmo you've dreamed of but we need your money to make it. Man 5 years ago gamer's would laugh at that.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Lots of story in Eve. Its just not a overly scripted reoccurring in your face mechanics like in most MMO's. Lots of lore and story to be had.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Portal:EVE_Chronicles

Oculus Rift with EVE EVR!!! - E3 2013......cockpits.....dog fights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWKpjwxNIMI

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by hfztt

Meh. The two games have so little in common except both being SciFi that I dont see why people compare them.

This is from the Star Citizen web page. Can you really say the games have little in common. Change Star Citizen to Eve and it describes both games equally as well.

Say goodbye to the class-based MMO leveling systems. Star Citizen doesn't introduce arbitrary limitations to drive players to continue to play: it creates an experience they will want to come back to, where their own skill is the limit of their abilities. Whether you want to haul cargo while dodging pirates, join the military, be a smuggler of illicit goods, run a successful corporation, or even be a pirate there are dozens of ships at your disposal all the way from single seat fighters to corvettes to 2km long carriers that can be captured by an intrepid group.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Every time I read about a High Fantasy game I think. . . "Doesn't WoW already exist?"

Ever time I read about a MOBA I think. . . "Doesn't Defense of the Ancients already exist?"

Ever time I read about a FPS I think. . . "Doesn't Doom already exist?"

Evertime I. . . . . . I could keep going, but I'll stop.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by hfztt

This is from the Star Citizen web page. Can you really say the games have little in common. Change Star Citizen to Eve and it describes both games equally as well.

/Facepalm

How can you not understand that Star Citizen is a first person space sim with cockpits. Here think of it this way: WoW is a first person simulation of medieval ages.  Anything wrong with that statement? Well that's what you made EvE look like.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Now at 33 Mil and climbing. 
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Hmm pay people to make a game, for which they will charge a fee, to play the game.... Seems legit
  • Cabbagehead664Cabbagehead664 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Hmm pay people to make a game, for which they will charge a fee, to play the game.... Seems legit

There is no fee to play the game, for people that backed both games or at least one of them and they are only doing this until release or sooner. There is no sub and no one is forcing anyone to do anything given the game is already funded.

do your research plz, makes your post mean something...so yea it is legit.

• HealingHandsHealingHands Member Posts: 9

Guyz we R 33 mil NAO you get new ship!!

Raze 1 mo MilLy get ONE MO' SHIP!! 

ONE SHIP ONE MIL BUY NOW!!!!

-=@||starCitizen||@=-

JK hope Roberts pulls this off. Nothing but respect for the guy but anyone else think dangling 1 new in-game asset per $1,000,000 sounds a little ridiculous?

• Cabbagehead664Cabbagehead664 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by HealingHands

-=@||starCitizen||@=-

JK hope Roberts pulls this off. Nothing but respect for the guy but anyone else think dangling 1 new in-game asset per $1,000,000 sounds a little ridiculous?

Well it doesn't cost that much to make one in-game asset and the rest goes to other areas of the game. But yea it is baiting , but hey more money for the game the better.

plus http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/27/chris-roberts-can-build-you-a-star-citizen-space-fighter-for-35/

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Cabbagehead664

-=@||starCitizen||@=-

Well it doesn't cost that much to make one in-game asset and the rest goes to other areas of the game. But yea it is baiting , but hey more money for the game the better.

plus http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/27/chris-roberts-can-build-you-a-star-citizen-space-fighter-for-35/

Best part of that article ...........

Once conceptualized, ships are given a detailed wrapper made up of up to seven million polygons, for the game's largest carriers. In contrast to current-generation games, the Star Citizen Kickstarter page noted that most 'AAA' games today have "10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle." A single fighter in Star Citizen, the campaign page claims, is built with 300,000 polygons.

Star Citizen has so much potential ..... unfortunately until we're all playing it that's all it is.  I'll remain hopefully optimistic until I see reason to think otherwise.

~Hairysun

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Hairysun
    Originally posted by Cabbagehead664

-=@||starCitizen||@=-

Once conceptualized, ships are given a detailed wrapper made up of up to seven million polygons, for the game's largest carriers. In contrast to current-generation games, the Star Citizen Kickstarter page noted that most 'AAA' games today have "10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle." A single fighter in Star Citizen, the campaign page claims, is built with 300,000 polygons.

Star Citizen has so much potential ..... unfortunately until we're all playing it that's all it is.  I'll remain hopefully optimistic until I see reason to think otherwise.

~Hairysun

only 30 cent $ per polygon? pretty cheap, I'll take two polygons please

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113
    Honest to God question here...how does a game like Camelot Unchained made by a well-known guy and based on a well-known game only raise 2 million dollars while a game that came out of nowhere by a name ive never heard of raise 30 million? Is there something im missing? Do people just want a different space game that badly?
  • ScubaSteve34ScubaSteve34 Member Posts: 18
    Your missing everything actually... google the Developers name and look on wiki. Hes pretty much the Space Sim king.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by ScubaSteve34
    Your missing everything actually... google the Developers name and look on wiki. Hes pretty much the Space Sim king.

Pretty much this, nothing but respect for Chris Roberts.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

~Hairysun

This is the greatest example of using players lack of knowledge about game development to build up hype. Marketing at it's finest, no lies, just turning everything around to make it sound good.

30,000 polygons for vehicle is a number for action game, where you have entire environment composed of millions of poly's, buildings, flora, characters etc. etc. When you get into a spaceship you have... space.... and planets....  space game should be counted like a racing game, where the main focus is the vehicle a player is using at the moment, and environment is kept in the background and isn't as rich. In that case, game from 2011 like Forza 4 has cars going up to 1 million poly per car. Now having that information, it doesn't sound that awesome, huh? Great marketing, seriously. Also poly count isn't proportional to quality, but that aside... that aside... wow, just wow... the poly count part made me giggle.

Nothing against the game itself, just that article part.. I had to make it clear so people won't get fooled.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Financially supporting games that aren't even made yet. You really think the developer is going to hang on your every gaming desire cuz you gave them 100 bucks? Gamers will never learn.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by ace5572
    Honest to God question here...how does a game like Camelot Unchained made by a well-known guy and based on a well-known game only raise 2 million dollars while a game that came out of nowhere by a name ive never heard of raise 30 million? Is there something im missing? Do people just want a different space game that badly?

You've never heard of. However, plenty of people know the Wing Commander series from the 90's, and Freelancer from the early 2000's.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

This is the greatest example of using players lack of knowledge about game development to build up hype. Marketing at it's finest, no lies, just turning everything around to make it sound good.

30,000 polygons for vehicle is a number for action game, where you have entire environment composed of millions of poly's, buildings, flora, characters etc. etc. When you get into a spaceship you have... space.... and planets....  space game should be counted like a racing game, where the main focus is the vehicle a player is using at the moment, and environment is kept in the background and isn't as rich. In that case, game from 2011 like Forza 4 has cars going up to 1 million poly per car. Now having that information, it doesn't sound that awesome, huh? Great marketing, seriously. Also poly count isn't proportional to quality, but that aside... that aside... wow, just wow... the poly count part made me giggle.

Nothing against the game itself, just that article part.. I had to make it clear so people won't get fooled.

While I do see where you are coming from with the difference between space type environment and a ground based one I don't see the intentional deceit you speak of.  They are basically saying it's going to have great graphics.  Great graphics with realism in mind.  You are right though, all the poly talk, CryEngine3 talk, 4K resolution talk is just that ...... talk.  Until we are sitting in a ship thinking damn that looks good it's all a bunch of talk.      

Although we are talking about a game that hasn't been released yet, the in game engine movies they have been releasing pretty much speak for themselves in my opinion.  

SHIP COMMERCIALS LINK:  Don't forget to bump it up to 1080p ..... 4K I suppose if you have the monitor real estate.

If that's what it looks like when I'm playing the game they can go on about the quality of the graphics all they want.

~Hairysun

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Camelot Unchained = An MMORPG that appeals only to a minority of MMORPG players with absolutely no appeal outside of the market

Star Citizen = Not a MMORPG.  A Space Sim game that has some cross over appeal to MMORPG players.  It appeals to a significantly bigger market than a PvP-centric fantasy MMORPG

Also, DAoC has nostalgia, but its a fairly recent game.  Wing Commander, thats full blown nostalgia.  And a lot of those Wing Commander fans have lots of disposable income to throw at SC.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

While I do see where you are coming from with the difference between space type environment and a ground based one I don't see the intentional deceit you speak of.  They are basically saying it's going to have great graphics.  Great graphics with realism in mind.  You are right though, all the poly talk, CryEngine3 talk, 4K resolution talk is just that ...... talk.  Until we are sitting in a ship thinking damn that looks good it's all a bunch of talk.      

Although we are talking about a game that hasn't been released yet, the in game engine movies they have been releasing pretty much speak for themselves in my opinion.  

SHIP COMMERCIALS LINK:  Don't forget to bump it up to 1080p ..... 4K I suppose if you have the monitor real estate.

If that's what it looks like when I'm playing the game they can go on about the quality of the graphics all they want.

~Hairysun

There's nothing there that simulates a gameplay experience except maybe the brief shots of from the cockpit.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Well, a few factors here.

Kickstarter: The Star Citizen kickstarter also raised about 2 million dollars if I remember right and they came into it with an already announced product that already had some visibility, not to speak of a quite cool trailer and Chris Roberts himself coming back to gaming.

But then Star Citizen continued to get donations and if you multiply those 2 millions of the kickstarter per 12 months... you get 24 million dollars :)

Then the difference between the two personalities. Mark Jacobs is famous with the MMO crowd only and he has been making MMOs all this time, so it is not much of a surprise that he is doing.... another MMO.

Chris Roberts is one of the pioneer of this hobby. His name is remembered with the likes or Richard Garriot, Sid Meier, Peter Molyneaux and others. You might not know who he is, but the first and second gamer generations surely do and guess what? Most of their supporters are in their late 20s or 30s-40s so they are right there in the middle of that. Furthermore, many of the gaming press ARE of that period and they know who Chris Roberts is.

He made several games, most of them space simulations, and they were all really good games and all quite successful, then he left the gaming industry due to several problems with... the publishers! in particular Microsoft in this case (though EA bought off his first company, Origin Systems, so he has experience with 2 of the biggest publishers of the time).

After leaving, he went to Hollywood and became a successful movie producers involved in projects like "Lord of War" and "Lucky Number Slevin". I can only assume that during that time he learned a lot from the movie industry how to market and present a product to the public and we all know they are (mostly) very good at that. (He also surely learned a lot of cinematography and how to keep your audience satiated... just look Wingman's Hangar and compare its quality with the average crowdfunded product and you realize CR brought with him a skilled movie crew)

So, imagine it. Which of these is the better news? "Well known MMO maker is making yet another MMO"

OR

"Legendary game developer returns after years of absence with a product due to be the spiritual successor of ALL his best known games!"

Finally.. the genre. Fantasy MMOs? pffft, you cannot throw a stone without hitting one or five.

Space simulations? well... mmmmh, there have been a few (like Evochron, Dark Star One, the X series etc.), but none of them ever reached very big mainstream levels also because they were, at best, "good". We have not had any big profile Space Sim in a Loooooooooong time and this genre used to be hotter than FPSes are now!

Before KOTR, the best Star Wars games were without a doubt the X-Wing and Tie Fighter series of games.

In conclusion and TL;DR:

Star Citizen's numbers are not so impossible. 300K subscribers in an MMO would not even make you blink and 33 million dollars are not so great a sum for game development... plus they have been collecting that money for a great deal of time from a mature fanbase with disposable income that has been without a decent game in this genre for a decade or more.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"