Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

No Man's Sky: Looks like Star Citizen and Elite just got a new contender

Comments

• NimerosNimeros Gig Harbor, WAPosts: 14Member
    Uh...wow if it is truly procedural then yes that looks freaking amazing. Is it CryEngine based?

• tom_goretom_gore TamperePosts: 1,796Member Uncommon
    Looks interesting, but very raw still.
  • DibdabsDibdabs FelvershamPosts: 2,604Member Uncommon
    Without any link to the game development site it's no more than a CGI movie.  Pity -  I'd like to play a game like that.
  • RuienRuien Durant, OKPosts: 39Member

Not even close to Star citizen or even elite for that matter. The flight looked really really bad with graphics from 2000 era. The weapon fire was so bad I cringed and it tracked from the edge of the rock but only blew a ship size hole right in the middle?

Naw not even in the same ball park as SC or elite.

• XAleX360XAleX360 PescaraPosts: 397Member

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Without any link to the game development site it's no more than a CGI movie.  Pity -  I'd like to play a game like that.

CGI movie? It's 100% gameplay, it's obvious if you take a look at the video.

Originally posted by Ruien

Not even close to Star citizen or even elite for that matter. The flight looked really really bad with graphics from 2000 era. The weapon fire was so bad I cringed and it tracked from the edge of the rock but only blew a ship size hole right in the middle?

It's stylized graphics and it looks awesome, even if a bit rough - but it must be pre-pre alpha. Also, it's a 4 man studio, but they already have working seamless transitions while Star Citizen only promised to add them at some point. 

With the visibility they got yesterday I'm pretty sure they'll get the funding and help to make it truly a contender with SC. I hope they both turn out great.

Founder, CEO & Editor in Chief of Worlds Factory, a brand new videogame and entertainment online publication.

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member
    Looks amazing, I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.
  • goboygogoboygo Posts: 787Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Originally posted by Dibdabs

CGI movie? It's 100% gameplay, it's obvious if you take a look at the video.

It's stylized graphics and it looks awesome, even if a bit rough - but it must be pre-pre alpha. Also, it's a 4 man studio, but they already have working seamless transitions while Star Citizen only promised to add them at some point. 

With the visibility they got yesterday I'm pretty sure they'll get the funding and help to make it truly a contender with SC. I hope they both turn out great.

"Stylized" graphics to me means we aren't good enough to make realistic graphics, game looks terrible, like wow in space.

"Fighting Internet stupidity one post at at time"
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,062Member Uncommon

Lol, you obviously didn't watch the vid or if you did you had your eys closed.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,901Member Uncommon

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member
    Originally posted by goboygo

"Stylized" graphics to me means we aren't good enough to make realistic graphics, game looks terrible, like wow in space.

Aren't good enough? Oh the ignorance...

It's a choice, slick. They could have chosen ANY graphical style they wanted, they chose to go with stylized (I would assume for performance reasons primarily).

Are you really that narrow minded?

• ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,230Member Uncommon

errmmm.. you see ONE video...

and you go full hype again?

seriously? how about you wait for some more infos before you jump out of the window.

no idea how one single vid manages to "contend" with a 29 million $ budget and one of the best space game designers in the history of space flight games ^^ 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc PinheiralPosts: 351Member
    impressive.
    Originally posted by Thane

seriously? how about you wait for some more infos before you jump out of the window.

no idea how one single vid manages to "contend" with a 29 million $ budget and one of the best space game designers in the history of space flight games ^^ 

You see a simple harmless statement and go full ballistic over it? Calm down...

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

Cant please them all....
    It dint look bad tbh, kinda liked their style :)
    looks like indie games are getting on par with 100 million dollar studio's ^^
    keeping a close eye on this one.

• ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,230Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Distopia

yea, a simple statement claiming a game (seen in one vid) could go up toe to toe with the upcomming primus'.

seriously, if you say "uh this car is able to mess with a ferarie!" it should be fast, no? whatever. go ahead.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Quazal.AQuazal.A PrestonPosts: 494Member Uncommon

Excuse me if im misread this but your statement is one long pot calling kettle black.. on one hand you say "and you go full hype again?"

and then on other you say  "one of the best space game designers in the history of space flight games ^^  " < he made  2 games which would even be in the top 10 not like he made 7 of the 10, this guy isn't the spielberg / cameron / Scorcese of games more like Richard kelly (google him you should know film not director)

So how did long ago did he release a game??  - And his releasing games on schedule is an interesting read

Please dont try and put someone down who says 'looking nice' and call it full hype when you praise a guy who hasn't done anything since PCs had mutlicore CPUs yes its that long ago.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game :) were of course your welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

Hardcore SC fan?

Bad day?

Mental condition?

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon

I can't believe you are getting bent out of shape for a simple comment such as, "This is looking nice".   Considering 2 space games that are multi-player are currently in the works and now a 3rd is announced, then yeh it does make it a contender.  Specially if the planets are mostly procedural.   However, I believe Cryptic said STO was going to have that too way back in early development and we see that never really panned out.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• killahhkillahh calgary, ABPosts: 437Member

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/3hpqoi/no-man-s-sky-vgx-2013--world-premiere-trailer This is looking nice.

yea, a simple statement claiming a game (seen in one vid) could go up toe to toe with the upcomming primus'.

seriously, if you say "uh this car is able to mess with a ferarie!" it should be fast, no? whatever. go ahead.

And yet, star citizen is all promises and Roses so far, as well as elite.
    You guys need to calm down a bit, nothing is released, playable, all you have are promises at this point.
    All three show promise, that's it.

Gonada Dahung,over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting....Please Lord, let someone make a game that had all the awesomeness of UO, EQ and EVE...

First it's a game of the same genre as the others, second it seems to be offering similar features in terms of planetary as well as space travel in and out of a ship, third it will be contending for the same types of players. That doesn't say it will win or even be good, it's just acknowledging it's existence and where it will stand (ie in contention). There's no hype involved in that. If anyone here is showing themselves to be overhyped, it's you with your "no one can compete with these guys" attitude.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo SwinoujsciePosts: 383Member

You can't compare things that don't exist, unless you are comparing promisses, in which case do whatever you want.

The graphics are actually pretty advanced technically, if you have any clue about those things. They are also stylized to look that way, so it may not fit your taste, but don't say they are aged or technically behind, because you show how little you know about what you are talking about.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted SomewherePosts: 121Member

Looks great OP thanks for the link.

• NimerosNimeros Gig Harbor, WAPosts: 14Member

Today I learned that Star Citizen fans are apparently rabid.

I would play  a graphically inferior game (which it is not, the video quality could be better and the graphics appear stylized) if it meant that there were literally thousands of planets that I could hop in and explore at any time. Procedurally generated worlds are very interesting, so I am glad to see someone pushing ahead with tech for it. And so far, the four man indie studio is showing gameplay that is showing features that SC only has in the works.

Don't get me wrong, I love SC and pledged for it. But I would love more games and a greater variety, so I won't be putting other games down simply because they are in the same genre. And this post isn't even hyped, if I saw the video on the net then I would place it as a contender to the other two, simply because it is.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

Made by four people.  Given that, Star Citizen with its millions of dollars in handouts pales in comparison to what just four people are able to accomplish.

Game has an incredible scale and is extremely ambitious with features and mutliplayer.

I'd love to see what they could accomplish if they had the size of dev team or budget Star Citizen has, but even without it it was the big surprise hit of VGX.

No begging and handouts required.  Just staggering creativity and hard work.

El Psy Congroo

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon

Im so glad more and more developers embrace the procedural approach to worlds. God, i always hated when devs said their worlds were 100% handcrafted like it was something positive and in result we got tiny, cluttered islands where you cant go five feet without jumping onto a monster or other stuff.

The game looks very nice and ill be watching it closely for sure.