Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will be such a letdown for so many people

SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

The amount that has been raized is amazing tho..

i think this game will be an epic single player experience tho.. grafhics wise maybe gameplay wise aswell.. it will be nice..

BUT

So many people think this game will be MMO and this is just not the case..

It will be heavy instanced zoning.. with limited amount of players in each zone.. think maybe like AOC zoning. (100 players in each zone?)

i think it will be even  an HUB game where you  que up for missions to coop with others into a zone..

Believe it or not alot of people will be let down..

Comments

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Every game is a let down for many people. Thanks for creating awareness!
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Of course people will be let down. Games are always everything people want them to be prior to release because it's easy to project their desires onto them. Happens every time, Star Citizen will be no different.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Only those that can't be bothered to do a simple 5 minutes of research would be let down. The information is out there for all to see, be it at wiki or the roberts space industries website.

Anyone claiming to have been misled will have only themselves to blame.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    OP is spot on though.  This is not EVE with better graphics.  This is mostly a single player game with hub based multi player support.   I'm not sure if everyone understands this.  The game will most likely be an amazing single player experience.  Something like Skyrim in space.  But this is not some massive persistence online experience.  There will be a very clear line between what you do by yourself and what you do with other people.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

100 vs 100 isn't bad it really depends on how they develop the game I mean 100 players fighting 100 players at the same time isn't a bad thing they are likely trying to keep it scaled down due to lag in combat and keep the game smooth if they are doing this.

They could make the game a big flop yes, but it could also be a good game too it really depends on development and actually playing the game I will leave them my feedback as soon as I get into the Alpha/Beta ^^.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

One thing I've noticed is that CIG is the most transparent companies I've ever seen.  There are constant updates on the SC website from new people they have hired to explanations of in game systems they have nailed down.  It is so different from the multi month black out periods seen with most game companies.  Everything about this feels so different from any other game production I have seen over the years.

I suppose the argument could be made that it is just part of the hype that needs to be maintained to keep the money flowing.  

Will there be this massive let down cry upon release of the game?  Sure, there will always be those that don't take advantage of the transparency and are expecting something else.  When their expectations aren't met off to the forums they will go.  On the whole however those that frequent the SC website are going to know exactly what to expect.  I do know what to expect and I don't think the goals Chris Roberts has established are unreachable.

~Hairysun

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Snoepie

It will be heavy instanced zoning.. with limited amount of players in each zone.. think maybe like AOC zoning. (100 players in each zone?)

Great! People usually annoy the hell out of me anyway. Can't wait to not have to deal with massive amounts of players all trying to shoot the same space rat on launch day.

• R3ckless0neR3ckless0ne Member UncommonPosts: 6
    You  will never get the 100 players in each zone due to the fact players can have npc in sqaud that will take the slots of the players,  its a shame I think the game needs alot more players in same zone .
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by goboygo
    OP is spot on though.  This is not EVE with better graphics.  This is mostly a single player game with hub based multi player support.   I'm not sure if everyone understands this.  The game will most likely be an amazing single player experience.  Something like Skyrim in space.  But this is not some massive persistence online experience.  There will be a very clear line between what you do by yourself and what you do with other people.

Seems like you described exactly what many here say millions of MMO gamers want from a game - a massively singleplayer Skyrim-like experience with other people around only when the player wants them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Renoaku

100 vs 100 isn't bad it really depends on how they develop the game I mean 100 players fighting 100 players at the same time isn't a bad thing they are likely trying to keep it scaled down due to lag in combat and keep the game smooth if they are doing this.

They could make the game a big flop yes, but it could also be a good game too it really depends on development and actually playing the game I will leave them my feedback as soon as I get into the Alpha/Beta ^^.

It won't be 100 vs 100. It will be 50 vs 50, max. Not a bad thing necessarily, depending on what you're looking for.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    The instance limitations aren't even the reason why people will be let down.  There's going to be lawsuits and blood before history is written on Star Citizen.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    There's going to be lawsuits and blood before history is written on Star Citizen.

Care to elaborate further on this? I'm intrigued.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

So, like every other video game known to mankind, particularly ones hyped up? The more we hype a game, the more let down people are when it doesn't live to their hype. While some will remain in constant denial, desperate to make that 'hype' they had be true and lying to themselves about it, I'm sure there will be plenty more who will be angry and upset that its not that glorious impossible game they imagined. 

People get hyped for things and expect things that bluntly technology can't support, or at the very least a majority of people's systems can't handle. The mind can imagine things far more crazy and complex that we just can't expect any game to handle.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Purutzil

So, like every other video game known to mankind, particularly ones hyped up? The more we hype a game, the more let down people are when it doesn't live to their hype. While some will remain in constant denial, desperate to make that 'hype' they had be true and lying to themselves about it, I'm sure there will be plenty more who will be angry and upset that its not that glorious impossible game they imagined. 

People get hyped for things and expect things that bluntly technology can't support, or at the very least a majority of people's systems can't handle. The mind can imagine things far more crazy and complex that we just can't expect any game to handle.

As long as people say " it wont happen to me, I'm being realistic " they should be fine ....:)

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

People that are backing it because they want a modern space sim probably wont be disappointed.

People that are backing it for a fresh MMORPG will likely be disappointed.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Only those that haven't been bothered to do five minutes worth of reading will be disappointed. I think the underlying question should be, "Why are so many people wanting it to fail?" I think there are a lot of people as well as executives that are scared to death that this game will not only be successful, but help change the shape of how games are made.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Yeah I was looking forward to this game then I read about this PvE-slider thing they have.

This is no sandbox, no way. Hardcore my ***, they are patting the single players on the shoulder again. As usual.

l'll stick with EvE, thanks. Unfortunately there is only one developer that has the balls to make a real online sandbox -} CCP

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48
    L O L, thanks for the laugh.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by DocBrody
    Yeah I was looking forward to this game then I read about this PvE-slider thing they have.This is no sandbox, no way. Hardcore my ***, they are patting the single players on the shoulder again. As usual.l'll stick with EvE, thanks. Unfortunately there is only one developer that has the balls to make a real online sandbox -} CCP

So you are one of the Goons that got baned on the RSI forum?..

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Anyone who purchases, installs, and starts playing this game thinking that they are playing a dedicated MMO has far bigger problems than being disappointed by a space opera shooter. Like remembering to breathe.

For the rest of the world (aka people who know how to tie their shoes) disappointment or lack thereof will depend on how well designed the game is, like any other game.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    Only those that haven't been bothered to do five minutes worth of reading will be disappointed. I think the underlying question should be, "Why are so many people wanting it to fail?" I think there are a lot of people as well as executives that are scared to death that this game will not only be successful, but help change the shape of how games are made.

No one is saying the game will fail. The game is set to be amazing for what it is...

This issue is people will be disappointed at what it is and what it isn't...

I personally know people are tossing money at the game because of fellow guildmates are doing it...no research or background on it...just a lot of "well I guess this will be our next title, so I will pitch in" money...

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

This game has the most transparent development of any game in history. Every aspect of the game is described in the most minute details over and over again in interviews, a weekly show, almost hourly posts by the entire dev team answering questions and so on. The shear amount of information available on this game so far is totally incredible considering how early in development it still is. If someone is let down it's their own fault as the info defining exactly what this game is going to be is all right there at robertsspaceindustries.com for anyone that takes the trouble to go and look.

If you don't know exactly what this game is going to be it's your own fault for not doing a little research.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Naowut
    Every game is a let down for many people. Thanks for creating awareness!

+1 ^this^

Guess the OP felt the need to state the glaringly obvious that you can't please everyone.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Immersion in Oculus Rift will far outweight any cons. In any case Star Citizen is the only MMO that is really worth waiting. What else? TESO which is just another quest themepark?
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

My main gripe with this game lately is this...they seem more interested increasing their funding than pushing the game out. So much effort seems to be going into silly promos and features that seem to only exist to entice more people to give them even more money so they can make even more useless features and promos.

With each new million dollars raise, we get a new ship type....i hopes its a lot of ships for each time, cuz I can make a crapload of ships for a million bucks, given the average artist salary.

Its the equivalent of you donating a hundred bucks and getting a used eraser from the back of a pencil as a reward. 

Just get to alpha already, please.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature