Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Digging and Destroying in Trove Alpha

2»

Comments

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148

As one of the alpha players, I can tell you that the game is looking great even in it's infancy. Before you put the game down, try playing it and then maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. Tron devs are doing a wonderful job on this game and it is only gonna get better with time...

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

Another paid for article, no doubt. Got to pay the bills somehow. This game, like defiance and trion is rubbish. Rift was a fluke and is not even THAT good as a fluke.  I suspect trion dishes out a lot of funds for these articles.  If I was mmorpg.com I would keep on posting them, paying the rent in these tough times is not easy.  And most mmos out suck, just flat out suck. 

Cheers. 

• RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    200$ to get an instant alpha key. LOL!
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    wonder when next alpha wave will happen
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by wabben77

I didn't like minecraft because it was mostly about building cool stuff (which is fine), but I didn't play much because the combat was pretty bad. No abilities to use, no progression, the "dungeons" you find have identical creatures in them and nothing special.

Terraria basically fixed all the things about minecraft I didn't like. Awesome combat, awesome crafting, awesome exploration and discovery. The only problem is, 2d sidescroller :( :(. I still played the heck out of it and had a blast, but always hoped there would be a 3d game with the same concepts. This looks like it could be it and I can't wait.

Why are you not playing Wurm Online, the daddy of all vortex and terraforming games.

People bang on about minecrasft but it was Wurm Online that paved the way.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I actually prefer the look of this compared to Landmark.  Trove looks like an art style, Landmark just looked old and unoriginal.  Trove seems to be more about the adventure, Landmark seems to be more about grinding a lot or buying mats from SoE.  I really don't think they are very similar games.  However if Landmark wants to appeal to the graphics lovers, they need to do a whole lot more graphically, and if they want to appeal to the builders they need to make sure that it isn't grindy and the build tools are great.  Trove doesn't seem focused on graphics at all, and building seems more like a side activity.  That means they need to really nail the gameplay and adventure aspects.
  • Hordequester8Hordequester8 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

Um..I think the point is that it is still technically a MMO. Being that your cornerstone will move with you from world to world. It's equivalent to standard MMOs 'zoning' to other maps. Those aren't MMOs by your definition either since there can only be a hundred or so people in any map at any given time. I guess it depends on your perspective.
  • MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Won't play another Trion game. They lost me as a customer.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Well, you've got to give Sony credit for at least trying to evolve the graphics and world editor of Minecraft before pushing out their clone.

You look at this video, and you don't need more than 30 seconds to see it is an inferior Minecraft clone. Very strange direction for Trion to go.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

What is all this bitching about how Trove is just a another ripoff of all these other dozens of RPG Voxel Games?

What are these games?

I've tried to help my obsessed nephews install vague mods for Minecraft and when I'm helping them all I can think is "what is this crap, he doesn't even know what these mods do and half of them are bugged.  I should teach this kid how to play a MMO'.  But I know it's cool for 8 year olds to jump around and bust shit so that's fine.  And the graphics don't appeal to me.  Then I watch him spin around in circles for 5 minutes fumbling with a third rate interface.

Vox - Don't see a lot of depth so I've never bothered. 

Cube World - Maybe I'll try it when it's finished.  Graphics seem to be the best out there without messing with mods.  Mods drive me nuts.  When I start I can't stop.  I've probably spent more time modding Oblivion and Morrowind than actually playing.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Developers should understand this, what people liked of minecraft was the sandboxz not the cubes.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

Actually Trove looks slightly better than Cube World but since it's $200 for the Trove beta and only $15 to buy the Cube World beta then I choose Cube World.

Sorry, that should be €15 for the Cube World beta.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Ok that sounds good :)