Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Shadowmantle Goes Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Shadowmantle, the second content expansion to Neverwinter, has officially launched. Shadowmantle brings an impressive array of new features into the game, including the Ranger class, collections, new interfaces and much more.

• Hunter Ranger playable class: This new class is deadly from afar and has incredible damage capabilities up close as well. Log in and play as one now!

• Hunter Ranger Boost Pack: This pack is now available for purchase in the Zen Market. Get a head start on your new Hunter Ranger!

• Dread Ring Campaign: Enter the Dread Ring and encounter new foes. If you survive, you'll be able to face Valindra Shadowmantle herself.

• Active Companion Bonus System: Each active companion will grant bonuses for your character giving you an extra edge in combat!

• Collections System: Track all of your existing loot and hunt for new loot, including missing set items, with this system.

• New Paragon Paths for existing classes: New skills are now available for existing classes! Which path will you choose? Learn more about it here in part one and part two of our Dev Blogs.

• Artifacts System: This new item type is now added to Neverwinter. These items will become permanent fixtures for your character, and will be able to level up and get more powerful as you advance.

• Sword Coast Adventures (coming very soon!): Send companions out to complete tasks to earn rewards and gain companion experience, all through the Neverwinter Gateway!

• Item Progress System: Read more about changes and improvements to the fusing system in Neverwinter.

Read more about all of the new content at any of the links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I imagine that two character slots limit for F2P is going to annoy some people right about now.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Methos12
    I imagine that two character slots limit for F2P is going to annoy some people right about now.

Character slots are one of the more reasonable purchases in the Zen shop. $5 for 2 additional character slots and there's a 33% off sale this week.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Chadiwicker

Character slots are one of the more reasonable purchases in the Zen shop. $5 for 2 additional character slots and there's a 33% off sale this week.

Charging for character slots is almost as dumb as respecs. People can just create new accounts

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

God only knows why you'd want to play through this game more than twice.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'll probably get around to playing this someday, right now I'm too busy being a pirate in AC4 lol.  Haven't been on WoW in awhile either...bloody pirates messing with my MMO time.  I want to play hunter, I like GWF, want to check out the new paragons as well :)
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I hope this can breathe some life back into this game for those that still enjoy it.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I hope this can breathe some life back into this game for those that still enjoy it.

I enjoy it even though it isn't quiet finished yet but I think the cash shop model is going to drive me away. I have no problem with paying for things but they've just about gone overboard.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Decent game, but I'll say one thing negative: a game that only launches with 5* classes probably shouldn't be charging for a 6th in an expansion. That class should probably come standard. 

* Calling Guardian Fighter and Great-Weapon Fighter two different classes has always been a stretch for me. In any other MMO, they'd be considered the same class but different spec. IMHO, that felt like an eleventh hour attempt to pad an unreasonably shoddy line-up of classes and make it only about half as shoddy as the average MMO.

• ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by umcorian

Decent game, but I'll say one thing negative: a game that only launches with 5* classes probably shouldn't be charging for a 6th in an expansion. That class should probably come standard. 

The Hunter Ranger class is free. There is no cost to be able to play the Ranger.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

God only knows why you'd want to play through this game more than once.

FIFY

I play the game and the content just doesn't pull me in like in other games. You can breeze through 1-50 in less than 3 months.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Good feature additions.

Content? Poor.

They are shaping the game pretty good with nice class specializations and the collections and stuff.. hopefully gearing up and getting everything ready so they can flesh out the actual gameplay with a decent expansion or something.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    10 dollar 24 slot bags 35 dollar mounts 300k astral diamond cost for upgrading a white companion to green 750k for green to blue and 1.5 mil to purple from blue... A lock box drops from killing mobs about once every 3 or 4 minutes to the point of stacks upon stacks. You can earn maybe 20k astral diamonds a day at 60 they expect you to spend lots of cash and nickle and dime the living hell out of you for just about everything in game . Even the new enchantment system costs astral diamonds for each fuse. Great dungeon crawler game made by a okay company but their parent company perfect world is doing every thing they can do make sure no one wants to keep playing it with all the price gouging in game.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by cronius77
    10 dollar 24 slot bags 35 dollar mounts 300k astral diamond cost for upgrading a white companion to green 750k for green to blue and 1.5 mil to purple from blue... A lock box drops from killing mobs about once every 3 or 4 minutes to the point of stacks upon stacks. You can earn maybe 20k astral diamonds a day at 60 they expect you to spend lots of cash and nickle and dime the living hell out of you for just about everything in game . Even the new enchantment system costs astral diamonds for each fuse. Great dungeon crawler game made by a okay company but their parent company perfect world is doing every thing they can do make sure no one wants to keep playing it with all the price gouging in game.

+10000

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Deeter

Charging for character slots is almost as dumb as respecs. People can just create new accounts

I have account wide perks like mounts and companions. The $5 for 2 slots makes more sense. I make characters not throwaway toons so I don't mind spending some money instead of rerolling. I guess it's perspective.

Yep, but there's still some thruth in that post, in f2p games char.slot purchase is mostly a convenience since you can make new accounts even by the dozens if you like. But i agree, it's much easier to have them all in one place.

It's not a big one anyways, now with the sale, only 335 Zen. With the current AD rate it's roughly 160k AD for the absolutely free players. 160k for 2 character slots is not that much I think.

True, not much but it's not free either :) I've tried to find the interview for an hour, but couldn't... Before Feywild, when it was clear that no new class is arriving with that module, there was an interview where the guy said, when the new class will be released later, they'll give an additional character slot with it. Then it was quickly muffled ofc, and no word, no mentioning of that since then :) Now here's the ranger, and only a char.slot sale came with it, no free slots - which isn't a surprise ofc.

300k astral diamond cost for upgrading a white companion to green 750k for green to blue and 1.5 mil to purple from blue...   Even the new enchantment system costs astral diamonds for each fuse.

Upgrading a companion is just a waste of AD, much better to simply convert the AD into Zen and purchasing a purple from the store, those are the best ones anyways.

Agree on the new system, even wrote about it earlier... Not to mention they updated the Coffer too, alongside the update yesterday, so you'll have much fewer green wards (previously it always gave a green ward, and very very rarely a Coal. one. Now it can also drop profession items. You can guess which one will be the most frequent drop, the prof.items, or the wards... :) )

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

Couldn't of said ti better myself.  I was stupid enough to pick up the $60 founder pack.  While its one of the better packs (having a tier 3 (purple) mount and companion on every new toon I create is nice.  But, the game could of been pretty decent.  The cash shop is such a turn off.  If they cut those prices like 60%, I promise they would make double profit compared to now.  I went back yesterday to try out the Ranger.  While it was pretty fun (not as much fun as my rogue).  I truthfully can't convince myself to play thru the same quests again.  Especially when You get your standard bag and 2 small bags from quests.  Leaving 2 bag slots empty unless you buy them from the cash shop.  If you like the combat system.  I recommend going to Tera.  The combat system is better there and the F2P system is actually pretty fair.  

And Astral diamonds, what a crook of shit.  Oh, and the gold you make in game is basically for "kits" and repairs.  The auction house doesn't even take the in game currency.  Only the cash shop Astral diamonds. 

Last thing.  I only noticed today that Neverwinter is now on Steam.  They also have a "steam exclusive" starter pack for $20.  You get a bunch of worthless items and a black panther companion.  You know, like the one people paid $200 (Hero of the North) to get.  

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Nothing impressive about this game until they fix the item shop.  Until then it will continue to be the POC it is.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by umcorian

The Hunter Ranger class is free. There is no cost to be able to play the Ranger.

I stand corrected. Cryptic, I salute you. 

we should be fair though here the cash shop is 150% perfect world Int. and not cryptic. Thread after thread pops up on their official forums only to have the mods censure a lot of posters complaining about the cash shop. If you look at all the PWI games though out there , all have insane prices on their games and the company is one of the worst of the asian free to play companies for pay to win. If Cryptic had any sense at all they would try whatever measures they have available to buy back their company from this scam artist publisher PWI. Everyone of those guys soon will be looking for jobs or stuck working on mediocre free to play asian garbage from PWI if they do not do something because PWI hasnt changed their game prices in their shops for years and I highly doubt they will ever. I know if I owned a company PWI is one of the last publishers I'd ever want to be associated with as they scream shady mediocre games and high ripoff cash shop prices.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    we should be fair though here the cash shop is 150% perfect world Int. and not cryptic. Thread after thread pops up on their official forums only to have the mods censure a lot of posters complaining about the cash shop. If you look at all the PWI games though out there , all have insane prices on their games and the company is one of the worst of the asian free to play companies for pay to win. If Cryptic had any sense at all they would try whatever measures they have available to buy back their company from this scam artist publisher PWI. Everyone of those guys soon will be looking for jobs or stuck working on mediocre free to play asian garbage from PWI if they do not do something because PWI hasnt changed their game prices in their shops for years and I highly doubt they will ever. I know if I owned a company PWI is one of the last publishers I'd ever want to be associated with as they scream shady mediocre games and high ripoff cash shop prices.

PWI is profitable, they should be with those outrageous item shop prices, and they bought a very unprofitable Cryptic.  I will admit it is a pretty good game as long as you avoid the item shop, but then, the game is designed so you really can't.

Supporting games like this just sends a wrong message to publishers that they can rip you off with very expensive item shops.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Vutar

Aren't F2P games wonderful? Welcome to the future, as proclaimed by the F2P crowd.

It's only 200k for putting the free companions up, but it does seem like a waste. You can do a lot in this game for free. You get three bags for free from following the main story, and if you sell most of your stuff, it is enough but if you are a pack rat then you will probably be paying money. The best way to get Astral Diamonds in this game is to just grind on a main. Get your Leadership up, do all the Astral Diamond Dailies and you can probably get a few hundred thousand by the end of a week. Not to mention grinding for gear than salvaging it or selling it on the Auction Hall. It's easy to get Diamonds, you just need to really work at it.

Originally posted by reploidx

Aren't F2P games wonderful? Welcome to the future, as proclaimed by the F2P crowd.

It's only 200k for putting the free companions up, but it does seem like a waste. You can do a lot in this game for free. You get three bags for free from following the main story, and if you sell most of your stuff, it is enough but if you are a pack rat then you will probably be paying money. The best way to get Astral Diamonds in this game is to just grind on a main. Get your Leadership up, do all the Astral Diamond Dailies and you can probably get a few hundred thousand by the end of a week. Not to mention grinding for gear than salvaging it or selling it on the Auction Hall. It's easy to get Diamonds, you just need to really work at it.

actually the easiest way to get astral diamonds is to setup a fake email and do the 3-4 survey limit on their earn zen tab which nets you 200k in about a hour. Ive actually spent about 100 bucks on this game off and on since release and bought the ranger pack on release but this game to anyone that isnt willing to grind or waste a hour a day doing 3-4 surveys its a rip-off no way for anyone to sugar coat it for sure. The best possible thing you can do now is buy the faewild pack for 60 bucks and you get the bind to account purple mount and pet for all your toons and the extra slot but to anyone whos serious about playing the game past level 20 when you get stacks and stacks of runes and enchantments you will need a 24 slot bag or two for the last two slots and thats another 20 bucks.  If you do not buy a pack you are going to be stuck with cash shop gouging beyond the fifth degree on all your toons or be stuck with a very crappy white companion and white mount or grind your ass off for months maybe even a year to get anything decent .

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Deeter

Which makes it easier to mule and other things.  It's what I did.  1 Main account. 1 Foundry account and 1 Mule account.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Meh I just installed this game again to give it a try again because some friends I know talked to me about playing it.

But the game doesn't seem worth playing.

1.) PWI has better customer service than Gamers First, or Nexon, that is a given.

. But PWI is also about Money, Money, Money always pay 2 enjoy the game.

2.) Remember when the game was out the Astro Dupe Exploit, a lot of us asked that the server be wiped, PWI Declined to wipe it, and worst of all I knew of one of the guilds who openly admit to cheating on this game in fact the guild Kicked me as a member for threatening to expose the cheaters who were openly duping in this game, and cheating other games rather than being like, You are right, we are going to deal with this issue and remove all the cheaters, they removed them but only after massive public exposure.

. The problem however is that the dupes really ruined the economy and they never did a complete wipe this was during the beta.

3.) I looked at the character models, and they are the same type of character models as used in STO, the lack of freedom to customize, and unrealistic skinning keeps me away from this game. I mean I Like D&D series great games, but PWI, and Turbine can't design a good game if they could I would be playing it right now.

4.) The other thing that turn me away again is the $100 Founders packs, I would rather pay a $15 a month fee for a MMO than to spend $100 and keep having to spend not to get what I am really looking for in a game.

. Instead of PWI making content packages for this game I think they should focus more on putting in realistic avatar mesh, adding free customization to the game, add optional subscription packs, and make the game less Pay 2 Enjoy then I would actually play the game.

5.) I know this is totally unrelated to this game, but lets look at the lack of Innovation for example, GW2 is another game I like I think the artists did a great job, but I feel the game lacks too much content which it should have like no skill customization, no housing, no freedom to freely customize my character, limits on crafting skills. This is the reason I don't stay around playing GW2 for a long time only login  to the game to do dailys/monthly. If the devs of GW2 would actually make the game more unique instead of wasting time on useless Events they do and saying its an ever-changing world, then I would likely play the game a lot more.

. And compared to Launch the player-base of GW2 has decline a lot, I was there at launch on this game.

. In other words what I am saying is Never Winter lacks a lot of content that a 2013/2014 MMO should have, Even Square Enix is adding these features with 2.1/2.2 patches in Final Fantasy, and its only $15 a month, so if they can do it why can't other games that have been out for longer do it within this time, there is honestly just no excuse that games should not have good content like this, or like Kingdoms of Amalur which is a single-player RPG.

. They can keep trying to bring players in by introduction of a new class, or Collections system, but it is just a grind fest to try to keep players playing, and I am not one of those players who sticks around just because you stick in a simple quest which even I could program into a game myself easily just by typing a quest line putting go here do this its very simple, and players who see this over many years of MMO gaming get sick of it after many years of seeing the same thing done many times.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by reploidx

Or you could just pay 66 cents a day and have a fully functioning MMORPG that does not nickle and dime you to death. 14.99 * 12 (sub) + 60 (the game itself) / 365 = 66 cents a day for hours of entertainment per day/week.

That .66 cents per day is not spent well.  I still have to go through the low level shenanigans with limited inventory space and mediocre gear that looks like a ragamuffin.  Or I can spend $20-50 per character and never have to worry about being nickel and dimed to keep the carrot on the stick on my face.  At least with a F2P I know when I'm done I am done.  Also .64 cents of that is spent on content and systems I either don't enjoy or are meant to keep people around not named azzamasin. I'd rather spend all my money on things that will benefit me and not some basement dwelling, unemployed college drop out living with his folks who plays for 18 hours per day.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The combat in the game is fun, but none of the existing classes really appeal to me. Waiting for druid and spellblade.