Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual tabletop war games

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

With the recent rise of online TCG's I wonder if there's any plan to do the same for tabletop war games.

It fits the same payment model perfectly.  You can buy virtual miniatures in sets or singles.  Of course it would have to be a lobby game but you can play 1v1, 2v2 or 2-4 man free for all.

The only drawback is the time needed to play one game can be the on long side.  Depending on the size of the armies the players agree to it can take a couple hours for a single game.

Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• Interesting thought. I have never done tabletop war but I might give it a go in that case.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I see the potential

http://www.cardhunter.com/game-info/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/17/wot-i-think-card-hunter/#more-169230

Part deck-builder, part tabletop RPG and part turn-based tactical brilliance, Card Hunter isn’t as simple a thing as the rather unenticing title suggests.

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226

I am not sure if this is what your looking for. There will be a way to play remotely.

http://golemarcana.com/

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

I found this over the weekend. You can play D&D and other tabletop pen and paper RPGs over the internet. Plus you can video chat and it intergrats with google+ hangouts. I'm trying to set up a campaign atm.

http://roll20.net/

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339
    It is being done, and in a completely free environment. Second Life has a whole underground for digital tabletop players, just takes a bit of digging. There was a MMORPG streaming exactly this last week. :)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Nadia

I see the potential

http://www.cardhunter.com/game-info/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/17/wot-i-think-card-hunter/#more-169230

Part deck-builder, part tabletop RPG and part turn-based tactical brilliance, Card Hunter isn’t as simple a thing as the rather unenticing title suggests.

that does look pretty nifty.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by AshGUTZ
    It is being done, and in a completely free environment. Second Life has a whole underground for digital tabletop players, just takes a bit of digging. There was a MMORPG streaming exactly this last week. :)

I didn't know that.  Second Life isn't for me though, the players are a little too serious about it for my taste.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Vasel

I am not sure if this is what your looking for. There will be a way to play remotely.

http://golemarcana.com/

That sounds really interesting even though it is still a tabletop game.  Especially since the minis are already painted.  When I tried Warhammer 40k, I thought the worst part of it (besides the price tag) was the painting!  Strange, I love building models but I hate painting them.

Allowing you to play remotely over your phone or tablet is cool twist on an old idea.  It harkens back to the days when people played Chess through the mail.

-- Herman Melville

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by dave6660

Games Workshop allowing people to play the Warhammer tabletop without investing thousands of dollars into their products? Haha!

Originally posted by TheMaahes

Games Workshop allowing people to play the Warhammer tabletop without investing thousands of dollars into their products? Haha!

I'm just hoping they digitalize it.  They can certainly sell virtual minis much cheaper than real ones.  Then we wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on a single army.

-- Herman Melville

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

The folks at Privateer Press are setting up a PC version of their tabletop battle game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409030043/warmachine-tactics

Looks pretty interesting.

T

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Looking for PC boardgames, myself, I saw Days of Wonder had some of theirs on Steam. So I went there and searched for "board games." Memoir 44 is available (free), though from this excerpt of the game, I am curious how it plays:
    "The first 2 scenarios, Pegasus Bridge and Juno Beach, are entirely free. Other scenarios require the use of Gold Ingots (Memoir '44 in-game currency). You receive an initial 50 Free Gold Ingots to try these out. Play beyond that limit requires the purchase of additional Gold Ingots."

I'm still browsing through the list, but thought I'd share that :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Looking for PC boardgames, myself, I saw Days of Wonder had some of theirs on Steam. So I went there and searched for "board games." Memoir 44 is available (free), though from this excerpt of the game, I am curious how it plays:
    "The first 2 scenarios, Pegasus Bridge and Juno Beach, are entirely free. Other scenarios require the use of Gold Ingots (Memoir '44 in-game currency). You receive an initial 50 Free Gold Ingots to try these out. Play beyond that limit requires the purchase of additional Gold Ingots."

I might have to give it a try.  The only game I've heard of from Days of Wonders is Ticket to Ride.

Do you know if they keep to the real board game or try to turn it into an RTS?

-- Herman Melville

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by greenreen

I think the mail is vastly underused. I was thinking the other day that I can't think of one game that has used it to keep people engaged.

I think it would be fun if a game had products that came to you in the mail when you made accomplishments.

Say you were there a year - a certificate comes in the mail. Each year you get a new cert.

You were top crafter or top pvper or top whatever, again a tiny package from the company, paper based.

When you install the game, what if about a week later you got a celebratory mousepad or keyring or some stickers. Stickers become advertisement when used!  

Of course, this can only be done in games with an entry fee.

Virtual dice that you can plugin to a USB port, roll them and the system can tell what it landed on sending back a response to the USB. That's what I really want to use for any RNG, let meeeeeee roll the dice boogerbreath then I know you didn't cheat. That one thing alone would probably amp me up for a game, some cool electronic gadget required for gameplay.

Don't consider it off-topic, it's bringing paper into the virtual world.

your post reminded me of these. http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/activision_patches.html

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"The first 2 scenarios, Pegasus Bridge and Juno Beach, are entirely free. Other scenarios require the use of Gold Ingots (Memoir '44 in-game currency). You receive an initial 50 Free Gold Ingots to try these out. Play beyond that limit requires the purchase of additional Gold Ingots."I'm still browsing through the list, but thought I'd share that :)

I might have to give it a try.  The only game I've heard of from Days of Wonders is Ticket to Ride.Do you know if they keep to the real board game or try to turn it into an RTS?
    Sorry, Dave, I do not know.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I play mage knight, incredibly complex and satisfying - you can even play 1 player against the board. Recommend it if you want a complex game that will take hours to play.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I detest the pay models of these games,i will never support one ever again,it took me two times to learn my lesson.

They are always designed to keep you spending enormous amounts of money,they do this by out dating  your last purchases and making everyone keep up by buying the newest and next best thing.It never takes long before your initial spending is completely outdated ,like tossing money out the window.

I would prefer to see none of these games ,they are ripping people off of their money using the same hook n bait technique.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I play mage knight, incredibly complex and satisfying - you can even play 1 player against the board. Recommend it if you want a complex game that will take hours to play.

I already own Mage Knight :)  I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Most of my board game time lately has been spent playing Dominion.

-- Herman Melville

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

With the recent rise of online TCG's I wonder if there's any plan to do the same for tabletop war games.

It fits the same payment model perfectly.  You can buy virtual miniatures in sets or singles.  Of course it would have to be a lobby game but you can play 1v1, 2v2 or 2-4 man free for all.

The only drawback is the time needed to play one game can be the on long side.  Depending on the size of the armies the players agree to it can take a couple hours for a single game.

"the time needed to play one game can be on the long side".

Not really.  Many of the wargames I know of operate by one guy doing his move and the other guy get's an e-mail notice telling him it's time for his turn and you then go back and forth until the game is over.  The one's I know of are all lobby games so finding an opponet doesn't take much for the more popular games.  One of these is:

Battle Academy - Slitherine Ltd             

It's WWII.  Now it is a $ game with the expansions each costing too, but you can just buy the one's you like.

Or there's the good old-fashioned e-mail game's.  Plenty of these would fill you fantasy bill.

The main listing I know of is:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/pbm_list/

"This is the PBeM & PBM List, a list of all known Play by Email and Play by Mail games. ... Old-school superhero PBEM looking for players".

Other is:

http://www.ongoingworlds.com/

"We love play-by-post roleplaying games. No other type of game allows you as much creative freedom. You can invent all aspects of your character's personality and put them through any storyline or adventure. You really are in control of the story."

Check out game's like these, they may me what you're looking for.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

https://www.mwtactics.com/

Is this something you are looking for?

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    D&D and Forgotten Realms have been adapted to videogames since the early 80's.   Games Workshop made the leap back in 1991 and have adapted most of their games to videogame form.  Heroquest, Space Hulk, Bloodbowl, Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, Epic 40k, Warhammer Quest have all been made in to video games.  The newest version of Space Hulk came out this year.   

I might have to give it a try.  The only game I've heard of from Days of Wonders is Ticket to Ride.

Do you know if they keep to the real board game or try to turn it into an RTS?

Sorry, Dave, I do not know.

gah!

also, i still can't figure out why no one has made the 3d chess game from Star Wars yet!

each piece battles it out to determine whether the spot is taken or not, rather than the traditional rules of move-take, etc.

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by aspekx

also, i still can't figure out why no one has made the 3d chess game from Star Wars yet!

each piece battles it out to determine whether the spot is taken or not, rather than the traditional rules of move-take, etc.

There have been a few of those

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archon:_The_Light_and_the_Dark