Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Landmark: What Is EQN: L?

Comments

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Originally posted by Kyleran

What is EQN:L?  A clever way to sell you a single game twice.

Wait they said It will be F2P   I don't get you're point

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Ok I can't resist anymore. This game is going to be fucking awesome. Crafting, exploring, building. All the stuff I love in MMOs.

Sold.

Originally posted by jonesing22
    Originally posted by Sephros
    Wait so is this game like minecraft with random world generatation. Gathering items to crat and create. Ala minecraft survival mode. Or is this some lame creative mode game where everything gets pulled out of tabs in your inventory because you want a house there. Im confused.

Yeah, I am curious about this too. For me, minecraft creative mode is boring.

It's going to be like Survival mode. You'll have to gather the mats, the recipes, etc. You might have to fight monsters to get the fancier stuff, too.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rinna

I find Dave Georgeson to be as likeable as John Smedley is unlikeable.

I hope EQNext has a subscription option.  

I still disagree with Smedley's FTP is the future BS.  

I agree with all 3 points  -- I removed one line because I've always liked SOE games

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

No matter what type of system they will implement, you don't have to be a developer or genius to know, that they won't port your dick towers, dream castles and all the other random, personal preference stuff into the other game. If anything, they will pick few of the more professional stuff, that appeals to masses. Something that can be used in gameplay in any way. Things that are created by talented players, selected few of the best works. No reason to trash their new game with random stuff, that few people may find interesting.

Don't you think it would be stupid to make two games, and put a little bit of everything into both? What is the point of that... Landmark should be about building, and all activities that are related, and EQN should be about all the player interaction and character progression. What is the point in sticking PvP in both games, other than splitting resources to make worse building experience?

Building is boring? For other people mindless slashing up monsters with keyboard is boring. Some people find creating something beautiful that will persist in virtual world more interesting, if you are not one of those people you shouldn't be in a sandbox game forum.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I want to know at 4:29 you see this Mech like thing, can you make it work. For example in Planet Explorers you can actually make all sorts of vehicles and they actually work ingame, that is if you put everything well and working together..hehe.

Curious how far EQL goes.......

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    I always loved building housing in Ultima Online, EQN-L may end up being pretty good, will have to see in alpha :)

Ding ding ding ... that is exactly the feeling I get when looking at this video. i dont even care if the two games are connected or not connected or whatever. I just want something new and fresh that is not the same old rehash with a different skin.

I am playing DayZ epoch right now quite a lot and the most interesting aspect of that to me is you can build your own fort, house, safe place, ect... Its rather detailed and takes some time and effort so I am compelled to get back in and back to work on my project. I want that same feeling of purpose in an MMO.

• WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Amjoco

To be honest, I will probably buy the game and play it, I like trying new things, but I don't want to be bored within a week of playing. The only thing I see in the near future that remotely interest me is Gloria Victis because it looks like what an RPG should be (IMHO).

Ok, at least two people have mentioned buying this game. I was under the impression that this and EQN where going to be free games. Is this not the case? As for my opinion of the game, it looks pretty darn sweet to me. I even like the graphics that most folks seem to hate. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by keglo
    Originally posted by Amjoco To be honest, I will probably buy the game and play it, I like trying new things, but I don't want to be bored within a week of playing. The only thing I see in the near future that remotely interest me is Gloria Victis because it looks like what an RPG should be (IMHO).
    Ok, at least two people have mentioned buying this game. I was under the impression that this and EQN where going to be free games. Is this not the case? As for my opinion of the game, it looks pretty darn sweet to me. I even like the graphics that most folks seem to hate. 

Founders packs for early access is what people are talking about, If you wait till the official release date is will be f2p.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

This game is actually MORE appealing to me than EQN is.

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    This game is a hyped up Disney overlay minecraft wrapped up using the legendary EQ name .

They already said it was F2P then a month ago you can purchase some pre founder pack for $99

It's total pile of shit

You mad bro? it's for early forum/game access and perks...and no other game gives you these features at this quality level

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

To answer a few questions raised here from what we know so far:

EQN:L will be more like minecraft survival mode but supposedly you can move your plot if you don't like your neighbours anymore (or what they build). Not clear if mobs can destroy or damage what you build, probably not, but mobs will be ressource nodes. Unclear if there is PvP too or sieging, but it is definitely not going to be enforced as playstyle.

There will be leveling in EQN:L for your crafting skills it seems but definitely tiers of material, tiers of tools (what tier of material can you use/harvest/gain), subtiers of tool quality (how fast can you gain/harvest).

The worldbuilding/modelling tools of EQN:L are show in the video, but the speed only works if you have the materials for this. So basically you work to get materials, then you can use these with the worldbuilding tools shown. Getting the material can take a long time. You can save a structure/building as template, offer it for sale and then rebuild it quickly by "filling" it with the necessary materials. But again: the time consuming part is getting the materials first.

Edit: They sell currently special packs that will allow early access to alpha or closed beta with items/outfits and other perks, but EQN:L will be F2P once release is there. The difference between EQN:L and EQN is that the later will have events and quests and such, is so to say a curated world where player can do only very limited things to the terrain or buildings or such if at all, so it is more a common MMO where you follow the story and impact it and perform tasks etc.

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• kostanzakostanza Member UncommonPosts: 59

Last I heard, EQNL was nothing more than a building platform.  It isn't a "game" so much as "here's some space...do stuff to it".  The reason people are hyped for it is because SoE claimed that if you make really really cool crap in EQNL it might become part of EQN. 

Mostly, it looks like just something to hold your attention while they try to figure out how to make EQN...after all, it wasn't long ago that SoE ALLEGEDLY scrapped EVERYTHING and started over...about 2 months before the screenshots began and they started asking through polls how respondents wanted them to make their game, I think.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Valkyrie

To answer a few questions raised here from what we know so far:

EQN:L will be more like minecraft survival mode but supposedly you can move your plot if you don't like your neighbours anymore (or what they build). Not clear if mobs can destroy or damage what you build, probably not, but mobs will be ressource nodes. Unclear if there is PvP too or sieging, but it is definitely not going to be enforced as playstyle.

There will be leveling in EQN:L for your crafting skills it seems but definitely tiers of material, tiers of tools (what tier of material can you use/harvest/gain), subtiers of tool quality (how fast can you gain/harvest).

The worldbuilding/modelling tools of EQN:L are show in the video, but the speed only works if you have the materials for this. So basically you work to get materials, then you can use these with the worldbuilding tools shown. Getting the material can take a long time. You can save a structure/building as template, offer it for sale and then rebuild it quickly by "filling" it with the necessary materials. But again: the time consuming part is getting the materials first.

Edit: They sell currently special packs that will allow early access to alpha or closed beta with items/outfits and other perks, but EQN:L will be F2P once release is there. The difference between EQN:L and EQN is that the later will have events and quests and such, is so to say a curated world where player can do only very limited things to the terrain or buildings or such if at all, so it is more a common MMO where you follow the story and impact it and perform tasks etc.

Thank you very much. This cleared up a few things for me and you did it in a simple and concise manner. /bow

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Anyone who doesn't think F2P is the future is simply deluding themselves. This next wave of sub games will likely be the last. Same way back in the day when games started going to monthly fees instead of by the hour people refused to believe it would last. Even consoles are starting to release a bunch of F2P titles.

Landmark itself looks great but I don't think it will be for everyone.

The comment about giving us the tools to make a game are meant to be exactly what he said. In theory they are giving you the tools to create your own mmorpg if you so choose. You can fuss with the AI, mobs in the area etc and create your own dungeon as an example. Whether they are able to pull that off or not is going to be a huge part of what makes or breaks the game for me, until I see it I can't believe it.

Also for the moving water comment. They said that things like this would be in eventually. Things like opening doors etc. But again until I see it I'm dubious. They clearly want these in the game, but who knows if they can pull it off.

Originally posted by kostanza

Last I heard, EQNL was nothing more than a building platform.  It isn't a "game" so much as "here's some space...do stuff to it".  The reason people are hyped for it is because SoE claimed that if you make really really cool crap in EQNL it might become part of EQN. 

Mostly, it looks like just something to hold your attention while they try to figure out how to make EQN...after all, it wasn't long ago that SoE ALLEGEDLY scrapped EVERYTHING and started over...about 2 months before the screenshots began and they started asking through polls how respondents wanted them to make their game, I think.

Last time you heard must've been a while ago, then. EQN:L will be a game, very much. It just won't have much (or any) ready-canned themepark content. It's a procedurally generated world with the emphasis on crafting, building and exploration.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I'll be having a good look at Landmark and EQN to see if I like it..  We shall see how it all turns out.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Can it be true? It seems SOE is finally on the path of redemption...

First Planetside 2 which is brilliant (yes it is, I started playing a couple of weeks ago and don't care about what went on before) and now this?

Talk about an about face - from the company which basically led the crusade against sandboxes and player-driven experience with godawful NGE and EQ2, now they are at the forefront of all things sandboxy.

Call me cynical, but I do question their motive, NGE and EQ2 were inspired by success of WoW and now, obviously, SOE looked at Minecraft and said "hey we'd like some of that pie." Oh well, I don't care, I plan to thoroughly enjoy EQN and EQL like I'm enjoying PS2 (the exact opposite of everything today's tightly-plotted hideously bloated FPS-s stand for). However,  I just can't help but be a little sad we had to go through all those years of theme park terror until the big companies finally realized what was pretty much obvious from day one - if i want to play Wow, I'll play Wow.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by HighMarshal
    I still want to know, can create a moving waterfall and maybe even a stream or river?

Liquids are still being worked on, but they are gonna be in. In voxel engine the water is moving and flowing so i would assume it be the same in EQN/L assuming they get it working hbow that want it.

Here a vid bout voxel engine water physics and stuff in a basic form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7StkhRvBIo i would assume SoE looking to make it more advance and more detailed.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Call me cynical, but I do question their motive, NGE and EQ2 were inspired by success of WoW and now,

WOW didnt launch until a month after EQ2 - there was no success to be inspired by in the creation of EQ2

features that EQ2 has that WOW never had

- player housing

- public dungeons

- optional level scaling (mentoring added post launch in Feb 2005)

- shinies / collections

- player written books

- appearance gear (WOW added this Nov 2011)

Wait so is this game like minecraft with random world generatation. Gathering items to crat and create. Ala minecraft survival mode. Or is this some lame creative mode game where everything gets pulled out of tabs in your inventory because you want a house there. Im confused.

It is basicly Minecraft survival, you need to gather the resources before u can build it. You also need to craft better took to harvest high en resources. Think of it as a more advanced minecraft.

Originally posted by Kyleran

What is EQN:L?  A clever way to sell you a single game twice.

Except the game is free.

Originally posted by Vivasvan
    This game is a hyped up Disney overlay minecraft wrapped up using the legendary EQ name .

They already said it was F2P then a month ago you can purchase some pre founder pack for $99

It's total pile of shit

20-99 dollars and that just garantee earl yaxcess to beta/alpha and so on + some items that u can make in game later just gives u a little boost/perks but not required.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Very boring.

Seriously! you watched that vid and found it boring lol?

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Call me cynical, but I do question their motive, NGE and EQ2 were inspired by success of WoW and now,

WOW didnt launch until a month after EQ2 - there was no success to be inspired by in the creation of EQ2

features that EQ2 has that WOW never had

- player housing

- public dungeons

- optional level scaling (mentoring added post launch in Feb 2005)

- shinies / collections

- player written books

- appearance gear (WOW added this Nov 2011)

While this is technically true I believe my gist still stands - I consider those days truly dark ones for the genre and online gaming as a whole. Everybody and their dog jumped on the story train, quite seriously pontificating that player experience is too important a matter to be left to the uncouth mob and shold be exclusive province of those better suited to know "what's best" - the players were here only for the ride, tightly strapped in and furiously protected from any experience not previously envisioned by the designers, hence the designation "themepark".

There had to appear something like Minecraft to finally hammer home to the "powers that be" that interactivity goes both ways (duh) and that an opportunity to express creativity is an integral part of enjoyment of what we call games. You know, otherwise we would call them movies with a glorified pause button or an occasional puzzle break or something. MMORPGS have always struck me as the video game genre with the most potential in that respect, particularly because of the ever-present audience in the shape of other players. I'm still pretty disappointed that pig-headed myopia of purse holders, unable to see the new genre for what it is, combined with vastly oversized fears of "griefers", held the back the conceptual development of mmos for so damn long.