Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: A Video Preview of Patch 2.1

2»

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Foomerang

And I could be wrong, but I think its more than a barbershop. I think we get a new non combat class in Aesthetician, complete with mainhand/offhand (comb and scissors) and an outfit. Not sure if the class gets abilities but it still looks pretty cool.

I haven't heard that aesthetician is a class. I'd go as far as to claim it won't be. But I've heard that there are quests included (as seen in the trailer).

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Foomerang And I could be wrong, but I think its more than a barbershop. I think we get a new non combat class in Aesthetician, complete with mainhand/offhand (comb and scissors) and an outfit. Not sure if the class gets abilities but it still looks pretty cool.
    I haven't heard that aesthetician is a class. I'd go as far as to claim it won't be. But I've heard that there are quests included (as seen in the trailer).

Yeah it was pure speculation on my part. Whatever it is, I am glad that added this feature and can't wait to mess with it.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Looks like a nice solid patch coming down the pipeline! I for one can't wait for the cap increase on myth tomes. I have a whole lotta classes that need to be upgraded. Housing looks like a good addition too. I like the way they incorporate houses in a zone. I just wish there were more than 30 spots.

Anyway gotta set up the wife this weekend so she can join me and our daughter finally. And it was all thanks to that awesome Thanksgiving sale.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Looks like a nice solid patch coming down the pipeline! I for one can't wait for the cap increase on myth tomes. I have a whole lotta classes that need to be upgraded. Housing looks like a good addition too. I like the way they incorporate houses in a zone. I just wish there were more than 30 spots.Anyway gotta set up the wife this weekend so she can join me and our daughter finally. And it was all thanks to that awesome Thanksgiving sale.
    Keep in mind that its 30 guild houses in a single instance. Those things are gonna be packed with people. Even if just a handful of players from each FC are at their house, thats hundreds of players in one instance.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by aslan132

I know tons of people left the game, because of lack of content. Like myself many had relics (+1) and were running Coil, even if most cant clear it. It just felt like there was a real lack of endgame, and no PVP to supplement endgame content like other MMOs do. It may be too little too late, but not for me. Its enough to get me back to at least try it all, and then I will see where I stand. 

According to Yoshi-P around 10% of players have entered the Coil.

Just to give some insight what's a "ton of people" (a portion of those 10%).

I wonder why...

The other 90% quit because they got sick of having to run WP and AK over and over and over and over and over and over, well I think you get the point......

No other way atm to earn the tomes besides this grind......

I know, I know in the next patch there adding more ways to earn them, but half my FC is already gone so whats the point now, there not coming back there probably back on Wow or whatever.......

Yeah I get you answered his fact with a made up ridiculously hyperbolic statement. There are tons of people still playing this game.

It's called sarcasm.......

I know 90% didn't quit but it does get old running the same two dungeons over and over FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE ENDGAME there is that a better way of putting it at least IMO......

Yes I know and you used it as a vehicle to down play what he was saying. I am at endgame and I'm not just doing AK and WP. I'm also doing the coil and garuda burn parties too and thats just battle classes.

And why that's nice for you, not all of us have a FC that runs coil and you might as well not even think about getting a PUG for it unless your geared with at least a couple pieces of the second DL set......

Anyway, I'm done enjoy the game..........

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It seems Square is really trying hard since the game launched.  Making a 10 minute video just to showcase a patch alone is enough proof of that.  Though the actual content still has to be seen before any real comments can be made.  I was watching this video with a few friends / colleagues who don't play FFXIV and they actually made the comment that it "looked like a nice expansion" for the game.  They thought I was lying when I said it was a patch until I pointed out the 2.1 at the end.

Just based on the only real information we have it appears to be one of the largest patches I've ever seen in an MMO since Ultima Online.  Though that's in memory and there may be things skipping my mind or perhaps from a sub-genre I don't afford much attention.  Though I'm really glad they're giving beefy updates and don't take from Guild Wars 2 in their "2-week" fluff; that game has been out for a long time now and I still have the same experience as I did back when I hit level 80 and had nothing to do (being satisfied with the look I acquired on the away).

It's good that serious content is being kept by companies when it comes to patches.  While I have no intentions of playing it, I think Wildstar is very much going the same way with their "Elder Game" and the massive amount of content at max level and in patches that they're boasting.  Hopefully they do the same as FFXIV in providing massive updates and continuation of every aspect of the game.  It's tiring when a company doesn't try to bring good and lasting updates or if they focus 90% of their time on a new raid and ignore giving meaningful upgrades to other systems.

Speaking of Guild Wars 2, and to provide an example / reason of my before-mentioned disdain for the "fluff updates":  Arenanet... I'm still waiting for the housing / guild housing you talked about back in Alpha.  Yet I'm being told that I should just wait for two week updates of which the appeal only lasts a half hour along with only *maybe* being a slight change in an area, dubbed "living story" (or very minor stealth changes that most don't figure out until they're gone or months later).  Then I'm told that if I don't play it or don't feel like playing the game for a time, it's lost to me as it's not a permanent feature of the game.  Lastly my love for the first version and the bias it provides for the second is put to the test with rumors that there are no plans for an expansion and likely won't be for some time.  Well, then.  I enjoyed the game and think it's launch version is superb and well crafted (seriously I'd still give it a 10/10 for box price quality at launch) I casually log in an hour or two a month since there's no monthly fee, though I just say this to provide an example for my points.

Hopefully companies take their own game seriously with it's ongoing development going forward.  Though I suppose that's an unfair assertion to someone who enjoys mild, limited updates every two weeks (mentioned to provide a more balanced assertion and acknowledge differing opinions so as my example doesn't seem instigating despite being an opinion).  If one enjoys something, then it can only be a matter of crossing opinions despite most (a hyper-inflated assumption based on the unfair perception that most games give such content, and as a whole have more players due to outnumbering a single game) preferring large content updates that have a lasting appeal over what I personally call garbage or "dumpster" updates to be taken out to the trash after they expire (or after two weeks).

Let's hope this game will keep on providing valuable updates (or the presumption of valuable as it has yet to be experienced).  Indeed, I also hope other games that I view as lackluster in content updates start to provide as it's to the benefit of those who love those games.  I don't want their downfall, but only their improvement for the same of gamers who love them.  FFXIV ARR made some serious errs in judgement with their endgame that are being rectified in this patch.  Though hopefully it's not too late; the trailer above certainly is a convincing reason to come back and see all of the new content, systems and system updates.

Side note for posterity:

I'm still a fan of A-net and would gladly buy an expansion if they come out with one that actually has some meat.  Though as it stands now their old Guild Wars patches have had more content than their present focus.  The whole "Guild Wars Beyond" patch-expansions that gave some 15+ STORYLINE missions/quests (and in GW1 Storyline missions were long and challenging and not a two minute sprawl with bandits; they were akin to dungeons in GW2) each update to the story back in the day were excellent and challenging.  They were permanent features and a lot of lore and storyline (even had hard mode versions) and rewards even years and years after the last expansion was sold and in preparation for Guild Wars 2.  Sadly, they did not keep that model of patching (and even cancelled the last update they had planned to work on GW2 more).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • guiltyoneguiltyone Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Alright I'll bite, once I'm back in the states I'll likely buy a copy.

Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done.
    Linus Torvalds

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I just pood a little when I seen Ultima's Bane.
  • Kendah.kiKendah.ki Member Posts: 17

I really appreciate SE's efforts. This game has a lot to offer; I’d rather receive a rich and well done update every 6 months than a weak & dry content every 2 weeks just to keep those who burn out game so quickly & reach end game in matters of days satisfied. At least SE is not forgetting about other casual players that might not even have an hour or 2 a day to play the game or maybe even less.

Some of us have not even reach end game (including me). Game has many features to offer; I myself have spent a lot of time on crafting and gathering. Still have tons to do and it’ll probably take me months to catch up.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I am in the same boat as "ak/wp again, ugh" but I am in a large guild so finding groups isn't long usually so I've run them a ton. Luckily we can get tomes by running Crystal Tower (although i hate the party makeup since you rely on 16+ random people) and new Primals. Also I read the older instances like CopperBell are being revamped for a HM mode at 50.

• DavodDavod Member UncommonPosts: 44
    They keep what they have told, awesome. My self I Am mighty impressed by the game, absolutely the correct decision to buy the game a week ago.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Davod
    They keep what they have told, awesome. My self I Am mighty impressed by the game, absolutely the correct decision to buy the game a week ago.

yea i would still be playing it i just dont really have the time i go to bed like 4-5 hours after ig et offen work since i work 50-58 hour weeks >< maybe in a bit ill resub