Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ESO looks more appealing to me than most other MMOs

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

IN the face of all the criticism the game has received since it's announcement, a few things on paper and show have always kept me interested in the title.

General lore of course as a TES fan.. there's more to it than that though.

First and second would be the look and semi openness of the world. These factors are important to me as a general comfortableness with the world is key in my interest to stick around. Progression far past cap, as well as room for experimentation in builds is also key to this. Good PVP is one of the biggest factors for me personally.

I'm hoping with this game if nothing else a good PVP environment comes to be at end game. WHile I'm pretty sure the path there will be fun. It's the relationship between factions within the game and the dynamics between players that is key to success in this department for me. IF that's there I'll be hooked for a while. Especially if what I hear about their late game progression plans is reality.

Like TES or not in terms of gameplay, is far less important to me than how the game actually plays and it's capability of doing what it sets out to do.

How about you? what keeps you interested or turns you away?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Argonian mooseknuckle kept me playing.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

this game used to be something i followed closely but was actually second on my most anticipated mmo list......until the EQN reveal that is.

now it's the only game i am looking forward to right now that is in development. the gritty looking art style of TES universe is what appeals to me the most along with the Daoc style pvp and hopefully it feels a lot like an ES mmo for me.

there are other mmo's out there that look good on paper (EQN is still one of them for me, thankfully its gonna be F2P so i can at least give it a try) but i am one of those gamers that cares a lot about the look and feel of my character and the overall art style of the game i am playing.

this is why i don't play Asian or cartoony/ heavily stylized mmo's

just not my cup of tea. i want my character to look and feel menacing, i don't get that from playing a cartoon character.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

I was very hesitant to get interested in ESO partially because of my fondness for Tamriel. I assumed that any foray into MMO development based on such a world would be caught with disaster. Part of this is Bethesda itself. I love the ES games, but they are fairly riddled with bugs (which I can live with) and design elements that I don't think would translate well into mmo development.

The more I learn about the actual design of the gameplay systems and the overall implementation of Matt and the gang's vision, the more I am impressed in a way that is entirely independent of my love for the IP. TESO is great game design in paper no matter what setting you assign it to. The fact that it is set in Tamriel is a huge bonus and makes me excited to build stories with other players within a world I love, but I would be into this game even if it were not.

I feel as you do about the high-end PvP, Distopia. I think it will be the deciding factor between this game being a fun ride through a world we love and being a dynamic, engaging game that stands the test of time. If they nail that, this game could be a great success in the long run even if the initial numbers are modest in comparison to other AAA MMOs.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The lore and the graphics do it for me. I am tired of playing in rainbow island.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Distopia

First and second would be the look and semi openness of the world. 

This is also important to me, but we don't have enough information yet for levels 15+ just how open it really is or how big the zones really feel. If it feels like LOTRO, Ill be ecstatic. If it feels like AOC zones, I'll be disappointed (at least the zones at release), but something tells me it will be in the middle like EQ2 which to me isn't big enough. Hopefully Ill be wrong.The PVP area is quite huge,so for PVPers thats a big plus. The ability to explore is the #1 thing I look forward to. Take that away and the game will fail IMO, so we shall see.

There Is Always Hope!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    From the little I have experienced I am still heavily on the fence. Especially with other games like WildStar and EQN on the horizon, I may just wait and see what happens. I want to be excited about ESO, but I still have my reservations.
  • inerv01inerv01 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The lore and the graphics do it for me. I am tired of playing in rainbow island.

Are you trolling? The graphics? The graphics are horrid! and i don't want to hear that excuse about 200 people on screen. ill wait for Star Citizen

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by keithian

This is also important to me, but we don't have enough information yet for levels 15+ just how open it really is or how big the zones really feel. If it feels like LOTRO, Ill be ecstatic. If it feels like AOC zones, I'll be disappointed (at least the zones at release), but something tells me it will be in the middle like EQ2 which to me isn't big enough. Hopefully Ill be wrong.The PVP area is quite huge,so for PVPers thats a big plus. The ability to explore is the #1 thing I look forward to. Take that away and the game will fail IMO, so we shall see.

How do you decide that a zone is big enough? Times it take to complete them, times it take to go across, level range of the zone?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Hmm... let me count the ways:

• Gritty, realistic, TES-like art style
    • Fun and flexible class/skill system
    • 3-sided RvR where you fight against evil strangers you never PVE with (yes, this is a feature for me)
    • No raids nor raid gear grind... adventure zones are more my idea of a fun raid...remind me of the early Albion dragon raid in DAoC
    • Tamriel online (been playing this stuff since Arena. I know and like the world...and yes, I still miss the OP spellmaker)
    • No cash shop with "$ALE!" crap annoying me.
    And yes, I'm still following EQN, Star Citizen and a few others.

Went back to LOTRO while I wait for this... fun to be back but, holy jeezes, talk about an annoying and in your face cash shop!...sheesh.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Iselin

• 3-sided RvR where you fight against evil strangers you never PVE with (yes, this is a feature for me)
    • No raids nor raid gear grind... adventure zones are more my idea of a fun raid...remind me of the early Albion dragon raid in DAoC
    • Tamriel online (been playing this stuff since Arena. I know and like the world...and yes, I still miss the OP spellmaker)

Went back to LOTRO while I wait for this... fun to be back but, holy jeezes, talk about an annoying and in your face cash shop!...sheesh.

You might be dissapointed when i tell you that adventure zones are just their version of raids with a twist (most likely a story compontent)

And if there is no gear grind, character advancement, skillpoint grind, advancing personal stories, what ever means of  advancing character and gear at max level....  --------------- >> the game will awayt the same fate at max level as GW2, and leveled some alts,  when you find out there is nothing much to advnce,  we move on, to find other games where we can start advancing all over again at level 1..

Its a lesson i learned from GW2, if there is nothing left to advance i loose interest in a character..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You might be dissapointed when i tell you that adventure zones are just their version of raids with a twist (most likely a story compontent)

And if there is no gear grind, character advancement, skillpoint grind, advancing personal stories, what ever means of  advancing character and gear at max level....  --------------- >> the game will awayt the same fate at max level as GW2, and leveled some alts,  when you find out there is nothing much to advnce,  we move on, to find other games where we can start advancing all over again at level 1..

Its a lesson i learned from GW2, if there is nothing left to advance i loose interest in a character..

I'm in agreement with you here, if the character progression stops, (in terms of power)  I lose interest in a game. (and I'm not interested when gear grinding is the primary or only component)

That said, my hope is that ESO will have some form of  points/ abilities / skills that you earn from your RVR activities, a la DAOC and its Realm points/abilities. 

If it doesn't, then I won't be playing as this really is the only strong draw I have for this title, not being a big fan of the IP or PVE centric content in general.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Originally posted by Iselin Hmm... let me count the ways: Gritty, realistic, TES-like art style Fun and flexible class/skill system 3-sided RvR where you fight against evil strangers you never PVE with (yes, this is a feature for me) No raids nor raid gear grind... adventure zones are more my idea of a fun raid...remind me of the early Albion dragon raid in DAoC Tamriel online (been playing this stuff since Arena. I know and like the world...and yes, I still miss the OP spellmaker) No cash shop with "$ALE!" crap annoying me. And yes, I'm still following EQN, Star Citizen and a few others.   Went back to LOTRO while I wait for this... fun to be back but, holy jeezes, talk about an annoying and in your face cash shop!...sheesh.
    You might be dissapointed when i tell you that adventure zones are just their version of raids with a twist (most likely a story compontent)   And if there is no gear grind, character advancement, skillpoint grind, advancing personal stories, what ever means of  advancing character and gear at max level....  --------------- >> the game will awayt the same fate at max level as GW2, and leveled some alts,  when you find out there is nothing much to advnce,  we move on, to find other games where we can start advancing all over again at level 1..   Its a lesson i learned from GW2, if there is nothing left to advance i loose interest in a character..
    I'm in agreement with you here, if the character progression stops, (in terms of power)  I lose interest in a game. (and I'm not interested when gear grinding is the primary or only component)

That said, my hope is that ESO will have some form of  points/ abilities / skills that you earn from your RVR activities, a la DAOC and its Realm points/abilities. 

If it doesn't, then I won't be playing as this really is the only strong draw I have for this title, not being a big fan of the IP or PVE centric content in general.

it doesn't. it has alliance points but you don't get benefits that make you more powerful in pvp like you did from realm points in Daoc.

as far as i know you use them to buy siege weapons, potions, and possibly armor and weapon upgrades.

i agree with you about needing to keep progressing after max level but i haven't seen too many mmo's do anything like that since EQ, EQ2, and Daoc.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Iselin Hmm... let me count the ways:
    • 3-sided RvR where you fight against evil strangers you never PVE with (yes, this is a feature for me) No raids nor raid gear grind... adventure zones are more my idea of a fun raid...remind me of the early Albion dragon raid in DAoC Tamriel online (been playing this stuff since Arena. I know and like the world...and yes, I still miss the OP spellmaker) No cash shop with "$ALE!" crap annoying me.
    And yes, I'm still following EQN, Star Citizen and a few others.   Went back to LOTRO while I wait for this... fun to be back but, holy jeezes, talk about an annoying and in your face cash shop!...sheesh.
    You might be dissapointed when i tell you that adventure zones are just their version of raids with a twist (most likely a story compontent)   And if there is no gear grind, character advancement, skillpoint grind, advancing personal stories, what ever means of  advancing character and gear at max level....  --------------- >> the game will awayt the same fate at max level as GW2, and leveled some alts,  when you find out there is nothing much to advnce,  we move on, to find other games where we can start advancing all over again at level 1..   Its a lesson i learned from GW2, if there is nothing left to advance i loose interest in a character..

it doesn't. it has alliance points but you don't get benefits that make you more powerful in pvp like you did from realm points in Daoc.

as far as i know you use them to buy siege weapons, potions, and possibly armor and weapon upgrades.

i agree with you about needing to keep progressing after max level but i haven't seen too many mmo's do anything like that since EQ, EQ2, and Daoc.

There is also 3 PvP skill lines with active and passive abilities. Tamriel Foundry also mention Alliance ranks and buying character upgrades with the alliance points, but there is no specific.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I wish they would hurry up and release some more information about PvP. It sounds cool from what I've heard, but there's really no way to know until you can actually see and/or play the PvP aspect of the game. I know a lot of people are into PvE and lore, but personally the PvP is going to make or break it for me. I really hope it's good as I need something to hold me over while I wait for Camelot Unchained.
  • ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Positive:

• art style (no cartoons)
    • character progression (could have been better without classes, but at least there seems to be some choices made here)
    • TES lore (thought most of time I just ignore all quests texts)
    Negative:
    • character progression (once my character hit max level and progression stops or slows down to microscopic changes I will stop playing)
    • quests (I have done these quest too many already)
    • dungeons (I have done too many of these with "leet" teams and with teams that are absolute waste of time)
    • theme park (nothing ever changes - once you have see something - it never changes and is not worth of revisiting)
    • no housing and no player towns (fully customizable housing and player towns would have keep me very long time)
    • combat mechanism (seems to be standard healer, dps and tanks - with standard fighting)
    I might consider to try it one or two month - but after that - my intrest is going to die very quickly. Worst case scenarion for me is that this will also kill my all my intrest to future TES games.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

After seeing leaked videos of the Beta, even though it was the first zone, I was disappointed with the lack of mobs to fight in the world. The zone felt empty as all hell.  The zone looked great but it seems as if forced questing is their route for xp.  I hope they have more mobs in the other zones so those of us who enjoy grinding on mobs have an option to grind or quest for xp/skill points.  Also, the openess of the zones, I hope theyre definitely more open then previous MMO's being pure linear zones with invisible walls and BS restricting you.  As in funneling you in a straight path.  

For me personally and a couple buddies I know this is what will drive us to play TESO;

-Named mobs in the world that actually drop loot of some form(Gives us that fun, exciting feeling that were going after something other then just quest grinding or mob grinding.  Something to go after in a zone)

-More openness to the zones(Less linear paths)

-Outdoor group content(Not dungeons.  Every single mmo has the same recipe.... Quest, then dungeons)  I hope these DAoC devs push in some Shrouded isle expansion type stuff where there were areas in the zones that were large, group oriented places to hunt for xp/loot.  For the Albion side it was a broken down old city with a bunch of dragon'ish type mobs in it and went down underground into tunnels, etc.  Was amazing.  Lots of group stuff to do. Lots of fun memories there.  This would promote communication on your side and form a better community because youll actually know ppl instead of these dungeon finders where you queue up, kill stuff and never see that group of ppl again.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

One of the Dev interviews said that at level cap, you will only have about 30% of your skills. I am not sure if this is 30% of all the skills in the game or not, but at least you have a lot more skills points needed after reaching level cap.

There are also Veteran points earned after reaching end game for buying end game gear. You earn them by PvPing, plying in the Adventure zones, Master dungeons and the 50+ and 50++ content. Plus you will need to continue to earn points for crafting after level cap if you are into that. Crafting uses the same skill points you earn for skills because it is considered a skill line.

Should be plenty of character progression after level cap. We shall see, but the potential seems to be there for more than just alt to level cap and quit.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Originally posted by azarhal

How do you decide that a zone is big enough? Times it take to complete them, times it take to go across, level range of the zone?

I know its very subjective, but for me its when I feel like I am able to explore looking way out into the distance, seeing something and deciding I want to run over in that direction to see something new. Where it feels like a world instead sectioned off discrete areas. Its very hard to qualify, its just a feeling I get when playing. Even though LOTRO was linear with quest based hubs, running around it felt like I was in a World, I could see things WAY out in the distance, and run to it and the world around me would slowly change as I ran in that direction to fit the mood or the story the game was trying to portray. That again made it feel like a world. In AOC, there was these breaks between zones where it felt like you were zoning to a completely different game, no slow transition between areas. Its that subtle transition coupled with consistent day night cycles and weather effects that for me make it feel more like a world to explore.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by artemisentr4

One of the Dev interviews said that at level cap, you will only have about 30% of your skills. I am not sure if this is 30% of all the skills in the game or not, but at least you have a lot more skills points needed after reaching level cap.

There are also Veteran points earned after reaching end game for buying end game gear. You earn them by PvPing, plying in the Adventure zones, Master dungeons and the 50+ and 50++ content. Plus you will need to continue to earn points for crafting after level cap if you are into that. Crafting uses the same skill points you earn for skills because it is considered a skill line.

Should be plenty of character progression after level cap. We shall see, but the potential seems to be there for more than just alt to level cap and quit.

That's correct.

"Gear grind" is not all character advancement. It is just the WOW-like type of advancement that we have become accustomed to where you are forced to repeat content in order to upgrade your armor and weapon slots one by one.

Advancement through AvA (or even through exploring the other two Alliance areas that you unlock at level 50) is a totally different thing where you advance the Cyrodiil-specific skill lines and get alliance points to upgrade your character by doing something that is different every time you do it. This was the DAoC "Realm Point" system but here with the added skill line progression as well.

And @ Lord Bachus: I see a big difference between the scripted instanced raids that raid-progression MMOs have and the ones that happen in open world Adventure zones - even if they're not scaleable with a fluid number of raid participants, it can have spectators - i.e. everyone else who might be nearby doing something else in the Adventure zone. That's why I mentioned the original DAoC dragon raids that were added a few months after release. I'm guessing (a bit) here but I see Adventure zone raids as more like the boss events in some GW2 zones than WOW raids.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I like the art style, I like the payment model, I like the IP. What I don't like is the mega-server concept - or rather the lack of one for the oceanic region.

Originally posted by crack_fox

I like the art style, I like the payment model, I like the IP. What I don't like is the mega-server concept - or rather the lack of one for the oceanic region.

Im just hoping that there is still a role playing element for rpg folks since there won't be role playing servers.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by crack_fox

Im just hoping that there is still a role playing element for rpg folks since there won't be role playing servers.

Yeah. I'm with you guys...skeptical about how the One Server will play-out.

From what they say, if you tick the RP box, you should find yourself playing in a phase of the server with other like-minded people...or them and the trolls who love to annoy RPers that also ticked that box just to be asshats image

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

As always, for me it comes down to how well implemented the non combat aspects of the game are. It is usually the determining factor for how long I stick around. I like a diverse community of gamers: equal parts rp, pvp, raiders, crafting, mini gamers. Ive found that when I play an mmo where everyone has the same goals and is working towards the same thing, it feels very "gamey" and I tend to go looking elsewhere for my mmo fix.

Originally posted by Foomerang

As always, for me it comes down to how well implemented the non combat aspects of the game are. It is usually the determining factor for how long I stick around. I like a diverse community of gamers: equal parts rp, pvp, raiders, crafting, mini gamers. Ive found that when I play an mmo where everyone has the same goals and is working towards the same thing, it feels very "gamey" and I tend to go looking elsewhere for my mmo fix.

I'm not used to agreeing with you from posts long ago, but this one I do. I think that was the problem that I eventually had with TOR. It just felt too gamey and not MMO like for me based on the type of things you and I both like.

There Is Always Hope!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Distopia How about you? what keeps you interested or turns you away?
    I'm not used to agreeing with you from posts long ago, but this one I do. I think that was the problem that I eventually had with TOR. It just felt too gamey and not MMO like for me based on the type of things you and I both like.

Whoa you're agreeing with me? lol We'll keep this to a minimum ;)