Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Digging and Destroying in Trove Alpha

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Trove is one of those games that doesn't quite fit into any preconceived mold. Yes, it looks a lot like Cube World of Minecraft, but that's merely a result of the voxel-based graphics. What lies inside is an open RPG world with potential for serious creativity an adventures with friends. We recently took the game for a spin, and have a few thoughts on Trove's early alpha build.

Read on for Bill Murphy's Digging and Destroying in Trove Alpha.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Not to be negative here, but why? Put aside all the controversy on the web about how much its like Minecraft and CubeWorld or any of the other dozens of voxel games, but with SOE showing us what voxels can do, why would anyone care about another Minecraft rip-off? With both EQN:Landmark, and EQN most likely coming sometime next year, would anyone even play something like this that gets released alongside, or even after Landmark?

I just dont get it, Trion needs to focus on Archage, and remaking their End of Nations Moba, and worry less about making a game thats outdated before it even hits alpha.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Why not be negative,the game is really setting us backwards in time.What i don't get is why so many devs are able to pop up with such weak games in a super flooded market that can't even keep the triple A games a float.

I think it shows there is a lot of businesses or rich people willing to fund anything at all.

This is not to pick on just this game but all the games that are popping up like this,they are worse than N64 gaming.

I do not think much of voxels at all,so i have not looked into it further but my guess is they are handing out licenses like candy with only a fee on the % of profits or a VERY nominal fee that anyone could afford.

Geesh i didn't even know this was Trion until i read previous poster.../sigh Trion was moving in a positive direction with a decent start on Rift.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by aslan132

Not to be negative here, but why? Put aside all the controversy on the web about how much its like Minecraft and CubeWorld or any of the other dozens of voxel games, but with SOE showing us what voxels can do, why would anyone care about another Minecraft rip-off? With both EQN:Landmark, and EQN most likely coming sometime next year, would anyone even play something like this that gets released alongside, or even after Landmark?

I just dont get it, Trion needs to focus on Archage, and remaking their End of Nations Moba, and worry less about making a game thats outdated before it even hits alpha.

I wouldn't say it better then this ^

Trion looks at game that succeed and tries to make something close to that game, I always felt like playing wow when playing rift and now this looks like minecraft. 

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Trion - we (I) want Archeage not this.....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Even for voxel based graphics, the game looks terrible. The "Knight" looks like a weird version of a duck, CubeWorld and Minecraft at least have characters/beasts that are easily recognizable for what they are.

I see nothing in this that looks remotely interesting. Considering my longish history with MineCraft now and how interesting Landmark looks, Trove seems like a terrible miss.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Trion has shown various times with several titles that they are not able to properly handle any game with a wider scope. (I would even suggest to stick to mobile phone apps, but even the Rift app doesnt work properly.)

Maybe with this, they have found something within their abilities. As to the blatant stealing from other titles: in Rift it was already annoying, as they never came up with anything made on their own - but with this TOTAL Cubeworld ripoff they may have lost the respect of many people. How low can they go? How desperate are they? Stealing a complete game from two people. Too bad nobody sues the hell out of them for this.

And even with this title/engine, they can't seem to get it right with objects popping up. At least some consistency about their games.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Not to be a negative nancy, but what about this is an MMO? Just because you can have a couple people connect, or 60 people connect to one server, doesn't make it an MMO.

You'd need to be able to have thousands connect to the same server for this to be an MMO. 

So, is there something i'm missing or is this just a normal Multiplayer game that MMORPG.com is, for whatever reason, writing news about?

This is MMORPG.com. You're not supposed to be writing articles on Non-MMO titles, no matter how popular they are, or lack there of.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I will just say it is pretty great to see an article go out of its way to try to convince people how great the game is (especially after all the initial negative reactions when it was even announced) and then to see pretty much ever comment be "Not to be negative but..... <reasons why this is trash here>"

I don't see this turning out interesting or fun and despite the article writer's extreme attempt to make people believe otherwise, I still see this as a sad attempt to rip off and dive into a the popular voxel group of gamers. I don't see this as a studio trying to innovate, improve, or progress. Simply as a cheap attempt at a money grab but a studio who has shown it can't successfully make a second title and who's first title continues to slip away from them.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by DMKano
    First of all - let me preface this that I am in trove alpha, its one of the games I am actively playing and following.Currently the game is alpha build 0.0.3 - so extremely early alpha.The vision for the game is imo, Terraria meets Minecraft meets Realm of the Mad God.If you don't like any of the above gamea chances are its not for you.As far as why? Because the two Trion devs who wrote the engine from scratch had a new idea about an exploration, adventure and creation/destruction game that could be co-created with the community via reddit forums and direct feedback.Trove is about talking directly to devs as you play (avarem and other devs log in frequently to alpha servers) - they respond daily on Reddit. Its about players having input and discussion about what features they like as the game is nowhere near feature complete(remember alpha 0.0.3)This is not about only buiding in game (Landmark), this is about contributing to building the actual game at ground level as in features - combat, dungeons, crafting, classes these are the systems that players are giving direct feedback on as they are put in piece by piece.

This. I didn't play Minecraft or Cubeworld so have nothing to compare. It's very early alpha and it's different. Also fun in short sessions.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Gotta love this site. So many people bitch and moan about a lack of innovation, then when something which shows even a glimmer of a new idea (still in its infancy with a thousand ways it could go, at that) people bash the crap out of it, cry about the graphics, cry about the amount of people per server, cry about the aspects which aren't completely new, cry, cry, cry.

I'm convinced that MMO devs must be masochists, because only someone who truly enjoys pain would ever willingly develop one & subject themselves to the scrutiny, criticism, and mercurial nature of the genre's fans.

At least wait for the thing to get out of alpha before tearing it apart, sheesh.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

My guess is this is going to try and accomplish what Cube World has been sitting on for a while here. While I agree this seems to be chasing after Cube World (i wouldn't bother comparing it to minecraft at all...), Wollay has made it clear that the game is his own creation and he will be going at his own pace. Good for him! But really that means it's not exactly a game made for the market, it's more of a project that he was able to make some quick money on.

But he proved there was a market for a similar game (still curious how many copies he sold), and maybe this will be that game. I look forward to a game similar to Cube World with added depth and game mechanics. Maybe this is that.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I guess to move forward we have to take a few steps back first. Not a fan of the trendy voxel type games so this game holds nothing for me. Glad to see 1 or 2 people will like it though, everyone needs a game to call their own.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Originally posted by aslan132

I wouldn't say it better then this ^

Trion looks at game that succeed and tries to make something close to that game, I always felt like playing wow when playing rift and now this looks like minecraft. 

Except that people will clearly play this game, while End of Nations has been entirely scrapped, it is defunct, no longer being worked on, bye bye, gone. 

Trove looks fun, just like the games it is similar to are. 

EQN and EQ landmark are not the same as cubeworld or minecraft or terraria in anyway.  Go look at some landmark videos.  They don't look similar, they won't play similar, they HAPPEN to have voxels as well, that is like saying things that have pixels will be similar....

It makes no sense.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

First of all - let me preface this that I am in trove alpha, its one of the games I am actively playing and following.Currently the game is alpha build 0.0.3 - so extremely early alpha.The vision for the game is imo, Terraria meets Minecraft meets Realm of the Mad God.If you don't like any of the above gamea chances are its not for you.As far as why? Because the two Trion devs who wrote the engine from scratch had a new idea about an exploration, adventure and creation/destruction game that could be co-created with the community via reddit forums and direct feedback.Trove is about talking directly to devs as you play (avarem and other devs log in frequently to alpha servers) - they respond daily on Reddit. Its about players having input and discussion about what features they like as the game is nowhere near feature complete(remember alpha 0.0.3)This is not about only buiding in game (Landmark), this is about contributing to building the actual game at ground level as in features - combat, dungeons, crafting, classes these are the systems that players are giving direct feedback on as they are put in piece by piece.

The problem I see is that once you have a few thousand people giving their direct "feedback" via reddit, this tiny dev team will be overwhelmed and the singular feature that currently makes this title unique, will be lost.

• ConnorJSConnorJS Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Everyone was right, this isn't Minecraft or Cubeworld, it's far worse!

The game is in early Alpha, give it time to develop... They've barely added any of the content in yet

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

There is plenty to be negative about.  This is a studio that should be developing AAA games and instead they just clone Minecraft.  I realize only a small amount of developers are working on Trion, but that's no excuse for the lazy simple voxel style of Minecraft which was originally developed by one programmer.  Trion has artists and many more programmers and developers, why can't they use more complex voxels like Planet Explorer or EQNext? 

When we already have Minecraft and Cubeworld, as well as a multitude of heavy world building MMORPGs being released in the future (EQNext Landmark and Peria Chronicles come to mind) that likely leave you with far more freedom to build (and destroy) the world than a simplistic blocky game is going to then really who is this game being marketed to?  The RPG combat certainly doesn't look interesting.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Gotta love this site. So many people bitch and moan about a lack of innovation, then when something which shows even a glimmer of a new idea 

Its not a new idea.  Thats a big part of people's issues.

And people are mad because they want Trion working on Archeage.  Trove isnt taking away from Archeage, its taking away from Rift.  Rift players should be furious about this, not Archeage folks.

But who knows, maybe this game fills a void for some people.  I have minimal interest because i have absolutely zero desire to do a duplo dungeon.  But this game may end up being decent and find an audience.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    can we make our characters not look dumb?
  • GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59
    why people complain that much on what they call "copy" games history and music or by far all humna does have copy from other even not originality, lot example like lor mario like games on n64 era, or al madonna like singers on pop, who cares let it be if it fails  or success dont mess with it if ur not gonna play it simple

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Game looks awesome, going to be a big hit, I can't wait!
  • wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

I didn't like minecraft because it was mostly about building cool stuff (which is fine), but I didn't play much because the combat was pretty bad. No abilities to use, no progression, the "dungeons" you find have identical creatures in them and nothing special.

Terraria basically fixed all the things about minecraft I didn't like. Awesome combat, awesome crafting, awesome exploration and discovery. The only problem is, 2d sidescroller :( :(. I still played the heck out of it and had a blast, but always hoped there would be a 3d game with the same concepts. This looks like it could be it and I can't wait.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It is just minecraft with a twist.  Seriously, Trion needs to dump this game and do something that is not a copycat of another game.  Trove is a complete waste of good developer time!