Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Question: Is there OWPVP

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
As the title states.  From the little I have seen this game will be pve focused with arena/instanced pvp.  Is this correct?  So no open world pvp?

Comments

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    As the title states.  From the little I have seen this game will be pve focused with arena/instanced pvp.  Is this correct?  So no open world pvp?

PvP will be on the massive content of cryodill (you can visit and sty in if you like at 10)  the other regions are pve only.  

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    thanks guys.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by cura

Unfortunately PVP is limited to only one zone

Which makes up 1/3rd of the world and comprises most of the end-game content.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    PvP is not instanced and not arena based. A large continent is devoted to PvP, and each of the 3 realms borders this large central area.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yeah but its disconnected from the pve part which is a big minus for me. I prefer random pvp when doing my stuff. And no, i didnt gank anybody even once. While taking keeps can entertain me for some time, its usually too zergy for my taste and it bores me after few days/weeks. Dont like instanced CTF and i wish implementing arenas were punished with a death sentence ;-). So, i still say ESOs pvp is pretty unfortunate.

There is PvE in cyrodiil as well so you can get your random pvp.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Yeah but its disconnected from the pve part which is a big minus for me. I prefer random pvp when doing my stuff. And no, i didnt gank anybody even once. While taking keeps can entertain me for some time, its usually too zergy for my taste and it bores me after few days/weeks. Dont like instanced CTF and i wish implementing arenas were punished with a death sentence ;-). So, i still say ESOs pvp is pretty unfortunate.

Why would anyone who wants to pvp want to go and hang in an area where the players don't want to PvP....to gank.

If you want to pvp then hang in the pvp area, don't see how not having access to people who don't want to pvp would impact your playstyle.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted

Why would anyone who wants to pvp want to go and hang in an area where the players don't want to PvP....to gank.

Those who want pvp usually dont play pure pvp games but complain about every other game that is mostly pve for let pvp free in those games so they can bother people that dont want to pvp at all.

Originally posted by TalulaRose

If you want to pvp then hang in the pvp area, don't see how not having access to people who don't want to pvp would impact your playstyle.

I doubt you would ever understand but MMO's should not have instances that remove people from the open world.  Random PVP is the best pvp.  This is where the best memories and stories are made.  For me, there is no point in playing an MMO that does not have this.  Why?  Because it is boring.  GW2 is a perfect example.  Beautiful huge game...but it lacks that edge which makes it boring for me. 

WoW did this right with the PVP servers, so the people who enjoy this type of game play had this option.  Some really fond memories of the Tarren Mill fights.  It kept you on edge. 

I currently play Darkfall and it takes it a step further with FFA full loot in an open world.  I was just checking to see what games coming down the pipe offer OWPVP.  No need to hate on that gameplay style as you have plenty of game options in the market open to you and we need to look harder.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Do i said i want to play with people who prefer other playstyle? No. I want to play with people like me. I dont give a shit about people like you, becouse you obviously are too limited to embrace the idea of having different prefferences.

There are many games that are world pvp,why dont you stick to those instead of complayning about games that the devs obviously want to make a pve game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

AreaPvP. Now it seems this area may be 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the total game space. I a fan of ffa world pvp, you may be able to live in cryodill though, we'll see. I'm not ready to call ESO a pve focused mmorpg either. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Believe it or not as a pvpr, I don't want to pvp all the time. When the situation arises though, I hate being told by some magical being "You are not allowed to attack this target". 

Besides that, role play. Seriously, if I played a nightbalde, I would play as wickedly cleaver murderer, quick and efficient. This is how I would make a name for myself. There should of couse be a penal system, that allows the chvalrous do gooder the oppertunity to clean the streets of villains. 

In short player driven, dynamic game play. Now if this can be created by being able to live in Cryodill, I'm all for it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Seems to be a lot of misinformation being peddled about on here.  Badaboom - go read this page, it should give you all the information you need about PvP in ESO:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/pvp

A summary of the info is:

• PvP is located in the central region of world, known as Cyrodiil.  The landmass is approximately 1/3 of the total landmass available in game. There are 3 smaller regions each bordering on Cyrodiil which are home to the 3 factions that will compete over the resources in Cyrodiil.  
    • This is not separate from levelling content, in fact you can level up through PvP much like in GW2 WvW, except that Cyrodiil is actually connected to the game world. You can head to Cyrodiil at level 10, and you will get scaled up to 50, although a level 50 will be more powerful due to having more skills etc.
    • You can support the war efforts through crafting, non-combat activities as well as PvP and assaulting bases (keeps, towns, mines, villages etc).

So there you have it.  The game does have open world PvP mixed with levelling content, but only in the contested area.  The lands owned by each alliance are safe PvP free zones, much like the starter areas in WoW and other games.

This way they can keep levelling content gank free for those that want it, and there is a place to level through PvP and with open world PvP for those who want that.  It caters to both worlds.

Seems to be a lot of misinformation being peddled about on here.  Badaboom - go read this page, it should give you all the information you need about PvP in ESO:

• PvP is located in the central region of world, known as Cyrodiil.  The landmass is approximately 1/3 of the total landmass available in game. There are 3 smaller regions each bordering on Cyrodiil which are home to the 3 factions that will compete over the resources in Cyrodiil.  
    • This is not separate from levelling content, in fact you can level up through PvP much like in GW2 WvW, except that Cyrodiil is actually connected to the game world. You can head to Cyrodiil at level 10, and you will get scaled up to 50, although a level 50 will be more powerful due to having more skills etc.
    • You can support the war efforts through crafting, non-combat activities as well as PvP and assaulting bases (keeps, towns, mines, villages etc).

So there you have it.  The game does have open world PvP mixed with levelling content, but only in the contested area.  The lands owned by each alliance are safe PvP free zones, much like the starter areas in WoW and other games.

This way they can keep levelling content gank free for those that want it, and there is a place to level through PvP and with open world PvP for those who want that.  It caters to both worlds.

Thanks.  Sounds a little like a combo of GW2 and LOTRO.  Not ideally suited for me and my tastes though.  Appreciate the info.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I doubt you would ever understand but MMO's should not have instances that remove people from the open world.  Random PVP is the best pvp.  This is where the best memories and stories are made.  For me, there is no point in playing an MMO that does not have this.  Why?  Because it is boring.  GW2 is a perfect example.  Beautiful huge game...but it lacks that edge which makes it boring for me. 

WoW did this right with the PVP servers, so the people who enjoy this type of game play had this option.  Some really fond memories of the Tarren Mill fights.  It kept you on edge. 

I currently play Darkfall and it takes it a step further with FFA full loot in an open world.  I was just checking to see what games coming down the pipe offer OWPVP.  No need to hate on that gameplay style as you have plenty of game options in the market open to you and we need to look harder.

From level 10 on you can play in cyrodil, which is nothing but OWPVP.  I'd also argue the best systems are those which allow people to opt out of PVPIng entirely. While also offering good PVP systems for those who want it. SWG and DAOC come to mind. There was no need for a different server ruleset to have the best of both worlds. Play ESO or don't but at least understand that there is OWPVP in the game.

Another thing I'd assume any PVPer would have an interest in is that the engine is designed to allow around 200 on screen at a time with little to no FPS loss, well supposedly.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Thanks.  Sounds a little like a combo of GW2 and LOTRO.  Not ideally suited for me and my tastes though.  Appreciate the info.

An important differentiation is that Cyrodiil actually has significant PvE content as well, and has been said to have greater rewards than the safe areas.  End game content will be in Cyrodiil, it isn't some separated zone only for PvP players.  The whole game is based on the conflict between the three factions.  

Whereas GW2 and LOTRO PvP zones are completely optional and separate from the PvE end game.

Originally posted by Distopia

From level 10 on you can play in cyrodil, which is nothing but OWPVP.  I'd also argue the best systems are those which allow people to opt out of PVPIng entirely. While also offering good PVP systems for those who want it. SWG and DAOC come to mind. There was no need for a different server ruleset to have the best of both worlds. Play ESO or don't but at least understand that there is OWPVP in the game.

Another thing I'd assume any PVPer would have an interest in is that the engine is designed to allow around 200 on screen at a time with little to no FPS loss, well supposedly.

Sounds like it has potential.  What I don't like about this system is that it's a concentrated pvp area which essentially will boil down to zerg blobs running around exchanging objectives.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    This game is essentially going to be GW2 set in the ElderScrolls universe. So, no, there most likely will not be OWPVP.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

There is PvE in cyrodiil as well so you can get your random pvp.

If this is the case, it is very promising.  I would see no reason to leave Cyro if you can PvE and not fall asleep while doing it.  Hopefully it is very large and packed with PvE content as well.  Also hoping that it is much larger than GW2 WvW.  If they are smart they will put the better gathering/PvE mob loot drops on that continent.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

To answer you question no the pvp is not arena/instance based  as far as cyrodill is concerned pvp is more open world than most other pvp games.

Like has been said many many times by the dev's and on fansites, think Daoc frontiers. Each faction has its own huge open world pve lands to skill up quest explore the story  and  ruins,  dungeons and everything you expect in a ES game.

Then there is Cyrodil,  the center of the world, a huge fully open area full of forts and castles to siege mines farms  towns villages citys caves ruins etc etc, tons of  open world pvp/pve content you to enjoy. They have said you can go there at level 10 and if you wish you could stay there the rest of the game  if you wanted. They said they used the entire hightmap of oblivion  for just this one area so you can bet its going to be vast and not something you just run across in a 30 min trip.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

That's a pretty narrow opinion you have there.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is probably just as much PvE in Cyrodil as there is Pvp...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Distopia

Sounds like it has potential.  What I don't like about this system is that it's a concentrated pvp area which essentially will boil down to zerg blobs running around exchanging objectives.

If it's done badly like they did with Warhammer Online, yes it will be a keep-flipping chaotic clusterf**k. But WAR had several systemic problems that led to that:

• No real incentive or significant rewards for holding on to a keep you just took. One of the unique things they're doing here is that the guild that claims a keep can set-up shop there and sell their wares to everyone - not just within the guild which is the default trading mechanics. In a game with no AH (there won't be AHs here) that's a pretty powerful economic incentive to not flip keeps. There may be more incentives we don't know about yet.
    • WAR had both, RvR and scenario PVP - there is no scenario PvP here... and the rewards were faster to get and better in the scenario PvP. Organized RvR had a constant drain of players every time the scenario people were queued for popped... it was ridiculous at times: you finally fight them off and are now ready to take the keep and...poof...there goes a third of your raid teleported away :)
    • WAR was 2-sided not 3. Much easier to scam and pervert the game system to farm points when you don't have to worry about what different ideas the 3rd guy might have.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Cyrodiil also offers PvE content in towns, exploring caves, crumbling towers, and Ayleid ruins, and finding valuable crafting materials that can only be obtained in Cyrodiil.  Im sure you will get random PvP encounters while your doing one fo those in Cyrodil

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

Well...firstly...

It would need to have an open world . It doesnt.

Secondly....

Your..."third continent" will be a...campaign with players from other servers to keep the population high...but not instanced..... 

Thirdly...you shoulda asked this in OT. I am sure they have ripped it apart thoroughly by now.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Ziegler

Well...firstly...

It would need to have an open world . It doesnt.

Secondly....

Your..."third continent" will be a...campaign with players from other servers to keep the population high...but not instanced..... 

Thirdly...you shoulda asked this in OT. I am sure they have ripped it apart thoroughly by now.

This is not GW2... there is no "third server"... and there is only one continent.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED